NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2017 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 1

White Lightning
    White Lightning
    Fanatic

2017 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 1 - Page 33 Empty Re: 2017 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 1

Post by White Lightning Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:32 pm

Further on the 2fr options value buys:
    K-Brom - vying for Proctor's spot
    Glenn - imo will start in 2nd row
    Hess - could start if Taumalolo to frf rotation, Lowe to lock, Hess to edge else off bench
    Arrow - imo will come off bench but could see more minutes
    Pangai-Junior - same as Arrow
    J. Kennedy - from the Raiders. L. Brown out of favour & very good chance to start on edge
    Capewell - could start on wing if Holmes to f/b else off bench
    Butcher/Liam Knight - could grab bench spot
    Stimson - could grab bench spot or even start in Proctor's spot
    S. Mata'utia - dual dpp & expect 80 minute edge 2fr
    These are the following guns I'm looking at:
    Surgess, Cartwright, B. Thompson, Cordner, T. Harris, Buhrer, Barnett
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms

2017 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 1 - Page 33 Empty Re: 2017 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 1

Post by multiple.scoregasms Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:43 pm

Chewie wrote:To follow on from Milchcows request for some quality 2nd rowers, who are we looking at?

I've got a watchlist of potential cashcows consisting of
    Kurt Capewell
    Shaun Lane
    Nat Butcher
    Angus Crichton
    Jai Arrow
    John Asiata

With Surgess, Buhrer, Tohu Harris, and Elijah Taylor as value for money buys

Can cross Butcher off the list
    JWH
    Napa
    Evans
    Liu
    Aubbo
    Cordner
    Guerra
    Tauk
    are all definitely ahead of him in the rotation
    Unsure where he places among Vuneceke, Carter, Knight and Tetevano but there is plenty of competition for his spot
    White Lightning
    White Lightning
    Fanatic

Post by White Lightning Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:46 pm

@ MS - won't Taukeiaho miss the first 5-6 games (not sure if accurate) due to his acl injury. Maybe Butcher can nab a bench spot for these games.
    bluetige
    bluetige

Post by bluetige Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:49 pm

WL, J kennedy has moved to Manly and I wouldn't be looking at Cordner, he'll miss 4 games over origin, although he is a gun I am tempted to finish the season with
    White Lightning
    White Lightning
    Fanatic

Post by White Lightning Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:55 pm

bluetige wrote:WL, J kennedy has moved to Manly and I wouldn't be looking at Cordner, he'll miss 4 games over origin, although he is a gun I am tempted to finish the season with

Yeah I knew he had but I forgot to add "from Raiders to Manly" The reason I included Cordner was because he finished the 2016 season on fire, was the best forward in the 4 nations & I believe he'll be the catalyst for a massive Rooster's comeback in 2017. I agree with you though in he's probably better for the run home. Cheers mate.
    SoylentGreen
    SoylentGreen

Post by SoylentGreen Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:04 pm

Any info on Jordan Turner? Listed at centre but would assume he'll play in the forwards (off the bench?)
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms

Post by multiple.scoregasms Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:24 pm

White Lightning wrote:@ MS - won't Taukeiaho miss the first 5-6 games (not sure if accurate) due to his acl injury. Maybe Butcher can nab a bench spot for these games.
    I expect the round 1 team to be something like
    8.jwh
    9.friend
    10.napa
    11.cordner
    12.aubbo
    13.guerra
    14.watson
    15.evans
    16.liu
    17.tetevano/carter/butcher/knight
    bluetige
    bluetige

Post by bluetige Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:29 pm

Roosters pack, rough guestimate

8 - JWH 50min
    9 - Friend 70
    10 - Napa 50
    11 - Cordner 80
    12 - Aubusson 80
    13 - Liu 40

14 - Watson 10
    15 - Guerra 50
    16 - Evans 40
    17 - vunakece/tetevano/butcher 10

* Taukeiaho to come back after about a month
    bluetige
    bluetige

Post by bluetige Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:30 pm

you beat me to it MS
    kiwimoose
    kiwimoose

Post by kiwimoose Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:53 pm

Wow. It's gone quiet. (Or do we have glitches from time to time?) any way guys I need some advice. I am battling with not many options if I have smith in as hooker my frf selection is not the best. I currently have 24k to play with. I have matulino and gurges. I can either upgrade matulino to the likes of j.tamou or p.vaughn. 2nd option is gurges to m.prior or JWH. Am I best to just leave the guys I've got and save the coin or upgrade. Could be way to sideways. Thanks in advance.
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:18 pm

Plenty of value in Elijah Taylor...He played the first load of rounds with the Panthers and only played like 30 mins off the bench (on mobile so can't check Milch stats spreadsheet for exact mins played) Avg 48 when he transferred to tigers, priced around 42 also included 1 or 2 horocious stints at hooker which affected his avg
    Warriors
    Warriors

Post by Warriors Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:24 pm

2017ismine wrote:Wow. It's gone quiet. (Or do we have glitches from time to time?) any way guys I need some advice. I am battling with not many options if I have smith in as hooker my frf selection is not the best. I currently have 24k to play with.  I have matulino and gurges. I can either upgrade matulino to the likes of j.tamou or p.vaughn. 2nd option is gurges to m.prior or JWH. Am I best to just leave the guys I've got and save the coin or upgrade. Could be way to sideways. Thanks in advance.

