NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

Hook Hooked!

Mighty Fishes

Re: Hook Hooked!

Post by Mighty Fishes on Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:45 pm

Gus doesn't have to make good on his word about releasing young Cleary to play under his dad if he poaches his dad!
    Fortitude

Post by Fortitude on Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:03 am

Givin Gould’s a power hungry cock smoker, him and Bennett won’t work. Jason Taylor would be a good fit, given he has seemed happy taking a back seat role
    Pieman

Post by Pieman on Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:26 am

@Fortitude wrote:Givin Gould’s a power hungry cock smoker, him and Bennett won’t work. Jason Taylor would be a good fit, given he has seemed happy taking a back seat role

haha yeah, it might work.
    The biggest concern would be that most players seem to hate Taylor. Always seemed like a good assistant but as a HC - ends up rubbing everyone the wrong way and makes some shocking decisions
    No Worries

Post by No Worries on Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:42 am

Rumour that Cleary wil only go back to the Panthers if Gould goes.

Today's installment.

Pieman

Post by Pieman on Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:45 am

I still dont understand how the GM or what ever his title is - of a club can commentate NRL games. It just seems like such a massive conflict of interest to me

Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad on Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:17 am

@Pieman wrote:I still dont understand how the GM or what ever his title is - of a club can commentate NRL games. It just seems like such a massive conflict of interest to me

In what way?

It's not like he can influence any decisions in his capacity as commentator, other than to talk positively about his team.....but quite frankly for every Gould, there are a plethora of other genuinely biased commentators out there (e.g. coaches, players etc.) that provide great insight.

Gould has always been polarising but I think he is now verging on being universally disliked, which will thankfully spell the end of his commentary career.
    Pieman

Post by Pieman on Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:23 am

There arent any current GM's or Heads of footy of clubs commentating...
    I mean, he can flog his own sponsors a little more (he has literally blatantly done this), he can not mention other clubs sponsors, he has a personal interest in promoting the panthers, which he does fairly regularly.

Gould would be fine IMO if he just stopped repeating himself. Thats the thing that annoys me the most about him.

Ice

Post by Ice on Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:50 am

Seriously, people get so worked up over Gould and the refs. Just chill out, it no big deal.
    Pieman

Post by Pieman on Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:18 am

I also hate how much he bags the refs on tv
    Krump

Post by Krump on Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:22 am

@Ice wrote:Seriously, people get so worked up over Gould and the refs. Just chill out, it no big deal.
    Of course you'd have the same attitude if it was BA he was trying to poach?
    Pieman

Post by Pieman on Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:53 am

Really great interview from Hook last night on 360.
    A good insight from his side.

He did his fair share of Gus blaming though, but still, was pretty crazy to me he actually sat down and went pretty deep into it.

Gould has definitely come across as a dirtbag through this
    SI

Post by SI on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:13 pm

@Krump wrote:
    @Ice wrote:Seriously, people get so worked up over Gould and the refs. Just chill out, it no big deal.
    Of course you'd have the same attitude if it was B "he's just a good bloke and I want to play under him" A he was trying to poach?
    FTFY
    SI

Post by SI on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:15 pm

@Pieman wrote:Really great interview from Hook last night on 360.
    A good insight from his side.

He did his fair share of Gus blaming though, but still, was pretty crazy to me he actually sat down and went pretty deep into it.

Gould has definitely come across as a dirtbag through this
    Yeah, it was tremendous. To be that controlled 48 hours after everything, makes me want him at the Tigers now.

With Gus, all the "I didn't do anything, I didn't start anything" I actually believe him. With Cleary not clearying (in intended) the air at all suggests he has been driving it, not the other way around.

Ice

Post by Ice on Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:03 pm

The Panthers sacked a coach who couldn't lead a team to a GF win, plenty of players have come out and agreed with that assessment. I think the situation is surprising, but I can understand it. Something had to change before the end of the year if the Panthers are to be any hope this year, that is the cold hard reality of it. I'm not sure why the Panthers board making the call now is any worse than any other time to be honest. I've got no problem either with Hook coming out and defending himself. But. I do find it interesting that his word on it all seems to be gospel and Gould is the liar in everything.
    It's in Griffins interest to make excuses and play the blame game more than anyone else cause he is the one on the unemployement line.
    Pieman

Post by Pieman on Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:17 pm

@Ice wrote:The Panthers sacked a coach who couldn't lead a team to a GF win, plenty of players have come out and agreed with that assessment. I think the situation is surprising, but I can understand it. Something had to change before the end of the year if the Panthers are to be any hope this year, that is the cold hard reality of it. I'm not sure why the Panthers board making the call now is any worse than any other time to be honest. I've got no problem either with Hook coming out and defending himself. But. I do find it interesting that his word on it all seems to be gospel and Gould is the liar in everything.
    It's in Griffins interest to make excuses and play the blame game more than anyone else cause he is the one on the unemployement line.

