NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2017 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 52 - Fantasy talk in here

standard-issue
    standard-issue

2017 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 52 - Fantasy talk in here - Page 8 Empty Re: 2017 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 52 - Fantasy talk in here

Post by standard-issue Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:19 pm

I was choosing up till now to not go on a spiel about the loophole.  Mulvy did a fine job in the previous thread of explaining why it is a legitimate part of the game.  His thoughts are identical to mine.

The rule that every non-looper refers to "There is no longer the ability to take advantage of the 'Captain's Loophole'", is a remnant of when they changed the ACTUAL loophole 3 years ago.  Fanhub have left this bit of text in for the last 3 seasons.  IT IS NOT NEW THIS YEAR.  They haven't changed anything this year, nor last year.  They actually wrote that at the start of 2015 when they closed the actual loophole-that is, back when you could take the C off your Captain during a round and place it on an NPR to get your VC score under pretty much any circumstances.  THAT WAS THE CAPTAINS LOOPHOLE, not what is being done now.

What we are doing now is NOT the Captain's Loopole, it is just called that as it developed out of the CAPTAIN'S LOOPOLE from 2014.  

The very next line in the rules is that 'a Captain can be substituted out during a game, but no other player can be made Captain. In that case the Vice Captain will be awarded double points.'  That is what we are doing NOW, it is IN THE RULES, and everyone is both aware of it and able to do it.

The game is designed so that you can sub your captain out-it is written there in black and white.  Just like the game is desiged so you can do DPP trades, just like the game is desiged to have price rises and drops, so too is the game designed so that you can sub your Captain out to get double points for your Vice Captain if you choose to.

tl;dr?

The Captain's Loophole WAS closed in 2015.  What we are doing now is NOT actually the Captain's Loophole-it is a legitimate mechanism of the game that is explained in the rules.  

FanHub have created all this animosity by leaving that "we have closed the loophole" text in there from 2015.  Once people realise that the Captain's Loophole was actually something else that has actually been closed by locking the C and VC than maybe we will see peace in our time?
    Moose
    Moose

2017 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 52 - Fantasy talk in here - Page 8 Empty Re: 2017 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 52 - Fantasy talk in here

Post by Moose Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:33 pm

You can't spell Captains Loophole without I can loophole.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:40 pm

I'm thinking maybe it would help by writing this:

The actual Captain's Loophole was when Captain's and Vice Captain's were not locked out during the round.  We used to be able to take the C off and place it on an NPR and thus get your VC points doubled.  You could do it with more than 17 players (so any round) because you weren't subbing the player you originally chose as Captain out.

You could do it anytime, any round, with any player.  That was the Captain's Loophole.  It was closed in 2015 and that is what they are referring to in that rule.
    OnTheLast
    OnTheLast

Post by OnTheLast Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:26 am

code delta wrote:It's gone a bit quiet tonight.
    So let's see if anyone is prepared to post that they did worse than me this week.
    Round score of 457. affraid
    Ranking dropped by 1299 from 788 to 2087. Sad
    Limited trades left but hoping the long game works.

We almost literally traded places this week lol I went from 2100 to 1200 cheer
    Liverpool_Bulldog
    Liverpool_Bulldog
    Fanatic

Post by Liverpool_Bulldog Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:53 am

Up to 1600 yay.
    RandomSil
    RandomSil

Post by RandomSil Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:58 am

Cracked the Top 5000 for the first time since Round 1...

It has been a long year.
    Nrl4Life
    Nrl4Life

Post by Nrl4Life Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:40 am

Smith, Hodgson
    Vaughan Graham Hoare Brown
    JDB Gallen Surgess Chichton LOLO Stimson
    SJ Munster Feeney Fields
    Hayne Aubbs Scott Fui
    Walker Slater RTS MWZ

Got 9 trades left with 147k should I get Edwards for Slater?
    Is it sideways to trade Hodgson to McInnes?
    What are some suggestions for trades?
    RandomSil
    RandomSil

Post by RandomSil Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:42 am

Nrl4Life wrote:Smith, Hodgson
    Vaughan Graham Hoare Brown
    JDB Gallen Surgess Chichton LOLO Stimson
    SJ Munster Feeney Fields
    Hayne Aubbs Scott Fui
    Walker Slater RTS MWZ

Got 9 trades left with 147k should I get Edwards for Slater?
    Is it sideways to trade Hodgson to McInnes?
    What are some suggestions for trades?