For what it's worth I have Vaughan and gurgess and I guess McGuire (will move him to second row if he's named at 13 for round 1 he will get DPP). That's with smith and McInnes at this stage. Am suffering for this with only 1 gun in the second row(Sam Burgess). This will change if there ain't enough cheap frfs and 2rfs come round 1
    Floor Pie
    Floor Pie

Post by Floor Pie Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:32 pm

White Lightning wrote:Further on the 2fr options value buys:
    Hess - could start if Taumalolo to frf rotation, Lowe to lock, Hess to edge else off bench
    J. Kennedy - from the Raiders. L. Brown out of favour & very good chance to start on edge

I like where you're going with this, but I'm finding second row really hard this year. My thoughts:

Broncos - You nailed the two most interesting guys (Arrow & Pangai Jnr), but if McGuire gets a run at lock then I'd add Ofahengaue into the mix (at prop). Make no doubt about it though Pangai Jnr is the best up and comer at the Broncos. I've read some people talking about Glenn, even if he starts at second row - don't, just don't...

Raiders - I'm not excited about any of the Raiders. They have some good DT scorers, but they're all priced at about their max. It's a shame Tapine went to the Raiders, if he played 80 minutes at the knights, he'd be one of the first guys picked in my team.

Bulldogs - I honestly don't know why Des doesn't play Tolman for 80 minutes at lock and just play Klemmer and Graham at prop. It's not like you get much more than grind from Tolman, but I doubt that will happen, so I'm not excited about any Dogs - I expect them to line up similar to the way they did last year meaning there's not much value and people with a memory longer than 12 months will hesitate about Grahams starting price.

Sharks - I'd be surprised if the sharks don't run with a utility on the bench, which changes nothing because they ran Beale off the bench for a good number of games last year. Nothing changes much here, Gallen could be worth a look given that he won't play origin, but he doesn't tend to play many more than 15 games a year. They've signed Williams which doesn't help anybody and makes it a real log jam, making it unlikely that you'll find any value here.

Titans - You'd imagine Proctor will play 80 minutes at the Titans, meaning you could expect another 3-4 points a game from him, which probably puts him into the upper echelon of second rowers. Paasi played lock last year when Bird was out, so you'd imagine he will get first crack at lock this year, he may be worth a gamble depending on who else is around. Taia or McQueen will be the guy who misses out.

Sea Eagles - Same as last year, lots of unknowns and for the people who get it right, then there's money to be made and trades to be saved. I think you might be on the right track with kennedy, I'm thinking it may be something like: Myles, Koroisau, Tapau, Sironen, Kennedy, Trbojovic. Res - Lussick, Fonua-Blake, Perrett, Brown. Lane has massive attitude problems and Lawrence spent all last year trying to get into Barretts good books. I think Sironen and Kennedy are both decent value picks regardless of Barretts round 1 team list (which I expect to change again in the first 3 weeks anyway).

Storm - Lots seem to like Harris, apart from a game or two out of position, I don't think there's too much upside, but he's a 40-50 ppg player so that puts him in the top tier, but you are paying for it, there's better/more consistent guns imo. Sounds like its either NAS or KBrom to take Proctors 70 minutes which will make one of them must haves in my opinion.

Knights - Lots of talk about Buhrer, I find it hard to get too excited about a guy with bum knees who's played about 10 games in the last 2 1/2 years. I'm a bit more exited about Mata'utia and whoever gets the nod at lock. I'd really like it to be Bhana but we'll have to wait and see.

Cowboys - I think Hess will play a huge part in replacing Tamou and Hannant, I just don't know if he'll make a tonne of money. I'd be surprised if Kaufusi isn't the guy to replace Tamou (Green keeps talking about body types in which Tamou and kafusi are pretty similar) which makes him gold, albeit at prop.

Eels - No rookies, a few decent buys and no real guns make the Eels a no go at second row imo.

Panthers - Surely Carty goes back to 2nd row. JFH and Carty are the best back rowers at the club, so no doubt Yeo will get picked again. You can happily run with Merrin and Carty from the get go. I don't see any upside from the Panthers 2nd rowers.

