NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights

2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights - Page 16 Empty Re: 2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights

Post by Guest Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:33 pm

Dip wrote:And now due to carry over TPJ gets 2 weeks with an early plea, or 3 if he fights and loses. Personally think it's a bit stiff. A grade 1 would have been more appropriate IMO. I don't know what that would have got. I don't mind if it's a grade 2 as long as they're consistent all season. It was a cheap shot.

unpopular opinion: there was nothing wrong with the shot, he's being taken to task because it looked ugly, as it would when a paperweight runs the ball at the line trying to interest the attention of a brick shit-house and then turns his back on him, the time of contact from pass to hit was the same time or earlier than the shot he put on McGuire week 2 and that was no penalty and put on that weekends highlight reels.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights - Page 16 Empty Re: 2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights

Post by No Worries Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:50 pm

The coverage of the bruise on Cronks back didnt help either. But I'd argue it wasnt from that shot
    Dip

Post by Dip Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:53 pm

I thought the McGuire one was okay, but that was because everyone was expecting him to catch it but instead he batted it on in a very un-McGuire play. I thought Cronk's was a bit different because it was slightly longer. Still, when it happened I thought it'd be a penalty and one of those things you get a warning letter or fine for. 2 weeks seems a bit much for me given the bloke in QCup king hit a guy, knocked him out and only got 3 weeks for it last weekend.

Again, I don't mind as long as the NRL is consistent this year, as Milf cops a few late hits himself.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:58 pm

Dip wrote:And now due to carry over TPJ gets 2 weeks with an early plea, or 3 if he fights and loses. Personally think it's a bit stiff. A grade 1 would have been more appropriate IMO. I don't know what that would have got. I don't mind if it's a grade 2 as long as they're consistent all season. It was a cheap shot.

Disagree about the cheap shot.
    It was a fraction late but looked way worse because he is a big unit - just my opinion but a cheap shot for mine is a grubby act with intent to hurt someone and I personally don't think that was the case here.

Not something you want to turn a blind eye to but penalty sufficient in my books.

It get's completely blown out of proportion due to a certain commentator who had neck issues blowing up every time it happens.
    Thankfully I was watching on Fox last night but I imagine he was blowing up deluxe.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:13 pm

It was a cheap shot every day of the week.

Hit him in the back well after he passed it. There is no other thing it can be. Clear cheap shot and that shit needs to fuck off out of the game.

Anyone saying it was fine is a fucking idiot.

Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:35 pm

Pieman wrote:It was a cheap shot every day of the week.

Hit him in the back well after he passed it. There is no other thing it can be. Clear cheap shot and that shit needs to fuck off out of the game.

Anyone saying it was fine is a fucking idiot.

Not fine but also not a cheap shot - just mistiming of pressure on protected species.

Unsurprising though for you to lap up what your idol spouts without any logical thought process.

AFL players cop 100 of these per game and you don't hear half the sooking of the NRL commentators.
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:52 pm

Dip wrote:Was probably positioning himself for the intercept. I get it. You did it on Easter Monday against the Doggies a decade ago and it made every NRL promotional and highlight video for 5 years, but for Christ sake make the tackle. You've got a prop running at you, they're 50% chance of not even looking left and right for support, and even if they do, probably miss the support player anyway.

yep he has been getting shown up doing that type of stuff for a while now, there was one last week too

the effort of a few players in the teddy try is pretty poor when you look at it from behind too.

i think its become fashionable to bag milf and niko (and i personally don''t rate niko that highly, i think milf in particular is very harshly criticized ) but efforts of others across the park last night was pretty alarming, missing mcguire a fair bit, their young players are hit and miss and boyd clearly isn't the same player he was 18 months ago.

in saying that, i think its pretty easy to bag the team that got smashed but the rooster would have been absolutely any team by atleast 3 tries last night, very impressive, their 1,6,7 is perfectly balance and very hard to stop

i'm not sure whether i think hits like TPJ deserve 2 weeks but i defs think he had time to pull out once cronk passed it. at the very least guilty of being pretty stupid to go on with it.

Post by Guest Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:27 pm

thats the play in full speed, apologies for not figuring how to make the formatting not suck, i can see an argument for a low-grade shoulder charge, would need other angles to establish that, but that's about it, to echo an observation from some-one on another platform, the time from pass to hit is somewhere between 0.2-0.3 seconds, the average visual reaction time is around 0.25 seconds, so you're talking about, at best, giving him literal milliseconds to avoid contact.

if the cheap shot shit is about getting Cronk in the back, well then the halves have a license to run backwards and receive penalties, because Pangai didn't just come out of no-where and blind-side him, Cronk ran the ball at the line that Pangai was in, then forgot one of the basic rules taught in juniors (ie. don't turn your back on the defense) and got whacked for his mistake.
    Dip

Post by Dip Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:31 pm

I'd fight that, or at least go for a downgrade. Not much difference between 2 & 3 weeks at this stage of the season.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:49 pm

Dip wrote:I'd fight that, or at least go for a downgrade. Not much difference between 2 & 3 weeks at this stage of the season.

