NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL in WA

NRL in WA Empty NRL in WA

Post by Guest Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:15 pm

Today the Western Force was axed from the ARU although they are fighting to obtain their license back it doesn't look good.

This is the perfect opportunity for Greenberg to set up or at least mention intentions to look into a WA club. In fact I cant believe he hasn't commented about it today.

I personally can't see this happening unfortunately but I think that this would be the best time to strike for an expansion try to get some new fans and new money into the league.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

NRL in WA Empty Re: NRL in WA

Post by standard-issue Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:33 pm

Agreed.  I've always been sceptical about an NRL team surviving here long term.  But over the last couple of years it has looked much better, especially in regards the amount of Merchandise/jerseys you see getting around now.

Interestingly, the South West here is a pretty fast growing region and there is now a 6 team Junior comp up and running.  That is VERY encouraging as the South West is just as AFL-centric (if not more) than the rest of the State.

With the Force gone even I would think we are a chance to succeed; like I said I've been pretty negative about a team here but that's just because I know how fickle a lot of fans are.  The details of relocation/amalgamation will be interesting.  Does anyone think we can support a 17th/18th team?  The AFL absolutely fund flooded GWS and GC and I believe they still are?  Along with manipulation to the cap and draft to give them favourable outcomes.

I am not sure how similar favours would work with the other 16 teams?  To be honest I don't think we are progressive as the AFL and could see the existing teams being absolute Neanderthals to the NRL if they went down the path of concessions/extra cash for new teams.  I'm pretty sure Demetriou used a term similar to "for the next 20 years we will do everything to ENSURE that GWS and the Suns survive".  I could see new teams in the NRL being abandoned pretty quickly if bleeding cash, as opposed to the AFL's long sightedness.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:35 pm

I saw something in one of the FB pages saying the NRL were knocked back on a 30 million loan today or something?  Anyone know if that is correct, or the details?

Post by Guest Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:05 pm

I think that the time zone would even help them out on certain time slots.

I'm really not in favour of relocating teams or removing existing teams so I guess my vote would be for adding two more teams.

Also with a game or two being played over there at the moment and seeing big crowds is a positive sign. Also a fair few of the audience had merch which I found impressive I didn't think they would sell it over there to be honest. Didn't think there was a need like there is over this side of the country.

If they are going to do something about it they really need to do it now
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:19 pm

Problem is you can't rely on the blokes in charge to get anything right.  

The AFL season started nearly a month after NRL.  What do the NRL do?  They schedule only 1 Melbourne Storm game in that time in Melbourne.  And that game was the Thursday fucking night game!!!  Three potential Storm home games with NO AFL on and they do that?

Post by Guest Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:22 pm

SI wrote:Problem is you can't rely on the blokes in charge to get anything right.  

The AFL season started nearly a month after NRL.  What do the NRL do?  They schedule only 1 Melbourne Storm game in that time in Melbourne.  And that game was the Thursday fucking night game!!!  Three potential Storm home games with NO AFL on and they do that?

I know I saw that!!

Seriously could have given them 3 home games in that month 1 Friday and 2 Saturday.. Running unopposed would be amazing for them!

They have to build up a fanbase now for when the big stars do leave!

Post by Guest Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:24 pm

Something else I would love to see in league that SL does is the super weekend.

Every game live one after another on Saturday and Sunday at one stadium. I think its a brilliant idea!
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:44 pm

Yeah, the Magic Weekend is a great initiative.  They get solid crowds at ANZ at the Easter weekend.  Maybe play 5 or 6 games there over the weekend so everyone can organise there trip to the Show around the League.  Maybe play a double header at Suncorp that weekend as well.

Or maybe that is the worst time to do it money wise for a log of people.  Dunno, but either way I reckon they should give it a crack as well.

Post by Guest Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:56 pm

SI wrote:Yeah, the Magic Weekend is a great initiative.  They get solid crowds at ANZ at the Easter weekend.  Maybe play 5 or 6 games there over the weekend so everyone can organise there trip to the Show around the League.  Maybe play a double header at Suncorp that weekend as well.

Or maybe that is the worst time to do it money wise for a log of people.  Dunno, but either way I reckon they should give it a crack as well.

Magic weekend that's right that's what its called!

Id fly down for it id love it. I'm sure a lot of fans would. I mean it would be hard for families as I couldn't imagine getting a small child to enjoy NRL for 6 odd hours. Even if they did it on one day like you suggested it would be a drawcard I reckon
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:42 pm

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-confirms-plans-to-ramp-up-perth-presence-in-bid-to-fill-vacuum-left-by-aru-axing-of-western-force/news-story/9abed0cda73a005ac9b4bbfb9e1acd6d

Greenberg on Perth.  2022 mentioned.  Cautiously optimistic.  Would rather they took the 4ish years then 2 and didn't get anything right.

Post by Guest Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:08 pm

SI wrote:http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-confirms-plans-to-ramp-up-perth-presence-in-bid-to-fill-vacuum-left-by-aru-axing-of-western-force/news-story/9abed0cda73a005ac9b4bbfb9e1acd6d

Greenberg on Perth.  2022 mentioned.  Cautiously optimistic.  Would rather they took the 4ish years then 2 and didn't get anything right.

I listened to him last night on Dead Set Legends and he said "it would be silly to put a team in Perth right now but we are looking at possibly adding more games there next year or the year after"

I was really taken back but that. He did say its because of a such a big investment that might not pay off also mentioned that they want grass roots / junior footy to grow before they look at a team.