Souths - Rochow throws a spanner into the works - Rochow, Sutton and Turner will get the bulk of the 2nd row minutes with Sam playing his usual 70-80 minutes at lock. I'll be running with Sam again and plenty other will be as well. If Cook comes off the bench then I'd be surprised if Crighton gets a look in unless its at centre.

Dragons - Absolutely chock full of second rowers which means I won't be touching any of them.

Roosters - I think the roosters will go well this year, having said that the only players that I'm interested in are Pearce and Mitchell.

Tigers - I think Taylor plays 80 minutes of hooker free football, which means that he's probably under priced by 5-6 points. He will be the Tigers 2nd rower in my team. I also think Marsters in daylights better than Aloiai, Lovett, Edwards and friends so I expect him to be in the 17 somewhere.

Warriors - Who's going to be different and pick Thompson from the start? Me neither, Mannering it is. Not much changes in the back row over the ditch making it a boring position for the Warriors.

I didn't mean to write that much - congrats to anybody who reads it!
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:06 pm

Floor Pie wrote:
    White Lightning wrote:Further on the 2fr options value buys:

I like where you're going with this, but I'm finding second row really hard this year.  My thoughts:

Broncos - You nailed the two most interesting guys (Arrow & Pangai Jnr), but if McGuire gets a run at lock then I'd add Ofahengaue into the mix (at prop).  Make no doubt about it though Pangai Jnr is the best up and comer at the Broncos.  I've read some people talking about Glenn, even if he starts at second row - don't, just don't...

Raiders - I'm not excited about any of the Raiders.  They have some good DT scorers, but they're all priced at about their max.  It's a shame Tapine went to the Raiders, if he played 80 minutes at the knights, he'd be one of the first guys picked in my team.

Bulldogs - I honestly don't know why Des doesn't play Tolman for 80 minutes at lock and just play Klemmer and Graham at prop.  It's not like you get much more than grind from Tolman, but I doubt that will happen, so I'm not excited about any Dogs - I expect them to line up similar to the way they did last year meaning there's not much value and people with a memory longer than 12 months will hesitate about Grahams starting price.

Sharks - I'd be surprised if the sharks don't run with a utility on the bench, which changes nothing because they ran Beale off the bench for a good number of games last year.  Nothing changes much here, Gallen could be worth a look given that he won't play origin, but he doesn't tend to play many more than 15 games a year.  They've signed Williams which doesn't help anybody and makes it a real log jam, making it unlikely that you'll find any value here.

Titans - You'd imagine Proctor will play 80 minutes at the Titans, meaning you could expect another 3-4 points a game from him, which probably puts him into the upper echelon of second rowers.  Paasi played lock last year when Bird was out, so you'd imagine he will get first crack at lock this year, he may be worth a gamble depending on who else is around.  Taia or McQueen will be the guy who misses out.

Sea Eagles - Same as last year, lots of unknowns and for the people who get it right, then there's money to be made and trades to be saved.  I think you might be on the right track with kennedy, I'm thinking it may be something like:  Myles, Koroisau, Tapau, Sironen, Kennedy, Trbojovic.  Res - Lussick, Fonua-Blake, Perrett, Brown.  Lane has massive attitude problems and Lawrence spent all last year trying to get into Barretts good books.  I think Sironen and Kennedy are both decent value picks regardless of Barretts round 1 team list (which I expect to change again in the first 3 weeks anyway).

Storm - Lots seem to like Harris, apart from a game or two out of position, I don't think there's too much upside, but he's a 40-50 ppg player so that puts him in the top tier, but you are paying for it, there's better/more consistent guns imo.  Sounds like its either NAS or KBrom to take Proctors 70 minutes which will make one of them must haves in my opinion.

Knights - Lots of talk about Buhrer, I find it hard to get too excited about a guy with bum knees who's played about 10 games in the last 2 1/2 years.  I'm a bit more exited about Mata'utia and whoever gets the nod at lock.  I'd really like it to be Bhana but we'll have to wait and see.

Cowboys - I think Hess will play a huge part in replacing Tamou and Hannant, I just don't know if he'll make a tonne of money.  I'd be surprised if Kaufusi isn't the guy to replace Tamou (Green keeps talking about body types in which Tamou and kafusi are pretty similar) which makes him gold, albeit at prop.

Eels - No rookies, a few decent buys and no real guns make the Eels a no go at second row imo.

Panthers - Surely Carty goes back to 2nd row.  JFH and Carty are the best back rowers at the club, so no doubt Yeo will get picked again.  You can happily run with Merrin and Carty from the get go.  I don't see any upside from the Panthers 2nd rowers.

Souths - Rochow throws a spanner into the works - Rochow, Sutton and Turner will get the bulk of the 2nd row minutes with Sam playing his usual 70-80 minutes at lock.  I'll be running with Sam again and plenty other will be as well.  If Cook comes off the bench then I'd be surprised if Crighton gets a look in unless its at centre.

