NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

QLD State of Origin 2019 Thread

Dip

QLD State of Origin 2019 Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: QLD State of Origin 2019 Thread

Post by Dip Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:32 pm

Guerra is a bit like Neville Costigan and Marty Bella. Doesn't really excite you at club level but you just know he'll go well at Origin.
    Mr Fernando
    Mr Fernando

QLD State of Origin 2019 Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: QLD State of Origin 2019 Thread

Post by Mr Fernando Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:18 am

Myles has his best game in a long time on Saturday
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:40 pm

Parker on sterlo saying the NSW team might have too many fullbacks in it this year...
    In most of the teams he has played in they have had at least 3
    1. Slater
    2. GI
    3. Boyd

And prob a few with
    Hunt
    Lockyer
    Bowen
    Wesser

plus whoever else I am forgetting

Bit rich when you consider that Hayne has played centre and wing in origin and killed it
    Dugan as played centre and gone well
    Moylan has played 6 and played well
    Dip

Post by Dip Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:06 pm

Hayne and Dugan will go fine if picked at centre and wing. They've played there plenty before. A fullback at fullback is obviously not a concern. TTurbo has probably played more NRL at wing than fullback, so he'll go fine as well. Moylan at 5/8 went well the only time he played there, but I think Parker's point was more that in defence if Moylan is at 5/8 and you have two fullbacks at centre, then there might be a few poor reads and communication in defence if you have a fullback (5/8 ) inside a fullback (centre) inside a fullback (wing).

He may or may not be right (I don't think it'll be a problem personally), but I think NSW probably has to try it first to see how it works out if those guys demand selection. If it turns out to be a disaster then cross that bridge at that stage. I also think it's a bit of a mute point because with injury and not setting the world on fire Hayne looks a long shot for selection (and lets  face it, they left him out as often as they selected him when he was a top 5-10 player in the entire NRL so why would they now pick him ahead of guys like the Morris Brothers, BJ, Croker, Jennings, Roberts etc for the second centre or wing spot).

P.S. Apart from Hayne at his best, which we haven't seen in the NRL since 2014, I don't think any of the NSW guys talked about have the pedigree of Slater, GI and Boyd so that comparison isn't really apples and apples. I suspect Parker was making it as much as a conversation point, because otherwise it'd be hard to fill a 24 hour Rugby League channel if they only had short discussions on matters.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:11 pm

Dip wrote:Hayne and Dugan will go fine if picked at centre and wing. They've played there plenty before. A fullback at fullback is obviously not a concern. TTurbo has probably played more NRL at wing than fullback, so he'll go fine as well. Moylan at 5/8 went well the only time he played there, but I think Parker's point was more that in defence if Moylan is at 5/8 and you have two fullbacks at centre, then there might be a few poor reads and communication in defence if you have a fullback (5/8 ) inside a fullback (centre) inside a fullback (wing).

He may or may not be right (I don't think it'll be a problem personally), but I think NSW probably has to try it first to see how it works out if those guys demand selection. If it turns out to be a disaster then cross that bridge at that stage. I also think it's a bit of a mute point because with injury and not setting the world on fire Hayne looks a long shot for selection (and lets  face it, they left him out as often as they selected him when he was a top 5-10 player in the entire NRL so why would they now pick him ahead of guys like the Morris Brothers, BJ, Croker, Jennings, Roberts etc for the second centre or wing spot).

P.S. Apart from Hayne at his best, which we haven't seen in the NRL since 2014, I don't think any of the NSW guys talked about have the pedigree of Slater, GI and Boyd so that comparison isn't really apples and apples. I suspect Parker was making it as much as a conversation point, because otherwise it'd be hard to fill a 24 hour Rugby League channel if they only had short discussions on matters.

Guys like Tedesco, Mitchell, TTrbo have every bit the pedigree that Slater/GI/Boyd had when they were first being selected in rep teams and 2 of the 3 NSW guys I just mentioned have played the majority of their FG games on the wing. Yep.

Slater/GI/Boyd all started on the wing in SOO even though they weren't playing wing for their clubs (Boyd might have been actually, cant remember, im sure they all spent a little time there in club land early on).

The Hayne and Dugan mentions are wrong, because they have performed well in different positions in SOO yes play fullback in the NRL.
    Moylan, yeh has not played much but performed well playing 6 in SOO just last year.
    Tedesco should be the fullback, if not, he could handle wing quite well.

