NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights

my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights - Page 19 Empty Re: 2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights

Post by my tv broke Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:45 pm

Bennett didn't want to leave. The board forced him out.
    Pieman
    Pieman

2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights - Page 19 Empty Re: 2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights

Post by Pieman Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:59 pm

haha yeah! he ended up getting sacked, after 1. he refused to resign 2. he colluded with another team
    He literally didnt want to leave brisbane and only did so when he was fired.

Post by Guest Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:13 pm

i don't see the current predicament as a coaching thing as much as a player thing, the problems that exist this year are all the same problems that existed last year under Bennett, if players stop dropping the ball cold for no reason at the worst possible moments, our fortunes are pretty much going the same way they were 12 months ago, and it's not on the coach to teach grown men how to catch a ball.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:14 pm

yeah, some of those jack bird and lodge drops have been just terrible.
    Honestly, if I was the coach, I would drop them to reserves for a week. That shit is just unacceptable I reckon.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:20 pm

It's been more than 12 months

2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights - Page 19 Tenor
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:32 pm

Dip wrote:And another thing while I'm on a 24 hour rant. I'm a bit sympathetic to Milford because he's being asked to be something that he isn't, because there's no other organiser in the halves, but when all is said and done, if you pay someone a mil a season or close to, their bad games have to be 7/10. If someone like Isaako or Sua or Joe O has a bad game, I can accept that from your lower wage players every now and then, but if you go for a contract and ask for big money, then you have the at least okay EVERY game. Your best doesn't have to be Ben Barba or Shaun Johnson great, but when was the last time someone like Slater, Smith, Cronk, JT, Inglis, Surgess had a genuinely bad game? If you're Milf, or TPJ, or Boyd, or Moses or Morgan, or Foran or whoever, don't ask for $800K+ if half a dozen times a year you are a liability to the team compared to picking whatever fringe first grader is trying to make that last bench spot.

Sorry Dippa, I don't often disagree with you but I do in this instance.

Everyone in any occupation strives to be paid as much as they can possibly negotiate and while NRL player's salaries are undoubtedly motivation to stay at a club or move to another, I could almost guarantee that these salaries have little to do with their motivation to play well.

If the club is stupid enough to overpay a player, good luck to said player.

Especially when you consider the ongoing attrition on their body and limited career span.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:58 pm

the more money someone gets, the more pressure there is to play to an elite level every week.
    Milf has elite patches of footy, but has not strung a brilliant game together besides GF, and they still lost.

e.g Cody Walker has been 10 times the player Milford has been over the last 3 years or so, and is getting paid a fraction of the price. I have no doubt tho that if Walker was on 800k plus, the pressure would mount and he would prob have a few quiet games or a few shockers like Milf does (more often than not). Most blokes just are not built for the week in week out pressure and scrutiny that elite money brings - especially if the make up of the team doesnt compliment the player's strengths
    Ice

Post by Ice Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:40 pm

surmo13 wrote:i don't see the current predicament as a coaching thing as much as a player thing, the problems that exist this year are all the same problems that existed last year under Bennett, if players stop dropping the ball cold for no reason at the worst possible moments, our fortunes are pretty much going the same way they were 12 months ago, and it's not on the coach to teach grown men how to catch a ball.

Exactly right, Bennett realised he didn't have the cattle and orchestrated his departure perfectly and now has orchestrated Inglis' who I now my view, though a great, was gonna hold the Bunnies back this year if he stuck around and Bennett was forced to play him.
    MilfordTheMagician
    MilfordTheMagician

Post by MilfordTheMagician Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:08 am

I don't buy into the argument we don't have the cattle. I've been saying for 3 years all we need is a half to lead us and we can make another GF. We have the best young forwards in the league by a country mile and some very talented backline players, all we need is that Cooper Cronk like player to take us to the next step. Unfortunately the club has (so far) failed to find that halfback. I am hoping SOS is that man so hopefully he gets a shot this year to prove himself because I've been over Nikorima for 3 years now.
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:24 pm

your pack is full of stud players obviously but why did mcguire leave ? was it cash ? as much as i dislike the guy i think you guys miss immensely. everything you want in a middle forward in terms of toughness, consistency and ability to play big minutes at a high level. perfect guy to have on the field with those young guys imo.

