NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 89 - Finals Fantasy 2020 End of Days

multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms

NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 89 - Finals Fantasy 2020 End of Days - Page 16 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 89 - Finals Fantasy 2020 End of Days

Post by multiple.scoregasms Wed 21 Oct 2020 - 18:21

quicksand wrote:

Would it be worth combining all debts into 1 low interest loan with no restriction on how fast you can pay it off ?
    only paying 1 fee.
    If the minimum payment for example is $50 a month, pay $200 or more and the balance will reduce very fast !

The more debts you have generally the harder it is to consolidate. Taking up the option of a 0% balance transfer or lower interest rate loan can be a great way to get the balance down quicker, although heavily depends on getting approved for those products
    filthridden
    filthridden

NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 89 - Finals Fantasy 2020 End of Days - Page 16 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 89 - Finals Fantasy 2020 End of Days

Post by filthridden Wed 21 Oct 2020 - 18:23

StormTrooper96 wrote:Hey guys,

Seeing as a number of you are most likely older than me I was after some advice/wisdom.

My partner is 22 and works for the government where most of her colleagues are 30+. She is earning some pretty decent coin for 22 and one piece of advice from one of her colleagues (30+) was that if he was her age earning the money she is earning, he would definitely go and see a financial advisor.

I was just wondering if anyone here has ever engaged with a financial advisor and whether or not you think they are beneficial or possibly just a waste of time.

Cheers!!

I think everyone's already given reasonable advice. MS is on point, particularly in the order he's set out his points.
    Subreddit ausfinance is good and would tell you the same thing. Lots of Aus specific stuff that you wouldn't hear from a lot of other places.

Barefoot investor isn't for everyone but its good for setting up the basics if you're not already a good saver.

Sounds like you're in a good spot mate, good on you Smile
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Wed 21 Oct 2020 - 18:44

StormTrooper96 wrote:

My partners mum has the book and has told us to read it about 100 times. I am not a reader... I think the only book I have read is Captain Underpants.

I know a financial advisor and he charges $200 for an initial consult and that includes him looking over everything and providing a financial plan, investments etc. Maybe ill give the barefoot investor a go first.

I will give you the run down of the Barefoot Investor but I would read it.

Set up Buckets for your money.

60% to your Blow Bucket (everyday things, rent, food, utilities)

10% to your Splurge Bucket (things to make you happy like clothes/grams of coke etc)

10% to your Smile Bucket (long time planning like wedding or holidays)

20% to your Fire Extinguisher Bucket (When things go bad or house deposit etc)

Talk with your partner about money at monthly Date Night

Have a different date night where you talk openly about how you are doing with savings. Where you can improve and your goals.

Talk openly about your money, your debts and don't hide things from each other.

Arrange your debts

Arrange them from smallest to largest and pay them off, you get a great sense of accomplishment from removing debt.

Check out better rates for things and always ask for lower.

---

Financial advise is great if they're someone you can trust. Ultimately though the key is communication.

I work for a Bank and I see where it goes wrong for couples that don't think things through and don't speak about their finances. It's important to be on the same page and have an exit strategy. My partner and I are looking at building a place together, we've put an exit plan in place if it goes badly between and we'll be looking at a prenup to protect us both - because we have great communication there is no hidden secrets or fears.
    code delta
    code delta

Post by code delta Wed 21 Oct 2020 - 19:36

StormTrooper96 wrote:Hey guys,

Seeing as a number of you are most likely older than me I was after some advice/wisdom.

My partner is 22 and works for the government where most of her colleagues are 30+. She is earning some pretty decent coin for 22 and one piece of advice from one of her colleagues (30+) was that if he was her age earning the money she is earning, he would definitely go and see a financial advisor.

I was just wondering if anyone here has ever engaged with a financial advisor and whether or not you think they are beneficial or possibly just a waste of time.

Cheers!!

Yes, get involved with a finical advisor. You don't have to do what they say but I'd think they'd know more than you and yours about how to save/make money for the long term. Maybe shop around to find who you are comfortable with but I definitely think trusting the right financial advisor will help in the long term.
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms

Post by multiple.scoregasms Thu 22 Oct 2020 - 5:42

I don't think they are popular in your neck of the woods ST, but would recommend to never ever buy off the plan

They involve contracts that go up to hundreds of pages specifically designed to screw you out of money. Most of them are built using special purposes vehicles so any warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Thu 22 Oct 2020 - 7:12

Honeysett wrote:

I will give you the run down of the Barefoot Investor but I would read it.