I know what his point was, I just think its hypocritical and well, wrong to say that NSW shouldnt pick a heap of fullbacks - or essentially, "players out of position". I reckon at 1 point in time, everyone in the outside backs was playing out of position for QLD except for Slater and Hodges. QLD are the perfect example of picking ur best players and fitting them in, where in the recent past NSW has generally stuck with picking players in position (unless ur name ends in Hayne)

I think its more the age of the guys that would be worrying, not the fact they play or have played fullback.
    Mearcats
    Mearcats

Post by Mearcats Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:14 pm

Pieman wrote:

Guys like Tedesco, Mitchell, TTrbo have every bit the pedigree that Slater/GI/Boyd had when they were first being selected in rep teams and 2 of the 3 NSW guys I just mentioned have played the majority of their FG games on the wing. Yep.

Slater/GI/Boyd all started on the wing in SOO even though they weren't playing wing for their clubs (Boyd might have been actually, cant remember, im sure they all spent a little time there in club land early on).

The Hayne and Dugan mentions are wrong, because they have performed well in different positions in SOO yes play fullback in the NRL.
    Moylan, yeh has not played much but performed well playing 6 in SOO just last year.
    Tedesco should be the fullback, if not, he could handle wing quite well.

I know what his point was, I just think its hypocritical and well, wrong to say that NSW shouldnt pick a heap of fullbacks - or essentially, "players out of position". I reckon at 1 point in time, everyone in the outside backs was playing out of position for QLD except for Slater and Hodges. QLD are the perfect example of picking ur best players and fitting them in, where in the recent past NSW has generally stuck with picking players in position (unless ur name ends in Hayne)

I think its more the age of the guys that would be worrying, not the fact they play or have played fullback.

I stopped reading this when you said Mitchell has the same pedigree as Slater/GI/Boyd.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:19 pm

If you kept reading you would have seen that I said - The same pedigree as those guys, when they were first being selected in rep teams.

Dip

Post by Dip Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:04 pm

Pieman wrote:

Both Slater and GI debuted for Melbourne on the wing, and were selected there for origin the next year, although by the time they were selected in Origin they were either a centre or fullback. Boyd debuted for Brisbane in 2006 and played most of his matches there on the wing, not cementing a fullback spot until he moved to the Dragons in 2009, so when he debuted on the wing in 2008 for Queensland that was his main position.

I don't think a fullback playing wing is a centre. To be honest, wingers are normally fullbacks or centres not as good as their club fullback or centres, so it makes sense that rep wingers aren't club wingers for the most part. I think the issue is more when you start picking fullbacks at 5/8, or to a lesser extent centre. That's only really been tried recently for any significant number of matches for GI, Dugan and Hayne, and those are all big players who can physically handle the defence load second in from the sideline. Moylan and Hunt are the only non-regular guys I can think of picked at 5/8. It was a failure with Hunt but worked pretty well for Moylan in a dead rubber.

I would have zero problem picking a back line of Teddy, TTurbo, Hayne, Dugan, winger, Moylan, halfback personally, although I would also say that personally Moloney would just about be the first player picked in the team, so the only way Moylan would get picked in my starting line up is if Moloney plays halfback. To me it is more about Moylan being picked ahead of Reynolds or Pearce (or Cleary or whoever). I'm not convinced that Moloney/Moylan is a better option than A Reynolds/Moloney. I would definitly pick Pearce at 14 ahead of Moylan. You guys have a bunch of big minute forwards. I'd have Pearce at 14 to cover hooker + injury cover for the halves and someone like Peachey at 15 to play backrow and cover an outside back injury and the team balance is fine.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:31 pm

Dip wrote:

I don't think a fullback playing wing is a centre.

And nor is a 2nd rower playing half back a coach.

Yet they all are called JT.
    Dip

Post by Dip Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:11 pm

Haha. Meant to say I don't think a fullback playing wing is a problem.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:22 pm

Dip wrote:Haha. Meant to say I don't think a fullback playing wing is a problem.

haha yeah, I was gona say - I dont think I said that I think a fullback playing wing is a centre lol
    Ice

Post by Ice Wed May 10, 2017 3:53 pm

Pieman wrote:Parker on sterlo saying the NSW team might have too many fullbacks in it this year...
    In most of the teams he has played in they have had at least 3
    1. Slater
    2. GI
    3. Boyd

And prob a few with
    Hunt
    Lockyer
    Bowen
    Wesser

plus whoever else I am forgetting

Bit rich when you consider that Hayne has played centre and wing in origin and killed it
    Dugan as played centre and gone well
    Moylan has played 6 and played well

That's frustrating from Sterlo, some years ago I advocated picking our best 5 at the back and I felt they were all FBs so be it. Better than having the likes of Quinn, McManus and some of those other numpties in the side.  Mini, Stewart, Dugan, Hayne should have all been in our backline at the same time at some point.  I'd have no issues what so ever with the following:

1. Tedesco
    2. Trbojevic
    3. Dugan
    4. Hayne
    5. Moylan

In fact I don't think we could do much better than that, only question mark is Moylan on the wing.

