NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2019 NIB Knights

Dip

2019 NIB Knights  - Page 3 Empty Re: 2019 NIB Knights

Post by Dip Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:25 am

Krump wrote:
    I'm sure @Dip will know.

There was a small back rower Jamie Feeney who played for the Dogs maybe late 90's, early 00's. Wonder if they are related.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:04 am

Dip wrote:

Of that team you listed, you'd have to include Paea, Gagai and Feeney, so that makes 8 of the 17 changed clubs for money or opportunity (not saying there's anything wrong with that). I'd probably have Tariq Sims in the team as well, so that makes 9 (of lets say 18, as he may come in for another bought player).

Looking at the profiles of Telstra Premiership squad players on the Knights webpage:
    Manly - Pearsall
    ESL - Paea,
    Warriors - Bhana, Taylor
    Dogs - Hodkinson, Feeney,
    Eels - Pauli,
    Broncos - Gagai,
    Raider - Mataora
    Cowboys - T Sims
    Dragons - Sims
    Sharks - Snowden
    Tigers - Stockwell

Snowden was originally from the Knights, the sharks poached him first and Tinkler brought him back.
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:17 am

Honeysett wrote:Manly - Pearsall (won't play)
    ESL - Paea (retirement fund)
    Warriors - Bhana (Not in our 17, but will pay it) Taylor (who?)
    Dogs - Hodkinson ($$$) Feeney (Unwanted)
    Eels - Pauli (pushed out of the Eels, no choice)
    Broncos - Gagai (Fired from Broncos, no choice)
    Raider - Mataora (Yep)
    Cowboys - T Sims (Yep, $$$ or playing with his brother)
    Dragons - Sims (played with Knights under 20s for 2 years)
    Sharks - Snowden ($$$)
    Tigers - Stockwell (Dragons, but yep)

Gagai was fired from the Broncos he didn't have a choice whether to stay or not and then when the Broncos wanted him back he still stayed with the Knights. I wouldn't class him as the same as someone looking to sign somewhere else for more money or an opportunity.

I'm not saying guys can't sign elsewhere, that's the nature of the business. My point was if the club has gone over and above the norm to keep you happy and look after you and first thing you do is bail you're a mercenary.  

Feeney was never unwanted at the dogs, just had a better offer a couple of years ago. he was rated by many just had more ahead of him at the time
    RandomSil
    RandomSil

Post by RandomSil Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:14 am

Not sure if you guys picked this up but Tapine came out saying that the Knights turned their backs on him.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/joseph-tapine-breaks-silence-on-newcastle-knights-contract-drama-20160220-gmz91u.html

I thought it was made clear that he wouldn't be playing for the Knights if he signed the deal.

Post by Guest Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:25 am

So the Coach tells him to sign the contract then punishes him for it? If I was a Knights player I would be looking to get out of there ASAP.
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:37 am

Bren wrote:So the Coach tells him to sign the contract then punishes him for it? If I was a Knights player I would be looking to get out of there ASAP.
    Just because the Raiders want to throw too much money at him doesn't make him a star, he'll still be a fringe player at the raiders this year. Why should Newcastle develop him? 
    As for saying the club has turned it's back on him what a crock of shit. He's the one who turned his back on a club that looked after him through the hard times then he left the second he got a chance at a pay day. If he was that upset about the training situation he would have gone to the Roosters, instead he'll just bitch and moan so that the Knights don't get the remuneration they deserve for letting him go early.

Last edited by Krump on Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:46 am; edited 1 time in total
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:43 am

honestly, the real culprit of this messy situation is the NRL and its allowing players to sign for other teams before the start of the season, its unacceptable

have an actual offseason, you can re-sign with your current team but you can't sign elsewhere for another team untill a week after the GF

i know it wouldn't be perfect but it would be better that what we have now
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

2019 NIB Knights  - Page 3 Empty Comedical gold from the manager

Post by No Worries Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:46 am

"Newcastle have dug a hole that big for themselves that Nathan Tinkler would have got himself a mining license for it." - Jim Banaghan

Post by Guest Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:48 am

Your Name wrote:"Newcastle have dug a hole that big for themselves that Nathan Tinkler would have got himself a mining license for it." -  Jim Banaghan
    Yeah that was gold lol!
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:42 am

Krump wrote:
    Just because the Raiders want to throw too much money at him doesn't make him a star, he'll still be a fringe player at the raiders this year. Why should Newcastle develop him? 
    As for saying the club has turned it's back on him what a crock of shit. He's the one who turned his back on a club that looked after him through the hard times then he left the second he got a chance at a pay day. If he was that upset about the training situation he would have gone to the Roosters, instead he'll just bitch and moan so that the Knights don't get the remuneration they deserve for letting him go early.

That's the sort of thinking that defies any logic.

Nobody knows what will happen this season.
    The Raiders deal may fall through, he might cop a career ender, the Knights may win the comp with him involved, he may backflip.

It should be a simple case of:

Will he commit to giving it his all and leaving the club on a good note?

