NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2018 Salary Cap

No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

2018 Salary Cap Empty 2018 Salary Cap

Post by No Worries Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:49 pm

Created this to keep discussion going while the season tapers off and fantasy comes to a close.

Current situation:

NRL & Clubs have agreed to

$9.2 million base cap, which is inclusive of $100,000 motor vehicle allowance.

Additional $200,000 is available for veterans who have been at clubs for eight or more years,
    or development players who are under the age of 22 and have spent at least two years outside the club’s top 30.

RLPA have pushed back and what a percentage of and profits above forecast.

For the first time there will be a BoH or Admin cap put on clubs of approx. $5.7M.

Interesting foot note any coach payouts will go towards the %5.7M, so if the Bulldogs are going to get rid of Hasler they have 8 weeks or it will count towards the cap.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

2018 Salary Cap Empty Re: 2018 Salary Cap

Post by standard-issue Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:43 pm

Excuse my ignorance, but was is the BoH Cap?
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:51 pm

Back of house
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:55 pm

BoH = Backof House. So there will be a cap on how much you can spend on coaches, physios, doctors, psychologists, trainers etc.  Not sure if it includes operating costs like rental, strapping tape etc.But again it was suppose to level the playing field for the clubs who can't afford an entourage for every player.

I think the fact pay outs are included will make coach negotiations and possibly the decision of clubs to axe a coach a whole nother beast. My example was Dessie but GC have to get rid of Henry in 8 weeks to.
    Ice

Post by Ice Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:22 pm

No Worries wrote:BoH = Backof House. So there will be a cap on how much you can spend on coaches, physios, doctors, psychologists, trainers etc.  Not sure if it includes operating costs like rental, strapping tape etc.But again it was suppose to level the playing field for the clubs who can't afford an entourage for every player.

I think the fact pay outs are included will make coach negotiations and possibly the decision of clubs to axe a coach a whole nother beast. My example was Dessie but GC have to get rid of Henry in 8 weeks to.

BoH Cap?? Serious? What a fucking joke. What happens when a team goes over this cap? Are they gonna strip teams of points? Totally not workable in my view. They can't adequately police the plAyer cap, how the hell can they be trusted to get a BoH cap under control?
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:04 pm

Yeah the BOH cap sounds fucking ridiculous.
    Is existing value of stuff already taken into account?

Weird thing to add.

No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:34 pm

Pieman wrote:Yeah the BOH cap sounds fucking ridiculous.

Weird thing to add.

Not sure what you mean by this ?

Nov. 1 Is the start of the year for cap purposes. Anything before doesn't count.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:58 pm

I meant do they go in and audit the place and say, "this is worth this, this is worth this etc etc"

If this is actually coming in, fark some clubs would be "front ending" some admin staff wages and stocking up on shit like strapping/jersey design/logo design etc etc

Eg a club could potentially go out and buy 10 years worth of e.g. strapping tape and store it in a garage somewhere before this BOH cap kicks in on nov 1
    B/L
    B/L

Post by B/L Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:20 pm

I cant believe an organisation which generates such a high amount of revenue hasnt locked in a salary cap 6 months out from the start of the season.

How can it expect the clubs to be compliant when the front office is such a debacle.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:24 pm

B/L wrote:I cant believe an organisation which generates such a high amount of revenue hasnt locked in a salary cap 6 months out from the start of the season.

How can it expect the clubs to be compliant when the front office is such a debacle.

Those clubs all having their own agenda is what took so long to reach an agreement.

The Dogs are in a great deal of trouble with that salary cap.
    B/L
    B/L

Post by B/L Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:19 pm

If James Graham is on the reported 1.1 million that is rumoured then they deserve to be.

Deadset some teams spend way too much on players that dont deserve it.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:29 am

Anyone see the willie mason comments on des and stats? Pretty interesting
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:44 am

Honeysett wrote:

Those clubs all having their own agenda is what took so long to reach an agreement.

The Dogs are in a great deal of trouble with that salary cap.
    Yeah exactly. Considering teams were told to work off 9.1 (or .2 i cant remember) a long time ago - and most of teams did (as far as we are aware) - the bulldogs blatantly ignored this by spending overs on another prop of all positions they can get fucked. I mean, yeah they need someone like Foran but they have ignored what they were told and they are now one of the reasons that this cap rubbish is stretching out.

