NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2017 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 1

Milchcow
    Milchcow

2017 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 1 - Page 36 Empty Re: 2017 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 1

Post by Milchcow Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:00 pm

Rabbit wrote:Some good info here guys. I thought Sua from the Broncs showed good fantasy potential last year and figured he would be looking at a regular spot this year, but no ones talking about him. Am I missing something? I thought he and Arrow were at least on par.

Su'a is too expensive to be worth the risk fantasy wise. Better options at the price, unless you think he is going to really kick on
    Chewie
    Chewie
    Fanatic

2017 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 1 - Page 36 Empty Re: 2017 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 1

Post by Chewie Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:45 pm

multiple.scoregasms wrote:With how stacked centre is and how lacking 2rf is I wouldn't mind starting the year with Sione at 2rf then moving him as a centre keeper later. Just between 350k and 250k at centre you have Dylan Walker, Konrad Hurrell, Aaron Gray(if centre), Michael Jennings, Will Chambers and then the likes of Dean Whare and Jamaal Idris around 200k. Could take advantage of the early cash cows then cash out/move for a keeper in 2rf

This is not a bad consideration... Something to keep in mind when the 2nd row doesn't have enough options to offer come Teamlists Smile
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms
    Fanatic

Post by multiple.scoregasms Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:02 pm

Really struggling with the 2nd and 3rd half slots outside of 1 gun and Elgey so thought we could get some discussion going.

Sharks- Townsend and Maloney
    Broncos- Hunt and Milford
    Bulldogs- Mbye and Reynolds
    Storm- Cronk and ?
    Rabbitohs- Reynolds and Walker
    Tigers- Brooks and Moses
    Dragons- Widdop and ?
    Panthers- Cleary and TMM
    Cowboys- Thurston and Morgan
    Raiders- Sezer and Austin
    Titans- Taylor and ?
    Roosters- Pearce and Keary
    Warriors- Johnson and Lolohea
    Knights- Hodkinson and Mullen
    Eagles- DCE and Green
    Eels- Norman and Gutherson

Aside from Storm, Titans and Dragons there is very few choices for under valued halves. Outside of the genuine guns the best choices might be a fallen former gun (Mullen, Maloney, Hodkinson, Sezer) a mid ranger stepping into a potential starting spot (McCrone, Croft, Elgey) or someone taking on more responsibility (Koroisau, Moses). Other options include basement priced players one injury away from a starting spot (Pearsall, Nu Brown, Hampton)

With the lack of true half options the best bet might be 2 guns, 1 game on a fallen gun or mid ranger and Elgey for those 4 half spots.
    Honey Badger
    Honey Badger

Post by Honey Badger Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:14 pm

multiple.scoregasms wrote:Really struggling with the 2nd and 3rd half slots outside of 1 gun and Elgey so thought we could get some discussion going.

Storm- Cronk and ?
    Tigers- Brooks and Moses
    Dragons- Widdop and ?
    Panthers- Cleary and TMM
    Titans- Taylor and ?
    Eagles- DCE and Green

Aside from Storm, Titans and Dragons there is very few choices for under valued halves. Outside of the genuine guns the best choices might be a fallen former gun (Mullen, Maloney, Hodkinson, Sezer) a mid ranger stepping into a potential starting spot (McCrone, Croft, Elgey) or someone taking on more responsibility (Koroisau, Moses). Other options include basement priced players one injury away from a starting spot (Pearsall, Nu Brown, Hampton)

With the lack of true half options the best bet might be 2 guns, 1 game on a fallen gun or mid ranger and Elgey for those 4 half spots.

Yeah last season we had plenty of cash cow options in the halves.
    Im looking at going with 1 gun, moses (he showed enough potential last season to be a gun half),elgey and Nu Brown as my rookie as he should play over origin?
    SoylentGreen
    SoylentGreen

Post by SoylentGreen Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:19 pm

multiple.scoregasms wrote:Really struggling with the 2nd and 3rd half slots outside of 1 gun and Elgey so thought we could get some discussion going.

Storm- Cronk and ?
    Tigers- Brooks and Moses
    Dragons- Widdop and ?
    Panthers- Cleary and TMM
    Titans- Taylor and ?
    Eagles- DCE and Green

I'm currently looking at having DCE, Norman, Sezer & Elgey. May consider Mortimer if it looks like he'll get decent minutes at hooker. Will also be interested to see what the cowboys do with Hampton.

standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:26 pm

SoylentGreen wrote:

Storm- Cronk and ?
    Tigers- Brooks and Moses
    Dragons- Widdop and ?
    Panthers- Cleary and TMM
    Titans- Taylor and ?
    Eagles- DCE and Green

I'm currently looking at having DCE, Norman, Sezer & Elgey. May consider Mortimer if it looks like he'll get decent minutes at hooker. Will also be interested to see what the cowboys do with Hampton.

Probably going to hurt you elsewhere Soylent where are you looking at saving cash for them? Can almost pick a cheap WFB line without any high priced guns, but I'm thinking of having one of Ted/Munster personally.
    Spectre
    Spectre

Post by Spectre Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:51 pm

Didn't Mullen do his hammy again during training? Who will slot in the halves alongside Hokko?
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:50 pm

jstands wrote:Didn't Mullen do his hammy again during training? Who will slot in the halves alongside Hokko?

