NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2019 NIB Knights

leaguegod

2019 NIB Knights  - Page 28 Empty Re: 2019 NIB Knights

Post by leaguegod Mon 10 Jul 2017 - 13:40

he was generally very accurate with us for sure, i was just commenting that i remember quite a few times him just making it over the cross bar from the sideline and atleast a couplr not having the legs, even 30m out makes this one was longer then normal. lamb has a bigger boot and has been fairly accurate himself, take experience out of it & lamb is probably the better chance to kick it imo

do agree that not knowing where it was is odd and sounds like a cop out
    Dip

Post by Dip Mon 10 Jul 2017 - 14:19

Sounds to me like he was trying to take the (unfair) blame off Lamb. I wouldn't read too much into it.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Mon 10 Jul 2017 - 14:28

I'm surprised more wasn't made about Mbye being offside.
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Mon 10 Jul 2017 - 15:28

i think you're just looking for new ways to feel robbed(despite getting the rub of the green through out most of the game), the highlights show him back, maybe he left early, i can't tell but there was never gonna a lot made about it
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon 10 Jul 2017 - 15:42

Yeah was waiting for them to at least look at the offside. I'm not saying he was or he wasn't, but its surely worth a look. Wasn't even mentioned.

Far out the knights blew that one. The halves performance in that one was Pearce and Maloney like. Just couldn't close the game out and ya knew what was going to happen to 5 mins before it did.

That kick from lamb tho. It looked like they were arguing about who was going to kick it. Far out, its 30-40 out. A first grade kicker could fart and get that distance. Laughed out loud when Lamb Shanked it, was just such a fitting end. The kick into Mbyes feet then one of the worst kicks you will see at goal. Just laughable.

Also, can someone please explain this to me?
    A player knocks it on, a player on the same team picks it up in an onside position, then knocks it on again and then the original player picks it up when he is offside. Shouldn't it just go back to one of the previous knock ons? Why is it penalised?

I get that he is offside, but its during the advantage period and there has already been 2 knock ons?

Again, the knights are not that far off.

Got to remember, Newcastle are missing their first choice FB, first choice hooker, first choice 6, the first choice 7 has a bung knee (and not to mention missing a bench forward or 2, plus buhrer for most of the season) Any team missing their first choice players in those positions would struggle, no matter how shit the side already is.

No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Mon 10 Jul 2017 - 15:47

Haven't sen anyone mention it on FB or chat pages other than you. The footage I've seen is inconclusive (you don't see where Mbye is when the ball is played) but he gets there remarkably quickly. Is there another angle ?

Just remember, it's only a 50/50 call when it doesn't go your way.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Mon 10 Jul 2017 - 15:53

My dad and his mate, both Bulldogs fans were at the game and said he jumped the gun early - feigned to go back and then didn't. They were thinking it'd be checked but were stoked that it wasn't.
    Dip

Post by Dip Mon 10 Jul 2017 - 18:30

Pieman wrote:Yeah was waiting for them to at least look at the offside. I'm not saying he was or he wasn't, but its surely worth a look. Wasn't even mentioned.

Far out the knights blew that one. The halves performance in that one was Pearce and Maloney like. Just couldn't close the game out and ya knew what was going to happen to 5 mins before it did.

That kick from lamb tho. It looked like they were arguing about who was going to kick it. Far out, its 30-40 out. A first grade kicker could fart and get that distance. Laughed out loud when Lamb Shanked it, was just such a fitting end. The kick into Mbyes feet then one of the worst kicks you will see at goal. Just laughable.

Also, can someone please explain this to me?
    A player knocks it on, a player on the same team picks it up in an onside position, then knocks it on again and then the original player picks it up when he is offside. Shouldn't it just go back to one of the previous knock ons? Why is it penalised?

I get that he is offside, but its during the advantage period and there has already been 2 knock ons?

Again, the knights are not that far off.

Got to remember, Newcastle are missing their first choice FB, first choice hooker, first choice 6, the first choice 7 has a bung knee (and not to mention missing a bench forward or 2, plus buhrer for most of the season) Any team missing their first choice players in those positions would struggle, no matter how shit the side already is.

For about the first time since year 8 I'll use Pythagoras Theorm and calculate a kick for goal from 32 out and 32 from the goalposts (the field is 68m wide I think) means the kick would hav to be about 45m, so carry about 48m to go over.

Re the penalty for offside, if the knock on hasn't been called yet ( because the referee is waiting to see if any advantage comes of it), then you have to play the advantage in the scenario you say as a penalty over-rides a knock on.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Mon 10 Jul 2017 - 18:40

Dip wrote:

For about the first time since year 8 I'll use Pythagoras Theorm and calculate a kick for goal from 32 out and 32 from the goalposts (the field is 68m wide I think) means the kick would hav to be about 45m, so carry about 48m to go over.

Re the penalty for offside, if the knock on hasn't been called yet ( because the referee is waiting to see if any advantage comes of it), then you have to play the advantage in the scenario you say as a penalty over-rides a knock on.

While I'm not saying it's cost us the game - there was 2 knock ons. As soon as the onside player knocks it on again it should be a knock on call as that is the second infringement in the play. Which should be enough for it to be called.
    Dip

Post by Dip Mon 10 Jul 2017 - 18:46

Did the second player take possession or knock it on trying to pick it up? I can't remember. Surely if he hasn't taken possession you can't stop play yet.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon 10 Jul 2017 - 22:20

Dip wrote:

I would expect any first grade goal kicker to be able to kick the ball at least 50m. At least.
    Especially a kicker of hodkinsons prowess. Considering first grade teams are made up of generally the best players from each junior team/group/local comp - most of the halves and outside backs would have kicked a fair amount of goals throughout their lives. I would expect that most first grade backs (and a good portion of forwards) could kick a ball 50 off a tee. Anyway, it was a pathetic shot from the Shanks. Hodko should have overruled him and taken it. anyway whats done is done.

