NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2019 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 4

Welshy
    Welshy

2019 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 4 - Page 3 Empty Re: 2019 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 4

Post by Welshy Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:56 am

GreenMachine wrote:Cam Smith reinstated
    Armband on
    Feels good

Got me thinking, who in current drafting are you struggling most to not see in your lineup. The moves and shakes it took me to get Smith probably make it Matterson, Munster and Mahoney for me. Triple M

Also had to go cheaper on the bench to afford smith so now without some of my fave cheap bench fodder - Egan and Bird. The extra 50k from each (to rookies) just goes a long way

Cook and Fifita

but I won't break the bank for Cook for reasons previously stated many times today lol

I'm happy with Pangai over Fifi for the $$$ saving can see a huge year for him

Munster is one of the higher priced guy I would be willing to sacrifice but I reckon he goes gangbusters this year
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

2019 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 4 - Page 3 Empty Re: 2019 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 4

Post by rhinoceroo Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:12 am

My tip would be Murray to play edge and replicate Crichton's role and scoring. Sam to stay at 13... hasn't got the lateral movement to defend the edges. Depends on his minutes (surely plays 60 plus) but expect him to beat last year's scores because from memory he onlt scored one try last year, and that's got to be an outlier.
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:14 am

rhinoceroo wrote:My tip would be Murray to play edge and replicate Crichton's role and scoring. Sam to stay at 13... hasn't got the lateral movement to defend the edges. Depends on his minutes (surely plays 60 plus) but expect him to beat last year's scores because from memory he onlt scored one try last year, and that's got to be an outlier.

My thinking!

Whats your current line up looking like fella?
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:49 am

Welshy wrote:

My thinking!

Whats your current line up looking like fella?

It's pretty standard atm. AMac and Ted my only 700+ players, Arey & Morgan in the halves, Surgess and TPJ up front with a load of mid-rangers in 2rf and cheapies in the backs. I'm sure it'll change...
    GreenMachine
    GreenMachine

Post by GreenMachine Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:07 am

Welshy wrote:

Cook and Fifita

but I won't break the bank for Cook for reasons previously stated many times today lol

I'm happy with Pangai over Fifi for the $$$ saving can see a huge year for him

Munster is one of the higher priced guy I would be willing to sacrifice but I reckon he goes gangbusters this year

I’m with you on Cook (went with Smith and Macca because I think a lot will make the mistake of only going one hooker, especially if said hooker is Cook).

Agree Re: TPJ

I might be back to drawing board on Munster but I’m really liking my WFB backline of Ted, Edwards, Watson
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:45 am

GreenMachine wrote:

I’m with you on Cook (went with Smith and Macca because I think a lot will make the mistake of only going one hooker, especially if said hooker is Cook).

Agree Re: TPJ

I might be back to drawing board on Munster but I’m really liking my WFB backline of Ted, Edwards, Watson

Munster only available in HLF mate which is a bugger but reckon he goes over 50 this year, but just a gut call if I'm honest, not much to back it up
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:57 am

Widdop intrigues me if he gets WFB added
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:47 am

Really surprised Gillett hasn't been talked about more, serious injury comeback yes, but in the previous 42 regular season games he's played he scored under his current priced average (37) only 7 times!

Have actually seen him be poo pooed for a MT slight?
    He has an Average of 48 over 3/4 seasons! Lock him in for me
    GreenMachine
    GreenMachine

Post by GreenMachine Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:27 am

Welshy wrote:

Munster only available in HLF mate which is a bugger but reckon he goes over 50 this year, but just a gut call if I'm honest, not much to back it up

Ah yeah wasn’t clear... just meant that I’ve burned a lot of funds at fullback. Would need to move one to a rookie priced player in order to enable Munster or another gun half to go with Morgan.

The only 2 players that interest me in that bracket outside of Lomax who I already have at centre is Gray or Allan if either jag a start.
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:20 am

Welshy wrote:Really surprised Gillett hasn't been talked about more, serious injury comeback yes, but in the previous 42 regular season games he's played he scored under his current priced average (37) only 7 times!

Have actually seen him be poo pooed for a MT slight?
    He has an Average of 48 over 3/4 seasons! Lock him in for me
    A broken neck is a pretty serious injury.
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms

Post by multiple.scoregasms Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:45 am

Mulvy wrote:Okay so continuing on from before, if you don't take Cook or Smith as your captain, who is your captain? Someone you want starting in your 2019 team who you can captain?

Few nice options that I would be willing to captain. Need to have the high floor ability to not let you down but also a high ceiling to match the likes of Smith/Cook when they have those big games.

Currently have the C on Crichton but would consider JTurbo/Fifita and Taupau if you think he can back up a career year
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:51 am

What are people expecting from Connor Watson?

He's only played 4 career games at fullback. Averaged 50 but also made 33 tackle breaks over those 4 games. Is that sustainable scoring or just a couple of good games?
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms

Post by multiple.scoregasms Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:55 am

In game without Slater last year Munster averaged 61.5. Pretty small sample size of 4 games but something of interest.

In 2017 pretty similar story, 3 games at an average of 69.

