NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

QLD State of Origin 2019 Thread

RandomSil
    RandomSil

QLD State of Origin 2019 Thread Empty QLD State of Origin 2019 Thread

Post by RandomSil Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:35 am

A thread to celebrate talk about the State of Origin Winners Queensland Team.

1. Darius Boyd
    2. Corey Oates
    3. Will Chambers
    4. Justin O'Neill
    5. Dane Gagai
    6. Johnathon Thurston
    7. Cooper Cronk
    8. Josh McGuire
    9. Cameron Smith
    10. Nate Myles
    11. Matt Gillett
    12. Sam Thaiday
    13. Aidan Guerra

14. Michael Morgan
    15. Josh Papalii
    16. Ethan Lowe
    17. Jacob Lillyman

18. Dylan Napa

Two main questions for our side are...

Who fills the 2 spots open in the pack due to Parkers retirement and Scott's injury.
    If Slater is fit, does he oust Boyd or force one of the Wingers to drop.

The front runners for the 2 slots in the forwards would be filled by 2/3 of Lillyman, Lowe, Napa. I think if Slater is ready for Origin and has form that the loyalty we show means Slater is in the team. However he will have to show some incredible form to bump Boyd out and I think O'Neill or Oates will miss out.
    ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

QLD State of Origin 2019 Thread Empty Re: QLD State of Origin 2019 Thread

Post by ryno_ Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:47 am

Ill be surprised if Slater is there, just because I doubt his shoulder will hold up to 10 weeks of football first.

For mine, its a straight swap, Parker for McGuire & Scott for Napa.

B/L
    B/L

Post by B/L Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:33 am

Myles is cooked, dont want him there.
    RandomSil
    RandomSil

Post by RandomSil Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:57 am

B/L wrote:Myles is cooked, dont want him there.

I agree, but I think the QLD team is too loyal to a point and expect him to be there. Perhaps on the bench.

Post by Guest Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:13 am

Coen Hess over Guerra. Also is Jarrod Wallace a QLDer? Surely he would be better then Myles.
    Dip

Post by Dip Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:15 am

My team:
    1. Boyd
    2. Munster
    3. Chambers
    4. Gagai
    5. Holmes
    6. Thurston
    7. Cronk
    8. McGuire
    9. Smith
    10. Napa
    11. Gillett
    12. Cooper
    13. Papalii

14. Morgan
    15. Thaiday
    16. Lillyman
    17. Guerra

We might be 1 big man short until Napa finds his feet, but soon enough I see McGuire and Napa being big minute props, so having Lillyman, with some support from Thaiday and Papalii as metre eaters will be fine IMO.

I do suspect though that if Slater comes back something like he has he goes straight to fullback with Boyd on the wing. I also think O'Neill will be picked at Centre with Gagai on the wing ahead of Holmes. I reckon Thaiday will start for Cooper as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Myles makes it, but it'd be a loyalty weakness IMO, a bit like when Harrison was picked before Parker.
    Dip

Post by Dip Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:21 am

Bren wrote:Coen Hess over Guerra. Also is Jarrod Wallace a QLDer? Surely he would be better then Myles.

Wallace has been great the first couple of weeks. I forgot him and he can certainly push for a bench spot. Hess will play lots of Origin in the future IMO, but right now I'd go Cooper and Guerra ahead of him. Hess probably is the right age to take over from Cooper and Thaiday when they retire, which you'd think is reasonably soon - maybe after 2018 season.

Myles shouldn't have really been there last year, and probably wouldn't have been if Napa behaved himself on Emerging Maroon's camp. You'd think as a succession plan he'd have to be replaced this year. When Thurston, Smith, Cronk, Slater, Thaiday, Lillyman and Myles retire, you don't want to have to replace half a team. Slater may never come back and you'd think the last 3 I've named are more expendable than the first 3.
    Dip

Post by Dip Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:24 am

I'm sure one thing we can all agree on is that if a team something like that is picked, then it's really only bad refereeing, injury or complacency that can cost us a series win (and lets be honest, it'll probably take 2 or 3 of those as we've been overcoming bad refereeing for the last decade).
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:18 am

Hurry up and build that fence you skanky bitches.

Post by Guest Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:42 am

Revraiser wrote:Hurry up and build that fence you skanky bitches.

Just waiting on Donald Trumps approval first.
    code delta
    code delta

Post by code delta Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:10 am

Bren wrote:

Just waiting on Donald Trumps approval first.
    He'll do that via tweeter tonight hopefully.
    Mr Fernando
    Mr Fernando

Post by Mr Fernando Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:53 pm

Myles is one of my all time QLD favorites but I don't think he can be picked.

