NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights

my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights - Page 44 Empty Re: 2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights

Post by my tv broke Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:47 pm

Glenn is staying, the deal has already been done. Will be announced when hes back from holidays
    Dip

2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights - Page 44 Empty Re: 2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights

Post by Dip Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:05 pm

No Worries wrote:

Coming back and playing the season after breaking the neck would suggest a hard sell to medically retire him based on that. No insurance company will pay that. As Sumo said they need to somehow make a rotor cuff strain career ending.

But he came back and missed a third of his games with various injuries such as back and knee problems. Whose to say the neck injury didn't contribute to, or was the cause of those. Greg Inglis presumably suffered from depression while he was playing yet was able to use that as a reason. Yow Yeh and (in AFL) Jason McCartney came back to see if they could. I'd be surprised if the NRL doesn't allow it to be honest.
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:28 pm

Dip wrote:

But he came back and missed a third of his games with various injuries such as back and knee problems. Whose to say the neck injury didn't contribute to, or was the cause of those.

If it was, then insurance ain't gonna pay out. He extended his contract with the Broncos after the neck injury..

This shoulder injury happened late in the season, apparently, but he played 80 minutes in the 58 nil drubbing.. The Broncos website says that he was "advised by medical experts to retire from contact sport. He has been told that surgery is not an option at this time and that he would be at significant risk of a further disabling injury and long term consequences if he attempts to continue playing.". Seems a little strange to me.

There is, of course, the option for him to forego his contract.. the article does say "Gillett will remain at the Broncos in an off-field capacity.".
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:44 pm

Dip wrote:

But he came back and missed a third of his games with various injuries such as back and knee problems. Whose to say the neck injury didn't contribute to, or was the cause of those. Greg Inglis presumably suffered from depression while he was playing yet was able to use that as a reason. Yow Yeh and (in AFL) Jason McCartney came back to see if they could. I'd be surprised if the NRL doesn't allow it to be honest.
    Inglis was dodgy AF. Yow Yeh is the perfect example of attempted. Neck, back , shoulder with the right doctor signing the paperwork. Knee's a bit of a stretch.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:38 pm

My understanding is if you retire you're still paid your contract and that's why they need to apply for medically retired. It needs to be a brand new injury from what I read and neither of Burgess or Gillett should be able to be medically retired. They're not fresh injuries, they just can't go anymore and you can't blame them for it.

If they're paid the money should go towards the cap.
    filthridden
    filthridden

Post by filthridden Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:10 pm

Honeysett wrote:My understanding is if you retire you're still paid your contract and that's why they need to apply for medically retired. It needs to be a brand new injury from what I read and neither of Burgess or Gillett should be able to be medically retired. They're not fresh injuries, they just can't go anymore and you can't blame them for it.

If they're paid the money should go towards the cap.

If Surgess's is legit an infection from surgery surely you've got to allow that.

Post by Guest Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:24 pm

it doesn't have to be an immediate retirement after an injury to count, just needs to be an injury that hasn't occured or is not caused by a proir injury known to the club at the time of signing, both the Rabbitohs and Broncos are basically arguing that the players played through the pain of a new shoulder injury that occured in 2019 with an eye towards reco and the doctor/surgeon in charge of such things has taken a look and gone 'shit's fucked, shut it down'
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:30 pm

Ah right that makes more sense. I wasn't sure, was only my understanding of the rules which appears off.

Post by Guest Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:27 am

anyways, enough about medical retirement, fucking gutted for Gillo, you could see how much it was hurting him to have to say those words aloud, bloke had a strong claim to being the best edge forward in the game until the Dragons fucked his neck, and he deserved to go out on a lot better terms than the shit we served up for his milestone.

At least we can take some small comfort in knowing that he delivered his magnum opus before he left us - the cover tackle that made Cummins forget how to Rugby League (though admittedly, given recent events, that may not be as great a challenge as was once thought)
    MilfordTheMagician
    MilfordTheMagician

Post by MilfordTheMagician Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:51 pm

Kahu coming back to the club. Really don't see the point of this unless it means Darius will be in reserve grade all year with Kahu playing centres.

