NRL Fantasy Fanatics

A forum for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Dream Team / Supercoach as well as discussions about other sports, ex Sportal.

    2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread

    Share
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2884
    Reputation : 299
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: 2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread

    Post by Pieman on Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:09 pm

    @ryno_ wrote:

    You can probably end the post there tbh.

    First you're banging on about the defender being absolved of responsibility


    Then all the responsibility is on the defender


    First Ofa is sliding into the tackle



    Then he's dropping into the tackle


    Its like watching a dissociative identity mental case have an argument with himself and, somehow, both personalities are losing.

    yes sweetie, you already posted that I fucked up when I posted before - well done on posting it twice. Oops, I mixed a couple of words up. Also, as I said before if you are going on the wording from the NRL rules, with Napa - He was the attacker and Sims was the defender. So am I right or wrong? lol

    Yep - to reiterate (ill post it again bud, you like that) with the calls this year - apparently we cant blame the bloke with the ball at all, so the responsibility relies on the tackle maker to not do something careless, reckless or even accidental that injures the guy with the ball. It was dangerous, that was the whole argument with Napa, and what the bronco defender did in this situation was also clearly dangerous consider the only part of his body to make contact was the knee with the head of Trbo.

    also, what the actual fuck did you watch. He comes in in a sliding motion and then lands on trbos face  Stoned  Split the posts up again mate. land, drop, slide, collide, KNEE IN THE HEAD, hit, smack, knock - there ya go a few more for ya to attempt to crack a funny with. You know you are spot when when the muppet has to pick a grammatical error or use of an incorrect word to try and get one up on ya. Should get me on spelling and apostrophes next maate! Never be correct in the Bronco thread, a couple of you muppets aren't accustomed to seeing logic and accurate comments about footy, as well as valid criticisms. Just go back to downvoting my posts mate at least you were good at that.

    My personal opinion is that I dont think it was a penalty, just like Napa's first one shouldn't have been a penalty - but fuck me they could show some consistency with the calls.
    avatar
    surmo13

    Posts : 1880
    Reputation : 355
    Join date : 2015-10-22

    Re: 2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread

    Post by surmo13 on Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:28 pm

    I did warn him at the start of all this that he was going to embarrass himself....

    Anyways, as long as we’re in ‘vs top 8’ mode we should handle this game, though considering the Dragons lately, there’s a worry we’ll come in taking them lightly, Widdop is a big in, Hunt won’t have as many opportunities with ball in hand to fall to pieces, though it looks like JDB might be gone and that would be a bigger out, that forward pack is looking brittle as is, especially considering it was their strength though the first half of the season.

    in other news, it looks all but confirmed that Pangai is sticking around for the long haul, thank fuck for that, our premiership window is wide open for a fair few years to come with all the young talent we've unearthed and been able to hang on to, and there's more where that came from waiting in the wings.

    Ice

    Posts : 1289
    Reputation : 103
    Join date : 2015-10-22

    Re: 2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread

    Post by Ice on Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:37 am

    @surmo13 wrote:I did warn him at the start of all this that he was going to embarrass himself....

    Anyways, as long as we’re in ‘vs top 8’ mode we should handle this game, though considering the Dragons lately, there’s a worry we’ll come in taking them lightly, Widdop is a big in, Hunt won’t have as many opportunities with ball in hand to fall to pieces, though it looks like JDB might be gone and that would be a bigger out, that forward pack is looking brittle as is, especially considering it was their strength though the first half of the season.

    in other news, it looks all but confirmed that Pangai is sticking around for the long haul, thank fuck for that, our premiership window is wide open for a fair few years to come with all the young talent we've unearthed and been able to hang on to, and there's more where that came from waiting in the wings.

