NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

Rugby League World Cup 2017 Thread

Rugby League World Cup 2017 Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: Rugby League World Cup 2017 Thread

Post by Guest Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:25 am

So for shits and giggles, here's the would-be fantasy totw for Round 1, reserves in bold-

HOK - Segeyaro 72 (PNG), Smith 64 (Aus)
    FRF - Asofa-Solomona 73 (NZ), Kikau 67 (Fiji)
    2RF - Rhys Martin 93 (PNG), Taumalolo 78 (Ton), Gillett 64 (Aus)
    HLF - Moses 57 (Leb), Finn 57 (Ire)
    CTR - Jennings 92 (Ton), Milne 77 (Fiji), Ader 70 (Fra), Dugan/Uate 64 (Aus/Fiji)
    WFB - Mead 110 (PNG), Slater 106 (Aus), Tupou 88 (Ton), Vunivalu 71 (Fiji)

Rugby League World Cup 2017 Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: Rugby League World Cup 2017 Thread

Post by Guest Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:37 am

Ice wrote:

Once again shows his versatility. Lol

or as last night's commentator would've called it - "Amazing vision there by Hayne to spot the opportunity to be born to a Fijian father, thus ensuring that in the 2 out of 3 world cups in which he hasn't been good enough to represent his country of birth, he can fall back into a 2nd tier national side playing against barely-professional footy players to pad his stats"
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:02 pm

Ice wrote:Surprisingly, I didn't realise Hayne was the equal leading try scorer in World Cup history.
    Its crazy though. The guy is just about the most talented player in the history of the game. He is big, fast, skillful and versatile. He is certainly bigger, faster, stronger and more skillful than Slater. It's between the ears where slater has the biggest advantage, plus - slater wants to put in the effort.

What went wrong with Hayne? His own attitudes and effort. He is the only person to blame for the fact that he has never cemented a spot in the Aus team.

I really really hope he plays fullback next season and gets back to something like his best. He is just so good to watch when he is putting in effort. 

I know Ice will come in and say that Hayne is a victim of his own success etc, he cant live up to his own standards and that even when he has bad games, statistically, they are still very good games compared to the rest of the league. 

The thing is, why cant he be at his best week in week out like Slater has been throughout 17 years or whatever it is.

Hayne could have been one of the all time greats - but if nothing changes he will go down as that guy who was the best player in the game for about a season of his career then was just pretty good through the rest of it.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:05 pm

Ice wrote:Surprisingly, I didn't realise Hayne was the equal leading try scorer in World Cup history.

Unsurprising when you consider that the comp only expanded to include the minnows in 95 but most of the good players didn't play that year due to Super League.
    Then after 2000 there wasn't another tournament until 2008.

In fact the only thing that is surprising about the whole thing is that it appears you weren't aware of a random stat that makes Jarryd Hayne look better than he actually is....

Ice

Post by Ice Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:53 am

Hayne is his fathers son. A friend of mine played with Manoa and said he was easily physically/skilfully the most talented player around during his days, but between the ears was the issue. I agree with you 100% Pieman, Slater is mentally stronger, that is the difference as far as I can tell. Though it would have been interesting to see if Hayne would have got and maintained that desire if he was surrounded by the likes of Smith and Cronk and Bellamy his entire career in the Storm system as opposed to the chumps he has had to carry, and how Billy's longevity may have gone had he been required to consistently carry a team. I'd guess Billy might have handled it better, but I doubt he would have achieved what Hayne has, and though I imagine the Storm would have won GFs I don't think Hayne in a Storm jersey would have been as consistent as Slater has been, and that too comes down to Billy being far superior between the ears.

It's so frustrating and not totally uncommon for some people who physically are clearly superior to basically not really care that much and lack motivation or seem totally disinterested. I played basketball with a guy that should have played for Australia. He ran rings around everyone throughout his school life and in state comps, got offered a Cannons contract and basically said "nah, too much effort,not enough fun". It didn't help that he smoked waaaaaaay to much weed either, but god I found it frustrating, but he just liked playing with his mates.  And then the opposite happens, i play against a kid and think, yeah, he has some game,  but never expect it to go far, next thing you know he is winning championships with the Spurs, because he is mentally tough, has the desire and the family support Tom motivate him to overcome any shortfall in his physical capabilities.

