NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 4

multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms
    Fanatic

NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 4 - Page 4 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 4

Post by multiple.scoregasms Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:33 am

Mulvy wrote:Anyone else finding it hard to find a spot for Mann? Priced at 24 I've got him at about 37, should be pretty straightforward but just always seems to throw my team balance out for some reason.....Something doesn't sit right?

I was having the same issue Mulvy. I think Mann is too expensive for 18/19 man and I really don't like trusting him as my second half. If my team structure had me running 2 halves above him with Mann in 14-17 I would be happy with it but I don't think he outscores any of the hookers(Friend, Koroisau, Brailey, Grant)
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:35 am

Camo123 wrote:

If you stick with this would you not use a trade on your CTRs and forego players like Latrell/Hopoate later in the year that might average more or would you stick with CTRs that might not score at the same level

If I was picking a 2nd expensive CTR alongside Burns I’d also probably lean towards Staggs over Leilua. Slightly undervalued with a few bench appearances and still has high ceiling and may be outside D Fifita/TPJ who can open up gaps for him

Fifita isnt much of a draw and pass kind of guy, he will try to run through or around the guy in front of him instead. 0 LBAs and just 2 TAs last season. Not really great for the center outside him, unless he is being used as a dummy runner .... which would be a huge waste, just give Fifita the ball!
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:47 am

Bethany_B wrote:

I like the thinking of two gun halves, but I think Croft is an absolute must-have at 536k, he'll be getting enough kick metres to hedge against the risk of him not scoring much else, similar to what Wighton was doing last year.

I actually had Cleary in my team but swapped him for JFH since my FRF was very weak (had Carrigan there since I couldn't afford both Knight and Fotu) and I could just move Brimson up to half, Lomax to WFB and get my high upside POD in BJ at CTR.

Hmmm selling Croft as this years Wighton has me rethinking him.
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:59 am

Ok here is my Croft included team, have gone from really weak halves to strong halves this week (only $5k remaining):
    Friend
    Haas (C) Carrigan
    Fifita Garner Leilua
    Cleary Croft
    Burns Milne
    Papy Isaako Toa/Leleisioau

Koroisau Brimson Grant Mann
    Rudolph Magoulias Luai Talau

Just counting on a few cheapies being named in TLT as always seems to happen every year.

Feel like it is a pretty well balanced side with strength in every position.
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:28 am

Don't see Croft as a Wighton type. Wighton was a cut-price Munster. You know he's going to get a decent base from defence and hard, straight running, plus the 10-15 points from KMs. Croft might score ok, I don't know, but he's not that sort of player at all.
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:35 am

Its fun putting teams together, but with so many 'value' second rowers in peoples teams with huge uncertainty around what their roles are going to be (Lucy, Hess, Stimson, Carrigan etc), I hope people have got a few plan Bs in mind.

Re Croft, there is no way he is a 'must-have' although I can absolutely see the argument for having him. I had him in the mix originally but am leanging toward a double gun half team.

Re Mann, I have him pegged at 34, and I still think I will find a space for him in my team. He gives decent cover at half if needed, plays the first bye, has DPP which doenst hurt, and out of the 'value' players I've analysed so far, ranks 10th but I see a few above him dropping out when they inevitably dont get the starting spot I make the assumption they will have when generating numbers...

Re basement price WFB, I wouldnt worry too much at this point, one or two will reveal them selves in the coming weeks. The tough bit is whether you get 'Sivo' or 'Ravalawa'!

Re Best, I haven't analysed his stats yer, but his price is awkward! Assuming many are running Lomax, as someone previously posted, you'd be wanting/expecting low 30s from him at least, otherwise I think paying up to get a bit more certainty is preferable.

Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:39 am

multiple.scoregasms wrote:

I was having the same issue Mulvy. I think Mann is too expensive for 18/19 man and I really don't like trusting him as my second half. If my team structure had me running 2 halves above him with Mann in 14-17 I would be happy with it but I don't think he outscores any of the hookers(Friend, Koroisau, Brailey, Grant)

Yeah, and that's it. The way I have him in my team currently is with 2 gun haves, which pretty much means you cant afford a gun hooker (certainly in my case having Haas), one of the above goes into starting hooker, and there's a space for Mann in the 14-17 spot. For what its worth, at this stage Im not running with Friend as well.
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:24 am

Morning all! Coffee time. Hopefully these mass quote replies aren't too annoying...

