NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 25 - Sending out an SOS

StormTrooper96
    StormTrooper96

NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 25 - Sending out an SOS - Page 40 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 25 - Sending out an SOS

Post by StormTrooper96 Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:21 pm

Milchcow wrote:
    Hi all, too many gifs are appearing in the main thread.

Its supposed to be relatively clutter free for people to read at work

I am going to start putting gifs and large images behind spoilers if they aren't on page 51+

My apologies oh holy cow! I was forced into it. Please forgive me your cowness.

Holy Cow:
    mrbrownstone
    mrbrownstone

NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 25 - Sending out an SOS - Page 40 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 25 - Sending out an SOS

Post by mrbrownstone Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:23 pm

Would you grab Matterson this week if you could? I know he has a BE in the 80s, but no guarantee he doesn't hit that (or close) against the Tigers, and no guarantee Tino (who I'd be trading out) doesn't lose money too.

Anyone know which Tigers edge he will be running at?
    Liverpool_Bulldog
    Liverpool_Bulldog
    Fanatic

Post by Liverpool_Bulldog Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:24 pm

mrbrownstone wrote:Would you grab Matterson this week if you could? I know he has a BE in the 80s, but no guarantee he doesn't hit that (or close) against the Tigers, and no guarantee Tino (who I'd be trading out) doesn't lose money too.

I’d back Tino to get close to his BE.
    Not sure id back Matterson to get close to his.

You’d be paying less next week for sure
    Lemmy KGB
    Lemmy KGB

Post by Lemmy KGB Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:25 pm

mrbrownstone wrote:Would you grab Matterson this week if you could? I know he has a BE in the 80s, but no guarantee he doesn't hit that (or close) against the Tigers, and no guarantee Tino (who I'd be trading out) doesn't lose money too.

God no
    White Lightning
    White Lightning
    Fanatic

Post by White Lightning Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:25 pm

I think it's too risky coming off a recent concussion plus with his b/e imo he'll be cheaper
    AL
    AL

Post by AL Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:27 pm

Milchcow wrote:

I agree too

Origin is really just an all-stars game. I don't see what's so bad about including all the best players, and not just most of them.

It must be a cow thing. Origin to me is the pinnacle of rugby league, more important than test matches. I remember as a kid (and an adult to be fair) being devastated if NSW won, and my greatest league memories are games at Lang park / Suncorp and the incomparable atmosphere. Diluting it (which is probably inevitable over time) will take the passion away for many supporters. But like Holden vs Ford, the hard core aligned fans are a dying breed and will eventually be replaced through necessity to keep growing the game to a wider audience. Hope it's not in my lifetime though.

Go the Maroons!
    mrbrownstone
    mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:31 pm

Liverpool_Bulldog wrote:

I’d back Tino to get close to his BE.
    Not sure id back Matterson to get close to his.

You’d be paying less next week for sure

Fair points, I just worry it'll be one of those trades that you plan for next week, but then suddenly bigger issues pop up & you don't get to do it, all for the sake of 30-40k.

Will probably just wait a week though.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:32 pm

AL wrote:

It must be a cow thing. Origin to me is the pinnacle of rugby league, more important than test matches. I remember as a kid (and an adult to be fair) being devastated if NSW won, and my greatest league memories are games at Lang park / Suncorp and the incomparable atmosphere. Diluting it (which is probably inevitable over time) will take the passion away for many supporters. But like Holden vs Ford, the hard core aligned fans are a dying breed and will eventually be replaced through necessity to keep growing the game to a wider audience. Hope it's not in my lifetime though.

Go the Maroons!

Although I know the point you are making, "diluting' is the wrong word to use when you are strengthening the quality of players that can participate.
    FaringdonSwirl
    FaringdonSwirl

Post by FaringdonSwirl Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:35 pm

Milchcow wrote:

12 trades between bye rounds

first bye round 13

2 before round 14
    4 before round 15
    2 before round 16
    4 before round 17

2nd bye round 17

Thanks for clearing that up
    Finger Puppet Mafia
    Finger Puppet Mafia

Post by Finger Puppet Mafia Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:39 pm

Need a tip of who to play this week as my 17th scoring player. Liddle, Alvaro or Fui
    Ponga Yeo the Mann
    Ponga Yeo the Mann

Post by Ponga Yeo the Mann Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:39 pm

If you think they should change eligibility rules for origin you must hear a whooshing sound everywhere you go IMO
    wolfking
    wolfking
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by wolfking Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:41 pm

Milchcow wrote:
    Hi all, too many gifs are appearing in the main thread.

