NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

Aus Squad

No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Aus Squad - Page 2 Empty Re: Aus Squad

Post by No Worries Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:01 am

Pieman wrote:Some odd selections

Fuck mal has made some odd calls
    TTrbo in the centres with gagai on the wing.. yeah Gagai plays well on the wing, but so does TTrbo and Gagai acutally plays centre at club level..

Keary straight into the starting side..

McLean starting
    Kaufusi starting over Friz
    McGuire starting over TTrbo

WOODS IS IN THE FUCKING SIDE OVER RCG

Hunt is somewhat dubious there as well

Mal has a history of favouring QLD and is salty
    Gagai plays on the wing for QLD
    Kafusi plays for QLD
    McGuire plays for QLD

Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:27 am

Pieman wrote:

Fuck mal has made some odd calls
    TTrbo in the centres with gagai on the wing.. yeah Gagai plays well on the wing, but so does TTrbo and Gagai acutally plays centre at club level..

Keary straight into the starting side..

McLean starting
    Kaufusi starting over Friz
    McGuire starting over TTrbo

WOODS IS IN THE FUCKING SIDE OVER RCG

Hunt is somewhat dubious there as well

Fairly comfortable with most of those decisions to be honest.

TTurbo and Gagai....meh.
    Much of a muchness where they both end up playing and would come simply down to tactics and how the coach wants to use each player.
    All good as far as I'm concerned.

McLean was immense when he came back from injury at the end of the year and was the form prop in the comp IMO.
    Plus he's a NSWelshman, so you can stick your conspiracy theories.

Kaufusi had an amazing year (almost best QLD player this year) and whilst I like Friz too, his impact off the bench makes sense to me.
    Same theory could apply for McGuire over JTurbo although McGuire's form this season not as good but happy enough with that call.
    I personally like the thought of JTurbo coming on fresh and causing havoc with his ball playing - has worked with NSW in the past.

Woods is shit but RCG pretty average when he returned from injury so happy enough to carry that plodder.

Hunt the best utility in the comp - sorry Peach.

People seem to think Mal has some weird agenda to promote QLD (despite that no longer being his job) and tend to easily forget that he was also a Kangaroo's legend......when that was the pinnacle of the sport.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:29 pm

Again, its an odd decision to have Gagai at wing (when he plays centre) with TTrbo at centre.
    Sure, its somewhat nitpicky but its odd nonetheless. Especially considering how good TTbo was on the wing for NSW this year.

McLean .. lol Absolute bizarre decision. He played 10 games all year and STARTS for australia. Its not like he was already played 15 tests for australia too and is coming back into his spot. Bench, sure, but starting??? far out.

Kaufusi could have just as good of an impact from the bench as Friz would. The only thing I am thinking is that they will plan to use Friz in the front row as well. 100% should not be starting over Friz.

McGuire, he cant lace JTrbos boots as a player. He should be on the bench and should be used as a middle forward. It is a cardinal sin that he has been selected behind Josh McGuire to start.

Woods is terrible and shouldnt be in the side - RCG is one of the best props in the comp. Woods is not.
    Crazy one.

Hunt, no hes not. Sorry OZ.

Luke Keary is the starting 6 for Australia. Just let that soak in. Just wow.
    Even DCE as the starting 7 for australia is a crazy selection.

leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:28 am

keary and DCE arn't bad decisions, maloney, morgan & munster not available, cronk and JT retired (repo footy only in cronks case). the quality there is just at a bit of a low

Gagai may play centre at club level but its best footy over the last couple of years has actually been on the wing for QLD, he played for a great attacking team in souths this year and was barely sighted. I'm sure Ttrbo will do a good job at centre

Mclean finished the year pretty strong, when you look at the props who played origin, only klemmer was really ever a cert for various reasons, i'm happy enough with him being there

i probs would have actually started both mcguire and jtrbo (one at prop) and had mclean off the bench but either way jtrbo will end up playing starters minutes anyways

i agree that friz should be starting, the fact that he can play in the middle probably puts him on the bench but i think its an error if he doesn't atleast see some edge time, he is our most damaging edge forward

Peachey probably covers more positions but i'd say hunt has been picked to play 20-30 minutes at dummy half and he does that better then peachey

agree re woods/rcg
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:06 pm

Luke Keary straight into the starting side for Australia... I mean.. wow. It is prob just me but I really dont rate him that highly.