Dragons - Absolutely chock full of second rowers which means I won't be touching any of them.

Roosters - I think the roosters will go well this year, having said that the only players that I'm interested in are Pearce and Mitchell.

Tigers - I think Taylor plays 80 minutes of hooker free football, which means that he's probably under priced by 5-6 points.  He will be the Tigers 2nd rower in my team.  I also think Marsters in daylights better than Aloiai, Lovett, Edwards and friends so I expect him to be in the 17 somewhere.

Warriors - Who's going to be different and pick Thompson from the start?  Me neither, Mannering it is.  Not much changes in the back row over the ditch making it a boring position for the Warriors.

I didn't mean to write that much - congrats to anybody who reads it!

I read it, and it was a pretty awesome post.

Agree on the Roosters going well this year.

I didn't see enough of Esan Marsters in NYC (from memory he got a run or 2 in Ressies as well?) to say he is streets ahead of those named; however after absolutely hating Aloiai for the first half of 2016, he grew on me and started to look like he could become that damaging wide runner we have been missing.
    Shanbon
    Shanbon

Post by Shanbon Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:29 pm

I think Kearney is going to make the Warriors play boring safety first football through the middle, just like he has his whole career with the Eels and NZ team. He has also only worked under the most boring game plan coaches going in Bellamy and Bennett.

The other coaches im steering away from are Taylor, Barrett and McGreggor. All have no idea what their best pack is because they have too many similar players and dont know how to balance a team.

Im still not running with Smith, i think 2 2nd teir hookers(Hodgson/Peats/Macca ect) and using the almost 200k to upgrade the toughest spot (2nd row) will be money better spent
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:43 pm

Shanbon wrote:I think Kearney is going to make the Warriors play boring safety first football through the middle, just like he has his whole career with the Eels and NZ team. He has also only worked under the most boring game plan coaches going in Bellamy and Bennett.

The other coaches im steering away from are Taylor, Barrett and McGreggor. All have no idea what their best pack is because they have too many similar players and dont know how to balance a team.

Im still not running with Smith, i think 2 2nd teir hookers(Hodgson/Peats/Macca ect) and using the almost 200k to upgrade the toughest spot (2nd row) will be money better spent

Could be a blessing for the Warriors as something has to change.

Who are you looking at Captaining mate?
    Mulvy
    Mulvy

Post by Mulvy Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:44 pm

I read and enjoyed it. have an upvote
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:54 pm

Some good discussion recently. Sadly its still early days so a lot of guess work aroud starting teams, but good t ostart thinking about some names.
    My initial thoughts on forwards for a few teams

Broncos
    Their best 5 forwards are McGuire, Blair, Thaiday, Gillette, Glenn. Of the young guys Ofahengaue and Arrow have the best fantasy potential. I don't have big expectations of Tevita Pangai Junior (in fantasy terms)

Dogs
    If Raymond Faitala-Marienr can oust Eastwood to starting 2nd row then he is worth a look. If he gets a 60 minute starting role he could easily average 40s  (priced at 25)
    Rhyse Martin seems to be the rookie to keep an eye on.

Roosters
    Can't see how Nat Butcher does anything interesting this year. Just too far down the pecking order.
    Aubbusson will be forever tempting -averaged 42 as staring 2nd rower last year, priced at 37. Very good chance at starting 2nd row this year

Manly.
    Addin Fonua-Blake finished last year as starting prop and averaged 36 for the last 4 rounds  playing 40 minutes. Priced at 26. Has a big of a smell of trap about him but I am keeping an eye on him. Depends partly on what they do with Taupau this year. 
    Shaun Lane played just 1 game last year, for 7 points, so being priced at an average of 19 is big overs. Obviously they have gone back to 2015 where he averaged 30 - but that included a few single figure scores from low minute bench appearances. If he does manage to start then 40+ is well within his fantasy potential.
    I am betting on Sironen to continue to be a fantasy dud
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:02 pm

Welshy wrote:Plenty of value in Elijah Taylor...He played the first load of rounds with the Panthers and only played like 30 mins off the bench (on mobile so can't check Milch stats spreadsheet for exact mins played) Avg 48 when he transferred to tigers, priced around 42 also included 1 or 2 horocious stints at hooker which affected his avg

From when Farah left the team Taylor averaged 70 minutes and 46 points (ignoring an injury effected 6)
    I don't think his upside is quite as big as you are hoping, but the upside is certainly there.

Back when he started for the Panthers he was a 50 point player.  He certainly looks like one of the better options in that price bracket though. I think I would like him in my team
    Chewie
    Chewie
    Fanatic

Post by Chewie Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:06 pm

Did someone mention Maubbs? Beating Heart

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 3:15 am