    Seriously, the Dragons team looks garbage, and have been playing garbage. The more I look at them on paper the worse they look. Certainly improved with Widdop back but still, Broncos should win by plenty. Only game in week one that is an absolute no brainer.
    avatar
    my tv broke

    Posts : 6272
    Reputation : 1394
    Join date : 2016-01-08
    Location : Fantasy Island

    Re: 2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread

    Post by my tv broke on Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:24 am

    @surmo13 wrote:in other news, it looks all but confirmed that Pangai is sticking around for the long haul, thank fuck for that, our premiership window is wide open for a fair few years to come with all the young talent we've unearthed and been able to hang on to, and there's more where that came from waiting in the wings.

    Yeah, this is great to hear. Obviously things "can change", but it sounds like the deal is all but finalised and they're just waiting for his managers contract to expire (something that's been said for some time).

    Hopefully we have a long term plan, to keep some of the other young guys past 2020 ish.

    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2884
    Reputation : 299
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: 2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread

    Post by Pieman on Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:43 am

    The only way I embarrass myself is by continuing to rek you, its too easy. I need harder opposition.

    Widdop back will totally reinvigorate the side I think. He will take so much pressure off Hunt.
    They really have not been able to replace vaughns go forward though.. and Graham just isnt the player he once was lately. He use to win games basically on his own for the Dogs. I shudder to think what graham will be like in 2 years time on a milly a year still. They will have Hunt and Graham on monster contracts and both struggling... hopefully they can turn their form around and live up to the deals.

    Apparently Newie amongst other clubs have put in a big offers for TPJ. Would be an awesome get at any club, would be even better at newie considering he is a newcastle Jr. Broncos have done well to keep him if he stays. What ever happened with the reports that he hit is gf or something like that at the start of the year. gee that went away quickly.

    Oz Sport Mad

    Posts : 1394
    Reputation : 347
    Join date : 2015-09-29

    Re: 2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread

    Post by Oz Sport Mad on Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:49 am

    @my tv broke wrote:

    Yeah, this is great to hear. Obviously things "can change", but it sounds like the deal is all but finalised and they're just waiting for his managers contract to expire (something that's been said for some time).

    Hopefully we have a long term plan, to keep some of the other young guys past 2020 ish.


    Dan Ginnane, who I generally like as a commentator, raised a pretty interesting point last night re: Gillett and whether re-signing him recently as a show of faith will cost the Broncos any of our crop of young guns.

    It's a tough one because by all accounts he was bloody close to not walking again, let alone not playing and the mental scars will inevitably be difficult for the bloke to overcome.
    My concern is that he is a very similar player to Tallis and he does rely a lot on intensity, which in Tallis' case just wasn't the same again post neck injury and knowing what was on the line.

    Hopefully this doesn't eventuate but if we do happen to lose one of our gun young blokes, then purely on paper, it may end up being seen as a mistake.
    Personally though, I think the positives to our club culture by showing some loyalty and faith, far outweigh any pure performance negatives and thus we've made the right call.
    avatar
    my tv broke

    Posts : 6272
    Reputation : 1394
    Join date : 2016-01-08
    Location : Fantasy Island

    Re: 2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread

    Post by my tv broke on Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:10 pm

    @Oz Sport Mad wrote:

    Dan Ginnane, who I generally like as a commentator, raised a pretty interesting point last night re: Gillett and whether re-signing him recently as a show of faith will cost the Broncos any of our crop of young guns.

    It's a tough one because by all accounts he was bloody close to not walking again, let alone not playing and the mental scars will inevitably be difficult for the bloke to overcome.
    My concern is that he is a very similar player to Tallis and he does rely a lot on intensity, which in Tallis' case just wasn't the same again post neck injury and knowing what was on the line.

    Hopefully this doesn't eventuate but if we do happen to lose one of our gun young blokes, then purely on paper, it may end up being seen as a mistake.
    Personally though, I think the positives to our club culture by showing some loyalty and faith, far outweigh any pure performance negatives and thus we've made the right call.