Yeah exactly, he did a fair fucking share of blaming others for everything else, coming out now to protect his image because he clearly will want another coaching job.
    I think doing it so late in the season is a shocking time to do it. If there really was no player offside as Hook has said, sacking a well liked coach may really rattle the side. What makes them think that cameron ciraldo or gould himself can lead the side to the GF? I mean, Griffin got them to 6th 2 years in a row didnt he, and has them in equal 4th at the moment - its amazing considering the shocking run of injury they have had this year.

It really just seems to have come down to a clash in personality and because Gould holds the position of power, he fucked Griffin off because he didnt do what he was told 100% of the time.

Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad on Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:58 pm

@Ice wrote:The Panthers sacked a coach who couldn't lead a team to a GF win, plenty of players have come out and agreed with that assessment. I think the situation is surprising, but I can understand it. Something had to change before the end of the year if the Panthers are to be any hope this year, that is the cold hard reality of it. I'm not sure why the Panthers board making the call now is any worse than any other time to be honest. I've got no problem either with Hook coming out and defending himself. But. I do find it interesting that his word on it all seems to be gospel and Gould is the liar in everything.

It's not who the blokes are but the fact Gould's story makes no sense and appears to be far less believable.

Honestly, Roosters and Souths appear the current front-runners but I can't unequivocally rule out any of the teams that are in contention.
    Particularly this year when they have all effectively beaten each other but even based off outcomes from previous seasons (e.g. Cowboys last year).

To me it reeks of a personality fall out and that is fair enough but Gould should have let the season play out and then dealt with it.
    SI

Post by SI on Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:22 pm

The funny thing is, if any other team had sacked their coach 4 weeks from Finals and were in 5th, Gould would be saying something to the effect of:

"No, no, no. It doesn't matter what personalities are at play, you just don't do it. It doesn't make any sense Rabs. Why would you disrupt a team at the back end of the season who are in contention for a title? This is the position you want to be in, this is why the season is so hard. Why does it matter who doesn't like who, they've all got a job to do and at this point in time everyone looks like they are doing it right. That's why they (insert team name) are 5th. Rugby League is a professional sport and not everyone ever gets on with everyone else, in NRL circles or otherwise. What's even more extraordinary is the injuries they have sustained to key players. They've done it without 50% of their preferred spine for over half the season, along with the best up and coming halfback out for 5 weeks, along with the rigours of negotiating a very tough Origin campaign. It just doesn't make sense. If (insert coach) has lost the dressing room yet they have managed to achieve this, then I'm a Monkey's Uncle".
    Pieman

Post by Pieman on Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:36 am

hahah yeah exactly

Goulds interview last night came across as being just very bitter and was just defending himself, and rubbishing Hook a fair bit. He literally said that he feels hook embarrassed himself and if he had his time again he feels he wouldnt do the interview - then gould goes out and does the exact same thing hook did lol.

Fuck gould is unlikeable... hook is too but gus comes across as a bloke who would have a prostitute allowance in his salary. Looks like a creep, is obviously a control freak, clashes with strong personalities.

Its pretty entertaining though.

Last edited by Pieman on Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total

Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad on Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:44 am

@Pieman wrote:hahah yeah exactly

Goulds interview last night came across as being just very better and was just defending himself, and rubbishing Hook a fair bit. He literally said that he feels hook embarrassed himself and if he had his time again he feels he wouldnt do the interview - then gould goes out and does the exact same thing hook did lol.

Fuck gould is unlikeable... hook is too but gus comes across as a bloke who would have a prostitute allowance in his salary. Looks like a creep, is obviously a control freak, clashes with strong personalities.

Its pretty entertaining though.

Completely agree.

Chalk and cheese between the way in which both of those interviews came across and the only thing Gould achieved was to dupe me into watching 15 mins of the Footy Show for the first time since Fatty was punted.

leaguegod

Post by leaguegod on Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:34 am

agree that hooks interview came off much more believable, sincere and just genuinely made him look like a more likable guy. Gus wasn't very well recieved before taking this panther job but he would have even less fans since he started his 5 year plan some 7-8 years ago

in saying that, i don't think i'd want either guys in their position (or ex position in hooks case) at my club. i don't think Hook is solely gone just because of gus, there are clearly other players/coaches there that also wern't on board and from some of the talk after wards, it sounds much the same regarding his bronco days

Current date/time is Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:35 pm