NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NSW Blues

Honeysett
    Honeysett

NSW Blues - Page 25 Empty Re: NSW Blues

Post by Honeysett Tue May 17, 2016 4:30 pm

Ice wrote:

The only thing worth commenting on there is the highlighted part.

Seriously, again, 10 years of this type of thinking has cost as dearly.  You reckon the qld selectors ever thought, "Gee, how can we beat these guys??? I know, lets pick a guy whose main "redeeming" feature is he might piss a few blokes off with his shit blokeishness, that will learn them"  Seriously, it just spurs the Qlders on and gives the superior talent even more motivation to simply play better footy.  The fact is too, he simply Doesn't get under the Qlders skin, they just laugh him off like the average player he is.

We haven't had 10 years of this because of that reason. We have because QLD have absolutely amazing players and they've stuck with them.

Yes we've made selection mistakes but Josh Reynolds isn't one of them. Pearce is one of them and you've said you would rather him in the side than Josh Reynolds which is mental.

Pearce and Ennis are two players proven that they're not up for Origin.

Origin is about moments, win the momentum, win the moments, win the game. It's simple. Your halves just need to get repeat sets and give their players enough ball, that's it.

The QLD selectors have never had a selection headache before because they have players that are outstanding together, they've played series after series together. 3 of the 4 in the spine play week in and week out with each other. The benefits of routing the salary cap and keeping your core. They don't make mistakes because there isn't any to make until their players start to retire.
    dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo Tue May 17, 2016 7:23 pm

And by then we've got Milford, Hunt, Morgan, etc, coming through.

Sorry, you were having a whinge. Being the nice khunt I am,  I was just saying the pain wasn't necessarily over. Laugh
    Ice

Post by Ice Tue May 17, 2016 8:19 pm

Honeysett wrote:

We haven't had 10 years of this because of that reason. We have because QLD have absolutely amazing players and they've stuck with them.

Yes we've made selection mistakes but Josh Reynolds isn't one of them. Pearce is one of them and you've said you would rather him in the side than Josh Reynolds which is mental.

Origin is about moments, win the momentum, win the moments, win the game. It's simple. Your halves just need to get repeat sets and give their players enough ball, that's it.

The QLD selectors have never had a selection headache before because they have players that are outstanding together, they've played series after series together. 3 of the 4 in the spine play week in and week out with each other. The benefits of routing the salary cap and keeping your core. They don't make mistakes because there isn't any to make until their players start to retire.

No question Qld have had amazing players, but if we had of got our selection right a few times, I'm confident we wouldn't have lost 8 straight, and far too often the line trotted out when we have made those mistakes is "oh, he is an Origin type" or "he has some mongrel about him" when if we'd picked our best team,  that is our most skilled players in their best position and provided balance in our pack as opposed to selecting 6 so called "ball playing backrowers" that all played exactly the same way, we might not have won the majority, but I reckon we would have won a couple of series where we had home ground advantage for 2 games.

No two series were ballsed up as much as 2011 and 2012. 2011 bought us Dean Young!! Seriously, how many times did we here this guy was "made" for Origin. Only problem was, he was a run of the mill clubman, and throw in Jason King as our starting peop in game 1! and whilst we are at it, let's leave Hayne out all together in game one and play him on the wing in game 2 and in the centres in game 3. Top effort Ricky and Selectors.

Then in 2012, we get the mighty Jamie Burhrer from the bench, fuck me dead, the team was actually not that bad, even though we Had Hayne languishing on the wing, but Buhrer, another one of these plodding grinders who are good club men but please, Origin. We'd finally got our shit together and picked Farah. Carney got a chance outside Pearce and they went pretty well. And then we come out and win game two when ricky picked a really balanced pack even with Uate having a shocker, but the rest of the backline going really well. So he makes a couple of tough calls for game 3. He drops Uate, fair enough and the logical replacement was Brett Morris to partner his brother on the right side to minimise the disruption, because Hayne and Jennings were really starting to click on the left aside, so all he needed was one tweak to the right side, but what does he do, he fuckings switches Hayne to the right, where he now has to form A new combo with JMoz, and BMoz comes in and has to form a combo with Jennings on the left, and the backline for game three all of a sudden is basically a completely new one. To top it off, Glenn Stewart can't play through injury, so  Lewis , a player with good attacking skills, decent passing game, a not totally dissimilar game to Stewart, who has been one of the best for NSW all series,who you would think comes back into the starting side for game three, gets left on the bench for the first 60 minutes of the game.  Beau Scott, who wasn't good enough for the team for the first two games,who couldn't be MORE different than Stewart, gets selected and starts and plays that first 60 minutes and Merrin, has been solid enough off the bench in game one and two gets dropped altogether.