Go figure.

The mental game is everything, it doesn't matter what you've got, if you haven't got the desire in your head, you won't make it, as per above, or you won't be consistently great, which is the problem Hayne has faced.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:18 am

Ice wrote:Hayne is his fathers son. A friend of mine played with Manoa and said he was easily physically/skilfully the most talented player around during his days, but between the ears was the issue. I agree with you 100% Pieman, Slater is mentally stronger, that is the difference as far as I can tell. Though it would have been interesting to see if Hayne would have got and maintained that desire if he was surrounded by the likes of Smith and Cronk and Bellamy his entire career in the Storm system as opposed to the chumps he has had to carry, and how Billy's longevity may have gone had he been required to consistently carry a team. I'd guess Billy might have handled it better, but I doubt he would have achieved what Hayne has, and though I imagine the Storm would have won GFs I don't think Hayne in a Storm jersey would have been as consistent as Slater has been, and that too comes down to Billy being far superior between the ears.

It's so frustrating and not totally uncommon for some people who physically are clearly superior to basically not really care that much and lack motivation or seem totally disinterested. I played basketball with a guy that should have played for Australia. He ran rings around everyone throughout his school life and in state comps, got offered a Cannons contract and basically said "nah, too much effort,not enough fun". It didn't help that he smoked waaaaaaay to much weed either, but god I found it frustrating, but he just liked playing with his mates.  And then the opposite happens, i play against a kid and think, yeah, he has some game,  but never expect it to go far, next thing you know he is winning championships with the Spurs, because he is mentally tough, has the desire and the family support Tom motivate him to overcome any shortfall in his physical capabilities.

Go figure.

The mental game is everything, it doesn't matter what you've got, if you haven't got the desire in your head, you won't make it, as per above, or you won't be consistently great, which is the problem Hayne has faced.
    Yeah good post mate but still.. They are all if's and but's with the "if he was in the storm system". For all we know, the storm system wouldnt have worked as well and he would have clashed with the coach and Bellamy would have been sacked a few years in. Its all just a guess and with Hayne's track record, him not getting along with the hard working players and with coaches is far more likely than them winning multiple comps there. He also might have had his attitude squashed early on in his career and he may have gone on to be better than Slater. Who knows.

It is frustrating to see because its also not uncommon for the best players growing up to work hard and become the best players in the NRL, or at least consistent players. I totally agree with you about some of the talented guys not really caring but It also goes both ways, and its not like Hayne was the best player at school and didnt make it. He made it. He showed how good he can be. He actually did it. Why couldnt he be more consistent, why couldnt he sustain his peak for longer? Was a lot of what he did in the back end of 2009 a fluke?? Most of what I remember from that time is some brilliant broken field running, some chip and chases and some long cut out balls. None of it was structured and he got some great bounces through that period.

Absolutely, mental toughness is prob 70% of the game. 30% of it is being physically well built and natural skill.

There is chatter that he has quit the titans and wont be going back after the world cup too so will be interesting to see what happens there. Honestly, who takes him if he does quit? 

I would fucking love to see him play in Melbourne to test the theory - but that wont happen. 
    He would be an awesome fit at the dogs but they dont have the money unless they punt half their roster
    Tigers? He is a fair upgrade on Lolohea but is he worth the money?
    Newcastle? I wouldnt hate having him because of his potential but he isnt the right fit thats for sure
    Parra wouldnt want him with Gutherson at fullback, unless hayne is happy to play centre (which he might  be at this stage in his career) plus it would be great to see him under a hard nosed coach like Arthur.
    Souths? They need a fullback now but wouldnt be able to afford him surely.. then again with what the roosters have done, anything is possible.
    Penrith? He would actually be a pretty good fit there IMO
    I actually wouldnt mind seeing him play Union for one of the super rugby franchises but its more likely he would go to france or something
    Ice

Post by Ice Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:45 am

Absolutely a lot of of and buts,basically I agree with you, what we know is his issue is entirely his head, that is why it would be interesting to see him in the best environment. Would the class and professionalism of those others guys have had an impact? I think they probably would. We know he always played well for Australia when surrounded by those guys, and last series aside, he was always the Blues best. When he has a significant challenge or is surrounded by professionals, he seems to step up, ala achieving what he did at the 49ers. But it seems once that first goal is achieved (making the squad, getting a snap, starting as a RB) he clocks off as if that is enough.

