NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

Star Wars thread

Milchy

Fantasy Fanatics VSDT Overall Group Winner : 2017

Star Wars thread

Post by Milchy on Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:37 pm

Discuss here.

Be careful with spoilers. If in doubt, chuck a spoiler tag on it.

I'm not seeing the movie until tomorrow night, so won't come back to this thread for a little while
    Revraiser

Re: Star Wars thread

Post by Revraiser on Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:29 am

Feel like its come outta nowhere... i havent even seen one trailer for it.
    No Worries

Post by No Worries on Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:09 am

WOW !!!!

Action from start to finish. Longest Star Wars movie ever, but it needed to be. Never felt drawn out.
    Benico Del Toro steals his scenes. 1 plot hole that gnaws at me. But overall great movie, must see it again. I'm sure I missed half of it there was so much going on.

My only disappointment was in order to appease the SAG & Academy's diversity stance Snoke is revealed as a Nabibian lesbian from Naboo and Rey's parents are Nerf herders descended from the Inuit.
    No Worries

Post by No Worries on Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:06 am

Wookie's gotta eat:
    Chewie roasts up a Porg for dinner
    Milchy

Fantasy Fanatics VSDT Overall Group Winner : 2017

Post by Milchy on Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:58 am

I found it a bit disappointing seeing the move last night

Last Jedi:

General Hux was turned into a bumbling cartoon villain, and the First Order in general were unintimidating in most battles. They couldn't even chase down 3 rebel ships with a bunch if star destroyers. What kinds of pissweak thing is a star destoyer in this movie.
    Its slow, has weak guns, and has a bunch of TIE fighters that it can't ever usefully deploy.
    and they have a "sub-cloaking" scan that is useful but they don't use until a stranger tells them to.

I liked the scenes on Canto Bight, but the timing within the movie was all wrong. There is a tense life and death chase going on through space and a few guys just nick off on a side mission for a bit.
    Why not send everyone else off on the side mission too and then they've escaped.

Also, why don't people regularly use ships in hyperspace as a weapon. Seems like it is actually quite powerful
    No Worries

Post by No Worries on Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:06 pm

Milchcow wrote:
    I found it a bit disappointing seeing the move last night

Last Jedi:

General Hux was turned into a bumbling cartoon villain, and the First Order in general were unintimidating in most battles. They couldn't even chase down 3 rebel ships with a bunch if star destroyers. What kinds of pissweak thing is a star destoyer in this movie.
    Its slow, has weak guns, and has a bunch of TIE fighters that it can't ever usefully deploy.
    and they have a "sub-cloaking" scan that is useful but they don't use until a stranger tells them to.

I liked the scenes on Canto Bight, but the timing within the movie was all wrong. There is a tense life and death chase going on through space and a few guys just nick off on a side mission for a bit.
    Why not send everyone else off on the side mission too and then they've escaped.

Also, why don't people regularly use ships in hyperspace as a weapon. Seems like it is actually quite powerful

Likes / dislikes:
    Disliked the whole Rose/Finn arc. Did like Canto Bight and the whole upper class profiting from war, reminded me of Great Gatsby. Dislike the Mary "Leia" Poppins scene, liked Kylo/Rey teaming up, thought Benico Del Toro stole his scenes, thought Snoke was a wasted character, Phasma another waste, I did read something funny where they said Rose's character development was so poor they didn't even bother giving her an interesting name. Didn't mind the dad jokes, it works in Marvel so Disney have introduced it to Star Wars. The 2 suns at the end mirroring the 2 suns on Tatooine as the first and last time you see Luke was great and even leaving the dice from the Falcon for Kylo just to play with his mind was good
    Pookus McFly

Post by Pookus McFly on Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:11 am

Spoiler tags??? Stop making up nonsense things, silly cow!

added by milchcow:

Late to the party, but i did not enjoy this movie. I feel like they took a great big dump on my childhood. They owed some level of fan service to the character of Luke Skywalker and he was more nerfed than a nerf herder. You expect me to believe that the one guy in the universe who saw that the baddest guy in the history of bad guys had some good in him suddenly loses hope for his nephew leaning towards the dark side and is thinking about murdering him in cold blood? They dont even understand the characters they inherrited. They make Luke an unlikable shmuck and then kill him off unceremoniously. Bet they bring back Billy Dee Williams just to kill him off again next movie.
    And poor old Yoda gets wheeled out yet again like a two dollar whore, let the poor old geezer rest in peace!
    A plot gripe, most of the movie was Finn and Rose having side adventures to shut down the tracker, but then the plan was always to abandon the ship anyway. So really they should have just taken a nap for 2 hours since nothing they went through had any real meaning or consequence save inspiring one little rebellious stablehand. To me that is just poor writing, as a characters antecedences should always push the plot consequences, rather than just being an inconsequential passenger to it.
    And im sick of this BB8 push to make him the coolest droid ever, piloting AT-STs is a little far even for the most hardcore droid fan. Things like this make me feel the new series is trying to compete with the originals (like in The Force Awakens when they actually visually show and compare the new weapon being several times larger than a death star and all but say "we WISH it was just a crummy old Death Star we're dealing with here!", just to give you a grip on the seriousness of the new threat).
    And who the hell was Snoke? Most powerful Jedi or Sith in existance and turns out to be a deus ex machina cliche bad guy?
    Ok, i need to take a break from all this butthurt fanboy rage *BREATHS INTO A PAPER BAG*

edit: Milchcow just put the text inside spoiler tags
    Pain

Post by Pain on Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:35 am

I like the movie. Seen it twice now.

Current date/time is Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:17 pm