NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

Hayne to Sharks

Ice

Hayne to Sharks Empty Hayne to Sharks

Post by Ice Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:17 pm

What's the whisper? Anyone think this might actually happen?
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Hayne to Sharks Empty Re: Hayne to Sharks

Post by Honeysett Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:19 pm

No. Won't happen.

Why would they want him?

Holmes is a better player on less money and younger.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:39 pm

Sharks have already come out and said they are not interested in him.
    Plus they have Holmes and Dugan who are both better than him now.
    Ice

Post by Ice Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:38 pm

Double HAHa.

I don't think it will happen,but what will happen, assuming Hayne gets to play the full season at FB, we will see how he is comfortably better than the other two.
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:31 am

Hayne hasnt produced the form he is living off for over three years now. Unless he is picked up for less than 200k, nothing to see here.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:27 am

No Sydney teams in the GF - needed something to fill column inches
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:37 am

Ice wrote:Double HAHa.

I don't think it will happen,but what will happen, assuming Hayne gets to play the full season at FB, we will see how he is comfortably better than the other two.

I dont dispute that hanye has the potential to be better than both.
    But for the last season and a bit, he has been one of the worst fullbacks in the comp.
    Dip

Post by Dip Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:05 am

Pieman wrote:

I dont dispute that hanye has the potential to be better than both.
    But for the last season and a bit, he has been one of the worst fullbacks in the comp.

Yep. I'm a big fan of Hayne's play but he just isn't fit enough to play fullback or as skillful as he was pre 2014. Silly comment talking about playing the full season at FB. He started round 1 at fullback this year and wasn't able to play well enough to keep it. If he plays anything like 2017, there is zero chance he would keep Holmes out of the position. Could say the same about Dugan I suppose at the Dragons this year.

I don't think Hayne went as bad as what people made out, but out of the NRL fullbacks there is no doubt the following were better than him this year in that position (in no particular order): Coote, Boyd, RTS, Wighton, Slater, Dugan, Tedesco, Gordon, Hoppa Jr, TTurbo, Holmes, French, Gutherson, Moylan, Edwards, Johnston. I'm not saying I'd necessarily take all those guys over Hayne, but on performances alone in 2017, I can't see how you could say otherwise.

Personally, if it's really about the football, and I get the feeling Hayne is lacking some motivation at the moment, the best thing that could happen for Hayne would be for the Walker brothers to coach the Titans with their possession football style. I reckon that would be some motivation for Hayne, and if gets himself fit enough, would really suit his style and once again be one of the best players to watch in the game.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:41 am

Loz is apparently the front runner for the job. Would love to see him signed as coach then employ the walker brothers as assistants to do the attack. Loz can be the man manager.

Loz apparently has a good relationship with hayne and hayne delivered for him in 2014 but he was horrible for all but 5 mins or so of SOO this year.

This is a contract year for Hayne so I expect him to pull his finger out and earn that next and last big deal. I am absolutely expecting a big year from him after getting the coach sacked and also having the worst year of his career playing wise.
    Dip

Post by Dip Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:28 am

Pieman wrote:Loz is apparently the front runner for the job. Would love to see him signed as coach then employ the walker brothers as assistants to do the attack. Loz can be the man manager.

Loz apparently has a good relationship with hayne and hayne delivered for him in 2014 but he was horrible for all but 5 mins or so of SOO this year.

This is a contract year for Hayne so I expect him to pull his finger out and earn that next and last big deal. I am absolutely expecting a big year from him after getting the coach sacked and also having the worst year of his career playing wise.

I have this opinion that at NRL level, defences are just too organised and the full style the Walker boys use at Ipswich won't work at NRL level, but gee, I'd like to see it given a go in case I'm wrong.

The other thing I think should be taken into consideration when appointing a coach is that Gold Coast has always struggled with crowd numbers. I know winning is the best way to improve that, but if you're going to be a middle of the road side, maybe the next best way to improve crowds is to play an exciting brand of football. If I'm someone who might go and watch a footy game, I'm more likely to go and watch a team that plays like say Canberra has the last few years than a team that plays like the Dragons have the last few years. If anything, looking at their roster, with guys like Hayne, Taylor, Roberts, James etc, you'd think if they're going to win a game by 2 points, they're more chance of winning games that end 30-28 than 14-12. Why not play a game plan that matches your player strengths.
    ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Post by ryno_ Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:14 am

Dip wrote:

I have this opinion that at NRL level, defences are just too organised and the full style the Walker boys use at Ipswich won't work at NRL level, but gee, I'd like to see it given a go in case I'm wrong.

The other thing I think should be taken into consideration when appointing a coach is that Gold Coast has always struggled with crowd numbers. I know winning is the best way to improve that, but if you're going to be a middle of the road side, maybe the next best way to improve crowds is to play an exciting brand of football. If I'm someone who might go and watch a footy game, I'm more likely to go and watch a team that plays like say Canberra has the last few years than a team that plays like the Dragons have the last few years. If anything, looking at their roster, with guys like Hayne, Taylor, Roberts, James etc, you'd think if they're going to win a game by 2 points, they're more chance of winning games that end 30-28 than 14-12. Why not play a game plan that matches your player strengths.