He's fine mate and the next half is Brock Lanb
    RandomSil
    RandomSil

Post by RandomSil Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:34 am

I am looking at underpriced guys like Austin, and Sezer who both dealt with injuries through last year. Then I have Hampton and Elgey in the wings. Hampton should easily nail down a bench utility spot. While initially not earning too much he should be consistent and will get a run over Origin.

Mbye, Moses and Morgan have potential to lift their game at the start of the year and score 70+ scores here and there to make trading them to more consistent guns worth while.

Green moving to Manly could post similar numbers to what Foran would post with DCE. Which should be more than his time partnering Cronk (Cant see stat sheets.) So he could be in line for improvement.

Maloney always has potential to score better than he is currently prices at, has a knack for busting out 50+ point games and the Sharks should be winning most of their matches.

Mullen and Hodkinson both looked like good prospects last year and both again look under priced heading into this season. The only concern is the potential for them to be injured.

Mortimer if he picks up the starting Hooker role he would need to play 50-60 minutes to make having him worth it but if he does he would be a 40-45 point scorer from past experience.

Te Maire Martin is priced at a reasonably low level and could improve on that after a preseason with the team and such starting. Injured shoulder? could come back though and be an issue.

Brown, Smith, and Littlejohn should all be one injury away from getting a starting spot.

While there arent as many clear cut rookie options in the halves this year, you definitely have the potential to save a lot of cash there if you take a bit of risk.
    White Lightning
    White Lightning
    Fanatic

Post by White Lightning Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:26 am

Rabbit wrote:Some good info here guys. I thought Sua from the Broncs showed good fantasy potential last year and figured he would be looking at a regular spot this year, but no ones talking about him. Am I missing something? I thought he and Arrow were at least on par.

Yeah mate any time I see Su'a's name mentioned the response is "he won't make the 17" I thought he was better than Arrow in 2016.
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:45 am

Player of interest in the halves: Clinton Gutherson.

Can't get the spreadsheet to bring up his scores by position, but have feeling he scored better at half than in 3/4s last year and mainly base stats. If he brings a running game this year he'll be even more underpriced. Not necessarily a gun, but a handy scorer with great byes who can also slot back to WFB if a cow half becomes available early-season. Also, will he be Parra's goalkicker this year?
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:45 am

rhinoceroo wrote:Player of interest in the halves: Clinton Gutherson.

Can't get the spreadsheet to bring up his scores by position, but have feeling he scored better at half than in 3/4s last year and mainly base stats. If he brings a running game this year he'll be even more underpriced. Not necessarily a gun, but a handy scorer with great byes who can also slot back to WFB if a cow half becomes available early-season. Also, will he be Parra's goalkicker this year?

Gutherson scoring by position

Wing avg 32 (11 games)
    Centre avg 35 (5 games)
    Five-eighth avg 43 (8 games)

Priced at 36.5

he might be taking over goal kicking too, which makes him one to keep an eye on.

He never played in the halves with Norman - who does almost all the kicking when he plays, so Gutherson may lose a few kicking points from that average (averaged 122 kick metres in the halves)

I get the feeling that if people are going to run with a non playing role in their starting 25, its going to be in the halves, as unless someone gets injured in pre-season its going to be light on theground fro cheap starting halves.
    Especially after last year where starting with 4 rookies was a genuine possibility
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:52 am

flasSId* wrote:

Probably going to hurt you elsewhere Soylent where are you looking at saving cash for them?  Can almost pick a cheap WFB line without any high priced guns, but I'm thinking of having one of Ted/Munster personally.

If you want to save money in your halves, the question is which non-performer are you happy carrying in your team

Elgey (might get a starting spot, in which case he'll have massive ownership)
    Ben Hampton - reports seem to suggest he'll be the Cowboys bench utility. Mean's he'll play, but its not like you'll get good scores out of him
    Ato Hingano  - maybe he'll get a spot if the NRL play hardball with Foran.

That is pretty much it for halves under $200k.
    So if you want cheap halves, then you basically need a few long term injuries in pre-season, or a couple of wunderkids to play so well they demand selection.
    filthridden
    filthridden

Post by filthridden Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:40 am

Honeysett wrote:

You're not far off to be honest, minus Tinder that's pretty bang on. Less drinking beer and more going the beach and surfing and you're on the money.

@filthridden if you've got time I would look at hitting up Feral and Mash breweries they're pretty amazing. You can take the misses to play some Supa golf and then "oh let's check out this little place" and that's Mash right next to it.

Otherwise if you're staying in Scarborough and just want to wet your whistle Scarborough Beach Bar is my place of choice. Nice priced food and good tap selection.

If you're heading down south do yourself a favour and check out Dunsborough and Yallingup. Some of the best beaches I've ever seen. Really great winery's down there as well that the misses might enjoy. Plus Eagle Bay Brewery has an absolutely amazing view while you have some food.

