NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NSW State of Origin side 2017

Ice

NSW State of Origin side 2017 - Page 12 Empty Re: NSW State of Origin side 2017

Post by Ice Fri May 26, 2017 1:29 am

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

Of course I was fucking right about Pearcey you battling simpleton....not to mention every other discussion we've had over the years.

The bloke has only played 4 series where he has played in every single game (and only two others were he was brought in partway through) and these 4 series were when QLD were at the peak of their powers.

Timing is everything and you are not giving the credit where it's due to the QLD sides during those series.

Exactly, and the full series he was there for, Qld brilliance aside, there are bigger reasons that Pearce being the 7.

His first full series in 2011, he got lumbered with Young in the 9 for game 1, as well as King starting at prop and Hayne being left out all together by Stuart the genius. The series loss was not his fault.

2012 was absolutely the series that Stuart blew. Everyone raves about us getting within a point in game 3 but the decision by Stuart to switch his backline all around, and leave Lewis, who had been our best forward in game 1 & 2 on the bench for the first 60 minutes of game 3, so Beau Scott (who wasn't deemed good enough for selection in the first 2 games, was a joke. Gallen and Farah balled hogged at the back end which was in my view a bigger reason why we didn't take the 1 point attempt than Pearce.

2013, we would have won, but after a game 1 victory inspired by Hayne, he missed out the next 2 games to injury. The following year, we all saw what happens when Hayne plays a full series in the number 1 jersey, but Pearce wasn't there to enjoy it.

2015 a Hayneless Blues and he gets selected in the 6??? With Hodkinson, seriously, those two weren't suited to partner in the halves and again, Farah ran roughshod over them in Game 1, game two they played really well before the game 3 debacle. 52-6, you can't blame that on one man, and Ennis' inclusion didn't help.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Fri May 26, 2017 1:50 am

Ice wrote:

Exactly, and the full series he was there for, Qld brilliance aside, there are bigger reasons that Pearce being the 7.

His first full series in 2011, he got lumbered with Young in the 9 for game 1, as well as King starting at prop and Hayne being left out all together by Stuart the genius. The series loss was not his fault.

2012 was absolutely the series that Stuart blew. Everyone raves about us getting within a point in game 3 but the decision by Stuart to switch his backline all around, and leave Lewis, who had been our best forward in game 1 & 2 on the bench for the first 60 minutes of game 3, so Beau Scott (who wasn't deemed good enough for selection in the first 2 games, was a joke. Gallen and Farah balled hogged at the back end which was in my view a bigger reason why we didn't take the 1 point attempt than Pearce.

2013, we would have won, but after a game 1 victory inspired by Hayne, he missed out the next 2 games to injury. The following year, we all saw what happens when Hayne plays a full series in the number 1 jersey, but Pearce wasn't there to enjoy it.

Look Ice, putting aside your agendas regarding Stuart being shit and Hayne being the second coming.......your point still remains in terms of Pearce.

In all my time I've honestly not seen a bigger scapegoat play the game I don't think.

As you've suggested there were many, many more reasons than Pearce being the #7 but somewhere along the way blokes like Pieman have formed this unwavering opinion that it is somehow to do with Pearce's game management.

Like most things wrong in our game, I blame the NSW media for a lot of the negative hype.

I understand you like to think the one series win you've had in recent times was down to JHayne; but I quite clearly think it was the only series you have dominated our pack and belted us in defence.

It's also my biggest concern for this series, as (with the exception of Woods) your pack could well dominate again and then it won't matter that a struggling Hayne or Morris has been selected.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Fri May 26, 2017 11:05 pm

pearce was not ready to be the halfback and team leader.
    He might be now, but it was clear and obvious that he was not mature enough to do it.
    The very fact that we lost so many close games typifies this.

I remember one kick, where there was a 3/1 overlap or something, pearce freaks out and kicks the ball right into thaiday. That play right there sums up Pearces origin career.

Or pack very rarely if ever got bashed. They got the team to the right spot then pearce, as a half, couldnt turn it into points.

He may very well come out and have a blinder, I hope he does prove everyone wrong, but if he doesnt have a good series, once and for all - we will have put the red line through his name at origin level.

Post by Guest Fri May 26, 2017 11:48 pm

Pieman wrote:pearce was not ready to be the halfback and team leader.
    He might be now, but it was clear and obvious that he was not mature enough to do it.
    The very fact that we lost so many close games typifies this.

I remember one kick, where there was a 3/1 overlap or something, pearce freaks out and kicks the ball right into thaiday. That play right there sums up Pearces origin career.

Or pack very rarely if ever got bashed. They got the team to the right spot then pearce, as a half, couldnt turn it into points.