Set up Buckets for your money.

60% to your Blow Bucket (everyday things, rent, food, utilities)

10% to your Splurge Bucket (things to make you happy like clothes/grams of coke etc)

10% to your Smile Bucket (long time planning like wedding or holidays)

20% to your Fire Extinguisher Bucket (When things go bad or house deposit etc)

Talk with your partner about money at monthly Date Night

Have a different date night where you talk openly about how you are doing with savings. Where you can improve and your goals.

Talk openly about your money, your debts and don't hide things from each other.

Arrange your debts

Arrange them from smallest to largest and pay them off, you get a great sense of accomplishment from removing debt.

Check out better rates for things and always ask for lower.

---

Financial advise is great if they're someone you can trust. Ultimately though the key is communication.

I work for a Bank and I see where it goes wrong for couples that don't think things through and don't speak about their finances. It's important to be on the same page and have an exit strategy. My partner and I are looking at building a place together, we've put an exit plan in place if it goes badly between and we'll be looking at a prenup to protect us both - because we have great communication there is no hidden secrets or fears.

I totally missed the meaning of blow budget. Was so disappointed when it appeared in the splurge bucket with other things

On a serious note though, don't ruin date night. I've been with my partner 25 years and it's a long term plan, nothing much changes. Have the convo every 6 months or so. If you're having a bad month it's a discussion while watching Sale of the Century.
    StormTrooper96
    StormTrooper96

Post by StormTrooper96 Thu 22 Oct 2020 - 9:28

multiple.scoregasms wrote:

If you are going to engage a financial advisor, make sure they are fee for service (up front fee) rather than on going fee (percentage of investments). The later tends to push you towards products where they have a vested interest, normally making a commission from the business on top of your fee

One thing to consider is that most superannuation funds will cover the cost of one session with a financial advisor, which is enough to get your ducks in a row generally.

If you want some more generalised advice I'm happy to discuss most things of a general nature free of charge

It largely depends on your goals, but generally some pretty sound advice is as follows:

- Build an emergency funds of 6-12 months expenses. Keep this in a savings account for a rainy day, if in a not secure job (doesn't sound like it with government work) you probably want to be closer to 12 months
    - Pay off high interest debts in order of interest rate. Get those credit cards, personal loans, car loans etc down to zero as close as possible, as they severely impact your next step
    - Superannuation is an important step to wealth building, regardless of if you want to retire at a traditional age (65+) or earlier. Make sure your Super fund has low fees and good returns. Canstar provides some independent reviews (https://www.canstar.com.au/superannuation/) that are pretty solid
    - Depending on tax bracket there are a number of Superannuation options available. It may be worth maxing out concession contributions, obtaining government co-contributions or even making spousal contributions. It's generally not worth making non-concessional contributions until you are closer to retirement, but depends on your circumstances
    - Decide on long term goals, like if you want to buy a property to live in, or you are happy renting in the medium-long term. Property is one of the greatest builders of wealth in this country and allows you to do some funky things with equity for future investments (see video in comment about to No Worries)
    - Choose an investment strategy - Most popular options are shares or investment property. I personally lean towards shares but both options have merit. This website is a good beginners guide to share investing (https://passiveinvestingaustralia.com/)

Happy to answer any questions you have

NOTE: General advice only etc.

Thanks mate! will take all into consideration and let you know Smile
    StormTrooper96
    StormTrooper96

Post by StormTrooper96 Thu 22 Oct 2020 - 9:31

multiple.scoregasms wrote:I don't think they are popular in your neck of the woods ST, but would recommend to never ever buy off the plan

They involve contracts that go up to hundreds of pages specifically designed to screw you out of money. Most of them are built using special purposes vehicles so any warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on

Sorry what is this for?
    StormTrooper96
    StormTrooper96

Post by StormTrooper96 Thu 22 Oct 2020 - 9:33

So with the wet weather this weekend does that change anyone's fantasy plans? Going very forward heavy and maybe chucking in a Pappy or Fox to get some open footy in the wet?
    StormTrooper96
    StormTrooper96

Post by StormTrooper96 Thu 22 Oct 2020 - 9:37

Thank you everyone for all your advice. You all seem very very switched on and know what you're talking about. I will definitely take away so much knowledge from this group of people. I wish there was a way to sit everyone down because I reckon we could talk for hours on end!!!.