Harrison should have made way for Parker well before he did, that was a mistake, but at least he was still a capable player. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong but I don't think Myles has anything left to give. He's an average to below average NRL prop these days, let alone Origin standard.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:53 pm

Dip wrote:My team:
    1. Boyd
    2. Munster
    3. Chambers
    4. Gagai
    5. Holmes
    6. Thurston
    7. Cronk
    8. McGuire
    9. Smith
    10. Napa
    11. Gillett
    12. Cooper
    13. Papalii

14. Morgan
    15. Thaiday
    16. Lillyman
    17. Guerra

We might be 1 big man short until Napa finds his feet, but soon enough I see McGuire and Napa being big minute props, so having Lillyman, with some support from Thaiday and Papalii as metre eaters will be fine IMO.

I do suspect though that if Slater comes back something like he has he goes straight to fullback with Boyd on the wing. I also think O'Neill will be picked at Centre with Gagai on the wing ahead of Holmes. I reckon Thaiday will start for Cooper as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Myles makes it, but it'd be a loyalty weakness IMO, a bit like when Harrison was picked before Parker.

Swap Munster and Gagai there mate. Gagai is a better winger than Munster
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:50 pm

I would fucking love QLD to pick Guerra, he has seemingly regressed severely since his origin introduction, wouldn't be surprised to see Matterson push him out of the Rooster starting side real soon.

Lowe has to be under consideration surely?
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:24 pm

Mr Fernando wrote:Myles is one of my all time QLD favorites but I don't think he can be picked.  

Harrison should have made way for Parker well before he did, that was a mistake, but at least he was still a capable player. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong but I don't think Myles has anything left to give.  He's an average to below average NRL prop these days, let alone Origin standard.  

It's a tough call mate on two counts.

One is that he is certainly a bloke that finds an extra two or three gears at Origin.

Two is that we have lost Scott now too.

I personally think the time had come to move on...but now he's back in contention.
    If I was Kevvie though I'd be on the phone to him letting him know that he needs to prove he still has it over the next couple of months.
    ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Post by ryno_ Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:59 pm

Guerra and Myles are built for Origin. We picked Costigan and Harrison for years after their peak out of loyalty (hell, Lilyman aswell) and it paid dividends. If we turn our back on that, we turn into *shudder* NSW with their ever rotating side.
    Dip

Post by Dip Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:05 am

There's no reason not to pick Guerra. Sure he hasn't been in tremendous form at club level for a while but he's always shown he's up to it at Origin, and he still has plenty of life in him. I don't think he's necessarily peaked, but he is in a form slump.

I don't think you can put Myles in the same boat. I don't think he's in a form slump, I just think that's where he's at now. Of course, if he is selected (and personally I'd still have him next forward selected in the team I picked) then he'll rise to the occasion and do the job necessary, I have no doubt of that. Personally I just can't put him ahead of any of the guys I selected in front of him.

Lillyman suffers from a lack of week to week publicity from playing in NZ in my opinion. He's been the form bench prop from either team in the last couple of years in origin, ,and while the starting props go close to cancelling each other out, I think we've really kept our go forward happening after he comes into the game compared to the NSW prop rotation. I'd be really disappointed if he was dropped. In my preferred team I was actually going to start with him instead of McGuire, except for the impact he's had coming off the bench. If Matt Scott was uninjured he'd definitely be in the team, but it wouldn't be Lillyman I'd drop, it'd be either Cooper, McGuire, Thaiday or Guerra (probably in that order).

If Myles is picked the real question is who's going to have a cry about getting headbutted now that Gallen has retired? My guess is like club football, probably no-one.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:36 am

The reason Myles is useless now is because he's used his head in tackles so much that he can't remember how to run hard. We're lucky he didn't do more damage in tackles.
    Dip

Post by Dip Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:21 am

Honeysett wrote:The reason Myles is useless now is because he's used his head in tackles so much that he can't remember how to run hard. We're lucky he didn't do more damage in tackles.

Lol. That's why including those times in origin, he was charged with it a grand total of zero times in a career now in its 13th season in the NRL (as opposed to that time Gallen was suspended for actually doing a headbutt).
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:27 am

Dip wrote:

Lol. That's why including those times in origin, he was charged with it a grand total of zero times in a career now in its 13th season in the NRL (as opposed to that time Gallen was suspended for actually doing a headbutt).

Because QLDers are a protected species. The same reason Slater doesn't have a rap sheet a mile long.

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:44 am