NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NSW Origin side 2018

Pieman

Re: NSW Origin side 2018

Post by Pieman on Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:32 am

@Ice wrote: Middle, edge, it's like halves playing exclusively on one side, I'm so over it. It's just dumb coaching fullstop for mine. Cordner is an edge, Crighton is an edge, what did they do on the edges that Brown couldn't have done?

Its about defence more than attack. Brown would get absolutly smoked by quick back rowers, centres and halves if he was defending at 4th man in. Hes too slow to be out that wide. He is a middle because he is doesnt have the speed and lateral movement in D that guys like Cordner and Crichton have.

In attack, can Brown run good outside in lines? Can he hit holes? can he catch the ball going into contact right away? Does he have the footwork and speed to beat his defender? I dont reckon. He is a good middle. Tough, tackles well with guys basically running straight at him, decent ball player and offload.

Edge players and middle players have totally different skill sets, its nothing like halves playing either side.
    Can some blokes do both? sure, just like some players can play hooker or halfback.

Ice

Post by Ice on Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:36 pm

@Pieman wrote:

Its about defence more than attack. Brown would get absolutly smoked by quick back rowers, centres and halves if he was defending at 4th man in. Hes too slow to be out that wide. He is a middle because he is doesnt have the speed and lateral movement in D that guys like Cordner and Crichton have.

In attack, can Brown run good outside in lines? Can he hit holes? can he catch the ball going into contact right away? Does he have the footwork and speed to beat his defender? I dont reckon. He is a good middle. Tough, tackles well with guys basically running straight at him, decent ball player and offload.

Edge players and middle players have totally different skill sets, its nothing like halves playing either side.
    Can some blokes do both? sure, just like some players can play hooker or halfback.

Is that why Cordner always has a bunch of missed/ineffective tackles, and rarely beats players with his footwork? I reckon maybe he should be moved to the middle also then, just not for the Blues.
    Pieman

Post by Pieman on Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:17 am

@Ice wrote:

Is that why Cordner always has a bunch of missed/ineffective tackles, and rarely beats players with his footwork? I reckon maybe he should be moved to the middle also then, just not for the Blues.

he can hit a pretty fucking good hole consistently.... do you ever see Cordner get beaten on the outside?
    Maybe cordner should be moved in closer in the future, but thats why brown cant play out wide. Hes a good middle, he doesnt belong on an edge.
    Maybe if he trained there and lost a little weight?

leaguegod

Post by leaguegod on Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:45 am

cordner is about as reliable a guy as you can get, was often the only forward getting back to help with a tough run when were stuck in our own end, every other forward was walking back and wondering why we couldn't out of our own end.

runs good lines in attack, plays good edge defense, he has earned his spot and there is no way a middle forward like brown would be in line to take it

maybe talk about brown V's crighton is warranted because frizz should just stay on the edge and JDB can shift tot he edge if an injury occurred (or the peach)
    No Worries

Post by No Worries on Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:22 pm

@Pieman wrote:

he can hit a pretty fucking good hole consistently.... do you ever see Cordner get beaten on the outside?
    Maybe cordner should be moved in closer in the future, but thats why brown cant play out wide. Hes a good middle, he doesnt belong on an edge.
    Maybe if he trained there and lost a little weight?

That's what she said
    Pieman

Post by Pieman on Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:47 pm

@leaguegod wrote:cordner is about as reliable a guy as you can get, was often the only forward getting back to help with a tough run when were stuck in our own end, every other forward was walking back and wondering why we couldn't out of our own end.

runs good lines in attack, plays good edge defense, he has earned his spot and there is no way a middle forward like brown would be in line to take it

maybe talk about brown V's crighton is warranted because frizz should just stay on the edge and JDB can shift tot he edge if an injury occurred (or the peach)

yeah I am not saying he would look out of place playing origin, but he is a middle forward - he would get rekked defending and attacking out on an edge IMO

Ice

Post by Ice on Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:01 pm

I don't actually think Brown should be a NSW edge forward for the record.
    Mighty Fishes

Post by Mighty Fishes on Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:17 pm

I may be wrong here but I don't rate Crichton highly at all. Think hes very luckly he is where he is. Theres plenty more players much better than he is not being picked.

I don't know what it is but last year he scored a few tries for the bunnies and everyone is saying hes a superstar.

What about Fitzgibbon? Scored 15 tries in 35 games and in my opinion much much better in defence too.  

I don't know maybe its just me

Current date/time is Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:25 am