He may very well come out and have a blinder, I hope he does prove everyone wrong, but if he doesnt have a good series, once and for all - we will have put the red line through his name at origin level.

I totally agree I think this is Pearce's last chance. I think he knows that too
    Ice

Post by Ice Sat May 27, 2017 4:05 pm

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

Look Ice, putting aside your agendas regarding Stuart being shit and Hayne being the second coming.......your point still remains in terms of Pearce.

In all my time I've honestly not seen a bigger scapegoat play the game I don't think.

As you've suggested there were many, many more reasons than Pearce being the #7 but somewhere along the way blokes like Pieman have formed this unwavering opinion that it is somehow to do with Pearce's game management.

Like most things wrong in our game, I blame the NSW media for a lot of the negative hype.

I understand you like to think the one series win you've had in recent times was down to JHayne; but I quite clearly think it was the only series you have dominated our pack and belted us in defence.

It's also my biggest concern for this series, as (with the exception of Woods) your pack could well dominate again and then it won't matter that a struggling Hayne or Morris has been selected.

Me? Agendas re Stuart and Hayne, surely not, where is the false statement?

I agree, our pack performed much better in 2014, but if Hayne wasn't there we don't win, regardless of the packs effort. Origin is almost always won by the dominant pack whose spine can capitalise. Hayne did that in 14. There have been a number of series where our pack has matched it but our spine hasn't been as good. No harm in that, Qld have had the better spine, no question. Switch them and NSW have plenty of series wins, maybe no 10 from 11, but at least half, but that is all hypothetical.

We are clearly in agreement re Pearce though.
    Ice

Post by Ice Sat May 27, 2017 4:10 pm

I don't agree with Pieman and Mighty that This is Pearce's last chance, this should be viewed as his first chance. If we assume he hasn't been ready previously, was thrust into the spotlight far to early and that a half generally has their best years from 27/28 onwards then we should be viewing this as a possible start to an Origin career, especially in the clear absence of a superior or evenly matched option. all things being equal, in the normal world of Origin, regardless of squads, The team with home advantage would be favourite, that Qld still have Smith, Cronk, Boyd in their spine means they will undoubtedly retain strong favouritism, even if the markets and Qlders will try and tell you otherwise.

Yes, Pearce needs to now look like he belongs and control the team, he at the very least must ensure we win one game and not get blown off the park in any game, but if people expect that only a series win is satisfactory for Pearce, then it should be the same for any other NSW player out there.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Sat May 27, 2017 4:33 pm

Hayne was absolutely the difference in 2014. We suddenly had an X Factor that we previously didn't make the most of in previous years. There were a lot of reasons we won that series though, non more so than Hayne but the Morris twins as well were damaging. Will never forget that tackle Morris made on Boyd to stop him from going over in the corner for his hat trick or the one Josh Morris made seconds after doing his ACL.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sat May 27, 2017 4:44 pm

Or hodkinson slicing through and scoring what turned out to be the match winning try and kicking the goal.
    B/L
    B/L

Post by B/L Sat May 27, 2017 4:45 pm

When was the last time NSW went into a game at Suncorp favourites.

Im quite worried about the game but suprised NSW are favourites, unless Honeysett dropped 50k on the blues to swing the market.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sat May 27, 2017 4:52 pm

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

Of course I was fucking right about Pearcey you battling simpleton....not to mention every other discussion we've had over the years.

The bloke has only played 4 series where he has played in every single game (and only two others were he was brought in partway through) and these 4 series were when QLD were at the peak of their powers.

Timing is everything and you are not giving the credit where it's due to the QLD sides during those series.

Yeah mate you will all of a sudden be so correct after years of being totally wrong about it.

Only 4 series? Only 12 games in that period. Only 4 fucking series.... like that's a small sample haha. 12 games is more than most origin careers. 4 series is more than most origin careers. He has playerwell more than 12 games and never had a match winner or blinder in any of them.

Sure, Qld team was amazing. But the very fact that we lost so many close games tells you that the halves weren't doing their job.

We won a series with a halved pairing of Hodko and Reynolds ffs, and they did what Pearce and who ever his halves partner haven't been able to do - capitalise in a close game. Put on that match winning play. Own the win. No the halves aren't everything but fuck, if a half can't win you a close one when given the chance, then stop picking him.

His club form warrants selection. It always has. Hopefully now the club form translates to origin, because it never ever has before. I'll be stoked if it does.

Why the fuck are NSW favourites?

Crazy. Load up on Qld.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Sat May 27, 2017 4:52 pm

Pieman wrote:Or hodkinson slicing through and scoring what turned out to be the match winning try and kicking the goal.

