NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

Finals chat

Honeysett
    Honeysett

Finals chat - Page 15 Empty Re: Finals chat

Post by Honeysett Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:11 pm

What could he have done is a horrible defence. It's his fault he got himself into that position in the first place, the onious is on the tackler to get it right. If he gets off it'll be a gee up to give him a fairytale send off.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:13 pm

What I'd love to happen is Cronk is ruled out, the game is tied at 18 all and in the final minute of play Stone Cold Steve Austin's music hits and out comes Mitchell Pearce swearing his way down the tunnel, drops Smith and then slots a field goal to win the game for the Roosters in one of the greatest comebacks of all time.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:32 pm

Mitchell Pearce:

Why he didn't join the dragons:
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:23 pm

Honeysett wrote:What I'd love to happen is Cronk is ruled out, the game is tied at 18 all and in the final minute of play Stone Cold Steve Austin's music hits and out comes Mitchell Pearce swearing his way down the tunnel, drops Smith and then slots a field goal to win the game for the Roosters in one of the greatest comebacks of all time.

If there is no stone cold stunner or no cans of steveweiser involved I dont want a bar of it
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:28 pm

leaguegod wrote:souths attack looked lost last 2 weeks, as soon as the line speed increased as it does it in the finals, their attacking players had nothing

i honestly feel roosters V storm is better then one of those teams V's either cronulla or souths tbh, i think the contest will actually be well worth watching despite the way they play their game. i do agree with surmon re the media fucking everything up Re refs

Re slater, i honestly hope he gets off, i feel like the narrative here would be so different if it was james tedesco charged and not billy. i've never bought into the 'not his go" rubbish about him in the past, he has been a dirty player but i can't fathom how jake friend spear tackling someone is worth less points then a fullback making a reaction of putting his body on the line to save a try and i am sure i have seen several other situations like that this year go un punished.

i know the rule will be hard to beat but i do actually hope the 3 ex-player judiciary panel just throws that out the window because a guy missing the grand final over that is not a positive no matter how many people dislike the guy.

The shoulder charge was banned when sam kasiano made a diving charge to win a game for samoa, no penalty, fans loved it, everyone shared it, no one complained, it was worse then billy's but we hate this offender more so lets bring the rules back into it now
    Im pretty sure it was still spoken about - but that just highlights how its never ruled on when its a last ditch effort to save a try.
    Totally disagree - if he breaks a rule he should be rubbed out. IF they ignore it and go "oh well its a gf he cant miss that" then it goes to show what a joke the NRL actually is and how much they will bend to the media to keep them happy. As if channel 9 arent calling greenburg and going "we have our dream gf, if this bloke doesnt play there will be repercussions on the next tv deal"

Also - that souths v melbourne a few weeks ago was just about the best game I have ever seen......
    Dip

Post by Dip Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:29 pm

And then the Cocks be stripped of the premiership for salary cap breaches and playing an unregistered player. That'd be perfect actually.
    Pain
    Pain

NFL Dynasty Champion : 2019
    NFL Fantasy L2 Champion : 2019

Post by Pain Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:57 pm

Dip wrote:And then the Cocks be stripped of the premiership for salary cap breaches and playing an unregistered player. That'd be perfect actually.

Has the unregistered player issue hit the news already? I thought they'd keep it quiet until after the GF?
    Dip

Post by Dip Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:13 pm

Pain wrote:

Has the unregistered player issue hit the news already?  I thought they'd keep it quiet until after the GF?

Whoops I meant to quote Honeysett's Mitchell Pearce scenario. Do you know something we don't Pain?

Post by Guest Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:21 am

Lol Ash Klein the ref got the grand final Rolling Eyes
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:18 pm

leaguegod wrote:souths attack looked lost last 2 weeks, as soon as the line speed increased as it does it in the finals, their attacking players had nothing

i honestly feel roosters V storm is better then one of those teams V's either cronulla or souths tbh, i think the contest will actually be well worth watching despite the way they play their game. i do agree with surmon re the media fucking everything up Re refs

Re slater, i honestly hope he gets off, i feel like the narrative here would be so different if it was james tedesco charged and not billy. i've never bought into the 'not his go" rubbish about him in the past, he has been a dirty player but i can't fathom how jake friend spear tackling someone is worth less points then a fullback making a reaction of putting his body on the line to save a try and i am sure i have seen several other situations like that this year go un punished.

i know the rule will be hard to beat but i do actually hope the 3 ex-player judiciary panel just throws that out the window because a guy missing the grand final over that is not a positive no matter how many people dislike the guy.

The shoulder charge was banned when sam kasiano made a diving charge to win a game for samoa, no penalty, fans loved it, everyone shared it, no one complained, it was worse then billy's but we hate this offender more so lets bring the rules back into it now

Reading back over the last few pages and as is usually the case I disagree with a lot of the comments regarding the GF opponents and the moronic statements about the Slater shoulder charge but as is also usually the case, feel LG is spot on the money here.

Melbourne have copped a bad rap in the past for being a 'boring team'.....mainly because they genuinely were.
    But the truth is that hasn't been the case now for a couple of years.
    Roosters a defensively sound team but again, given the salary sombrero they are working under, they also have a plethora of strike weapons.

