NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

    2018 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 69

    Share
    avatar
    Pookus McFly

    Posts : 2036
    Reputation : 970
    Join date : 2016-01-18

    Re: 2018 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 69

    Post by Pookus McFly on Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:38 pm

    @No Worries wrote:Congratulations to this year's 2018 NRLFF Ladder Predictor Champion @Pookus McFly

    https://www.nrlfantasyfanatics.com/t614p40-2018-ladder-predictor#244297

    Thanks, after another lacklustre year in fantasy, I have decided I am going to leave this site and instead join NRL Ladder Predictor Fanatics .com where I can finally find some self respect.


    Round 25 saw me miss out on a near certain 1000 for the second week in a row due to an injury in the last game, finding 993 with a concussed Turbo ruining it all. Crazy year for fantasy, could easily have found four 1000 point games during the season and yet still ended up with a rank of 1173, just shy of acceptable. Disappointed but as keen as ever to go again in 2019.


    Big thanks to everyone on the forum for allowing me to waste my life. You are nothing but a big pack of enablers and my missus hates you all. But I will always love you, Fanatics. Let's do it all again soon x
    avatar
    SI
    Moderator

    Posts : 12579
    Reputation : 2934
    Join date : 2015-08-03

    Re: 2018 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 69

    Post by SI on Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:13 pm

    @Pookus McFly wrote:
    @No Worries wrote:Congratulations to this year's 2018 NRLFF Ladder Predictor Champion @Pookus McFly

    https://www.nrlfantasyfanatics.com/t614p40-2018-ladder-predictor#244297

    Thanks, after another lacklustre year in fantasy, I have decided I am going to leave this site and instead join NRL Ladder Predictor Fanatics .com where I can finally find some self respect.


    Round 25 saw me miss out on a near certain 1000 for the second week in a row due to an injury in the last game, finding 993 with a concussed Turbo ruining it all. Crazy year for fantasy, could easily have found four 1000 point games during the season and yet still ended up with a rank of 1173, just shy of acceptable. Disappointed but as keen as ever to go again in 2019.


    Big thanks to everyone on the forum for allowing me to waste my life. You are nothing but a big pack of enablers and my missus hates you all. But I will always love you, Fanatics. Let's do it all again soon x

    You know the rule Pookus, pics of ya Missus!
    avatar
    SI
    Moderator

    Posts : 12579
    Reputation : 2934
    Join date : 2015-08-03

    Re: 2018 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 69

    Post by SI on Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:32 pm

    Who is Pesky Pussies for the season results please? Winner of L4 GF but must have changed team name through the season?
    avatar
    Pookus McFly

    Posts : 2036
    Reputation : 970
    Join date : 2016-01-18

    Re: 2018 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 69

    Post by Pookus McFly on Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:55 pm

    @SI wrote:

    You know the rule Pookus, pics of ya Missus!

    Here she is SI, just for you.
    Quite a stunner I think you will agree

    Pookus' Missus:
    avatar
    Foina

    Posts : 4
    Reputation : 16
    Join date : 2018-03-12
    Location : 73 cats and counting...

    Re: 2018 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 69

    Post by Foina on Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:58 pm

    Hey everyone!

    We're so pleased to see you all enjoyed another MASSIVE season of NRL Rugby League Fantasy Footy for 2018, or NRLRLFFF2018 for short!  Very Happy

    We were so glad that it was finally over, that no one even bothered to stick around and finalise the updates! LOL!

    I'm actually at home right now, taking precious time away from grooming my new batch of kittens, to give all you loyal and obedient fans a final send off from the team.

    We, as a collective here at the office, have decided to keep the prizemoney as a reward for our efforts. It is assumed that the NRL clubs will still honour their prizes, as we have no control over those. Sucks to be a Tigers fan though! :p And what about the Broncos and Storm? Cheap asses. I know Queensland and Victoria are poor, but come on. Maybe the NSW clubs can bail them out again?

    But anyway, I digress. Whatever money we have leftover, we may look to hire a programmer for the afternoon to update the game for next year. So look forward to that!

    We noticed some people were not happy with the new feature we implemented to give the 'tactically astute' players an edge. The feature we affectionately named the 'loopitydoophole' or 'doopityloophole' or 'loopityloophole' and even 'doopitydoophole' at times.

    We don't really understand the resistance to it, unless you were just too dense to understand how it worked, but that's not you guys, right? Wink

    Think of it this way - It's like you see a perfectly good hole under a fence, but you're still going to walk around and go through the gate? It just doesn't make any sense. It takes you longer, and you just end up looking stupid in the end.