Its supposed to be relatively clutter free for people to read at work

I am going to start putting gifs and large images behind spoilers if they aren't on page 51+

My fault boss. Will keep them for the parties only.
    Pookus McFly
    Pookus McFly

Post by Pookus McFly Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:41 pm

Milchcow wrote:

Although I know the point you are making,  "diluting' is the wrong word to use when you are strengthening the quality of players that can participate.

I think diluting was pretty apt. It dilutes the contest, the passion and the pride. State of origin is about which state is producing the best footballers. If we start relaxing the laws for people who just came and played in each state much later in their career- it makes the water murky on bragging rights. SOO goes deeper than just rooting for a state team. May as well just make it a Shirts vs Skins Allstars once a year otherwise- the strength of players would be better, but it would never mean as much.

Last edited by Pookus McFly on Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Loomer
    Loomer

Post by Loomer Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:42 pm

mrbrownstone wrote:

Fair points, I just worry it'll be one of those trades that you plan for next week, but then suddenly bigger issues pop up & you don't get to do it, all for the sake of 30-40k.

Will probably just wait a week though.

Matterson scored over 80 twice last season and 12 times in the 50s in games playing over 70 mins. I don't know about you but I like to play percentages
    StormTrooper96
    StormTrooper96

Post by StormTrooper96 Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:42 pm

I am a bit on the fence with the whole thing but to be fair a guy like Taumalolo has lived in Australia, Queensland, Townsville since he was 13. I think Origin is a stage where your heart is definitely poured into the jersey. If you are playing Origin without the heart, the fight, the desire to hurt the bloke across from you and defend your mate next to you then you shouldn’t be playing. If these guys can prove they have the heart to put their bodies on the line for their state then I am all for it. There have been a few questionable characters come through the Origin arena of late just chasing a pay check and they get chewed up and look out of place. We need to get some belief back in the jersey whether it be maroon or blue and some real story back into the game! So yeah if these guys can show me they will put it on the line for their state I am all for it.

EDIT: Really… a bloke like Taumalolo can say he is a Queenslander! He went to school in QLD, lives in QLD and plays for NQ but I am also more than happy for him to pledge his allegiance to his family, his heritage, his ancestors.

Last edited by StormTrooper96 on Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Rapture_NRL
    Rapture_NRL

Post by Rapture_NRL Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:45 pm

Pookus McFly wrote:

I think diluting was pretty apt. It dilutes the contest, the passion and the pride. State of origin is about which state is producing the best footballers. If we start relaxing the laws for people who just came and played in each state much later in their career- it makes the water murky on bragging rights. SOO goes deeper than just rooting for a state team. May as well just make it a Shirts vs Skins Allstars once a year otherwise- the strength of players would be better, but it would never mean as much.
    Agreed. International footy would suck if you could just pick any country to play for. Just turns into club teams.
    Ponga Yeo the Mann
    Ponga Yeo the Mann

Post by Ponga Yeo the Mann Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:45 pm

StormTrooper96 wrote:I am a bit on the fence with the whole thing but to be fair a guy like Taumalolo has lived in Australia, Queensland, Townsville since he was 13. I think Origin is a stage where your heart is definitely poured into the jersey. If you are playing Origin without the heart, the fight, the desire to hurt the bloke across from you and defend your mate next to you then you shouldn’t be playing. If these guys can prove they have the heart to put their bodies on the line for their state then I am all for it. There have been a few questionable characters come through the Origin arena of late just chasing a pay check and they get chewed up and look out of place. We need to get some belief back in the jersey whether it be maroon or blue and some real story back into the game! So yeah if these guys can show me they will put it on the line for their state I am all for it.

So increase passion and reduce guys playing for the paycheck by adding players who aren’t part of the rivalry and want a paycheck?
    wolfking
    wolfking
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by wolfking Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:46 pm

Ponga Yeo the Mann wrote:If you think they should change eligibility rules for origin you must hear a whooshing sound everywhere you go IMO

Right when I say I won't post any more gifs, you throw a George Costanza reference out there? Must......hold......back......
    Ponga Yeo the Mann
    Ponga Yeo the Mann

Post by Ponga Yeo the Mann Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:47 pm

wolfking wrote:

Right when I say I won't post any more gifs, you throw a George Costanza reference out there?  Must......hold......back......

Sorry wolfman. George is a man after my own heart
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:48 pm

Pookus McFly wrote:

What's murky - law wise - is a competition that excludes Australian citizens from participation and (more importantly) earning based on where they were born.

It would be one of the easier discrimination cases to win in history if someone like Taumalolo (if he's an Aussie citizen, which I think he is) wanted to take it up. The NRL are probably aware of this...

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 6:16 am