What happens, we lose by a point and people think Ricky has found the formula!!! No fucking way!!! Those simple selection errors in. My humble opinion where clearly worth at least a point and in my view cost us the series,  they weren't the reason we got so close in that series.

Yep, we don't have the cattle In the halves, I agree, but some seriously stupid decision making has cost us more than 1 series, of that I have no doubt.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Tue May 17, 2016 9:54 pm

leaguegod wrote:

as you know mate, i'm not one of the guys who lays into about pearce but i've gotta wonder if he is really in the right head space to be involved in origin this year, its gotta be a concern

Of course he would be.

The bloke isn't a basket case, he's simply gotten on the piss and created a media shit storm one too many times. As such he's had to sit out a few games and effectively pull his head in.
    It's a non-event and hardly an issue let alone a concern.

Assuming Farah comes good, I'd bet my left testie that your spine will be:

1. Dugan
    6. Maloney
    7. Pearce
    9. Farah
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Tue May 17, 2016 10:14 pm

dasherhalo wrote:And by then we've got Milford, Hunt, Morgan, etc, coming through.

Sorry, you were having a whinge. Being the nice khunt I am,  I was just saying the pain wasn't necessarily over. Laugh

Yeah they're great players, we've got a fuck load of guys coming through as well.
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Tue May 17, 2016 10:58 pm

If pearce is selected i'll consider missing my first origin game ever, i hate it so much when it is suggested he is our best half. Time after time he has proven he isnt up to origin football.

Post by Guest Tue May 17, 2016 11:10 pm

Honeysett wrote:

Yeah they're great players, we've got a fuck load of guys coming through as well.
    So do we, they just dont know they are QLDers yet.
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Tue May 17, 2016 11:33 pm

mini dynasty coming up for the Blues within the next 2 years I reckon, when Smith, JT, Cronk, Scott, parker retire

settle on a halves pairing and the pack and back 3 will carry them.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed May 18, 2016 8:08 am

Honeysett wrote:

Personally, I think that league is more about - everyone else keeps you in the game, the halves win it for you by making the right decisions.
    Pearce has proven time and time again that he cant make the right decisions under pressure in origin. The fact he has played like 17 or something origin games AND PEOPLE STILL QUESTION HIS SELECTION proves that he isnt right for it.
    Even last year when he couldnt guide the side to kick a field goal was another one of his many many monumental failures at origin level.

If pearce was playing out of his skin and they were losing, we wouldnt have this discussion every year.
    He plays like shit and NSW generally lose in tight games - which means the halves arent doing their job properly. How many more chances does he need?
    Does he get 20 games before he puts in a game winning performance then you think your comments are justified Ozzy?

Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed May 18, 2016 8:11 am

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

Of course he would be.

The bloke isn't a basket case, he's simply gotten on the piss and created a media shit storm one too many times. As such he's had to sit out a few games and effectively pull his head in.
    It's a non-event and hardly an issue let alone a concern.

Assuming Farah comes good, I'd bet my left testie that your spine will be:

1. Dugan
    6. Maloney
    7. Pearce
    9. Farah

Yeah, I think it will be that too. That does not mean its the right one.
    dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo Wed May 18, 2016 8:15 am

Bren wrote:
    So do we, they just dont know they are QLDers yet.