If you get a minute give me a shout and I'll come down for a beer.

Thanks for the write up, mate. Our time is pretty limited by getting around and seeing all the family but will note those two beaches for next time. Decided we won't have time to get out that way (Margaret river etc).

Also looks like we are now staying in Sorrento instead (thought we had booked for Scarborough but was mistaken).

Don't think we'll get to Feral even though I love their beers - some of my fav Aussie beers especially the smoked porter... may be able to get to mash if we have time in Bunbury.

Thanks mate!
    filthridden
    filthridden

Post by filthridden Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:54 am

flasSId* wrote:

Supa Golf is awesome Very Happy

Is Filth coming to Perth?

We've got one night and it will be packed with meeting people/family mate. Next time which will probably be Christmas, may be able to catch up for a beer Smile
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:04 am

as others have said, it is unlikely he will be in the 17, and if he is, his mins will be low.

his chances have improved though as Dodds has re-injured his leg and wont start the season

the five that will definitely be there are blair mcguire gillett thaiday glenn, then the three other spots will go to eseese, TPJ and probably one of arrow/offa/sua

apparently ese ese is in great shape and impressing everyone at training. he may be the one to benefit with mins in the middle without parker/wallace, priced pretty cheaply. i have my eye on him, especially if mcguire takes the "#13"

tidbit of info but the starting pack at broncos opposed training today was

Ofahengaue
    McCullough
    Blair
    Thaiday
    Gillett
    McGuire

Last edited by my tv broke on Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:23 am; edited 5 times in total
    Warriors
    Warriors

Post by Warriors Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:09 am

Some pre-season questions that remain for me....

Fullback: Valentine Holmes or Jack Bird at fullback? Will either be worth picking up instead of say a Billy Slater. For me there is room for RTS, Hayne, 2 cheapies and 1 other player.

Centre: Will Brett Stewart and Steve Matai play this year? This affects whether I get Tom Trobjevic as my gun centre choice. Hoping to have three rookies here otherwise may have to go (Hurrell or Walker), Idris and 2 rookies.

Half: Will there be a rookie half emerge?. At this stage I have Norman, DCE, Elgy and placeholding rookie at this stage. If not Nona, maybe Lachlan Croker is next in line at the Raiders, and possibly Ata Hingano if Foran doesn't start the year.

2nd Row: Will we be left behind points wise if we pick too many rookie/mid rangers like Arrow, Tevita Pangai, C Hess, N Butcher, J Stimpson, K Capewell?
    Then there is the question of who will benefit at the Cowboys? Is it Hess, Bolton, Kaufusi, Asiata, Spina or Hoare.
    Which ones do we pick? One thing for sure is Sam Burgess is locked in to my team.

FRF: With so many value picks what do we do? There is Gurgess, Wallace, Prior, D Saifiti etc and many more. Of these, are they all this years LAM. I'm picking Gurgess purely for byes and pedigree. And hoping Vaughan will be another Mike Cooper at the Dragons and average close to 50.

Hookers: Is it worth gambling on a cheap hooker? Looks as though Tigers will go Mcllwrick and Liddle sharing until Ballin fit, and Sharks are still very much undecided. Read that if they don't get Segy they might look to pick up Manly discard Jayden Hodges. I am locking in Smith and probably will go safe with two gun hookers.

Team at the moment is:

RTS, Hayne, Slater, Pythian, Dufty
    Trobjevic, C Scott, R Jennings, B Kelly
    DCE, Norman, Elgy, L Croker
    C Hess, J Arrow, TPJ, Nat Butcher, J Stimpson, K Capewell
    S Burgess, P Vaughan, Josh McGuire, George Burgess
    C Smith, C McInnes

Obviously the second row is very very weak, but sacrificing here in the hope of quick money. When ready to cash out after 5-6 rounds I can move S Burgess and most probably J McGuire also.
    I am hoping the hookers and front rowers make up for it. There is also the chance for a cash cow Cowboys prop or someone like Lloyd Perret or Liam Knight.

I feel I am going to get roasted for that second row.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:33 am

Feline wrote:Does anyone rate Frank Pritchard at $190k as a cash cow? or am I dreaming

No but Benny Barba rates his wife.

No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:35 am

I'm waiting another 30 days before I look at anyone.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:38 am

Warriors wrote:

2nd Row: Will we be left behind points wise if we pick too many rookie/mid rangers like Arrow, Tevita Pangai, C Hess, N Butcher, J Stimpson, K Capewell?
    Then there is the question of who will benefit at the Cowboys? Is it Hess, Bolton, Kaufusi, Asiata, Spina or Hoare.
    Which ones do we pick? One thing for sure is Sam Burgess is locked in to my team.

C Hess, J Arrow, TPJ, Nat Butcher, J Stimpson, K Capewell

That 2nd row is way too weak to start with. They aren't even good enough to be called mid-rangers. It is likely that no more than 1 of those guys will be in the run on 13 for their teams. And a few of them might not even make the 17.

2nd row should have some of your highest scoring players and some of those guys will be pushing out mid 20s at best.

Current date/time is Tue May 21, 2024 3:32 am