I'm no CEO but I thought the best way to get a local area excited about rugby league is by adding a team or being a bit more definitive with his answers
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:16 pm

Mighty Fishes wrote:
    SI wrote:http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-confirms-plans-to-ramp-up-perth-presence-in-bid-to-fill-vacuum-left-by-aru-axing-of-western-force/news-story/9abed0cda73a005ac9b4bbfb9e1acd6d

I listened to him last night on Dead Set Legends and he said "it would be silly to put a team in Perth right now but we are looking at possibly adding more games there next year or the year after"

I was really taken back but that. He did say its because of a such a big investment that might not pay off also mentioned that they want grass roots / junior footy to grow before they look at a team.

I'm no CEO but I thought the best way to get a local area excited about rugby league is by adding a team or being a bit more definitive with his answers
    Yeah, that seems to be a little at odds with the article.  In my opinion they use the new deal in 2022 and set themselves for an NRL franchise right now.  4 years is ample time, problem is I just don't trust any of those wankers to get it right.  

Seriously, there is that much NRL merch getting around Perth now, the game has really taken off in the last 5 years.  Alot of juniors getting around the shops on a Saturday as well.  I try really hard to not bail them all up and tell them "good stuff mate" or whatever because it really makes me smile to see the game growing here.

Post by Guest Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:03 pm

SI wrote:
    Yeah, that seems to be a little at odds with the article.  In my opinion they use the new deal in 2022 and set themselves for an NRL franchise right now.  4 years is ample time, problem is I just don't trust any of those wankers to get it right.  

Seriously, there is that much NRL merch getting around Perth now, the game has really taken off in the last 5 years.  Alot of juniors getting around the shops on a Saturday as well.  I try really hard to not bail them all up and tell them "good stuff mate" or whatever because it really makes me smile to see the game growing here.

That's awesome to hear about the merch over there. I feel if Greenberg just keeps giving ambiguous answers he technically cant let anyone down because he technically never said he would do anything
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:05 pm

I second the merch over here, you'd be really surprised by the spread of support as well.

Anytime I see anyone in league colours I have to hold my tongue and not talk to them but I can't help it sometimes. I reckon 95% of them like to have a yarn about the game as well. The game is growing over here, I agree with Greenberg though you can't just put a team here right now and expect it to be right. 2022 is a fair way off but I'd love for them to have a team over here again. Would be great for the state.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:21 am

I understand the people in WA are crying out for a League team (and I agree with one of the two new teams being from WA, first cab off the rank IMO) but the worst thing they could do is rush into this based off the Force folding.

SI if you think the NRL admin is incompetent (they are), they have nothing on Super Rugby and quite frankly it wouldn't surprise me if the Force are back in a year's time.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:40 am

Oz Sport Mad wrote:I understand the people in WA are crying out for a League team (and I agree with one of the two new teams being from WA, first cab off the rank IMO) but the worst thing they could do is rush into this based off the Force folding.

SI if you think the NRL admin is incompetent (they are), they have nothing on Super Rugby and quite frankly it wouldn't surprise me if the Force are back in a year's time.

The WA public have hit home runs everytime we've had a game here as far as attendance goes and the crowds are great when they're there. Pretty vocal considering I would imagine a large portion don't even go for the teams that are playing.

I agree with stepping up grass roots and everything else a lot more than they're doing so they've got sustainability. The Perth team will need to be competitive straight away.

Also I would hope they resist the urge to use the new stadium over nib. NIB is a smaller ground but you're right on top of the action and the atmosphere just won't be there with the new stadium for the 12k-18k crowds they'd get.
    Dip

Post by Dip Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:27 pm

Surely playing 6 games over there next year (1 per month from March-August) would be great for the game and go a long way to showing whether crowds would turn up compared to 1-2 games a year. If they turn up for 6 matches not involving a home team, then turning up for 12 home games for a local team isn't too much to expect.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:26 pm

Dip wrote:Surely playing 6 games over there next year (1 per month from March-August) would be great for the game and go a long way to showing whether crowds would turn up compared to 1-2 games a year. If they turn up for 6 matches not involving a home team, then turning up for 12 home games for a local team isn't too much to expect.

That would mean taking a game away from Darwin Rolling Eyes
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:40 pm

Honeysett wrote:
    Oz Sport Mad wrote:I understand the people in WA are crying out for a League team (and I agree with one of the two new teams being from WA, first cab off the rank IMO) but the worst thing they could do is rush into this based off the Force folding.

The WA public have hit home runs everytime we've had a game here as far as attendance goes and the crowds are great when they're there. Pretty vocal considering I would imagine a large portion don't even go for the teams that are playing.

I agree with stepping up grass roots and everything else a lot more than they're doing so they've got sustainability. The Perth team will need to be competitive straight away.

Also I would hope they resist the urge to use the new stadium over nib. NIB is a smaller ground but you're right on top of the action and the atmosphere just won't be there with the new stadium for the 12k-18k crowds they'd get.
    Yep, NIB is a great League Stadium.  If this gets off the ground it wouldn't surprise me if that is their first stupid fucked though-playing at the new stadium.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:40 pm

Dip wrote:Surely playing 6 games over there next year (1 per month from March-August) would be great for the game and go a long way to showing whether crowds would turn up compared to 1-2 games a year. If they turn up for 6 matches not involving a home team, then turning up for 12 home games for a local team isn't too much to expect.

Change it up as well, play a blockbuster here and a bottom of the table clash. So you can get a gauge of what crowds to expect from the lowest to the highest

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:51 pm