NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

Nrl Fantasy 2021 Part 44 - Why are people so unkind

Pain
    Pain

NFL Dynasty Champion : 2019
    NFL Fantasy L2 Champion : 2019

Nrl Fantasy 2021 Part 44 - Why are people so unkind - Page 27 Empty Re: Nrl Fantasy 2021 Part 44 - Why are people so unkind

Post by Pain Tue May 04, 2021 8:43 am

Cookie Monster wrote:I can't believe no one has mentioned at least one of Paul Verhoeven's 90's films. Total Recall, Basic Instinct and Starship Troopers are all great movies. Showgirls, not so much.

I'm also very surprised that Silence of the Lambs didn't get a mention.

Reservoir Dogs should also be on the list
    StormTrooper96
    StormTrooper96

Nrl Fantasy 2021 Part 44 - Why are people so unkind - Page 27 Empty Re: Nrl Fantasy 2021 Part 44 - Why are people so unkind

Post by StormTrooper96 Tue May 04, 2021 8:47 am

I missed pretty much all weekend around here. Anything important happen?

Screw Roberts.
    Spectre
    Spectre

Post by Spectre Tue May 04, 2021 8:53 am

Considering the prices and averages, would you pick Tohu over Haas?
    manlybeaver
    manlybeaver

Post by manlybeaver Tue May 04, 2021 8:59 am

Spectre wrote:Considering the prices and averages, would you pick Tohu over Haas?

I'd go haas more likely to hit a tonne and jump his average higher then harris by the end of the year. If you need ddp tho then harris is your man
    GreenMachine
    GreenMachine

Post by GreenMachine Tue May 04, 2021 9:08 am

Beyond sound knowledge, some good pre-season selections, and due care for your gut, eye test and stats, the game for me ultimately falls into 3 key areas of skill, and these make up the reason our skilled  players are repeat offenders of high finishes;

1. Timing - even more important than number 2. Where BEs are maximised, points are optimized and trades are only WHEN essential. It is sometimes beating the crowd to a key player by a couple of weeks and other times just moving on a fully milked cow.

2. Decision Making - it is just a series of good and/or bad decisions and much like poker, he/she who makes the most good decisions will likely prosper. Come in many forms, from choosing to bring in only first bye round players in weeks leading up (can be good or bad retrospectively), through to A vs B individual trade/player decisions

3. Trade Management & Bye Planning - not bye round planning in the first few rounds of the season doesn’t break your season, but it could make it... and striking the right balance over origin and 2 bye rounds through good planning, will see skilled players take over at least 90% of the games players in that 6-8 week period. Many will end their season at the hand of wasted trades.

Reflections so far for me is on TIMING, because 2 and 3 remain works in progress by this stage of the season;

Best Timing - Captaining Fifita against Cleary when he hit a ton

Great Timing - Cleary, Papman, Fifita, Brailey: Had them from the start and they proved value essentials.

Good Timing - Starting with Momorovski over the likes of Roberts and Bird. He looked the best value centre and maybe with exception of Opacic and at a stretch Averillo or Hampton, he’s worked out despite the suspension. Holding Tino was something else memorable with the “just one more week” delivering a big return but Running it a close second is assuming a bottoming out correctly, by bringing in Haas a week or 2 earlier than the masses hitting close to a very high break even

Sound Timing - Pre season pick of Laurie was very popular and correct, as was in-season pick of Schuster once named, perhaps a worthy mention to not picking Tedesco just yet. He’s been matched by cheaper and not completely troubled the scorera when scoring a load of tries

Ill timing - Dropping Averillo, BSmith, Riki and Turpin all too early.

Poor Timing - not buying IPap at all (yet). Buying Leniu after season start, not as a pre season cow only.

Worst Timing - still to come. Get the feeling I’ve yet to make my worst move yet with season going OK
    Fortitude
    Fortitude

Post by Fortitude Tue May 04, 2021 9:13 am

GreenMachine wrote:Beyond sound knowledge, some good pre-season selections, and due care for your gut, eye test and stats, the game for me ultimately falls into 3 key areas of skill, and these make up the reason our skilled  players are repeat offenders of high finishes;

1. Timing - even more important than number 2. Where BEs are maximised, points are optimized and trades are only WHEN essential. It is sometimes beating the crowd to a key player by a couple of weeks and other times just moving on a fully milked cow.

2. Decision Making - it is just a series of good and/or bad decisions and much like poker, he/she who makes the most good decisions will likely prosper. Come in many forms, from choosing to bring in only first bye round players in weeks leading up (can be good or bad retrospectively), through to A vs B individual trade/player decisions

3. Trade Management & Bye Planning - not bye round planning in the first few rounds of the season doesn’t break your season, but it could make it... and striking the right balance over origin and 2 bye rounds through good planning, will see skilled players take over at least 90% of the games players in that 6-8 week period. Many will end their season at the hand of wasted trades.

Reflections so far for me is on TIMING, because 2 and 3 remain works in progress by this stage of the season;

Best Timing - Captaining Fifita against Cleary when he hit a ton

Great Timing - Cleary, Papman, Fifita, Brailey: Had them from the start and they proved value essentials.