The bronco halves issue is probably never going away, i thought milf was much better last year then suggested by other neutrals. kodi just seems to hit and miss but they'll probably have a run of games soon where they run riot and everyone will do a 180 again

i think McCullough looks to have taken a step back and they would benefit from having a player spell him for 20-30 minutes and add a spark from the position. Darius looks pretty close to done too. i think those position are struggling more then the halves personally

i think they'll bounce back pretty quickly, given themselves a huge task for the top 4 tho and i'm not sure they'll ever be consistent enough to go on a huge win steak to end up in the top 4 by seasons end
    MilfordTheMagician
    MilfordTheMagician

Post by MilfordTheMagician Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:20 pm

SOS half, Nikorima bench to spell Macca. Easy.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:10 pm

Exactly Milf. It is at least worth trying.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:56 pm

leaguegod wrote:your pack is full of stud players obviously but why did mcguire leave ? was it cash ? as much as i dislike the guy i think you guys miss immensely. everything you want in a middle forward in terms of toughness, consistency and ability to play big minutes at a high level. perfect guy to have on the field with those young guys imo.

The bronco halves issue is probably never going away, i thought milf was much better last year then suggested by other neutrals. kodi just seems to hit and miss but they'll probably have a run of games soon where they run riot and everyone will do a 180 again

i think McCullough looks to have taken a step back and they would benefit from having a player spell him for 20-30 minutes and add a spark from the position. Darius looks pretty close to done too. i think those position are struggling more then the halves personally

i think they'll bounce back pretty quickly, given themselves a huge task for the top 4 tho and i'm not sure they'll ever be consistent enough to go on a huge win steak to end up in the top 4 by seasons end

Top 4!
    Finals would be a good outcome I think from here.

Totally agree about FAC and as I said a page or so back, his service out of dummy half at the moment is really stifling our momentum.
    I was even watching bloody Mitch Rein on the weekend and thinking our halves would have a field day if we were getting that sort of service, particularly with our go forward.

As for Niko, I've said it before and I'll say it again, if he consistently played hooker he could really model his game on Cook as they have very similar attributes and that explosive pace off the mark.
    I'd definitely be keen to see that change.

Personally I wasn't disappointed we lost McGuire and nothing I have seen from the Broncos or the Cows this season thus far makes me question that at this stage.
    Mr Fernando
    Mr Fernando

Post by Mr Fernando Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:23 pm

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

I was even watching bloody Mitch Rein on the weekend and thinking our halves would have a field day if we were getting that sort of service, particularly with our go forward.

i've been watching rein closely (mainly because he's a popular fantasy trade-in) and have been thinking the same
    this is the same guy that used to send dragons fans apoplectic so yeah mccullough is going really, really bad
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:33 am

Pieman wrote:haha yeah! he ended up getting sacked, after 1. he refused to resign 2. he colluded with another team
    He literally didnt want to leave brisbane and only did so when he was fired.

Yep. I'm not talking about the crap that played out at the end of the season. All that happened after Paul White and the board told him he wasn't getting the extension he wanted earlier in the year. Bennett never wanted to leave, until he had no say in the matter. And when he didn't get his way, he made himself a pain in their backside.
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:41 am

MilfordTheMagician wrote:SOS half, Nikorima bench to spell Macca. Easy.

With the current side, that is definitely the solution.

I don't know if O'Sullivan is actually playing well though in lower grades. I've heard he isn't exactly banging down the door.

Our halves wouldn't be under anywhere near as much pressure as they are, if we had a hooker that provided decent service.

MilfordTheMagician
    MilfordTheMagician

Post by MilfordTheMagician Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:12 pm

my tv broke wrote:

With the current side, that is definitely the solution.

I don't know if O'Sullivan is actually playing well though in lower grades. I've heard he isn't exactly banging down the door.

Our halves wouldn't be under anywhere near as much pressure as they are, if we had a hooker that provided decent service.

Whilst this is true our halves have been our biggest problem since the GF, and Macca hasn't been out of form for 3-4 seasons.
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:01 pm

MilfordTheMagician wrote:SOS half, Nikorima bench to spell Macca. Easy.

seems worth trying, how is SOS going in ressies ?

niko and connor watson are pretty similar players in this regard imo (niko being better obviously). they both do a great job as a number 14, so good that you think you need to find a role for them starting but they both just be suited best to being on the bench
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:14 pm

MilfordTheMagician wrote:

Whilst this is true our halves have been our biggest problem since the GF, and Macca hasn't been out of form for 3-4 seasons.

His service out of DH is atrocious and always has been. A mate and I joke about how we used to talk about it back in 2010 when we worked together, and nothing has changed.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:28 pm

He just offers nothing in attack besides a bit of organisation. He isnt a threat to run, and no one buys his dummys any more. They badly need an attacking spark from the bench and that attacking spark is ready made in Nikorima.

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:03 am