    We will see if we can address the issue for next season though, maybe apply some sort of band-aid fix and additional feature(s) that we have never seen requested before, so it's guaranteed to be a surprise!

    Anyway fam, I think I hear some of my babies getting in the pantry again and God knows where else! LOL!

    Wishing you all Happy Fanatical Fantasies! See you all and more next year!


    - Fiphee


    P.S. I see you there SI hun Wink Razz  Embarassed
    avatar
    No Worries
    Moderator

    Posts : 5186
    Reputation : 2119
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    Re: 2018 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 69

    Post by No Worries on Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:04 pm

    What about the final fantasies ? Are you doing those this year Foina ?
    avatar
    WT2K

    Posts : 1470
    Reputation : 182
    Join date : 2018-03-25
    Location : Sydney

    Re: 2018 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 69

    Post by WT2K on Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:07 pm

    Just read that brimson played the last two rounds with a broken hand and dislocated shoulder.. Tough bugger!
    avatar
    Stuffness

    Posts : 195
    Reputation : 29
    Join date : 2017-07-20
    Age : 30
    Location : WA

    Re: 2018 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 69

    Post by Stuffness on Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:10 pm

    @White Lightning wrote:

    Congrats Stuffness well done.

    Cheers blokes and thanks for running it No Worries.
    avatar
    Stuffness

    Posts : 195
    Reputation : 29
    Join date : 2017-07-20
    Age : 30
    Location : WA

    Re: 2018 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 69

    Post by Stuffness on Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:12 pm

    @WT2K wrote:Just read that brimson played the last two rounds with a broken hand and dislocated shoulder.. Tough bugger!

    Yeah, saw that. Crazy for a team that had nothing left to play for.
    avatar
    zorasdomain

    Posts : 1820
    Reputation : 611
    Join date : 2016-04-16

    Re: 2018 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 69

    Post by zorasdomain on Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:11 pm

    @Verbal Kint wrote:Some of the spots where I could have saved some trades and leaned on my bench a bit....

    Murray IN round 3
    Murray OUT round 6
    Murray IN round 9
    Murray OUT round 15

    SJ IN round 5
    SJ OUT round 7
    SJ IN round 14

    Martin IN round 9
    Martin OUT round 15
    Martin IN round 17

    Cook OUT round 14
    Cook In round 15

    I ditched Jurbo in round 9 for Ma'u.....

    Lots of others....

    Edit, some better decisions:
    - holding Smith
    - ditching Brown as soon as he was injured
    - jumping off SST in round 2
    - getting on the Rein train early doors



    Your Cook move was interesting. It made me feel better knowing that at least someone else mustn't have many trades left Very Happy

    Here is my best and worst trades, if anyone is interested.

    Worst trades that I did make:
    Trading in McCullough after his string of 60s, only for him to score a 30 then a 20 and then get a “6 week” injury. I sold him for a $100k loss and he was back after a week off.
    Sorensen was a bit of a waste
    Trading out Latrell to Koriosau for the first bye, then bringing in Aitken the following week. It was a good strategy in theory. Aitken had a higher average than Latrell and would play an extra game. We all know how that turned out Sad . Koroisau was going to be my 18th man for the run home but I only got to use him for 1 ¼ games before he broke.
    Getting Brock Lamb

    Worst trades that I didn't make:
    I guess missing Maloney was bad but I never needed any extra cash and I was still dirty at that punk for how shit he was for the Sharks in 2017.
    Not getting McInnes because I didn’t think I needed the 4th best hooker. I didn’t realise Farah was going to stop being the 3rd best hooker.
    Obviously DCE and Turbo, but hindsight etc

    Best trades:
    Jumping on the Rein train
    Getting Marsters early
    Getting Matterson early who was good while he was alive
    Switching out SST to Arrow just before lockout in Week 1.
    avatar
    zorasdomain

    Posts : 1820
    Reputation : 611
    Join date : 2016-04-16

    Re: 2018 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 69

    Post by zorasdomain on Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:31 pm

    @Rippin and Tearin wrote:

    Im a bit mixed on this as a strategy and would love to discuss it at some point prior to next season.

    For example it seems you and I ran the same trade strategy - ie. all gone by end of 17. You got unlucky with injury. On the other hand, injury actually helped me, despite not having trades. For example this week I got Hiku's score, previously I got Mann's 50+ score too. All completely lucky but it goes to show the all in trading strategy can work. If you'd had my luck for example you may have won!

    That being said, clearly having trades up your sleeve is beneficial, but it can't be at the cost of quickly putting your team together to maximise weekly points as early as possible.