Good Timing - Starting with Momorovski over the likes of Roberts and Bird. He looked the best value centre and maybe with exception of Opacic and at a stretch Averillo or Hampton, he’s worked out despite the suspension. Holding Tino was something else memorable with the “just one more week” delivering a big return but Running it a close second is assuming a bottoming out correctly, by bringing in Haas a week or 2 earlier than the masses hitting close to a very high break even

Sound Timing - Pre season pick of Laurie was very popular and correct, as was in-season pick of Schuster once named, perhaps a worthy mention to not picking Tedesco just yet. He’s been matched by cheaper and not completely troubled the scorera when scoring a load of tries

Ill timing - Dropping Averillo, BSmith, Riki and Turpin all too early.

Poor Timing - not buying IPap at all (yet). Buying Leniu after season start, not as a pre season cow only.

Worst Timing - still to come. Get the feeling I’ve yet to make my worst move yet with season going OK

Worst trade hands down for me was getting cotric in for Turpin. And went host to Davey the round he broke

Ipap in round 3 was my best trade in.
    Happy with JFH from start also
    GreenMachine
    GreenMachine

Post by GreenMachine Tue May 04, 2021 9:18 am

Fortitude wrote:

Worst trade hands down for me was getting cotric in for Turpin. And went host to Davey the round he broke

Ipap in round 3 was my best trade in.
    Happy with JFH from start also

So terribly unlucky all who pulled the trigger on Davey. Was the best move at the time and briefly proved such, and although a different beast, Schuster’s own form supportive of what a good move he was.
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Tue May 04, 2021 9:18 am

Pain wrote:

Reservoir Dogs should also be on the list

Has Bad Boy Bubby been mentioned - one of the greatest films of all time to watch for the first time when wasted!
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Tue May 04, 2021 9:23 am

my tv broke wrote:Back in the office after another public holiday (probably explains lack of Broncos training updates)..

BE's and ownership numbers updated on footystatistics.com

Hey mate, I think the BE calc includes reserves as scoring players (‘0’ when should be ‘DNP’). Could be wrong. Could be right and it makes little difference.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Tue May 04, 2021 9:27 am

Fortitude wrote:

Bringing in Davey the round he broke was not a bad trade.

It turned out badly, but you should try and distinguish between good trades that turned out poorly (generally due to injury) and trades that were just wrong in the first place.

Conversely, some people make poor trades that turn out well. If you started the season with Isaiah Papali'i that has turned out very well for you. But if you consistently make decisions like that, in the long run you are not going to be successful. Even trading iPap in after round 1 was probably not a smart move.
    Trading him in for round 3 when he was named to start replacing a player with a history of concussion problems? That is when we should all have made a move on him.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Tue May 04, 2021 9:28 am

I had a brief chat to Mrs Cow about some of the important topics in this thread, and she said we were overlooking Reality Bites
    Chewie
    Chewie
    Fanatic

Post by Chewie Tue May 04, 2021 9:34 am

I also wanted to add the movie Speed to the list.
    Jumping Marlin
    Jumping Marlin

Post by Jumping Marlin Tue May 04, 2021 9:34 am

Rippin and Tearin wrote:

Has Bad Boy Bubby been mentioned - one of the greatest films of all time to watch for the first time when wasted!

Geez, haven’t seen that since it came out: and now I cannot get the Bad Boy Bubby song out of my head.
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Tue May 04, 2021 9:39 am

Jumping Marlin wrote:

Geez, haven’t seen that since it came out: and now I cannot get the Bad Boy Bubby song out of my head.  

Yeah man, when he joined the band that was classic!

It became an instant cult classic among my friends. Created a Bad Boy Bubby drinking game which we still play to the day, basically a chance to rattle of random quotes from the movie Smile I also vaguel recall a dress up party and hitting the town dressed as 'Pop' with an old suitcase and a cat wrapped in cling wrap...... good times Smile
    wolfking
    wolfking
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by wolfking Tue May 04, 2021 9:39 am

Saving Private Ryan is up there for me. Watching that intro scene as a 14 year old in the cinemas was harrowing. I'll never forget it, I thought about getting up and leaving I was so rocked to the core. Epic movie.
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Tue May 04, 2021 9:42 am

Milchcow wrote:
    I had a brief chat to Mrs Cow about some of the important topics in this thread, and she said we were overlooking Reality Bites

Ethan Hawke, Winona and My Sherona ! Classic
    precursor
    precursor

Post by precursor Tue May 04, 2021 9:48 am

I'll add L.A. Confidential if it hasn't been mentioned.

Trades this week most likely Niu to Fogarty and contemplating Egan to TPJ as I currently have no edge cover. Feels a bit dirty trading out a green dot averaging close to 50 but my thinking is that Egan has peaked in price and I'm trading him to a round 13 player.
    Jele
    Jele

NFL Fantasy L1 Champion : 2019
    NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2020

Post by Jele Tue May 04, 2021 10:16 am

love a good sports doco/movie - When We Were Kings and Hoop Dreams were 90s standouts
    Fortitude
    Fortitude

Post by Fortitude Tue May 04, 2021 10:16 am

Chewie wrote:I also wanted to add the movie Speed to the list.

Having gone to a boarding school, catching the 4hr bus home every few weeks. It was criminal if the bus didn’t have at least 3 of the 4 movies on tape.

Speed
    Gladiator
    Air Force One
    Independence day
    Chewie
    Chewie
    Fanatic

Post by Chewie Tue May 04, 2021 10:23 am

Fortitude wrote:

Having gone to a boarding school, catching the 4hr bus home every few weeks. It was criminal if the bus didn’t have at least 3 of the 4 movies on tape.

Speed
    Gladiator
    Air Force One
    Independence day

Not a bad selection

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:07 am