Sorry, thought I was in the NSW thread, but the point still stands.
    Ice

Post by Ice Wed May 10, 2017 10:02 pm

So who do you guys all have in the 6. I like Morgan,  but I think he is a 14 at Origin level at best. With Thurston out, surely Norman gets first crack, as a NSW supporter, I hope it's Morgan or Milford.
    ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Post by ryno_ Thu May 11, 2017 9:36 am

Pieman wrote:

Slater was rookie of the year before playing rep football. Not sure that's the best example of having the same pedigree.

Dip

Post by Dip Thu May 11, 2017 1:20 pm

Ice wrote:So who do you guys all have in the 6. I like Morgan,  but I think he is a 14 at Origin level at best. With Thurston out, surely Norman gets first crack, as a NSW supporter, I hope it's Morgan or Milford.

According to NRL on Fox, they reckon JT is almost a certainty to play. I'm expecting that to be his first game since the test, and for him m to be one of the best 3 on the field again.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu May 11, 2017 7:53 pm

ryno_ wrote:

Slater was rookie of the year before playing rep football. Not sure that's the best example of having the same pedigree.

yeah well so did tim smith and ended up being dog shit
    tedesco was fullback of the year last year
    Ice

Post by Ice Tue May 16, 2017 8:49 pm

Your Qld side peeps, put Thurston and an option in the 6: I'd have had Norman but he is injured now.
    This is your best team selectable,
    1. Slater
    2. Boyd
    3. O'Neill
    4. Chambers
    5. Gagai
    6. Thurston/DCE
    7. Cronk
    8. Napa
    9. Smith
    10. Wallace
    11. Gillett
    12. Papalli
    13. McGuire

14. Morgan
    15. Hess
    16. Kaufusi
    17. Cooper
    Dip

Post by Dip Tue May 16, 2017 9:02 pm

Ice wrote:Your Qld side peeps, put Thurston and an option in the 6: I'd have had Norman but he is injured now.
    1. Slater
    2. Boyd
    3. O'Neill
    4. Chambers
    5. Gagai
    6. Thurston/DCE
    7. Cronk
    8. Napa
    9. Smith
    10. Wallace
    11. Gillett
    12. Papalli
    13. McGuire

14. Morgan
    15. Hess
    16. Kaufusi
    17. Cooper

Pretty close backline though I suspect Holmes or Oates will be there for O'Neill. If JT is ruled out I thinkMorgan plays 6 and DCE 14.

In the forwards, with Scott out and Parker retired, at least 2 and probably 3 of Thaiday, Lillyman and Myles will be there in that order before Kaufusi, Hess, Wallace and Cooper (in that order).
    ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Post by ryno_ Wed May 17, 2017 8:08 am

Ice wrote:Your Qld side peeps, put Thurston and an option in the 6: I'd have had Norman but he is injured now.
    1. Slater
    2. Boyd
    3. O'Neill
    4. Chambers
    5. Gagai
    6. Thurston/DCE
    7. Cronk
    8. Napa
    9. Smith
    10. Wallace
    11. Gillett
    12. Papalli
    13. McGuire

14. Morgan
    15. Hess
    16. Kaufusi
    17. Cooper

Thaiday will be there ahead of Kaufusi. I tend to agree that Gagai in centres with Oates on the wing is a better side but I think theyll stick ONiell there from last years squad.

Hess is a unit and would be in my side from the bench but I can see them picking Guerra just so theres a bit of forward pack continuity from last year with Scott & Parker dropping out.

3 in a row.
    Ice

Post by Ice Wed May 17, 2017 8:55 am

Dip wrote:

Pretty close backline though I suspect Holmes or Oates will be there for O'Neill. If JT is ruled out I thinkMorgan plays 6 and DCE 14.

In the forwards, with Scott out and Parker retired, at least 2 and probably 3 of Thaiday, Lillyman and Myles will be there in that order before Kaufusi, Hess, Wallace and Cooper (in that order).

I agree all that is likely. Myles and Thaiday will definitely be selected and I agree Morgan will be in the 6. It's what gives me some hope that NSW are a chance, but as long as Smith, Slater and Cronk are running the show, I still have Qld WELL ahead for the series.

Forgot Holmes, id have him on the wing and Gagai in for O'Neill.

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:12 am