NRL Fantasy Fanatics

A forum for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Dream Team / Supercoach as well as discussions about other sports, ex Sportal.

    QLD State of Origin 2017 Thread

    Share

    Ice

    Posts : 723
    Reputation : 34
    Join date : 2015-10-22

    Re: QLD State of Origin 2017 Thread

    Post by Ice on Wed May 17, 2017 8:57 am

    ryno_ wrote:

    Thaiday will be there ahead of Kaufusi. I tend to agree that Gagai in centres with Oates on the wing is a better side but I think theyll stick ONiell there from last years squad.

    Hess is a unit and would be in my side from the bench but I can see them picking Guerra just so theres a bit of forward pack continuity from last year with Scott & Parker dropping out.

    3 in a row.

    Agree 3 in a row is likely with your spine regardless of who else is selected. Hopefully NSW can win one of the first two so at least there is a decider.
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2035
    Reputation : 166
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: QLD State of Origin 2017 Thread

    Post by Pieman on Wed May 17, 2017 10:32 am

    any side that has smith, slater, cronk and thurston in it should be the clear fav in every single match they play.

    also, whats wrong with putting boyd at centre?

    Dip

    Posts : 1186
    Reputation : 163
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    Re: QLD State of Origin 2017 Thread

    Post by Dip on Wed May 17, 2017 11:12 am

    If JT is ruled out, and Moloney is picked 5/8 for NSW, it would almost definitely be the first time since Matt Ballin filled in for Cam Smith for one match in 2010 that NSW has had even one spine player who is better player (or at least as good as) than their opposite number. Even when Cronk was out DCE was a better halfback than Trent Hodkinson. Before that god knows how far back you'd have to go.

    Ice

    Posts : 723
    Reputation : 34
    Join date : 2015-10-22

    Re: QLD State of Origin 2017 Thread

    Post by Ice on Wed May 17, 2017 5:38 pm

    Dip wrote:If JT is ruled out, and Moloney is picked 5/8 for NSW, it would almost definitely be the first time since Matt Ballin filled in for Cam Smith for one match in 2010 that NSW has had even one spine player who is better player (or at least as good as) than their opposite number. Even when Cronk was out DCE was a better halfback than Trent Hodkinson. Before that god knows how far back you'd have to go.

    Hayne when NSW won the series, der.

    Dip

    Posts : 1186
    Reputation : 163
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    Re: QLD State of Origin 2017 Thread

    Post by Dip on Wed May 17, 2017 5:48 pm

    Ice wrote:

    Hayne when NSW won the series, der.

    Slater is a better player than Hayne. IMO anyway.
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2035
    Reputation : 166
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: QLD State of Origin 2017 Thread

    Post by Pieman on Wed May 17, 2017 6:06 pm

    Dip wrote:

    Slater is a better player than Hayne. IMO anyway.
    I agree

    Hayne is a better left winger than boyd tho - sure boyd has scored a lot of tries sitting on the end of the best backline ever, but hayne has regularly been a standout in a side that regularly gets beaten, From the wing.
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2035
    Reputation : 166
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: QLD State of Origin 2017 Thread

    Post by Pieman on Wed May 17, 2017 6:14 pm

    Also, what illness will go through the squad this year?
    Also, Thurston Def will not play. 100%. Its all smoke and mirrors.

    Ice

    Posts : 723
    Reputation : 34
    Join date : 2015-10-22

    Re: QLD State of Origin 2017 Thread

    Post by Ice on Wed May 17, 2017 6:48 pm

    Dip wrote:

    Slater is a better player than Hayne. IMO anyway.

    Not at his best. I agree Slater has consistently performed at a higher level and is a fantastic player who has been part of the best spine we have ever seen, but he has never had to carry a team, from play making, to kicking plus have to play the key role of FB or centre or winger or 6 and still be expected to dominate every game like Hayne has. Slater has had the advantage of Smith and Cronk and the stability of that and the storm and has dominated because of it and all credit to him. But the one time he faced Hayne in a three match series, we all saw what happened. At his best, Hayne is better, no question, but Slater absolutely has had the better career at FB.
    avatar
    dasherhalo

    Posts : 466
    Reputation : 101
    Join date : 2015-10-23

    Re: QLD State of Origin 2017 Thread

    Post by dasherhalo on Wed May 17, 2017 8:39 pm

    Ice wrote:

    Not at his best. I agree Slater has consistently performed at a higher level and is a fantastic player who has been part of the best spine we have ever seen, but he has never had to carry a team, from play making, to kicking plus have to play the key role of FB or centre or winger or 6 and still be expected to dominate every game like Hayne has. Slater has had the advantage of Smith and Cronk and the stability of that and the storm and has dominated because of it and all credit to him. But the one time he faced Hayne in a three match series, we all saw what happened.  At his best, Hayne is better,  no question, but Slater absolutely has had the better career at FB.


    Dip

    Posts : 1186
    Reputation : 163
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    Re: QLD State of Origin 2017 Thread

    Post by Dip on Wed May 17, 2017 10:05 pm

    So we agree, Slater is a better player. So do the national selectors, since Slater has been picked at fullback 25 times, and Hayne zero times ( not counting the Fiji selectors in the 2008 World Cup when Hayne wasn't picked in the Australian squad).

    Plus remember those times he wasn't good enough to be selected at fullback, and when he did they got thrashed.