If the answer is yes, then you are paying for him this season, so you might as well include him within the team.
    If the answer is no, then fair enough but all this talk of developing other players etc. is a cop out when really it is a case of making a decision based on being butt hurt that he is leaving the club.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:56 am

leaguegod wrote:honestly, the real culprit of this messy situation is the NRL and its allowing players to sign for other teams before the start of the season, its unacceptable

have an actual offseason, you can re-sign with your current team but you can't sign elsewhere for another team untill a week after the GF

i know it wouldn't be perfect but it would be better that what we have now

Hi LG.

I see your point but I can also understand young blokes wanting to secure their future and similarly clubs also wanting to plan their recruitment as early as practical.

The NRL is a business now and if clubs and players were professional about these situations, then I can't understand why disputes like this arise.

If I give my notice that I am leaving my work, I still put in 100% for however long my notice is because the industry is small and your reputation is important for whatever future direction you take.
    If I drop my bundle and decide I no longer give a shit, then I would expect to no longer be entrusted with my usual tasks or let go early.

The NRL is no different.
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:26 am

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

Hi LG.

I see your point but I can also understand young blokes wanting to secure their future and similarly clubs also wanting to plan their recruitment as early as practical.

The NRL is a business now and if clubs and players were professional about these situations, then I can't understand why disputes like this arise.

If I give my notice that I am leaving my work, I still put in 100% for however long my notice is because the industry is small and your reputation is important for whatever future direction you take.
    If I drop my bundle and decide I no longer give a shit, then I would expect to no longer be entrusted with my usual tasks or let go early.

The NRL is no different.

i see your point, and i have no doubt the player would put in the effort

but NRL is still different to other industries because the biggest stakeholder is always gonna be the fans and no body likes seeing this deals sorted so far out, its jsut another distraction for the media and fans to talk about when the season is about to start.

Mearcats
    Mearcats

Post by Mearcats Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:30 am

Hahaha, so many people upset about this (including said player and coach).

To be honest I think we all lose sight of the fact that the NRL nowadays is a business. Unfortunately, not a very well functioning one. Sure, I'll be honest and say that viewer numbers are up and that is correlating into massive TV rights deals and sponsorship influx but at the end of the day this is all just a facade that the NRL uses to mask the fact that the are aware that they have some rather serious deficiencies when it comes to the actual nitty gritty.

The NRL changed interchanges this year, I'm a fan but lets be honest, it's not an integral change that was needed. They decided that play the balls needed to be policed more. Pfffrt, please, waste of time. These things were done purely for the introductory VIEWER of the sport. To be exciting and entertaining. To the real fans, the club diehards, this isn't going to make them more inclined to fork out their hard earned to attend a game or take out a membership.

Last year DCE reneged on a deal with the Titans and there was a massive uproar. There was also Teddy to Raiders and a few others. The NRL (who own the Titans) came out and said that the June (or July, whatever it is) transfer window and deadline needed to be looked at and changed. Why? Because an NRL owned team lost out? Maybe. Cynics out there would probably say yes. To an extent I think the NRL has the whole player contract system in a right royal mess. But they aren'y going to be inclined to fix it because what do they stand to gain from it?

As for Tapine and the Knights, it's been said that the Knights did the right thing by him etc but at a recruitment level, did they? If they rated this player that highly they why not fight to keep him? Because you expect loyalty from a player that you looked after? Or is it because they see more potential in other players and think that the 500k extra over three years would be better off spent elsewhere?

All in all as a club fan we'll always be upset when things like this happen but the blame needs to be placed where it lies.
    Scouter
    Scouter

Post by Scouter Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:02 am

On a separate note how did Pauli Pauli go in the trial?
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:37 am

Scouter wrote:On a separate note how did Pauli Pauli go in the trial?

He looked solid, great offloads and was solid in defence.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:28 am

Tapine is viewed as a 'developing player' so why would the knights continue to develop him when they know he isnt going to be there next year.
    Im happy its worked out for everyone, it seems though that the knights are the biggest losers out of it all - zero compensation for allowing him to be released early.

Pauli Pauli went well, some great runs, but he wont be consistent.

I like browns comments - some of the young guys outplaying the older guys. Very true. No agression what so ever from the older established guys.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:36 am

leaguegod wrote:honestly, the real culprit of this messy situation is the NRL and its allowing players to sign for other teams before the start of the season, its unacceptable
    This.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:47 am

He's been released. Excellent. The club was really happy with the final result which is good. Was hoping for a player swap, would have been nice to add someone else to our forwards.
    RandomSil
    RandomSil

Post by RandomSil Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:14 am

Honeysett wrote:He's been released. Excellent. The club was really happy with the final result which is good. Was hoping for a player swap, would have been nice to add someone else to our forwards.

What result would they be happy with? Not paying for any of his contract this season? Does he head to Canberra this year?
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:45 am

Random wrote:

What result would they be happy with? Not paying for any of his contract this season? Does he head to Canberra this year?

Yeah no cost to us I would assume they would be happy with. I would take a development player from Canberra.

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 12:04 am