He started the season well, He was out injured a fair bit of the year, comes back quietly and has a good game in the gf.

You have blokes like cleary, pearce, moylan - who have all played origin fairly recently who deserve a shot over him IMO. Fuck even starting hunt over him with DCE at 6 makes more sense to me.

As I said with gagai / ttrbo - its a bit nitpicky, I just find it slightly odd. I dont think that gagai wont do a good job on the wing, or that Ttrbo wont do a good job at centre.

I dont hate mclean being there but starting him is wrong IMO.

all the players selected will most likely do a great job - just a few rub me the wrong way lol

Post by Guest Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:09 pm

If the back-end of this year has proved anything, it's that Cook is bog average when he doesn't have a dominant forward pack opening up the defensive line for him

Post by Guest Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:19 pm

surmo13 wrote:If the back-end of this year has proved anything, it's that Cook is bog average when he doesn't have a dominant forward pack opening up the defensive line for him

To me it shows that with Klein reffing the non favourite always wins!
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:54 pm

surmo13 wrote:If the back-end of this year has proved anything, it's that Cook is bog average when he doesn't have a dominant forward pack opening up the defensive line for him

he is no cameron smith thats for sure but why cant the Aus side dominate for him..?? thats the big question.
    DCE is in the same boat.. absolute dog shit if the forwards arent dominating.

Ben hunt had a good chance to show that he is an elite half for 85% of an international tonight, he was fucking dreadful. Is ponga injured? He would be my 14 if he is healthy. Hunt can fuck right off. Start him at hooker or dont have him at all.
    Mitchell had a night... some shithouse some great.
    Our forwards just seemed a bit behind the pace.

Woods, gone. Why the FUCK is he even there with RCG healthy.
    Mclean.. did he even play?? fark me he did nothing.
    McGuire had a decent game, I like him off the bench though to come on in the middle and clean up a bit when blokes are tired.
    Friz needs to start, his size and hard running would be invaluable on that edge. Did we use him as a bench prop??

Its not panic stations really, but the side just needs a tweak. The Kiwis had a classic case tonight of just wanting it more.

Post by Guest Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:36 pm

i hit on this back when we were making Aus team predictions after origin - whether anyone wants to admit it or not because of the McFlavour factor, McCullough is the closest thing Australia has to a complete hooker at the moment, at least he has defence and a kicking game to hang his hat on, the moment Cook loses the speed factor, he is nothing, and when you consider the massive forward packs that England, NZ & Tonga are consistently putting forward, relying on our forward packs to be the dominating presence he needs is silly... again like i said back when, it won't happen, but fielding Macca until the forwards are tired and then putting a fresh Cook out there is the way to move forward in a post-Smith Roos team until such time we have a fully well-rounded no.9 to do the job.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:46 am

McCullough's service is slow as fuck..

I said the same thing in origin - and Cook proved me wrong in the first 2 games. Did nothing in the third game when QLD decided to put up a bit of a fight.

IMO, we need someone to start at hooker then he can come on after.
    Start Hunt at hooker and bring cook on when blokes are tired. Give hunt a go at starting 9, if he isnt up to it (he clearly isnt up to starting half either) then look outside the squad.

Cook is the best running Hooker in the game, and they need to pick the team accordingly. He always runs after Gurgess and Turgess and Murray's quick play the balls. If the Aus forwards arent playing the ball quick enough to suit Cook, then pick forwards who will. Designate that job to a few of the forwards - purely aim to get a fast play the ball not fight for mtrs etc.

Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:53 am

McLean had 3 runs.
    3. Was he injured????