    I would argue that the winner, while obviously knowing what he or she was doing, clearly had their luck early in that most of the trades (if not all) they made early must have come off. Without a whole heap of luck early there is no way, IMO, they would have been able to stick close enough to the leaders to come through at the end.

    In summation, some people clearly know what they are doing in this comp, but IMO the difference separating the top 10 is most likely 95% luck once you take into account the fact that everyone knows what they are doing. Im therefore not convinced that one trading strategy is better than another given that luck is required for each.

    Thoughts?

    Here are my thoughts on this.

    I 100% got to where I did by trading hard early. I also made some shocking trades early on so many of my early trades didn't really work out. I had at least 4 occasions where I had a player for 1-2 weeks before they got injured (McCullough, Sorensen, Lamb and Koroisau off the top of my head).

    I went hard for as much cash as I could get as soon as I could get it, which meant I was able to make a team of pretty much all of the highest averaging players, with the highest team value out of everyone. Which should in theory be a good strategy.
    My weekly rank for every round from round 7 to round 18 (excluding the bye weeks) was <700 in all but 2 weeks. My team was good and super consistent for a really long time which allowed me to get to the top and stay there. What I didn't take into account though was that my team would lose the plot entirely, and in the last 4 weeks my weekly rank was between 5400 and 12,200. I'm still not sure why it all went so wrong.

    Anyway, it all went very wrong for me, but I still stand by this strategy and would do it again.
    avatar
    Rippin and Tearin

    Posts : 3126
    Reputation : 597
    Join date : 2016-03-09

    Re: 2018 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 69

    Post by Rippin and Tearin on Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:57 pm

    @zorasdomain wrote:
    Here are my thoughts on this.

    I 100% got to where I did by trading hard early. I also made some shocking trades early on so many of my early trades didn't really work out. I had at least 4 occasions where I had a player for 1-2 weeks before they got injured (McCullough, Sorensen, Lamb and Koroisau off the top of my head).

    I went hard for as much cash as I could get as soon as I could get it, which meant I was able to make a team of pretty much all of the highest averaging players, with the highest team value out of everyone. Which should in theory be a good strategy.
    My weekly rank for every round from round 7 to round 18 (excluding the bye weeks) was <700 in all but 2 weeks. My team was good and super consistent for a really long time which allowed me to get to the top and stay there. What I didn't take into account though was that my team would lose the plot entirely, and in the last 4 weeks my weekly rank was between 5400 and 12,200. I'm still not sure why it all went so wrong.

    Anyway, it all went very wrong for me, but I still stand by this strategy and would do it again.

    Mate I 100% back that strategy too. Its the one I use but you just pulled it off way better than me.

    At the end of the day we put our game in the hands of 17 guys running round in real life. Sometimes those fullahs go well sometimes they flop. sadly you just got a few that flopped late in the piece while others started to boom.

    There's always next year mate!

    Of interest I watched the team that won over in the VSDT comp closely. Like you, that team traded hard early and was leading for nearly the whole competition. He had a 260 point lead over 2nd going into the last round and came within a captain choice of getting overtaken by a team that still had at least 2 trades left for the last round. He had just enough luck to hold on.

    Anyway mate, will catch you next year (unless you want to join our NFL comp:) in which case Ill see you tomorrow!


    avatar
    code delta

    Posts : 1853
    Reputation : 757
    Join date : 2016-05-05

    Re: 2018 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 69

    Post by code delta on Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:25 pm

    @B/L wrote:I was thinking we could put something in front of our team names next season like rngd do to show we are affiliated to the forum.

    Good way to show off and maybe bring in more people to the forum.

    Don't understand the 2 thumbs down here?

    Something like FFs code delta.
    Shortened For Fucks sake code delta.
    avatar
    Pain

    Posts : 2557
    Reputation : 663
    Join date : 2015-07-30

    Re: 2018 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 69

    Post by Pain on Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:27 pm

    @code delta wrote:

    Don't understand the 2 thumbs down here?

    Something like FFs code delta.
    Shortened For Fucks sake code delta.

    I like idea
    avatar
    SI
    Moderator

    Posts : 12579
    Reputation : 2934
    Join date : 2015-08-03

    Re: 2018 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 69

    Post by SI on Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:44 pm

    @No Worries wrote:Congratulations to @Stuffness taking out the 2018 NRLFF Eliminator

    https://www.nrlfantasyfanatics.com/t720p100-2018-nrl-ff-eliminator#244285

    Cheers for doing the Eliminator mate.
    avatar
    SI
    Moderator

    Posts : 12579
    Reputation : 2934
    Join date : 2015-08-03

    Re: 2018 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 69

    Post by SI on Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:46 pm

    @Pookus McFly wrote:
    @SI wrote:

    You know the rule Pookus, pics of ya Missus!