Des fucked the sea eagles by back ending contracts, he has done it again at the dogs.
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:28 pm

Bulldogs cull has already begun. Graham to the Dragons
    Dip

Post by Dip Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:18 pm

Is the BoH Cap being introduced to level the playing field, or to stop clubs that can't control themselves from overspending? I haven't got too much of a problem if it's to level the playing fields, but don't agree with it if it is because clubs can't self-regulate their own spending (which I suspect is the real reason).

That will also potentially weaken the quality of the game. Without knowing the details, say a club can for example get a player back on the field after injury a couple of weeks earlier by using expensive kryogenic treatment, or round the clock physiotherapy, it'd be terrible to see them prevented from doing so because it'll put them over the BoH cap.
    Dip

Post by Dip Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:26 pm

Pieman wrote:Anyone see the willie mason comments on des and stats? Pretty interesting

Yeah it was an interesting read:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-bulldogs-des-hasler-willie-mason-reveals-failed-comeback-plan-after-coach-chat-did-his-head-in/news-story/136e3c80110ba46aa5527c88aa8272a1

No doubt there was a fair bit of ego there from Mason (lets face it, after his stint with Manly he was no where near as good Aiden Tolman), but he was absolutely right. Sure there is a place for statistical analysis, but you still have to pass the eye test and know when and how to use stats (completions is the big one, or if wingers only make 50 metres in a match showing them that it means someone in the team has to make up the remaining 75-100m that they didn't make compared to other wingers in the comp).

Gordie's been saying it for years when things came up like Michael Luck making 74 tackles and how it didn't impress him. He'd always say something like "Why did he make 74 tackles? Because the opposition would run at him 74 times a game. No team ever ran at someone like Tonie Carroll 74 times a game."
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:24 pm

Yeah I agree with you for the most part.

I would say that impact wise, 35 or so year old Mason had more effect on a game than Tolman did. Mason could only do it for 20 mins or effectively late in his career tho. Sure, tolman could/can punch through the stats as good as any prop in the game but yeah exactly, there is a reason Nigel Plum only make 15 tackles a game lol.

The eye test is so important. So many guys do things that just dont show up on the stats sheet.
    Eg I would imagine that bevan french isnt the greatest on play 1/2 but fuck me dead the bloke can find the try line. Some guys just have those leadership qualities that cant be measured.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:35 pm

No Worries wrote:Bulldogs cull has already begun. Graham to the Dragons

Shocked
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:32 pm

Look I wouldn't mind us signing Lillyman for small to medium money. An older head who's played lots of Origin, does all the hard stuff up the middle. Give him a year with a year in the clubs favour
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:07 pm

Dip wrote:Is the BoH Cap being introduced to level the playing field, or to stop clubs that can't control themselves from overspending? I haven't got too much of a problem if it's to level the playing fields, but don't agree with it if it is because clubs can't self-regulate their own spending (which I suspect is the real reason).

That will also potentially weaken the quality of the game. Without knowing the details, say a club can for example get a player back on the field after injury a couple of weeks earlier by using expensive kryogenic treatment, or round the clock physiotherapy, it'd be terrible to see them prevented from doing so because it'll put them over the BoH cap.

Firstly, I can't find any recent articles (i.e. from over the last week) that mentions this BoH cap as part of the negotiated offer.
    Has it gone off the table or am I not looking hard enough?

Older articles have stated that the NRL are keen to introduce it (ala the AFL) because of the evidence showing a direct correlation between off field spending and on field performance.
    And while it makes sense that this would be true and would be a way to level the playing field somewhat.....I can see this being a deadset debacle and the opening of a can of worms.

For example;
    How does the NRL take into account planned/required infrastructure upgrades?
    What happens if a club is decimated by injuries during a particular season?
    How can this be introduced without stifling innovation?

All or any of these examples could blow the shit out of a BoH salary cap and I just can't see how this cap could possibly be managed let alone policed.

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:32 am