NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

Cheating Pricks - Manly

bluetige
    bluetige

Cheating Pricks - Manly Empty Cheating Pricks - Manly

Post by bluetige Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:43 pm

We have probably heard the news already and not surprised by it, but Manly have been caught pants down cheating the Salary Cap. Many have expected this to have occured but I for one thought it would occur during Manlys domination from 2007 to 2011, not the last 5 years. Anyhow, they're in strife and won't get any sympathy from anyone except their own supporters.

What really needs to happen is for the Roosters to get caught out. It won't happen this year but everyone believes they have been cheating the cap for the past 2 decades. Maybe Uncle Nick gives the NRL salary cap auditors brown paper bags too.

The NRL today issued a breach notice to the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles after concluding its investigation into salary cap issues at the club.

The notice concerns preliminary findings of potential breaches of the salary cap over the last five years.

Should these preliminary findings be confirmed, proposed sanctions could include a significant fine on the club.

The club could also be required to adjust its salary cap for 2018 to recognise commitments made to players that are found to be in breach of the cap.

In addition to the matters relevant to the club, show cause notices have also been issued to two current club officials, requiring them to demonstrate why their registrations should not be cancelled.

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said the Manly club and both officials have already been provided with opportunities to assist the NRL during this investigation.

They will now be given a chance to respond formally to the preliminary findings before final determinations are made.

Mr Greenberg said that, in accordance with the NRL Rules, the parties have been given five days to respond to the breach notices but, given the seriousness of the allegations, the NRL would consider a request for an extension of time.

MORE details of Manly’s alleged salary cap breaches have come to light, with one senior rugby league journalist describing the case “as blatant as it gets”.
    The NRL issued breach notices to the northern Sydney club and two of its senior officials after an investigation uncovered potential breaches of the cap over a five-year period.

The Sea Eagles later issued a statement denying at least some of the findings, and will fight the breach notice.

But NRL 360 co-host Paul Kent revealed the worrying extent of the alleged rorting.

“The NRL have uncovered evidence, allegedly, whereby Manly have been signing players for example to $150,000 and they register the contract at the NRL for $100,000,” Kent said.

“Which is as blatant as it gets when it comes to cheating.

“It’s not a lot of money. It’s significantly less money than Parramatta and it’s spread over five years.”

Parramatta was last year fined $1 million and docked 12 competition points for breaches of the salary cap, which ultimately robbed them of playing finals in 2016.

But the NRL is unlikely to dock points from the Sea Eagles in 2018.

Senior News Corp reporter Phil Rothfield explained why the two cases are viewed differently by the NRL.

“It’s identical in that it involves third party payments, and payments that at this stage allege involved Manly club officials,” Rothfield told NRL 360.

“When I say it’s identical to Parramatta, monetary wise I think it’s about 25 per cent. We’re talking up to $400,000 worth of payments to players that shouldn’t have been made with the help of Manly officials.

“What will happen from here, if found guilty ... the Sea Eagles are going to have to add $400,000 to their salary cap next year, and what that means is the hopes of signing Trent Hodkinson or Todd Carney now looking very remote.”

Even if Todd Carney can earn a contract at Manly, there will be strict clauses placed in it to avoid the fallen star lapsing into old habits.

NRL 360 co-host Paul Kent revealed Sea Eagles coach Trent Barrett plans to place a booze ban on Carney if he makes the move south to rejoin the NRL.

Carney has a lengthy rap sheet, and most of his off-field incidents have involved alcohol.

“Trent Barrett told me that if (Carney) did come to Manly it would be on the condition that he did not drink,” Kent said.

“He got sacked from the NRL three years ago, went away to show everyone he could repent in England and didn’t learn his lesson there.

“The NRL never banned Todd Carney, what they said was when a contract comes to us we will consider it.

“Every NRL club said this is the problem if we sign Todd, he’ll put us on the back pages almost immediately, but at some point we’ll be asleep in our beds, our phone will ring and we know we’ll wake up in the morning with Todd on the front pages, and you don’t know when it’s coming.”

Pain
    Pain

NFL Dynasty Champion : 2019
    NFL Fantasy L2 Champion : 2019

Cheating Pricks - Manly Empty Re: Cheating Pricks - Manly

Post by Pain Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:18 pm

I wouldn't mind if they were stood down for a year.

Though you can see why they would try, everyone still talks up the Storm and how great they are but their whole structure was created by cheating.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:30 pm

Pain wrote:I wouldn't mind if they were stood down for a year.

Though you can see why they would try, everyone still talks up the Storm and how great they are but their whole structure was created by cheating.

This, to a degree. Monetary punishments are what they want. Hit them where it hurts. But it is easier and better to let them play the season but start them on minus 10 points or whatever.