    Here she is SI, just for you.
    Quite a stunner I think you will agree

    Pookus' Missus:

    I don't want to cause any alarm, but She looks ridiculously similar to my Missus.
    avatar
    SI
    Moderator

    Posts : 12579
    Reputation : 2934
    Join date : 2015-08-03

    Re: 2018 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 69

    Post by SI on Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:49 pm

    @Foina wrote:Hey everyone!

    We're so pleased to see you all enjoyed another MASSIVE season of NRL Rugby League Fantasy Footy for 2018, or NRLRLFFF2018 for short!  Very Happy

    We were so glad that it was finally over, that no one even bothered to stick around and finalise the updates! LOL!

    I'm actually at home right now, taking precious time away from grooming my new batch of kittens, to give all you loyal and obedient fans a final send off from the team.

    We, as a collective here at the office, have decided to keep the prizemoney as a reward for our efforts. It is assumed that the NRL clubs will still honour their prizes, as we have no control over those. Sucks to be a Tigers fan though! :p And what about the Broncos and Storm? Cheap asses. I know Queensland and Victoria are poor, but come on. Maybe the NSW clubs can bail them out again?

    But anyway, I digress. Whatever money we have leftover, we may look to hire a programmer for the afternoon to update the game for next year. So look forward to that!

    We noticed some people were not happy with the new feature we implemented to give the 'tactically astute' players an edge. The feature we affectionately named the 'loopitydoophole' or 'doopityloophole' or 'loopityloophole' and even 'doopitydoophole' at times.

    We don't really understand the resistance to it, unless you were just too dense to understand how it worked, but that's not you guys, right? Wink

    Think of it this way - It's like you see a perfectly good hole under a fence, but you're still going to walk around and go through the gate? It just doesn't make any sense. It takes you longer, and you just end up looking stupid in the end.

    We will see if we can address the issue for next season though, maybe apply some sort of band-aid fix and additional feature(s) that we have never seen requested before, so it's guaranteed to be a surprise!

    Anyway fam, I think I hear some of my babies getting in the pantry again and God knows where else! LOL!

    Wishing you all Happy Fanatical Fantasies! See you all and more next year!


    - Fiphee


    P.S. I see you there SI hun Wink Razz  Embarassed

    In Foina we trust Love
    avatar
    Pain

    Posts : 2557
    Reputation : 663
    Join date : 2015-07-30

    Re: 2018 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 69

    Post by Pain on Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:51 pm

    @SI wrote:

    I don't want to cause any alarm, but She looks ridiculously similar to my Missus.

    You know the rules mate
    avatar
    Liverpool_Bulldog

    Posts : 5092
    Reputation : 601
    Join date : 2016-02-14
    Location : UK

    Re: 2018 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 69

    Post by Liverpool_Bulldog on Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:54 pm

    The updates are in!!

    I finished 109. So bittersweet
    avatar
    Mighty Fishes
    Moderator

    Posts : 5621
    Reputation : 1718
    Join date : 2015-08-01
    Age : 29

    Re: 2018 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 69

    Post by Mighty Fishes on Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:55 pm

    @Random wrote:I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone that contributes to these forums. Even if it is just the occasional post checking in on everyone, or asking about their team. That is what brings us all here, and this year in particular there has been some truly amazing guys joining the forums like WT2K, MattNZ (Who I think we all scared off), and StormTrooper to name a few.

    We have had guys step up this season and do so much work. No Worries & Welshy were amazing with all the competitions they have run, and effort that they have put in. My Tv Broke built an entire website because FanHub couldn't get it together, and his website still had so much more functionality than theirs. Milchcow as always providing the stat sheets that we spend hours upon hours searching through at the start of the season and BEs readily available. Pacey for running the late-mail team lists thread. Liverpool_Bulldogs for stepping up with the banners. There is so many other people that devote a lot of time to this place that I could literally go on all day thanking people for the input they have, or the personality they bring to the forum.

    During the off season it does slow down around here, and I expect the same, but as others have mentioned the NFL Fantasy season is just kicking off, and so much other stuff happening. Which is awesome to see more and more people becoming involved in that side of things. Anyway, just from me personally I wanted to thank everyone that gets involved in the year long slog that is Fantasy Football, even if you are as bad at it as I am. (Or worse if you are Mighty Fishes).

    Ya big bully..

      Current date/time is Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:39 pm