You're right - it wont work against disciplined NRL teams. But neither does Jarryd Hayne, so they may aswell go all in and at least play footy thats good to watch.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:38 am

I too have doubts it would work, hence why it hasnt been tried. Aspects of it are creeping into the game though with short dropouts and kickoffs etc. They would also have to have a fucking good defence for it it to work.

They have the players that are well suited to that style. I would like to see a team try it for 2 years, if it doesnt work then fuck it, get a new coach and start again. They would need a hooker that runs it a bit more too IMO, a parcell - who excelled in that style but struggled a bit in a real NRL system. There is just too much wrestling in the NRL for is to be effective IMO.
    ryno_
    ryno_

Post by ryno_ Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:46 am

Pieman wrote:I too have doubts it would work, hence why it hasnt been tried. Aspects of it are creeping into the game though with short dropouts and kickoffs etc. They would also have to have a fucking good defence for it it to work.

They have the players that are well suited to that style. I would like to see a team try it for 2 years, if it doesnt work then fuck it, get a new coach and start again. They would need a hooker that runs it a bit more too IMO, a parcell - who excelled in that style but struggled a bit in a real NRL system.

Matt Parcell didn't struggle. He was great. His arseholing out of the country is one of the great mysteries. He destroyed the Sharkies in one game last year.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:52 am

Well he wasnt great.

He obviously struggled a bit in a real first grade system.
    He was inconsistent and clearly struggled to hold his spot in the team, which led to them releasing him to England - where at that level he has gone well.

In a system where he is allowed to run it a bit more and play a bit more free footy he has shown that he can be good, just not at a consistent NRL level.

ryno_
    ryno_

Post by ryno_ Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:02 am

Pieman wrote:Well he wasnt great.

He obviously struggled a bit in a real first grade system.
    He was inconsistent and clearly struggled to hold his spot in the team, which led to them releasing him to England - where at that level he has gone well.

In a system where he is allowed to run it a bit more and play a bit more free footy he has shown that he can be good, just not at a consistent NRL level.

He didnt struggle in a real first grade system. He was arseholed because Manly were idiots. His defence was great, service from half was good and provided 10x the attacking spark Koroisau did. He only lost the job because of an injury, not because he wasn't the better player.

Manly fans were outraged when he got let go.
    Dip

Post by Dip Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:24 pm

Pieman wrote:I too have doubts it would work, hence why it hasnt been tried. Aspects of it are creeping into the game though with short dropouts and kickoffs etc. They would also have to have a fucking good defence for it it to work.

They have the players that are well suited to that style. I would like to see a team try it for 2 years, if it doesnt work then fuck it, get a new coach and start again. They would need a hooker that runs it a bit more too IMO, a parcell - who excelled in that style but struggled a bit in a real NRL system. There is just too much wrestling in the NRL for is to be effective IMO.

With the NRL coaching merry go round, there is no way the Walker boys would be given 2 years with the style if they are still at or near the bottom of the table. In fact I'd expect if they are signed, the board will specifically have the power to sack them without financial penalty if they haven't won ___ of the first ___ games.

Having said that, the Walker boys were good enough to realise if they played the same as every other team in the QCup with the team and constraints they had they couldn't win, so they devised an alternative game plan that made them the best non-NRL team in the country. Whose to say if appointed Titans coaches they couldn't devise a different unusual game plan that could be successful for the Titans.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:31 pm

NRL.com wrote:After discussions with head coach Trent Barrett and Manly head of football Bob Fulton at the club's training camp in Coffs Harbour last week, negotiations between Manly and Leeds got serious.

Fulton negotiated the exit through Parcell's manager Clinton Schifcofske and Leeds Rhinos chief executive Gary Hetherington.

Air Quote Coffs Harbour Air Quote
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:53 pm

Parcell was absolutely quality in the NRL and it was truly perplexing that Manly let him go and that no one at the NRL had time to jump on it. I'd have him at Newcastle in a heartbeat.
    dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:02 pm

I thought he was a gun. I wanted him to stay at the Broncos!
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:06 pm

He was a gun, in the Qcup and has gone well in the superleague.

I didnt think he did anything overly special in the NRL tho. I dont think he deserved to be demoted to the superleague too. Agreed it was odd that no one else snapped him up, he clearly has potential.

"Great" and "absolute quality" in the NRL... I dont agree. Showed glimpses sure, but by and large IMO he was pretty inconsistent and struggled with the week to week grind. Thats not saying he couldnt come back and make it in the NRL, would love to see him come back and have a go.

I was surprised that the broncos didnt have a crack at him when NFAC went down.

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:13 pm