Flip side - early in the season take the 2 to use of the carry in so you have a clean slate for later
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:51 pm

surmo13 wrote:

thats the play in full speed, apologies for not figuring how to make the formatting not suck, i can see an argument for a low-grade shoulder charge, would need other angles to establish that, but that's about it, to echo an observation from some-one on another platform, the time from pass to hit is somewhere between 0.2-0.3 seconds, the average visual reaction time is around 0.25 seconds, so you're talking about, at best, giving him literal milliseconds to avoid contact.

if the cheap shot shit is about getting Cronk in the back, well then the halves have a license to run backwards and receive penalties, because Pangai didn't just come out of no-where and blind-side him, Cronk ran the ball at the line that Pangai was in, then forgot one of the basic rules taught in juniors (ie. don't turn your back on the defense) and got whacked for his mistake.
    The bolded is such a bullshit excuse, sport isn't about average reaction times. I'd fight for a downgrade if I was the Broncos but give it up with the BS justification.
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:54 pm

In case the video isn't enough how about some more.
    A 90-mph fastball can reach home plate in 400 milliseconds -- or four-tenths of a second. But a batter has just a quarter-second to identify the pitch, decide whether to swing, and start the process. "Once the pitch is in flight, it's the snap of your fingers," Zimmer-man says. What happens next is "pretty much just instinct." A batter takes 100 milliseconds to see the 3-in. ball, and 75 milliseconds to identify spin, speed and pitch location. The batter has another 50 milliseconds to decide whether to swing, and where, before he must act. It can take nearly 25 milliseconds for the brain's signals to pulse through the hitter's body and start his legs moving. The swing itself takes 150 milliseconds.

Text taken from here
    https://www.popularmechanics.com/adventure/sports/a4569/4216783/

Post by Guest Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:03 pm

Krump wrote:In case the video isn't enough how about some more.
    A 90-mph fastball can reach home plate in 400 milliseconds -- or four-tenths of a second. But a batter has just a quarter-second to identify the pitch, decide whether to swing, and start the process. "Once the pitch is in flight, it's the snap of your fingers," Zimmer-man says. What happens next is "pretty much just instinct." A batter takes 100 milliseconds to see the 3-in. ball, and 75 milliseconds to identify spin, speed and pitch location. The batter has another 50 milliseconds to decide whether to swing, and where, before he must act. It can take nearly 25 milliseconds for the brain's signals to pulse through the hitter's body and start his legs moving. The swing itself takes 150 milliseconds.

Text taken from here
    https://www.popularmechanics.com/adventure/sports/a4569/4216783/

thankyou for proving my point, i think? unless i'm misinterpreting it... because that's telling me it takes over 0.2 seconds for a baseball player to process the information at hand and swing, keeping in mind you're talking about athletes who have specifically trained their reaction time for their entire lives because they are fully dependant on that reaction time to earn their living vs athletes who have trained to catch a ball, run hard and tackle people. Further than that, your comparing swinging a baseball bat with completely halting the momentum of a 100kg+ man running at pace.

Last edited by surmo13 on Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:15 pm

Soooooo, are the Jimmy the Junkie photos legit?
    MilfordTheMagician
    MilfordTheMagician

Post by MilfordTheMagician Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:37 pm

Not developing another hooker is starting to cost us. The Storm have been grooming Smith the past couple of seasons (even if's been at lock for some parts) to take over Cam and by the time the latter retires Brandon will be 1000% ready to take over the reigns.

We have Macca who is clearly showing signs of slowing down and we have no plan B besides Turpin who hasn't shown anything yet.
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:58 pm

MilfordTheMagician wrote:We have Macca who is clearly showing signs of slowing down and we have no plan B besides Turpin who hasn't shown anything yet.

We can't even pick Turpin if we wanted to. He is only on a development contract (at the moment), so Macca would have to be injured for us to be allowed to pick Turpin in the starting side.

Turpin seems to struggle to play big minutes for redcliffe anyway.

Post by Guest Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:07 pm

it still baffles me that Matt Parcell had to go over to England to find a job, off contract after this year, surely if Boyd does the right thing and gives the game away, we can dangle some carrots to bring him home.
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:19 pm

@surmo13 a millisecond is 0.001 of a second that’s to identify speed pitch and spin not the bloke letting go of the ball which is all TPJ had to do
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:22 pm

surmo13 wrote:it still baffles me that Matt Parcell had to go over to England to find a job, off contract after this year, surely if Boyd does the right thing and gives the game away, we can dangle some carrots to bring him home.
    Even Rein and Seggy offer more. It’s strange the hookers that are running around without first grade jobs

Post by Guest Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:38 pm

Krump wrote:@surmo13 a millisecond is 0.001 of a second that’s to identify speed pitch and spin not the bloke letting go of the ball which is all TPJ had to do

which makes 100 milliseconds 0.1 of a second does it not? then you can calculate from there... But again, your talking about giving some-one specifically trained in improving their reaction time 4 tenths of a second to swing a bat vs giving a primarily strength-and/or-ball-skills-trained rugby league player running at pace 3 tenths of a seconds to evaporate his hulking frame into thin air.

and just to cite the source on the reaction time things: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4456887/

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:34 am