    I'm wondering what Gilletts contract looks like to be honest. I'm sure the Broncos would be aware of the chance that Gillett is never going to be the player he was again. I'd hope they've accounted for that possibility in the deal that's been done, some sort of exit strategy.
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2884
    Reputation : 299
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: 2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread

    Post by Pieman on Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:21 pm

    @Oz Sport Mad wrote:

    Dan Ginnane, who I generally like as a commentator, raised a pretty interesting point last night re: Gillett and whether re-signing him recently as a show of faith will cost the Broncos any of our crop of young guns.

    It's a tough one because by all accounts he was bloody close to not walking again, let alone not playing and the mental scars will inevitably be difficult for the bloke to overcome.
    My concern is that he is a very similar player to Tallis and he does rely a lot on intensity, which in Tallis' case just wasn't the same again post neck injury and knowing what was on the line.

    Hopefully this doesn't eventuate but if we do happen to lose one of our gun young blokes, then purely on paper, it may end up being seen as a mistake.
    Personally though, I think the positives to our club culture by showing some loyalty and faith, far outweigh any pure performance negatives and thus we've made the right call.

    you would hope it doesnt happen, but it wouldnt be the first time bennett has stuck with a player when he shouldnt have, i.e. beau scott
    avatar
    Krump

    Posts : 3620
    Reputation : 1024
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    Re: 2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread

    Post by Krump on Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:23 pm

    Gillett can afford to lose a step and still be one of the top back rowers in the comp. He was so far above everyone else before the injury it would be crazy not to lock him up.
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2884
    Reputation : 299
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: 2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread

    Post by Pieman on Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:36 pm

    @Krump wrote:Gillett can afford to lose a step and still be one of the top back rowers in the comp. He was so far above everyone else before the injury it would be crazy not to lock him up.

    cyclops lol
    avatar
    Krump

    Posts : 3620
    Reputation : 1024
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    Re: 2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread

    Post by Krump on Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:43 pm

    @Pieman wrote:

    cyclops lol
    My god you're making a cock of yourself, I'm not even a Broncos fan Laugh 3

    Edit: Why don't you go ahead and name a few edge forwards who are as good as pre injury Gillett since you think it's so amusing.

    Dip

    Posts : 1438
    Reputation : 245
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    Re: 2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread

    Post by Dip on Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:22 pm

    Apart from Taumalolo and Sam Burgess, Gillett has easily been the best player wearing an 11, 12 or 13 on their back for a while now. And those guys aren't edge forwards.
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2884
    Reputation : 299
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: 2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread

    Post by Pieman on Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:30 pm

    @Krump wrote:
    My god you're making a cock of yourself, I'm not even a Broncos fan Laugh 3

    Edit: Why don't you go ahead and name a few edge forwards who are as good as pre injury Gillett since you think it's so amusing.

    haha

    Nah Gillett was in the top 2 prob. Cordner is a better attacker but Gillett is a better defender.
    In the last year or so tho, Friz is right right up there.
    avatar
    MilfordTheMagician

    Posts : 3484
    Reputation : 378
    Join date : 2017-06-16
    Age : 27
    Location : Adelaide

    Re: 2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread

    Post by MilfordTheMagician on Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:23 am

    Gillett being underestimated has always surprised me, the bloke is rock solid in defence. We have had some horrible performances in defence this season and missing him has played a huge part in that. TPJ is an outstanding young player but isn't in the same stratosphere as Gillett in defence.

    Is Glenn signed for next year? In order to keep our young players he has to go next year if he is indeed signed up.

    Also watching Fifita lately has me seriously foaming at the mouth. He will be our best forward in 2 years time, absolute monster.
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2884
    Reputation : 299
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: 2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread

    Post by Pieman on Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:14 am

    if they stay injury free - Haas, Fifita, TPJ, Gillet, Joe O, Sua, Lodge, Sua, Staggs - then Glenn, possibly Bird, Mcgurie... something has to give there hey...