Rolling Laugh
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Wed May 18, 2016 9:48 am

Ice wrote:
    Dugan (position unknown)
    5. Ferguson
    6. Maloney
    8. Woods
    Tamou (Starting Prop or bench)
    Gallen (Starting Prop or lock)
    Cordner (Starting backrow or bench)
    Klemmer (bench)

i wouldn't consider either cordner or fergusson locks

but i do think jennings is a lock

apart from that i agree, those are the only guys i feel 100% certain loz will pick
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Wed May 18, 2016 10:01 am

Ennis & Peats aren't origin quality. With the amount of origin quality halves we have, why hasn't anyone suggested sticking one of those in at hooker. People talk about playing players out of position but never look past the backline.
    Dip

Post by Dip Wed May 18, 2016 10:12 am

One of the best things about being a QLD supporter the last few years as watching all the discussion from NSW fans about selections in the lead up to, and following official announcement of the team.
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Wed May 18, 2016 10:44 am

Dip wrote:One of the best things about being a QLD supporter the last few years as watching all the discussion from NSW fans about selections in the lead up to, and following official announcement of the team.

discussions before are pretty fun as a NSW fan tbh

i personally hate the whinging after, once the team is selected, move on and support them

there is a few particular here that you know will just bag the shit out of the team to the point you'd swear they hope they lose so they can say they were right
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed May 18, 2016 4:59 pm

Your Name wrote:Ennis & Peats aren't origin quality. With the amount of origin quality halves we have, why hasn't anyone suggested sticking one of those in at hooker. People talk about playing players out of position but never look past the backline.

Ive said for a long time that I think Peaces best position is Hooker.
    I think that him being the bench utility would be very good for him.

1. It takes the pressure off him being the 7. Even if he comes on and plays in the halves, all that pressure is not on him from the get go.
    2. He is a shit halfback at origin level
    3. His defence is up to defending in the middle for 25mins or so.. To play there full time tho he would have to put on a bit of weight.
    4. He covers hooker/half/6 and a bit of back row like Cronk/DCE/Morgan do.

I would be more than happy with Pearce as the bench utility.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed May 18, 2016 5:01 pm

leaguegod wrote:

discussions before are pretty fun as a NSW fan tbh

i personally hate the whinging after, once the team is selected, move on and support them

there is a few particular here that you know will just bag the shit out of the team to the point you'd swear they hope they lose so they can say they were right

Yeah a bit of fantasy team booking is always a bit of fun.

Im always outraged when loz doesnt pick the players I want though, and hope they lose so I can say I was right.
    Currently I sit at Pieman: 9 Loz:1
    Ice

Post by Ice Wed May 18, 2016 5:15 pm

Pieman wrote:

Kurt Gidley was picking the team was he?

At his peak, Gidley was the best utility in the game. He should have never been picked anywhere else for origin, but was. Its hardly his fault.

I wouldnt hate it if Jreynolds is in the side. I mean, he won a series playing 6 so why not put him there again. He and scott together really rattled thurston (a bit).

No, it wasn't his fault, it was Laurie Fucking Daleys fault!!
    Ice

Post by Ice Wed May 18, 2016 5:19 pm

leaguegod wrote:

i wouldn't consider either cordner or fergusson locks

but i do think jennings is a lock

apart from that i agree, those are the only guys i feel 100% certain loz will pick

Locks for the team in that Id be willing to bet my hard earned they will both be selected. If i had to pick 8 certainties that i thought Daley would go with, they would be the 8. I don't believe they should be locks for the team personally.
    Ice

Post by Ice Wed May 18, 2016 5:23 pm

Your Name wrote:Ennis & Peats aren't origin quality. With the amount of origin quality halves we have, why hasn't anyone suggested sticking one of those in at hooker. People talk about playing players out of position but never look past the backline.

Ennis has proven that he isn't Origin quality.

Peats hasn't had the chance. And the issue isn't that we have too many Origin quality halves, its that we have NONE!! I can't think of any of the halves options that I would prefer at hooker over the potential that Peats has based on his performances with the Eels, where he has consistently been one of our best 3 players.

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 12:12 pm