Post by Guest Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:38 pm

I feel this will be one of those things where there wont be any punishment for the club in the 2018 season but they'll fine / sack the directors involved
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:09 am

absolutely

kent said this on 360 on monday

The bulldogs got caught in 2002 cheating and won in 2004
    Melbourne got caught in 2008 and won in 2010

was alluding to parra getting caught in 2016 and doing nothing but improve towards 2018

Teams might not get the benefit from it right away but it certainly helps a club build
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:21 am

No mention that one of those officials is now Roosters CEO Joe Kelly or that a "disgruntled" ex player is the whistle blower.
    Pain
    Pain

NFL Dynasty Champion : 2019
    NFL Fantasy L2 Champion : 2019

Post by Pain Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:06 am

Pieman wrote:absolutely

was alluding to parra getting caught in 2016 and doing nothing but improve towards 2018

Teams might not get the benefit from it right away but it certainly helps a club build

Add in the Sharks cheating with supplements and then winning a couple of years later. Same same but different???
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:52 am

Pieman wrote:absolutely

Melbourne and Parra are pure coincidence IMO.

I hate the Storm but any benefit Melbourne got beyond the years of cheating was/is negligible.

Sharks is completely different though, whether you believe the players knew or not, that Premiership is tainted IMO.

So on one hand I feel a bit for Manly if the current team is punished for past indiscretions, if they have personally gained no benefit.......but on the other (more sensible) hand it is Manly and I wouldn't mind if they were kicked out of the comp.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:42 pm

lol

And LOL... biggest LOL you have ever got out of me. fucking, LOL.

and sure, I agree.

And fuck them, if they cheat they should be punished.

MrCashman
    MrCashman

Post by MrCashman Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:25 am

Agree with this,though the Roosters have $15 million cap to work with
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:42 am

What ever happened with this? What was the result ?
    B/L
    B/L

Post by B/L Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:34 pm

Investigation still ongoing. Manly have had their extension to answer for the acquisitions pushed back a number of times.

If you have nothing to hide like they claim not sure why you would need it.

Post by Guest Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:41 pm

Just asked for their third extension didn't they?
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:25 pm

Greenberg:
    "Quick the Aussie Cricketers are copping all the media attention, lets fucken rollout these punishments ASAP so we cop less of the media spotlight!!!"
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:37 pm

As a result of the investigation, the NRL has imposed the following penalties:

A fine of $750,000 with $250,000 suspended if the club undertakes appropriate governance changes to ensure there is no repeat of the breaches
    A $660,000 penalty to be applied to the club’s salary cap. This will impact the club’s salary cap this year and next year
    Manly Chief Operating Officer, Neil Bare has had his registration suspended for 12 months but will be eligible to return to the game on January 1, 2019 if he undertakes appropriate governance training.
    Sydney Roosters CEO Joe Kelly, who was previously employed at Manly, has had his registration suspended for 12 months but will be eligible to return to the game on January 1, 2019 if he undertakes appropriate governance training.

Mr Greenberg said the club is currently cap compliant and no competition points will be deducted.

“We have to ensure the penalties for cheating the cap remain a deterrent,” he said.

“We have had such a successful start to the 2018 season that every fan from every club can reasonably expect their team to play in the finals.

“So we make no apology for taking a hard stance against breaches of the cap – it is something we will continue to be vigilant in protecting.”

Manly and each Club Official has the right to appeal the matter to the NRL Appeals Committee.
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:43 pm

i'm not sure whether the actual amount of salary cap deduction is lenient/harsh

but if their 2018 team is cap compliant, i do rather that punishment then points deduction. their points have been acquired by a legal team and deductions in points are pretty harsh on the fans. Salary cap deductions still hit the club on the field but at least the fans know the team they have is competing for somthing.
    Shanbon
    Shanbon

Post by Shanbon Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:53 pm

They are only cap compliant in 2018 because the investigation started in July 17, they had 8 months to get compliant before the new season no other team got that. 5 years of blantant cheating where they didnt disclose 3rd party payments at all compared to Parra who disclosed payments but they werent far enough removed from the club or leagues club. Seems like they got off very light to me.
    MrCashman
    MrCashman

Post by MrCashman Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:19 pm

The game is turning in to a big joke

The admin couldn't run a chook raffle and make up the rules as they go along

Some teams get the rub of the green that's for sure
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:22 am

Some big numbers emerging today. DCE registered on $400K less than he's getting and the reason he back flipped on the Titans. Walker on a similar deal and teflon Bob couldn't be made to testify and was conveniently unavailable. Gee where have we heard that before. Surely he has to step down quietly as Australian selector once this has all blown over.
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Tue May 08, 2018 10:31 am

Cheating Pricks - Manly 31961575_10155621164298723_6467557110904258560_n

Current date/time is Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:13 am