Fuck me....

leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:38 pm

i don't think mclean came back on for a second stint, trailing in the second half, we were probs never gonna go with to many big bodies late

i think its easy to blame certain selections when we lose but to me, we lost that because we jsut kept dropping the ball, we gave ourselves no possession because we couldn't the ball that whole first half, and most of the guys guilty of it arnt the guys people think shouldn't have been there. we defended well in the first half, kiwis looked dangerous but we kept our line but eventually the weight of field position showed

i mean was woods even that bad, i didn't want him there but i thought he actually went ok, again i just feel like losing helps justify's peoples thoughts on the selections regardless of how those players went

we looked pretty good when ever we held the ball for long enough, we jsut didn't do that

cook was poor but still by far our best option, still had some good touches but couldn't go 80, the keary injury was annoying, cook/hunt playing 50/30 mins would have been perfect

frizzell was way under used
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:43 pm

also, kiwis deserve their credit too, their line speed forced alot of those errors, backline was pretty threatening most of the game, offloads really opened us up. they probably let us off a few times with some meh kicks but overall the best they have looked in a few years imo
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:08 pm

I duno mate, it was a fairly close game until about the middle of the second half - then it got close again.
    Your starting and so called form prop of the comp should be on. 3 runs... I mean fuck.. what was he doing in the first half? Its just not good enough from a starting prop in any team let alone the best RL team in the world.

Of course Kiwis deserve credit, they played with so much more energy than the aussies. So much more. They just wanted to win more than the aussies who fankly looked like they didnt really give a fuck for the most part.

Woods had his usual game. Fairly high work rate with little impact.
    Friz.. yep spot on mate

ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Post by ryno_ Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:01 am

Anybody else slightly frustrated over the circle jerk on that Kiwi Jnr kids scorpion kick play? Like, sure its pretty impressive and takes some balls to pull off... but its against the rules. You can't do it. Why is that in a highlights package? Bah, humbug.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:45 am

ryno_ wrote:Anybody else slightly frustrated over the circle jerk on that Kiwi Jnr kids scorpion kick play? Like, sure its pretty impressive and takes some balls to pull off... but its against the rules. You can't do it. Why is that in a highlights package? Bah, humbug.

You sad, miserable old bastard.....

I thought it was pretty bloody cool to be honest - highly unecessary (a normal grubber would have had the same effect) but pretty bloody cool.

You've lost me though, why is it against the rules?
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:52 am

As for the main game, some of the more fickle fans are going to blame selections but in my opinion and at the end of the day, the Kiwi's were just too good.

DWZ's transformation from an average NRL player lucky to keep his 1st grade spot, to an international gun....was particularly impressive.
    ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Post by ryno_ Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:21 am

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

You sad, miserable old bastard.....

I thought it was pretty bloody cool to be honest - highly unecessary (a normal grubber would have had the same effect) but pretty bloody cool.

You've lost me though, why is it against the rules?

I do feel old tbh... Like a grandpa complaining about triple j

But;

SECTION 5
    MODE OF PLAY
    Once play has started any player who is onside or not out of play can run with the ball kick it in any direction and throw or knock it in any direction other than towards his opponents’ dead ball line

KICK means making contact with the ball with any part of the leg (except the heel) from knee to toe inclusive.

It wasn't a kick (by definition) and it is therefore against the rules to advance to ball towards the oppositions line in that way.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:19 am

ryno_ wrote:

I do feel old tbh... Like a grandpa complaining about triple j

But;

SECTION 5
    MODE OF PLAY
    Once play has started any player who is onside or not out of play can run with the ball kick it in any direction and throw or knock it in any direction other than towards his opponents’ dead ball line

KICK means making contact with the ball with any part of the leg (except the heel) from knee to toe inclusive.

It wasn't a kick (by definition) and it is therefore against the rules to advance to ball towards the oppositions line in that way.

Yeah wasn't aware you couldn't kick it with your heel.

Normally rules like that are in place to limit something but I can't for the life of me think what that rule would be in place for?
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:28 am

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

Yeah wasn't aware you couldn't kick it with your heel.

Normally rules like that are in place to limit something but I can't for the life of me think what that rule would be in place for?

Possibly something about differentiating between a kick and a play-the-ball (and something that would have been more relevant back in the days of contested play the balls)

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:50 pm