As you can imagine, as an Eels fan, and yes, a Hayne fan, it is just sooooo frustrating. I want to see him back to his best as there is none better to watch when he is there, but the reality is, I just don't think it will happen now and this latest drama with wanting out of the Titans confirms that. Such a pity.

Post by Guest Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:19 pm

I find it a bit of an insult that in a tournament tagged 'the world's best are coming', Henry Perenara gets a reffing gig
    Moose
    Moose

Post by Moose Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:19 pm

Wales

Rugby League World Cup 2017 Thread - Page 9 Giphy

Post by Guest Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:31 pm

Tonga can win this if the reffing was 50/50. Blair was on Tolo for about 15 minutes and no penalty. Johnson pushed Hingano over once he was standing up no penalty.

Sika Manu was on DWZ for less than a second and got pinged.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:26 pm

Not to mention - the phantom forward pass that denied them a try
    And Taka passing it off the ground for RTS to score.

AND they still won.

What a fucking awesome game of footy, loved it. I hope they go on and beat Aus too. Was so good to watch

Post by Guest Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:55 pm

Pieman wrote:Not to mention - the phantom forward pass that denied them a try
    And Taka passing it off the ground for RTS to score.

AND they still won.

What a fucking awesome game of footy, loved it. I hope they go on and beat Aus too. Was so good to watch

The world against them and they won so good to see!

Post by Guest Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:39 am

obviously the quality of opponents is no comparison, but a competition in which a team with 1 draw and two losses (Samoa) is in the QFs and a team with 2 wins and 1 loss (Ireland) isn't doesn't seem right to me.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:55 am

surmo13 wrote:obviously the quality of opponents is no comparison, but a competition in which a team with 1 draw and two losses (Samoa) is in the QFs and a team with 2 wins and 1 loss (Ireland) isn't doesn't seem right to me.

This is something that needs to be sorted before the next WC. May be the same pool structure of 2 x 4 & 2 x 3, you take the top 2 from the 4 team pools, the top 1 from the 3 team pools then the best ranked 3rd from the 4 team pools and the best ranked 2nd from the 3 team pools (using points & for/against).
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:20 am

Yeah the draw is crazy... how samoa can go through without winning a game is odd
    Lebanon going through is crazy as well.
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:56 am

its obviously a product of trying to avoid embarassing games, could you imagine australia, NZ, england or tonga playing wales or USA this year? triple figures would be broken. it felt like PNG and Fiji were threats at stages for it

but maybe we just need to accept that, i think its better for the growth of the other nations to have some sought 4 x 4 with 2 going through format (16 teams are confirmed for next WC).

Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:24 am

of course its because of that, but it just doesnt seem fair that a team wins a couple of games and doesnt go through when a team doesnt win any and goes through just because of the pool they were in
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:54 am

Pieman wrote:of course its because of that, but it just doesnt seem fair that a team wins a couple of games and doesnt go through when a team doesnt win any and goes through just because of the pool they were in

Also means there is a real emphasis on qualifying for the WC, which could be an issue when many teams are forming their final teams for the WC only and not the qualifying (e.g. Tonga).

No system is perfect but I would prefer to see all teams start with the same chance of qualifying for the finals.

Dip

Post by Dip Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:00 pm

Amazing to think that not that long ago Wales, and to a lesser extent France, were considered worthy enough to extend the tri-nations to 4 nations. Also didn't USA have a half time lead against Australia a few years ago in a tour match in the US. The stronger teams are blowing these teams off the park in the first 15 minutes and coasting from there.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:36 pm

Woods with no case to answer :pinocchio:

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 11:34 am