Not my two most favoured teams but should still be a high quality GF and one that I'm looking forward to.

As for Slater, it is a deadset debacle that this knee jerk reaction towards something that was never a genuine issue anyway, has the potential to rule out one of the greats from a rightful GF appearance and his final ever game.

Will be a moot point because by the letter of the law he 'attempts to use his arms/hands' but it shouldn't even have the potential for the judiciary to fuck it up and make an incorrect decision tonight.

The NRL needs to understand that not allowing blokes to brace like this (and some of the others which are even softer) is actually putting the defensive player in danger.

I personally think the NRL is being highly inconsistent with ruling out the front on shoulder charges (in comparison to some of the other impacts in the sport that are deemed acceptable) but I can at least accept this isn't creating more risks for the players.....whereas not allowing them to brace during collisions is.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:51 pm

Not guilty. Colour me surprised

Post by Guest Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:54 pm

The argument portion of the judiciary live blog makes for some fascinating reading, especially tidbits of what goes into the preparations of an elite fullback, tonight I learned billy watches footage of all both of his upcoming opposing wingers tries to get a feel for how they challenge the fullback in try-scoring situations
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:03 pm

surmo13 wrote:The argument portion of the judiciary live blog makes for some fascinating reading, especially tidbits of what goes into the preparations of an elite fullback, tonight I learned billy watches footage of all both of his upcoming opposing wingers tries to get a feel for how they challenge the fullback in try-scoring situations
    see to me, that should work against him. If he knows that Feki steps back inside or whatever then he should have been in a position to properly tackle him. If he knew what was coming, why was he not ready to tackle him in a legal position?

(is that really a surprise to you? one of the FB's main jobs is to be the last line of defence. Wingers are the ones generally scoring the tries... pretty bread and butter stuff to assume that the FB does research on what the wingers tendencies are lol)

Its crazy - so basically, now shoulder charges are legal again. Anyone who gets done for one plays the billy slater one and gets off. Why make the rule if they arent going to enforce it?? Its not surprising in the slightest that he got off - not at all. you are telling me that if thats napa doing it to someone in the middle of the field, he gets off??

He was always going to get off it so that the NRL can get the highest ratings possible for the GF and send slater (and possibly smith) off as a winner
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:08 pm

OSM ... brace for a collision?

he created the "collision" by not putting himself in a legal tackling position. He sprinted over there and literally did not attempt to tackle him. If he is in a legal tackling position, it doesnt happen, end of story.

Anyway, hes off now - melbourne will win by 16
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:12 pm

Didnt the roosters women's team only win 1 game, yet made it to the gf??
    How in the blue hell does that happen

Post by Guest Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:17 pm

"I prepare pretty thoroughly in all of my games," says Slater. "I try and understand patterns in attack. I look for individuals and what foot they step off and what hand they carry the ball."

Slater claims he watched footage of every try scored by Sharks wingers Feki and Edrick Lee in the lead-up to game. He says Feki pinned his ears back and went for the corner in all eight tries.

"I knew that he likes to back himself and go for the corner post."

"At the time I realised that Sosaia was 10 metres away from the corner post, I felt that I was a little bit further away from the corner post than he was. I know I have to get there and my intention is to make a ball and all tackle to get my body between the ball and try line.

"When he plants that left foot his intention changes from going directly to the corner post to going directly at me. My shoulders and my feet are heading directly to that corner post. He changes and this puts me in a vulnerable position."

Slater stands up and tries to help the panel visualise what he is thinking.

"By him veering back towards me the contact has happened a metre or two metres before I anticipated.

"He's raised his right elbow so I've protected myself with my left side of the body but I've turned my head to avoid his elbow. If I'm not going 33kmh I'm going somewhere near it and I have two metres to make a decision."
    Showbags
    Showbags

Post by Showbags Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:18 pm

Well I guess none of us are surprised, they had to let him play....they had already engraved his name on the Clive Churchill medal! I mean they got stick for giving him the Origin player of the series despite playing 2 games on the team which lost the series, imagine the egg on their face when he gets awarded it if he hadn't of played!

ok rant done lol, in all honesty that sort of tackle should be celebrated not penalised, but that was a shoulder charge, any other player in the league would of been rubbed out of the match. NRL is a complete farce and it will be hard to get suspensions to stick for this tackle in the future. This decision has totally undermined the credibility of the sport.

But again, not a surprise to anyone, we all knew he was gonna play.
    Showbags
    Showbags

Post by Showbags Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:21 pm

I should note, I am a Manly and actually have a lot of respect for Slater ever since I saw how he handled the Wolfman injury, but this has blown all NRLs consistency and credibility out of the water for years to come. Any time a should charge is reviewed and a person is suspended, the question will be asked, "if it had of been slater..."

Post by Guest Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:26 pm

Pieman wrote:Didnt the roosters women's team only win 1 game, yet made it to the gf??
    How in the blue hell does that happen

Because the Broncos went 3-0 and everyone else went 1-2, Roosters got there because of PD... it's bullshit, but they can't call off an official grand final so it is what it is, it'll be a fucking tragedy if the Roosters steal it, the Broncos were the only team in the round robin to earn the right to be called champions.
    wolfking
    wolfking
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by wolfking Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:06 pm

How much is everyone putting on him for the medal?

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 pm