I have the same CTRs want to know what your plan is.
    Nrl4Life
    Nrl4Life

Post by Nrl4Life Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:45 am

Random wrote:

I have the same CTRs want to know what your plan is.

Keeping centres, moving munster down to wing and trading out walker for Pearce in round 20.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:09 am

SI's rant is spot on. The issues come from poor phrasing in the rules.

The new loophole is described in the rules. And if you refusing to do it would be like refusing to use DPP trades
    Chewie
    Chewie
    Fanatic

Post by Chewie Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:19 am

Another loophole round coming up... no Angus though
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms

Post by multiple.scoregasms Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:33 am

Spuddies wrote:

Thanks MS, those are the encouraging words I need to hear! I've got 14 trades left and want to maximise my opportunities during these latter bye rounds. It will be hard to make up ground after rd 20 when everyone starts to have pretty similar looking teams.

By round 20 when everyone is running the same 17 you will be lucky yo put 20 points a week on the top 10 unless injuries strike. Some years there are plenty of popular players that get season enders. Others there is none
    Mulvy
    Mulvy

Post by Mulvy Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:34 am

SI wrote:I'm thinking maybe it would help by writing this:

The actual Captain's Loophole was when Captain's and Vice Captain's were not locked out during the round.  We used to be able to take the C off and place it on an NPR and thus get your VC points doubled.  You could do it with more than 17 players (so any round) because you weren't subbing the player you originally chose as Captain out.

You could do it anytime, any round, with any player.  That was the Captain's Loophole.  It was closed in 2015 and that is what they are referring to in that rule.

Well said, SI. That was the only part I couldn't remember ie what the old Captain's loophole actually was because it's only my second year. What I do know is that I read the rules last year (because it was my first year) and nothing has changed this year as you say.
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms

Post by multiple.scoregasms Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:38 am

Still having a tough time deciding between Mansour or Tedesco this week. Mansour byes are finished but Tedesco has the softest possible draw in the next 2 weeks(except he can't play the Tigers). Titans and Knights are 15th and 14th respectively for conceeding attacking points(tries, TA, LB, LBA, TB, goals, offloads). Tedesco could put up some monster scores vs those two but is a guarentee for origin 3. Mansour is probably behind TTurbo for the wing spot currently held by Bmoz if the blues lose

Last edited by multiple.scoregasms on Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total
    Mulvy
    Mulvy

Post by Mulvy Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:46 am

Also note that SI, Milchow and myself are just clarifying what the rules are now. We haven't advocated for or against the rules as they stand. But if you want my opinion (I'm sure you all do!), I think it's fine the way it is. BUT if you are going to change it, making the Captain ineligible for an AE would stop people doing what they are currently doing whilst minimising any unintended consequences. Eg you would still be able to sub out your Captain if he was a late withdrawl, unlike a hard lockout. This should be done of course only before the start of the season and should be well advertised.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:57 am

My opinion on what the rules *should* be is ranked subs with a hard lockout.

No loopholes, and no need to check final teams all weekend. And no difference between a late withdrawal in the 2nd game of the weekend compared to the last.

Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:00 am

Milchcow wrote:

No loopholes, and no need to check final teams all weekend. And no difference between a late withdrawal in the 2nd game of the weekend compared to the last.

I agree, that would be nice, but im my limited knowledge about how leveraging the internet works, that will never happen will it? How many extra clicks do you reckon they get through the round by having the rolling lockout?
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:02 am

Milchcow wrote:

This would be ideal imo. i'm normally well on top of team changes for each game but i've fallen victim to a late switch this year when I was out and didn't know about it. Must suck for people who work weekends/live OS/etc.

It will probably never happen as it would mean less clicks on the site through-out the weekend.

EDIT: rippin just said the same thing aha
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:04 am

Speaking of Angus VC, Souths play the roosters in the friday night game in round 18, guessing there will be a tonne of VC's on him that game as well haha
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:04 am

Kudos to @SI and @mulvy (and anyone else) for privdiing some context and clarity around what we now call the "captains loophole" you guys make a whole lot of sense.

Fantasy seems to stir up a whole heap of emotions in people when things don't go well and when there is a bit of ignorance thrown into the mix too things get even worse. It's good that you guys have cleared this up.

On top of that though it would be really nice if the rules could be ironed out a bit. The "captains loophole" as it stands is an odd part of the game and whilst I completely agree that there is nothing wrong in doing it, it does feel like it is a glitch in the way the game works that should be cleaned up.

But at least its not as bad as VTSD NFL and Super Rugby fantasy,. So many loopholes in those comps its not funny!!

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 11:21 pm