FalconSloth wrote:I really don't feel the same way for Best i think others do. he averaged 23 fantasy points in reserve grade so dont see any reason there will be any change there.

I agree re Best, I am looking to miss him, but it does depend a little on what other options come up. If Milne starts round 1 I will probably take a punt there, I see no reason why he can't average close enough to Best to make the price difference worth it. Biggest worry for Milne would be his job security though.

FalconSloth wrote:Also any love for the carty party saw it mentioned a few pages back, he is priced at 32 and if given the starting spot at second row should average around 10 points higher than he is priced

Toot toot all aboard!! But nah, I can't trust him. He might play 50 and sub for Peachey who comes on and runs around on that left edge. Just don't knwo whats going to happen there. If Carty was going to play close to 80 though, he has definite value.

Mulvy wrote: Welcome  mate. It's Mulvy here. Love what you've done there, a lack of Pappenhuyizeiyzn has given gun halves. Don't mind it really. Would love some discussion on whether Paps is must have or not.

I've come around on picking Paps. I'm still not as sold on him as others, but to see him go big as a non owner is a bigger risk to start the season than owning him for low to mid 30s. I can't see him being a complete flop so its a risk free selection. The Storm always start the year strongly as well.

Rippin and Tearin wrote:Re Mann, I have him pegged at 34

Has anyone looked into why he averages 27 tackles a game at 5/8 across 8 or so games in 2018/2019? Did he sub into hooker or something during those games? Just seems too high.

For the record, I reckon Mann averages 29. I can't see a lot for him to do, Pearce will dominate the kick metres, Ponga will dominate the play making on the left. Mann might benefit somehow there but I think he'll be a catch and pass 5/8

Rabbits21 wrote:Righteo, for round 1 if you got given the choice of only one of Brimson or Isaako who would you pick?

Its probably not a make or break decision but its a very tough one, and one for me that may just come down to the fact that Brimson plays round 12. I'm considering Paps/Isaako/Brimson as my back three but then I look at that and it feels a little too mid range. You can make a case for both players. Again, hard to see either being a complete flop as well, both have reasonable runs on the board.
    GreenMachine
    GreenMachine

Post by GreenMachine Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:38 am

I’ve somehow ended up with a team of Cook, Haas, halves pairing of Moses/Cleary and Papman at fullback

The Guns and Cows still very much alive gents! Laughing
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:42 am

my tv broke wrote:Morning all! Coffee time. Hopefully these mass quote replies aren't too annoying...

I agree re Best, I am looking to miss him, but it does depend a little on what other options come up. If Milne starts round 1 I will probably take a punt there, I see no reason why he can't average close enough to Best to make the price difference worth it. Biggest worry for Milne would be his job security though.

Toot toot all aboard!! But nah, I can't trust him. He might play 50 and sub for Peachey who comes on and runs around on that left edge. Just don't knwo whats going to happen there. If Carty was going to play close to 80 though, he has definite value.

I've come around on picking Paps. I'm still not as sold on him as others, but to see him go big as a non owner is a bigger risk to start the season than owning him for low to mid 30s. I can't see him being a complete flop so its a risk free selection. The Storm always start the year strongly as well.

Has anyone looked into why he averages 27 tackles a game at 5/8 across 8 or so games in 2018/2019? Did he sub into hooker or something during those games? Just seems too high.

For the record, I reckon Mann averages 29. I can't see a lot for him to do, Pearce will dominate the kick metres, Ponga will dominate the play making on the left. Mann might benefit somehow there but I think he'll be a catch and pass 5/8

Its probably not a make or break decision but its a very tough one, and one for me that may just come down to the fact that Brimson plays round 12. I'm considering Paps/Isaako/Brimson as my back three but then I look at that and it feels a little too mid range. You can make a case for both players. Again, hard to see either being a complete flop as well, both have reasonable runs on the board.