Our 5 year plan.
    - Wedding in Sept 2021
    - Obviously Honeymoon (looking like an Aussie one at this stage)
    - Build a home (nothing too outlandish, something nice, simple and modern that would be easily rentable in the future)
    - Have a kid or two

10 year plan
    - Rent out our home and build another home (more to our taste as will most likely be our forever home)
    - Purchase a unit somewhere to rent out

That is pretty much our goals for the future. I always say I reckon my partner will be the DG for her department one day... so see how we go.

Anyways lets get back on footy!!! Storm 20 - Panthers 8!
    StormTrooper96
    StormTrooper96

Post by StormTrooper96 Thu 22 Oct 2020 - 9:40

Rabbits have signed Jacob Host and Taane Milne.
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms

Post by multiple.scoregasms Thu 22 Oct 2020 - 10:03

StormTrooper96 wrote:

Sorry what is this for?

Sorry was referring to off the plan apartments/townhouses etc. They are generally heavily in favour of the developer
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms

Post by multiple.scoregasms Thu 22 Oct 2020 - 10:05

StormTrooper96 wrote:Thank you everyone for all your advice. You all seem very very switched on and know what you're talking about. I will definitely take away so much knowledge from this group of people. I wish there was a way to sit everyone down because I reckon we could talk for hours on end!!!.

Our 5 year plan.
    - Wedding in Sept 2021
    - Build a home (nothing too outlandish, something nice, simple and modern that would be easily rentable in the future)
    - Have a kid or two

10 year plan
    - Rent out our home and build another home (more to our taste as will most likely be our forever home)

That is pretty much our goals for the future. I always say I reckon my partner will be the DG for her department one day... so see how we go.

Sounds like you need to come to the next meet up Wink
    FaringdonSwirl
    FaringdonSwirl

Post by FaringdonSwirl Thu 22 Oct 2020 - 10:08

StormTrooper96 wrote:Thank you everyone for all your advice. You all seem very very switched on and know what you're talking about. I will definitely take away so much knowledge from this group of people. I wish there was a way to sit everyone down because I reckon we could talk for hours on end!!!.

Our 5 year plan.
    - Wedding in Sept 2021
    - Have a kid or two

10 year plan

Very property heavy mate, was that on purpose? Some low cost index funds could be a good option to diversify.
    StormTrooper96
    StormTrooper96

Post by StormTrooper96 Thu 22 Oct 2020 - 10:10

FaringdonSwirl wrote:

Very property heavy mate, was that on purpose? Some low cost index funds could be a good option to diversify.

See these are the things I don't know about and need to learn. What even is that?
    StormTrooper96
    StormTrooper96

Post by StormTrooper96 Thu 22 Oct 2020 - 10:11

multiple.scoregasms wrote:

Sounds like you need to come to the next meet up Wink

Well was meant to be at Magic Round this year (where a number of blokes here were attneding) but got canned!
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Thu 22 Oct 2020 - 10:19

StormTrooper96 wrote:

Well was meant to be at Magic Round this year (where a number of blokes here were attneding) but got canned!

Hopefully next years is a go!
    Shady2K
    Shady2K

Post by Shady2K Thu 22 Oct 2020 - 11:05

Looks like White Lightning is likely to run away with it - well done mate.

I'm still in the hunt for second place Surprised

Team at the moment (thinking most would have similar line ups with the reduced team):

Koro
    Bromwich
    Yeo Kikau
    Cleary (C)
    Crichton
    Papenhuyzen Vunivalu

Also not sure if it's been mentioned but any chance of an Origin fantasy comp in the same format?

Camo123
    Camo123
    Fanatic

Post by Camo123 Thu 22 Oct 2020 - 11:21

Shady2K wrote:

Also not sure if it's been mentioned but any chance of an Origin fantasy comp in the same format?

Will either team pick an actual CTR in their 17 (Wighton & and potentially Gutherson for NSW, no idea for QLD)
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Thu 22 Oct 2020 - 11:40

Shady2K wrote:

I'll have a look at it early next week. It shouldn't be too difficult to sort out, assuming the stats are all recorded in the same way.

Current date/time is Thu 16 May 2024 - 8:20