From memory, Saifiti knocks it on, it then goes to a knights player who comes from an onside position, who knocks it on again back into saifiti. Surely the call would be "knock on" not "offside", considering there was 2 knock ons before the offside call. Surely play stops after the second knock on.

Maybe im remembering it wrong but pretty sure thats what happened. I mean fuck, how often do u see someone kick the ball away or what ever after the call a knock on and nothing is ever made of it.
    ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Post by ryno_ Tue 11 Jul 2017 - 7:28

Pieman wrote:
    From memory, Saifiti knocks it on, it then goes to a knights player who comes from an onside position, who knocks it on again back into saifiti. Surely the call would be "knock on" not "offside", considering there was 2 knock ons before the offside call. Surely play stops after the second knock on.

Maybe im remembering it wrong but pretty sure thats what happened. I mean fuck, how often do u see someone kick the ball away or what ever after the call a knock on and nothing is ever made of it.

I didn't waste my time watching the Newcastle spoon victory tour but in the scenario you are describing, after the first knock-on it's a period of advantage to the defending team. After the second knock-on, its still advantage to the defending team. If Saifiti picks the ball up, he does so from an intentionally offside position. That's a penalty and as a penalty is of greater advantage to the defending team then a scrum, thats the outcome of that passage of play. Not sure where the confusion is coming from - why do you think play stops after the 2nd knock on?
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Tue 11 Jul 2017 - 8:36

Because I would think that after the first infringement, if the newcastle player regains the ball, the play is over.

Knock on, regathered by newcastle, advantage over.

How long does the advantage period go for? After the first knock on, they didnt get any advantage because the newcastle player picks it up.

Thats where the play should end shouldnt it

Anyway, its a moot point. Was just a strange ruling I thought.
    ryno_
    ryno_

Post by ryno_ Tue 11 Jul 2017 - 8:51

Pieman wrote:Because I would think that after the first infringement, if the newcastle player regains the ball, the play is over.

Knock on, regathered by newcastle, advantage over.

If a Newcastle player actually regains the ball, sure. But what you're describing is that the second player didnt cleanly regather the knock on and knocks it on himself. Play on, advantage defense.

Pieman wrote:
    How long does the advantage period go for? After the first knock on, they didnt get any advantage because the newcastle player picks it up.

As long as the ref feels the defense are potentially in a position to take advantage of the situation. If the ball is still bobbling around between the Newcastle "Benny Hill" Knights, the defense could, in theory, pick the ball up and run the field. The only way the Knights are able to regather the ball and stop the advantage period is from an offside position, therefore its a penalty. Simples.

If the Knights can't regather the ball for long enough to satisfy the ref that the passage of play is over, thats their fault.

Pieman wrote:
    Thats where the play should end shouldnt it

No, if advantage is being played, the play only ends when the ref wants it to. Good refs play long advantages.

Pieman wrote:Anyway, its a moot point. Was just a strange ruling I thought.

Its not though. The only thing strange about it is that 2 first grade footballers in a row are unable to hold onto the damn ball.

Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Tue 11 Jul 2017 - 11:21

Except that's not the rule. If there's a second infringement by the same team it's a stop in play.
    B/L
    B/L

Post by B/L Tue 11 Jul 2017 - 12:27

Looking forward to back to back byes.
    Dip

Post by Dip Tue 11 Jul 2017 - 12:32

Honeysett wrote:Except that's not the rule. If there's a second infringement by the same team it's a stop in play.

I'd like to see that rule, because I don't think it exists. There would be a dozen examples a year when for example, a defender knocks on a bomb, another defender knocks on in trying to regather, and then an attacker scores a try. Or Hodges in his origin debut throwing a forward pass that is knocked on by a team mate, before being scored by an opponent.
    ryno_
    ryno_

Post by ryno_ Tue 11 Jul 2017 - 13:20

Honeysett wrote:Except that's not the rule. If there's a second infringement by the same team it's a stop in play.

Except that's not the rule.

The ref plays advantage until the non-offending team no longer have an advantage in play continuing. If the Knights decide to pinball the ball off each other and not secure it, the ref can still decide that there is an advantage to the other side in an loose ball. If they commit a penalty in the meantime, that's the greater advantage to the other side over a knock on, so its a penalty.

Im 99% sure there's a rule that says something along the lines of the on-field ref being the sole judge (ie, not the bunker, not a touchie) of if a team has an advantage or not and you keep playing until that guy blows his whistle.
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Tue 11 Jul 2017 - 13:50

yeah the above 2 post are pretty black and white, the ref certainly could have blow the whistle and then the play is dead but i don't think he has to therefore after the 2nd knock on, the bulldogs still have a chance to grab the ball and a knights player getting it from an offside position is a penalty
    Spectre
    Spectre

Post by Spectre Tue 11 Jul 2017 - 14:04

Most players in the nrl could kick the ball off a tee for 50m.
    The hard part is keeping it accurate whilst still generating the same power.

More power = less accuracy

Lamb was obviously trying to just kick the ball as hard as he could which is why he shanked it. Very tough kick mind, about 40m out and what 10m in from touch? Very few could actually nail that

Current date/time is Tue 30 Apr 2024 - 0:47