No I havent mate, and as you allude to, it could be quite important. This is also where my lack of NRL knowledge and inability to watch most games hurts me. That said, I remember owning and watching him in one game at SG a while back. He may have been playing half or C, cant recall. I do remember watching him make a tonne of tackles though... and doing so effectively. Were they targeting him that day? did play just run down that side a lot? I dont know, but it did appear to me that he was a good defended at the least.
    Iron Mike
    Iron Mike

Post by Iron Mike Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:52 am

my tv broke wrote:Morning all! Coffee time. Hopefully these mass quote replies aren't too annoying...

I'm purely going with Isaako due to GK and Broncos I expect to score loads of tries. Brimson will go well, just not sure opening 6 rounds will be kind to him.

Apparently it was widely known Mann had a sternum injury and came back a month early, hence teams targeted him and ran at him at every opportunity. Hence 36 tackles but 7 missed against Roosters in round 11.

Found this article on his injury in round 3 against raiders. https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/18/brave-mann-breaks-pain-barrier/

- I think he will be used as a running 5/8 and can break a tackle, should go well.
    Drifterspence
    Drifterspence

Post by Drifterspence Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:01 am

Anyone see a post about Haas having an ankle injury during training? Thought i read it somewhere?
    13CokeHeads
    13CokeHeads

Post by 13CokeHeads Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:06 am

Drifterspence wrote:Anyone see a post about Haas having an ankle injury during training? Thought i read it somewhere?
    he is a racehorse and im sure its all good for roulnd 1
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:09 am

Drifterspence wrote:Anyone see a post about Haas having an ankle injury during training? Thought i read it somewhere?

If it wasn't the Broncos you wouldn't have heard about it. Rolled his ankle, did light running away from main group. Will be back to full training tomorrow.
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:20 am

NRL.COM article on the Warriors. CHT a standout in training, apparently. Blake Green quoted on saying Nikorima has only been training in the halves as well though.

Honestly they wouldn't know what is good for them if it smacked them in the face.

Any time a club is unsure on a key spine position right up until trials, they inevitably struggle.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:26 am

Some halves just tackle. When Trent Hodkinson came into first grade it wasn't unusual to see him make 40 tackles in a game.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:31 am

Rippin and Tearin wrote:Its fun putting teams together, but with so many 'value' second rowers in peoples teams with huge uncertainty around what their roles are going to be (Lucy, Hess, Stimson, Carrigan etc), I hope people have got a few plan Bs in mind.

I can't see myself having more than 5 2RFs in my squad (maybe 6 if a cheap DPP FRF turns up)
    There are way more than 5 options I'd be happy with in my team

I am way more concerned about leaving out the wrong player than about not having a viable option
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:34 am

I saw a post this morning that Bennett has done his achillies
    Mulvy
    Mulvy

Post by Mulvy Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:43 am

my tv broke wrote:

My 37 for Mann may be a tad high, but 29 seems too low. Dylan Brown averaged 35 at 5/8 next to a dominant half with hardly any kick metres. Te Maire Martin averaged 34 at 5/8 with hardly any kick metres. Jack Cogger 34 at 5/8. CHT 36 at 5/8 although he got some more km's. I think an experienced player like Mann can get at least low to mid 30's no matter who their halves partner is.
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:56 am

Milchcow wrote:

I can't see myself having more than 5 2RFs in my squad (maybe 6 if a cheap DPP FRF turns up)
    There are way more than 5 options I'd be happy with in my team

I am way more concerned about leaving out the wrong player than about not having a viable option

Agree, hence why some important analysis is required for plan Bs. If people's A-plan doesnt end up getting the starting spot they were hoping for, then they gotta make sure they've done the analysis to get the right plan B as often there's only a few days to make that call!

Im still working through all the players I have interest in, but as of now, if Lucy got the start, I'd have him, D Fifita too. Im kinda expecting one of those wont be in my round 1 team though, hence analysing deeper for contingencies!

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:00 pm