NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

Rugby League World Cup 2017 Thread

Rugby League World Cup 2017 Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: Rugby League World Cup 2017 Thread

Post by Guest Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:11 pm

anyone know why the RLWC aren't allowed to call it Suncorp Stadium? or, for that matter, why they would choose to call it 'Brisbane Stadium' instead of Lang Park?
    Pieman
    Pieman

Rugby League World Cup 2017 Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: Rugby League World Cup 2017 Thread

Post by Pieman Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:03 pm

surmo13 wrote:

Rugby League World Cup 2017 Thread - Page 12 Giphy

Yes, hilarious that you only advocate for player welfare in one particular instance, and not others.
    "I like adam blair's work off the ball" Yet only admitted that its dirty once it was announced he was leaving the bronco's
    solid lolz

And nah, seeing australia get beaten by one of the second tier teams would be amazing. Nothing but good for the game. Fuck England or NZ beating them, but I would love to see a second tier side beat Aus

And one would assume that it would be because of sponsorship.
    Suncorp staduim prob has a deal with channel 9 or something when playing rugby league.

Post by Guest Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:23 pm

Valentine Holmes 6 tries. Well done!

Post by Guest Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:39 pm

Did a bit of research, the 'brisbane stadium' name might be due to regulations? apparently the FIFA has international rules stating that games have to be played in a stadium free from advertising and naming rights, it's possible the RLIF has similar rules in place.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:53 pm

surmo13 wrote:Did a bit of research, the 'brisbane stadium' name might be due to regulations? apparently the FIFA has international rules stating that games have to be played in a stadium free from advertising and naming rights, it's possible the RLIF has similar rules in place.

This was the first thing that came to mind when I read your previous post, I remembered it from our World Cup bid.
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:06 am

surmo13 wrote:I get the whole 'minnows doing well is good for the game' thing, but fuck me, i'm sick of seeing Australians getting behind Fiji in this game, show some pride for your country ffs, I've never uttered the phrase 'geez the Knights are doing it tough and probably deserve a win, i hope they beat my team this week'

its the biggest thing holding back international league in australia, so many just expect us to win all the time that they almost cheers for the other team

i remember aussies cheering on the poms a few years ago even, the poms for god sakes!

the success of the world cup hasn't been the quality, its been the passion shown by players and supporters of tonga, fiji and Lebanon and australia doesn't have it, we'll win the final by a few tries and the crowds still won't really care

which probably isn't just a league thing, we had the best cricket team in the world for yonks, but it wasn't till we lost the ashes in 2005 that everyone got really excited for a series in Australia.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:28 pm

Great achievement from Holmes!! Most of his tries are just because he is lucky enough to be on the left wing, but still, he scored them so its in the record books. What a great record to have.
    Shanbon
    Shanbon

Post by Shanbon Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:50 pm

Man what a stupid time to play the 2nd semi

The ref is killing Tonga in this game and showing exactly why they need to keep 2 refs
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:11 pm

Shanbon wrote:Man what a stupid time to play the 2nd semi

The ref is killing Tonga in this game and showing exactly why they need to keep 2 refs

Great game though and yeah, Tonga very unlucky. Can see them capitulating if the Poms score first this half. Hopefully not.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:14 pm

Speaking of great games, I managed to knock off early and watch the whole England/Cocos Islands broadcast on Wednesday. My of that was a tremendous game, had a bit of everything. Not just because of the result, but there was a couple of MASSIVE hits and a lot of niggle between the big girls in the ruck Smile

Post by Guest Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:17 pm

leaguegod wrote:

its the biggest thing holding back international league in australia, so many just expect us to win all the time that they almost cheers for the other team

i remember aussies cheering on the poms a few years ago even, the poms for god sakes!

the success of the world cup hasn't been the quality, its been the passion shown by players and supporters of tonga, fiji and Lebanon and australia doesn't have it, we'll win the final by a few tries and the crowds still won't really care

which probably isn't just a league thing, we had the best cricket team in the world for yonks, but it wasn't till we lost the ashes in 2005 that everyone got really excited for a series in Australia.

Yeh, tall poppy syndrome is an unfortunately all too common in Australian culture.

Mal as Aus coach might be the best appointment in a long time, purely because he's spent so much time instilling into the players selected the respect and pride that the history of the Kangaroos & the green/gold jersey derserves, i just wish the fans would buy in too. Regardless of competition, the Kangaroos teams of the last few years might be some of the best ever assembled, and should be admired as such, but so many 'die-hard aussie rugby league fans' don't care and just want to see them get beaten. I'm split on this match at the moment, i'd like to see Tonga win but it'll come with a large aussie bandwagon cheering against their own next week, at least if England get up here we might see some passion for the jersey again, no self-respecting Aussie gets caught dead cheering on an English anything while the Ashes are going on.

Post by Guest Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:24 pm

If any club looking for a winger in the next few years doesn't hit up Huddersfield about McGillvary, they are doing it wrong.

Post by Guest Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:40 pm

It’s amazing what 65 minutes of a game can change your whole opinion on someone. I always thought Ceehan was a decent ref but after watching this game? He’s a biased piece of shit doesn’t deserve to be a touche for an under 8s game

Post by Guest Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:58 pm

Mighty Fishes wrote:It’s amazing what 65 minutes of a game can change your whole opinion on someone. I always thought Ceehan was a decent ref but after watching this game? He’s a biased piece of shit doesn’t deserve to be a touche for an under 8s game

ref has been fine, slanted towards England in the 50/50 calls but all the major calls have been on the money

and yes, even the last call, text book definition of a loose carry

Last edited by surmo13 on Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:04 pm

surmo13 wrote:

ref has been fine, slanted towards England in the 50/50 calls but all the major calls have been on the money

Nahh
    Shanbon
    Shanbon

Post by Shanbon Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:07 pm

Great finish to the game. I disagree with the ch7 panel, thats a no try and correct call at the end but wow what a finish
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:10 pm

He's played at the ball and stripped it. Fifita isn't holding on tight but it's worth a look. I feel it's a try. Fuck that was some comeback.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:21 pm

The last call... fark. 100% deserve to be looked at at the very least.

I am with gus on this one, that should be a knock on every time because the onus should be on the ball carrier to hold onto it.

BUT - in the NRL if a defender plays at the ball and dislodges it, its play on and a try. Which is what happened.

Its a 50 / 50 and im happy with the call because thats what it should be but you would see the same thing next week and it would be given a try.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:29 pm

leaguegod wrote:

Its human nature to want to see an underdog win.

Fuck seeing a "power" beat Australia, England or NZ. No one wants to see that, but seeing a genuine underdog story is one of the greatest things in sport and its one of the reasons sport is the greatest show in on the planet.

Would be more than happy to see a genuine underdog beat an unbackable fav. Which is what Aus is v the second tier teams.

Post by Guest Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:43 pm

take the romance out off it, i guarentee the Rugby League corner of the internet would be in peak meltdown mode if the Broncos scored like that to win any game, let alone a knock-out game.

i mean shit, the exact same thing happened to McGillvary in the preceding set, and if it was ruled as a strip, it would've been England scrum because the ball went towards England's try-line

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:45 pm