In total only 1 try across those 7 games but it looks like Munster steps up in Slater's absence and takes on more of a running role. Definitely one to watch for me

Last edited by multiple.scoregasms on Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total
    GreenMachine
    GreenMachine

Post by GreenMachine Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:58 am

Milchy wrote:What are people expecting from Connor Watson?

He's only played 4 career games at fullback. Averaged 50 but also made 33 tackle breaks over those 4 games. Is that sustainable scoring or just a couple of good games?

Haven’t thought too much about expected scores, and have barely looked at his price... Have just waited for this guy to nail down a serious role with consistent max minutes and looks like his time is coming, at the best of positions for him (and us).

The fact the knights have now shown ability for their fullback to go large, and without mentioning anything about houses being trained down, he looks an absolute machine this pre-season.
    GreenMachine
    GreenMachine

Post by GreenMachine Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:58 am

multiple.scoregasms wrote:In game without Slater last year Munster averaged 61.5. Pretty small sample size of 4 games but something of interest.

In 2018 pretty similar story, 3 games at an average of 69.

In total only 1 try across those 7 games but it looks like Munster steps up in Slater's absence and takes on more of a running role. Definitely one to watch for me

Yep sold (again) tataa Surgess
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms

Post by multiple.scoregasms Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:03 am

surmo13 wrote:Cook worries me far too much to bring in as the most expensive player in the game, i have 2 big question marks on him that mean i won't be touching him at least until some balls get kicked in anger:

a) Wayne's teams are always very structured, especially his spines, Cook had great base stats but was elevated above everyone else due to the insane amount of TB's he'd get with off-the-cuff play, will the gameplanning under Wayne this year afford him the same freedom?

b) if he is afforded that freedom, a lot of teams were successful in limiting his effectiveness in the back-end of the season, barely heard him mentioned trough the finals series or his forgettable games for Australia, was that more to do with Cook winding down after a big season or is there a blueprint on how to stop him now?

Couple of my opinions on Cook -

Wayne has never had a hooker with the ability of Cook. He has always had lower tier options that were closer to tackle bots than game breakers. Wayne would be insane to game plan Cook's running game out.

Couple of reasons Cook slowed down at the back end. Firstly he was noticeably tired coming out of Origin. Cook is one of the fittest blokes in the comp but his first full season as a big minute hooker had to take it's toll. Secondly there was a change around how Souths played. Early in the season, rather than fighting for extra metres in the ruck Souths big boys(particularly Gurgess and Turgess) would almost surrender in the tackle, dropping to hands and knees on impact allowing quick play the balls. By around mid season the refs seemed to figure out this was basically a surrender tackle and allowed the defense to hang on a bit longer. Slower play the balls = less room to run against a set defense. From round 15 on wards Cook had a negligible down tick in TBs, run metres. Biggest impact appears to be in the line breaks with 7 in the first 12 rounds and 2 in the back half.

On to if Cook can back it up, this is highly dependent on how the game will be refereed. Will be very interesting watching early season to see if the big boys are allowed to drop to hands and knees for a quick play the ball or if advantage is being given to the defense.
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms

Post by multiple.scoregasms Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:07 am

I would expect a chunk of run metres on kick returns, a solid amount of tackle breaks (33 is definitely unsustainable) and chiming in for the occasional attack stats. Expecting Knights to line up similar to prime Cowboys with Pearce(JT) patrolling the middle in attack, Ponga(Coote) stationed on the left edge working his magic and Watson(Morgan) on the right
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:34 am

Krump wrote:
    A broken neck is a pretty serious injury.

100% mate but if he is back playing 80 on the edge by end of trials should mean he is fully
    over it
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:39 am

Have had at points Tedesco Edwards and Watson at the back! I reckon he guns it but I’m not sure I’ll
    Start that heavy at the back so will likely come downto whether I partner Tedesco with Edward or Watson
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:41 am

multiple.scoregasms wrote:

Couple of my opinions on Cook -

Wayne has never had a hooker with the ability of Cook. He has always had lower tier options that were closer to tackle bots than game breakers. Wayne would be insane to game plan Cook's running game out.

Couple of reasons Cook slowed down at the back end. Firstly he was noticeably tired coming out of Origin. Cook is one of the fittest blokes in the comp but his first full season as a big minute hooker had to take it's toll. Secondly there was a change around how Souths played. Early in the season, rather than fighting for extra metres in the ruck Souths big boys(particularly Gurgess and Turgess) would almost surrender in the tackle, dropping to hands and knees on impact allowing quick play the balls. By around mid season the refs seemed to figure out this was basically a surrender tackle and allowed the defense to hang on a bit longer. Slower play the balls = less room to run against a set defense. From round 15 on wards Cook had a negligible down tick in TBs, run metres. Biggest impact appears to be in the line breaks with 7 in the first 12 rounds and 2 in the back half.

On to if Cook can back it up, this is highly dependent on how the game will be refereed. Will be very interesting watching early season to see if the big boys are allowed to drop to hands and knees for a quick play the ball or if advantage is being given to the defense.

Interesting stuff. The usual way the NRL works is that refs are hot on play-the-balls for the first few weeks of the season then completely forget about them.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:23 pm