NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

Which club has developed the most U20 players ?

No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Which club has developed the most U20 players ? Empty Which club has developed the most U20 players ?

Post by No Worries Mon 18 Jan 2016, 11:05 am

Interesting article.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/which-club-has-gotten-the-best-players-from-their-under-20s-teams/news-story/8d98380ce982d737b2524eb02e503111
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Which club has developed the most U20 players ? Empty Re: Which club has developed the most U20 players ?

Post by standard-issue Mon 18 Jan 2016, 11:38 am

Good read. When I saw the headline I thought Canberra would be up there with us and the Warriors.

I think our injury runs in 2011/12/13 forced our hand a bit. I had Jake Mullaney as a carbon copy of Hodgson and I was filthy we let him go for some bloke I'd never heard of in James Tedesco Embarassed

Why are they listing Caleb Timu as the big miss? He is back there this year after his 2 year mission.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Which club has developed the most U20 players ? Empty Re: Which club has developed the most U20 players ?

Post by No Worries Mon 18 Jan 2016, 11:48 am

I found it interesting how high up the list the Rorters were considering they only have 2-3 teams in their junior league, although they have poached players from Harold Mathews & Jersey Flegg for decades.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Mon 18 Jan 2016, 12:02 pm

Your Name wrote:I found it interesting how high up the list the Rorters were considering they only have 2-3 teams in their junior league, although they have poached players from Harold Mathews & Jersey Flegg for decades.

Yep, thought they'd be bottom 3. I couldn't remember Segeyaro having any attachment to Souths, but when I googled it he obviously did.
    Beast From The Big East
    Beast From The Big East

Post by Beast From The Big East Mon 18 Jan 2016, 12:22 pm

Warriors has obviously produced the most players but that in lies their problem. With so many prospects each year, many have to go elsewhere to other clubs. And while they get gametime and flourish, the juniors that the Warriors keep get rotated around after one or two poor games because there is supposedly so much talent in the juniors coming up. The let's see what sticks approach works every so often but it also stalls the careers of promising juniors who get 3 games a year after being dropped and not returning after having one bad game as a 20 year old in their first season in first grade.

You contrast that with a side like Manly who don't produce as many players. That forces them to nurture their young players and so they get valuable experience and don't get dropped after one bad game. You only have to look at some of their recent youth products to see the advantages a system like that has
    Shanbon
    Shanbon

Post by Shanbon Mon 18 Jan 2016, 1:15 pm

What would be the best 17 to have come through the 20s and what teams they played for
    Dip

Post by Dip Mon 18 Jan 2016, 4:20 pm

Shanbon wrote:What would be the best 17 to have come through the 20s and what teams they played for

Good question, though I guess it's basically a "who are the best players under 27 in the comp" type question.

I'll go with:
    1. RTS
    2. Jharal Yow Yeh
    3. Josh Dugan
    4. Dylan Walker
    5. Daniel Tupou
    6. Gareth Widdop or Keiran Foran
    7. Shaun Johnson (or DCE)
    8. James Tamou
    9. James Segeyaro
    10. Ben Matalino
    11. Matt Gillett
    12. Tony Williams (on a good day), otherwise Josh Jackson to the bench with Papalii starting
    13. Jason Taumalolo

14. Ben Hunt or Michael Morgan (or DCE if you go with Johnson at halfback)
    15. Josh Papalii
    16. David Klemmer
    17.Jesse Bromwich

Heaps of unlucky players as well. Milford, George Burgess etc.
    Beast From The Big East
    Beast From The Big East

Post by Beast From The Big East Mon 18 Jan 2016, 5:28 pm

Surely Trent Merrin walks into that side and kicks Tony Williams out on his ass.

And Jesse Bromwich on the bench?????
    Dip

Post by Dip Mon 18 Jan 2016, 5:41 pm

Yeah added to it as I went, so you're right about Merrin in for Williams (though around the end of 2011 Williams was as good as it gets). I'd definately have him in before Jackson and Gillett.

I forgot about Bromwich until after I'd put in Tamou and Matalino and couldn't be bothered swapping them. Probably a straight swap for Tamou.
    Beast From The Big East
    Beast From The Big East

Post by Beast From The Big East Mon 18 Jan 2016, 6:39 pm

no worries dip.

would be interesting the make up and fortunes of some sides if they could have retained all their juniors rather than have them go elsewhere in order to secure game time
    Shanbon
    Shanbon

Post by Shanbon Mon 18 Jan 2016, 9:25 pm

Did Merrin, Dugan, Gillette, Whiddop play under NYC under 20's?

Post by Guest Mon 18 Jan 2016, 11:10 pm

Shanbon wrote:Did Merrin, Dugan, Gillette, Whiddop play under NYC under 20's?

I heard Parra signed Jannengs.

Post by Guest Tue 19 Jan 2016, 3:50 am

Shanbon wrote:Did Merrin, Dugan, Gillette, Whiddop play under NYC under 20's?

if wikipedia is accurate, all played the inaugural season in 2008 (Dugan & Widdop also played NYC in 2009).

Current date/time is Sun 28 Apr 2024, 12:08 pm