NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

Offtopic - Sizzler thread

mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Offtopic - Sizzler thread Empty Offtopic - Sizzler thread

Post by mattnz Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:06 pm

The thread where you can discuss anything you want, without interrupting the flow of the main NRL Fantasy thread.
    Loomer
    Loomer

Offtopic - Sizzler thread Empty Re: Offtopic - Sizzler thread

Post by Loomer Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:24 pm

I had performance review via VC yesterday and raised that my salary is below market rate and that's not take into account inflation. Person conducting revealed they didn't know what I was on but they would discuss with another person and come back to me.

10 mins later they rang me on mobile and said they were talking to former contractor at another company who are looking for people do I want his details and contact him? I did polite WTF??? I am confused by this etc. Then he said well you said [our company] pays crappy salary. I said I never said such a thing you're putting word in my mouth, then he rambled well it's true [our company] doesn't pay well compared to others then just awkward few moments and call was over.

Is this borderline constructive dismissal even if he meant it with good intention? Do I report it? He in job 20 years and and I'm 8 years contractor for them but only full time 8 months ago
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:30 pm

Asking for a raise when underpaid can be a hard thing to do

Is it worth taking them up on their offer if you can get another job for more money? or do you otherwise like it where you are now?

For my work related story I just discovered today I have a typo in my email signature, and its been there for years. At least nobody reads that shit to notice.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:32 pm

In other off-topic news, Mrs Cow and just bought a house. Doesn't have a pool, so Rabbit will still be superior to me in every way.

Does mean I might have some limited access to the forum coming up as I organise moving everything. Been in our current place 16 years, and have accumulated a lot of crap.
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:33 pm

Loomer wrote:I had performance review via VC yesterday and raised that my salary is below market rate and that's not take into account inflation. Person conducting revealed they didn't know what I was on but they would discuss with another person and come back to me.

10 mins later they rang me on mobile and said they were talking to former contractor at another company who are looking for people do I want his details and contact him? I did polite WTF??? I am confused by this etc. Then he said well you said [our company] pays crappy salary. I said I never said such a thing you're putting word in my mouth, then he rambled well it's true [our company] doesn't pay well compared to others then just awkward few moments and call was over.

Is this borderline constructive dismissal even if he meant it with good intention? Do I report it? He in job 20 years and and I'm 8 years contractor for them but only full time 8 months ago

What type of work/industry? I think this is relevant.

Essentially, best option for you is to find a new job. I guess it depends on how easy that is for you to do.
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:34 pm

Loomer wrote:I had performance review via VC yesterday and raised that my salary is below market rate and that's not take into account inflation. Person conducting revealed they didn't know what I was on but they would discuss with another person and come back to me.

Was the person doing the preformance review your immediate boss?

Are you enjoying the job, people, environment, or happy to move on for better pay?

Some organisations are weird, the last place I was at, I was hired by the top person in NZ for a global company, but reported to a level below that. I was given essentially the same job title as him (both Head of), and he had no idea what I was being paid either.
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:35 pm

Because enquiring minds want to know, my fav hot drink is Milo. 10 points to Booze.
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:39 pm

Also, did you take a pay cut when you went from contractor to permanent? I am currently contracting and get almost twice what the permanent employees get.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:41 pm

mattnz wrote:Also, did you take a pay cut when you went from contractor to permanent? I am currently contracting and get almost twice what the permanent employees get.

30% paycut seems to be common when moving from contractor to permanent (not that I have ever done it, I've always had a permanent position)

But some benefits are only available to permanent staff which, along with job security, comes into the equation as to which is actually better.
    Loomer
    Loomer

Post by Loomer Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:42 pm

mattnz wrote:
    Was the person doing the preformance review your immediate boss?

Are you enjoying the job, people, environment, or happy to move on for better pay?

Some organisations are weird, the last place I was at, I was hired by the top person in NZ for a global company, but reported to a level below that. I was given essentially the same job title as him (both Head of), and he had no idea what I was being paid either.

I really enjoy the job. My immediate boss is in Wellington. Never met face to face but get on really well. I rang him day before performance review and asked about asking for more money. He said absolutely, go for it mate. He doesn't know what I'm on either. The account manager does but he didn't conduct performance review. It's messed up. My UK mate described it on hearing as some form of Matrix Management.

I think if I e-mailed manager who did performance review asking if he can e-mail the details of job he talked about as I'd reconsidered there's no effing way he'd commit that to company e-mail as I think it's really unprofessional.
    Loomer
    Loomer

Post by Loomer Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:43 pm

mattnz wrote:Also, did you take a pay cut when you went from contractor to permanent? I am currently contracting and get almost twice what the permanent employees get.

Yes. But I hadn't had a pay increase in 7 years as contractor. I asked around and checked Seek. I'm about 10k under what I should be on in the role with my experience not to mention the years of customer relationships built up

Answer to MTB Onsite IT Engineer in this role 8 years. Total 20 years experience SD Desktop large companies and Network/Sys Admin of small companies etc
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:52 pm

Milchcow wrote:
    Asking for a raise when underpaid can be a hard thing to do

Is it worth taking them up on their offer if you can get another job for more money? or do you otherwise like it where you are now?

For my work related story I just discovered today I have a typo in my email signature, and its been there for years. At least nobody reads that shit to notice.
    Vote for Podro?
    lukeayee
    lukeayee

Post by lukeayee Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:41 pm

I admire all of your charitable contributions this thread and the concept over all, but the truth is this is a terrible idea Matt.

I will never return. Neither will any of you in 48 hours.
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:43 pm

There’s a few of us who look outside the main thread. Not many but a few
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:45 pm

Also kinda stupid that even after the complaining and this link getting posted in the main thread the shitposting didn’t really slow down. Just went from coffee to wordplay on players names

Post by Guest Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:03 pm

Wow it's real haha

AL
    AL

Post by AL Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:43 am

Boozecluez wrote:Wow it's real haha

Pumping too. Not sure I’ll make it back to the main thread with all the bants here.
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:35 pm

AL wrote:

Pumping too. Not sure I’ll make it back to the main thread with all the bants here.

Miss u long time AL
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:59 pm

Roastville beans is the one I get @revraiser. Based in marrickville
    Pain
    Pain

NFL Dynasty Champion : 2019
    NFL Fantasy L2 Champion : 2019