    What a good pack they may have if they continue to develop.
    avatar
    No Worries
    Moderator

    Posts : 5059
    Reputation : 2069
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    Re: 2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread

    Post by No Worries on Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:15 am

    @Pieman wrote:if they stay injury free - Haas, Fifita, TPJ, Gillet, Joe O, Sua, Lodge, Sua, Staggs - then Glenn, possibly Bird, Mcgurie... something has to give there hey...

    What a good pack they may have if they continue to develop.

    It's a great young pack. With young being the weakness. Forwards especially props peak later and grow into their bodies. They have some monsters in there but geting solid, not necessarily bulking at the expense of speed comes over years. Forget Bird. Longer term Glenn retires, Mc Squinty, Gillet & Lodge (borderline) hold their positions with the rest rotating through starting and bench depending on injury.

    Dip

    Posts : 1438
    Reputation : 245
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    Re: 2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread

    Post by Dip on Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:19 pm

    I like those forwards, and yes it's hard to see us keeping all of them. When I look down that roster of young guys I reckon Fifita and TPJ will be special - like 25+ game origin players. Sua and Lodge will be fringe SOO players for a long time, Sua with the potential to be better. I think he is awesome. Joe O I think will be a solid 200 game first grade player, but I don't think he'll ever be better than that. Staggs I haven't decided yet. Haas has the potential to be a superstar, so physically developed as an 18 year old, but I have this fear he might end up too big and slow for the modern game (particularly if the number of interchanges decreases), a bit like Sam Kasiano, and also injured a lot while he's still growing. At his best he'll be brilliant like Kasiano or Boyd, but my fear is he won't be worth the money.
    avatar
    my tv broke

    Posts : 6272
    Reputation : 1394
    Join date : 2016-01-08
    Location : Fantasy Island

    Re: 2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread

    Post by my tv broke on Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:53 pm

    @MilfordTheMagician wrote:Is Glenn signed for next year? In order to keep our young players he has to go next year if he is indeed signed up.

    Yeah, its the last year of his current deal. There has been rumours he will sign with the Titans, but I'm not sure if thats just people making easy assumptions about where we'd offload him to (he lives on the GC).

    Glenn ain't a superstar, but I've got a lot of respect for the effort he's given the club.
    avatar
    my tv broke

    Posts : 6272
    Reputation : 1394
    Join date : 2016-01-08
    Location : Fantasy Island

    Re: 2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread

    Post by my tv broke on Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:56 pm

    @Dip wrote:so physically developed as an 18 year old, but I have this fear he might end up too big and slow for the modern game (particularly if the number of interchanges decreases), a bit like Sam Kasiano, and also injured a lot while he's still growing.

    Things i've read about Haas over the last couple of years have always mentioned how impressive his motor is. For a big guy, he can put in the big minutes. When he was playing Q CUP he was consistently putting in long stints.

    I agree though, I'm a little worried he may become a bit injury plagued.

    Oz Sport Mad

    Posts : 1394
    Reputation : 347
    Join date : 2015-09-29

    Re: 2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread

    Post by Oz Sport Mad on Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:23 pm

    @MilfordTheMagician wrote:Gillett being underestimated has always surprised me, the bloke is rock solid in defence. We have had some horrible performances in defence this season and missing him has played a huge part in that. TPJ is an outstanding young player but isn't in the same stratosphere as Gillett in defence.

    Is Glenn signed for next year? In order to keep our young players he has to go next year if he is indeed signed up.

    Also watching Fifita lately has me seriously foaming at the mouth. He will be our best forward in 2 years time, absolute monster.

    If you read back through this thread, I probably overdo the praise towards Glenn but I genuinely can't rate the bloke highly enough.

    Gillett impressive in defence also but IMO there is a significantly noticeable difference in our defence when Glenn isn't playing.

    We should be trying our best to retain Glenn going forward, especially with so many young blokes coming through and Thaiday retiring.

      Current date/time is Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:01 am