    The old "at his best" argument is what you use when you're wrong. At their best Owen Craigie and Ewan McGrady were two of the best players of the 80s and 90s.
    avatar
    Honeysett
    Moderator

    Posts : 4995
    Reputation : 1482
    Join date : 2015-09-28
    Age : 30
    Location : Scarborough

    Re: QLD State of Origin 2017 Thread

    Post by Honeysett on Wed May 17, 2017 11:29 pm

    Slater is the better fullback. Hayne I feel the better complete player. However Slater didn't need to be tested anywhere else. He's one of the best fullbacks ever.

    However every time Hayne has played fullback for NSW we have won the game. Sans Game 3 2014 when we had already won the series.
    avatar
    Welshy
    Moderator

    Posts : 8989
    Reputation : 1373
    Join date : 2015-09-16
    Age : 29
    Location : Wales

    Re: QLD State of Origin 2017 Thread

    Post by Welshy on Wed May 17, 2017 11:41 pm

    Slater has the caps because of the complete spine with Cronk and Smith at club level not just because he is a better player than Hayne

    Slater is one of the best ever, that's a given but without the other 2 his top level isn't the same as Hayne IMO

    Dip

    Posts : 1186
    Reputation : 163
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    Re: QLD State of Origin 2017 Thread

    Post by Dip on Wed May 17, 2017 11:43 pm

    Honeysett wrote:Slater is the better fullback. Hayne I feel the better complete player. However Slater didn't need to be tested anywhere else. He's one of the best fullbacks ever.

    However every time Hayne has played fullback for NSW we have won the game. Sans Game 3 2014 when we had already won the series.

    Game 2 & 3 in 2010 were losses too.

    Dip

    Posts : 1186
    Reputation : 163
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    Re: QLD State of Origin 2017 Thread

    Post by Dip on Wed May 17, 2017 11:53 pm

    Welshy wrote:Slater has the caps because of the complete spine with Cronk and Smith at club level not just because he is a better player than Hayne

    Slater is one of the best ever, that's a given but without the other 2 his top level isn't the same as Hayne IMO

    Cronk didn't establish himself as halfback in rep teams until after Lockyer retired at the end of the 2011 season. By that time Slater had played 17 tests at fullback.

    Hayne is a fantastic player, for sure, and at his best, was probably with Inglis and SBW the player that had the highest ceiling. But better players play consistently good more often, which is why Slater is better. Hayne would still be one of the top 6-10 players of the last decade IMO. Slater would be 3-5. I think most people would agree with that.
    avatar
    Honeysett
    Moderator

    Posts : 4995
    Reputation : 1482
    Join date : 2015-09-28
    Age : 30
    Location : Scarborough

    Re: QLD State of Origin 2017 Thread

    Post by Honeysett on Thu May 18, 2017 12:17 am

    Dip wrote:

    Game 2 & 3 in 2010 were losses too.

    Ah yep forgive me, the site I was looking at didn't show that clearly.
    avatar
    Welshy
    Moderator

    Posts : 8989
    Reputation : 1373
    Join date : 2015-09-16
    Age : 29
    Location : Wales

    Re: QLD State of Origin 2017 Thread

    Post by Welshy on Thu May 18, 2017 12:22 am

    Dip wrote:

    Cronk didn't establish himself as halfback in rep teams until after Lockyer retired at the end of the 2011 season. By that time Slater had played 17 tests at fullback.

    Hayne is a fantastic player, for sure, and at his best, was probably with Inglis and SBW the player that had the highest ceiling. But better players play consistently good more often, which is why Slater is better. Hayne would still be one of the top 6-10 players of the last decade IMO. Slater would be 3-5. I think most people would agree with that.
    Cronk/Locky same consistent spine with Smith was the main thought process mate

    consistency is wildly underrated and Slater always been at the top of the game, also agree with the sentiment about the highest ceiling, which is why I had a hard time seperating them, just think Hayne has the most talent
    avatar
    dasherhalo

    Posts : 466
    Reputation : 101
    Join date : 2015-10-23

    Re: QLD State of Origin 2017 Thread

    Post by dasherhalo on Thu May 18, 2017 7:07 am

    How come Slater is only "good" because of Lockyer, Smith, JT & Cronk when it comes to Hayne's comparisons?

    I'd like to see this from Hayne advocates one day.

    "Hayne crushed it in the centres when he played for Australia, which makes him a much more versatile, complete player than Slater. Of course, he was playing with Cronk and Smith and JT in those games, so it's probably just a reflection on how good those guys are. Anyone could have performed well with the quality of the spine he was playing with".

    avatar
    ryno_

    Posts : 1325
    Reputation : 227
    Join date : 2015-09-27
    Age : 28

    Re: QLD State of Origin 2017 Thread

    Post by ryno_ on Thu May 18, 2017 7:34 am

    People saying that Hayne at his best is better then Slater are comparing Hayne's peak to Slater's everyday and forgetting that Billy scored one of the greatest origin tries of all time (albeit as a winger).

    Dip

    Posts : 1186
    Reputation : 163
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    Re: QLD State of Origin 2017 Thread

    Post by Dip on Thu May 18, 2017 9:42 am

    I remember the last 2 months of 2011 when Tony Williams was unstoppable. All hail the best back rower of the modern generation...

    Dip

    Posts : 1186
    Reputation : 163
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    Re: QLD State of Origin 2017 Thread

    Post by Dip on Thu May 18, 2017 9:50 am

    Welshy wrote:
    Cronk/Locky same consistent spine with Smith was the main thought process mate

    If they wanted consistency in the spine they would have just stuck with Lockyer at 5/8 and Hunt at Fullback. Slater replaced Hunt as he was the best fullback in the game at the time, and he has been since (injury aside).

      Current date/time is Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:14 am