Post by Guest Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:15 pm

MilfordTheMagician wrote:Kahu coming back to the club. Really don't see the point of this unless it means Darius will be in reserve grade all year with Kahu playing centres.

apparently we don't have a choice, the story goes that we released him to the Cows with 2 years left on his contract with the proviso that if they didn't want him after the first year, we'd still be on the hook for the last remaining year, sounds like a bunch of horseshit, i've never heard of a release from a contract that works like that, but if it is true, whoever brokered that deal needs to be looking for a new job yesterday.
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:32 am

It's almost like an EPL loan deal with nothing but downside for the Broncos. It sounds like he was contracted to 2 clubs at once ?? and the NRL allowed that ? The other side of it is how desperate were the broncos for cap relief or roster space to sign something like that. Has to more to this than is being reported.
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:24 am

i'm calling BS on that. it would have to be a handshake deal to return to the club, in which case, it would just be a new contract? I'd have no problem with that, if he is back on 150k, as he will be a backup player.

Would be nice if the NRL could clarify, but that won't happen..

The media manager for the Broncos confirmed on twitter the reports of kahu being on 400k are incorrect.
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:48 pm

2020 Home jersey released. Looks like this years with a major sponsor change to KIA
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:48 pm

my tv broke wrote:i'm calling BS on that. it would have to be a handshake deal to return to the club, in which case, it would just be a new contract? I'd have no problem with that, if he is back on 150k, as he will be a backup player.

Would be nice if the NRL could clarify, but that won't happen..

The media manager for the Broncos confirmed on twitter the reports of kahu being on 400k are incorrect.

As if Kahu would be a back up player at the broncos when your centres are likely Boyd and that other bloke with the terrible last name
    Kahu is a good player when healthy, would take him at any position over Boyd at this stage in his career

Post by Guest Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:39 pm

Pieman wrote:

As if Kahu would be a back up player at the broncos when your centres are likely Boyd and that other bloke with the terrible last name
    Kahu is a good player when healthy, would take him at any position over Boyd at this stage in his career

wait, did I miss news of Bird and Staggs falling off the face of the earth or something?
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:51 am

Pieman wrote:

I would take literally anyone over Boyd.. but whether or not that actually happens, well I'll believe it when I see it.

As Surmo said, Kahu isn't taking a spot over Staggs and Bird. Bird will get injured again though.
    Dip

Post by Dip Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:31 am

Kahu would make an adequate 5/8 in my opinion. I think his ball skills are under-rated. I don't want Milford at fullback though.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:30 pm

surmo13 wrote:

wait, did I miss news of Bird and Staggs falling off the face of the earth or something?
    Yep - spot on that Kahu won't start at centre over either of them.

It's pretty widely reported that bird doesn't want to play centre. And considering his injury history - yeah - bird has fallen off the face of the earth.

It's also been floated recently that staggs might play 6.

Post by Guest Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:52 pm

So Kahu posted a youtube video seemingly confirming the contract situation, to quote - "so when i moved to the Cowboys i had 2 years left on my Brisbane contract, obviously 2019 & 2020, and the Cowboys only wanted me for 2019, so when we left the Broncos it was in my best interest, my whole family's best interest to keep that second-year deal, in case nothing popped up". Someone in an official capacity needs to explain how the fuck & why the fuck that's a thing that happened, shit makes no sense to me.

also Kahu shared info revealing the Cowboys pulling a Bird on us, Kahu was getting needled to play with an AC joint injury in a season that ended for the Cowboys 2 months ago, but got the surgery to fix it tagged with a 5 month recovery period last Wednesday... Is there anybody actually running this club at the moment or did a Mad Libs program go all Skynet on Broncos HQ in 2017 without anybody noticing?

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:12 pm