You know what it was? We called it during the game. He went to Hoffman 3 or 4 times with no result and set up DCE perfectly for the dummy on the next time. Was perfect.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Sat May 27, 2017 4:54 pm

B/L wrote:When was the last time NSW went into a game at Suncorp favourites.

Im quite worried about the game but suprised NSW are favourites, unless Honeysett dropped 50k on the blues to swing the market.

We should not be favourite at all - it's Suncorp and it's QLD. I can't bet on Origin, way too emotionally invested to make a smart bet.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sat May 27, 2017 4:54 pm

And ice they put Pearce in 6 because Reynolds was suspended, horribly out of form etc etc. I remember it well.
    They also thought that putting him there would take the pressure off him so he didn't have to run the team and he could just do more running etc. it was a controversial call at the time too not just with hindsight.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sat May 27, 2017 5:02 pm

Honeysett wrote:

You know what it was? We called it during the game. He went to Hoffman 3 or 4 times with no result and set up DCE perfectly for the dummy on the next time. Was perfect.

Exactly. It was part of a game plan. It was also something Pearce has never done at origin level.

As I said, I would love for him to come out and dominate and win the next 5 series as halfback.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Sat May 27, 2017 5:11 pm

Hayne was the difference in the 2009 series as well

Fishing
    Ice

Post by Ice Sat May 27, 2017 6:21 pm

Pieman wrote:And ice they put Pearce in 6 because Reynolds was suspended, horribly out of form etc etc. I remember it well.
    They also thought that putting him there would take the pressure off him so he didn't have to run the team and he could just do more running etc. it was a controversial call at the time too not just with hindsight.

I know why they put him there and they shouldn't have, it was a terrible call to make and actually heaped even more pressure on him. Hodkinson wasn't in great form either but they figured they needed to stay loyal to at least one of the halves. They actually should have just stuck with the 2014 winning halves regardless, but we love to change our halves pairings even after the win matches or a series. Let alone when they lose.

As for taking pressure off not having to run the team, he has never be able to run the team with Gallen overcalling and Farah not listening.

That is why I see this year as a rebirth and the beginning of his Origin career. If he can win a game and keep the others close, he'll have done enough.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sun May 28, 2017 1:18 pm

Ice wrote:

I know why they put him there and they shouldn't have, it was a terrible call to make and actually heaped even more pressure on him. Hodkinson wasn't in great form either but they figured they needed to stay loyal to at least one of the halves. They actually should have just stuck with the 2014 winning halves regardless, but we love to change our halves pairings even after the win matches or a series. Let alone when they lose.

As for taking pressure off not having to run the team, he has never be able to run the team with Gallen overcalling and Farah not listening.

That is why I see this year as a rebirth and the beginning of his Origin career. If he can win a game and keep the others close, he'll have done enough.
    They shouldnt and correctly didnt pick reynolds that year. He was off his nut at that stage, tripping blokes, out of form so horribly. He may even have been suspended at the time?

The games were generally close anyway.
    He has to help the team win, plain and simple.
    OR have a fucking blinder in a loss.

Hodkinson was able to help win a series with Farah and Gallen on in the side, so I dont buy that as a reason.

Anyway, I hope he plays like Joey 05, dominates, and has people talking about the future of his rep career not the past

Ice

Post by Ice Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:31 pm

Well, what a surprise. Moylans first game in the 6 and it's utter domination by the Panthers, and Moylan is sublime in attack and defense. Who would have thought it???
    Ice

Post by Ice Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:58 pm

Pieman wrote:
    They shouldnt and correctly didnt pick reynolds that year. He was off his nut at that stage, tripping blokes, out of form so horribly. He may even have been suspended at the time?

The games were generally close anyway.
    He has to help the team win, plain and simple.
    OR have a fucking blinder in a loss.

Hodkinson was able to help win a series with Farah and Gallen on in the side, so I dont buy that as a reason.

Anyway, I hope he plays like Joey 05, dominates, and has people talking about the future of his rep career not the past

They correctly and shouldn't have stuck with their winning halves combo and thrown a guy who had never had success back into the furnace AND played him out of position? I don't think so. Yep, Reynolds was a little mental and not paying his best, it who cares, what's wrong with showing a little loyalty. Worst case scenario we lose the series, which we did anyway, best case scenario, we found out Reynolds is an "Origin" player and he steps up and finds form.

Re Hodkinson, he won it in spite of Gallen and Farah and because he was fortunate enough to have Hayne in the 1 all series, something Pearce never received.
    ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Post by ryno_ Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:29 am

Ice wrote:Well, what a surprise. Moylans first game in the 6 and it's utter domination by the Panthers, and Moylan is sublime in attack and defense. Who would have thought it???

Against the Bulldogs, who fielded the worst backline outside Newcastle. Pump the brakes.

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:09 am