NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NSW State of Origin side 2017

Pieman
    Pieman

NSW State of Origin side 2017 - Page 7 Empty Re: NSW State of Origin side 2017

Post by Pieman Wed May 17, 2017 12:29 pm

ryno_ wrote:

He was the 2nd best NSW centre on the field - considering the mortgage a healthy Dugan has on 1 centre spot, yes, he slipped further from contention for the 2nd centre SOO nod.

He didnt play badly but he's far from playing himself into a representative jersey. He didnt even play City/Country FFS and that had Cheyse Blair up against Nathan Ross. If he's "clearly going to play rep footy in the next few years" - what position? Theres multiple fullbacks ahead of him, about a half dozen centres and a bunch of wingers... and those guys ahead of him arent near hanging it up. Even Jennings, who seems like hes been around forever is only in his 20s.

1. How did jennings outplay him? Dont know what game you were watching.
    2. I literally said, he wont and shouldnt get picked this year. In saying that, if there is a whitewash it wouldnt shock me if he is chucked in for a game three. Because you seem so privvy on the 'pecking order' can you tell me what it is please? Because we dont even know winger number 2 at the moment, and if hayne is not healthy - who plays left centre?
    3. What position? Centre or wing.
    4. Jennings is 29 lol
    5. How the fuck is city country the measuring stick? I would be more fearful if he actually played city country to be honest because basically it means he zero chance of getting a start.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed May 17, 2017 12:30 pm

Ice wrote:

So we agree he won't get selected this year (funnily enough if Hayne is out I got a funny feeling they might just throw him to the wolves). But what is a few years?? Next year, the year after? Is that taking into consideration injuries or are we just assuming good form Tom force his way in?

he is what, 19? I would guess that by the time he is 21 or 22 he will be playing rep footy - thats if he doesnt go off the rails or something.
    ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Post by ryno_ Wed May 17, 2017 2:19 pm

Pieman wrote:
    1. How did jennings outplay him? Dont know what game you were watching.

Jennings was the only bright spot on Parras side. Looked like doing something every time he got the ball. How many players did he beat for his try - like 4? And did the heavy lifting for Guthersons.

Pieman wrote:
    2. I literally said, he wont and shouldnt get picked this year. In saying that, if there is a whitewash it wouldnt shock me if he is chucked in for a game three. Because you seem so privvy on the 'pecking order' can you tell me what it is please? Because we dont even know winger number 2 at the moment, and if hayne is not healthy - who plays left centre?

Jennings, obv. He was your best player last year - only one who consistently looked dangerous and was an ambitious, yet errant offload or a fingertip away from winning the series. If not him and Hayne & Dugan are both injured, Bird, Morris or Fergo would be next into the centres.

Pieman wrote:
    3. What position? Centre or wing.

Doesnt matter. Hes probably further back in the wing pecking order, cos of all the fullbacks NSW have who could shift around if Fergo/Mansour are injured.

Pieman wrote:
    4. Jennings is 29 lol

So... you agree he's still in his 20s? Sweet point.

Pieman wrote:
    5. How the fuck is city country the measuring stick?

I didnt say it was _the_ measuring stick. Its just a representative jersey that he didnt get picked for, behind future immortal Cheyse Blair.

Pieman wrote:
    I would be more fearful if he actually played city country to be honest because basically it means he zero chance of getting a start.

Funny. I could have sworn there were 2 origin fullbacks playing in that game. Has somebody told Matt Moylan he has "zero chance of getting a start"?

Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed May 17, 2017 5:31 pm

Gus made his Panthers players play to try and get them into form. They werent trialling for the NSW team ffs.
    Or is Hame Sele on the verge of getting picked too?
    City country has basically nothing to do with state of origin.

Yes mate, jennings is still in his 20s, good stuff. Laughing Laughing

And nope, fergo would never play centre for NSW. He is a good rep winger, terrible centre. Plus he plays exclusively on the other side of the field.

Ahead of Mitchell as of right now - IMO, off the top of my head.
    Left Wingers: Brett Morris, Hayne. (injured TTrbo, Mansour)
    Left Centres: Hayne, Jennings, possibly josh morris, (maybe Croker even tho he is never even mentioned in the debate).

All the healthy guys are in their very late 20s or 30s too

Now, as I have said a few times, he wont get picked this year and needs to learn some consistency and mature a bit. He obviously has the size and raw talent so yeh, In the next couple of years, mos def.

Far out, if the guy was from QLD you blokes would be absolutely tearing shreds off it over him
    ryno_
    ryno_

Post by ryno_ Wed May 17, 2017 7:12 pm

Pieman wrote:Gus made his Panthers players play to try and get them into form. They werent trialling for the NSW team ffs.
    Or is Hame Sele on the verge of getting picked too?
    City country has basically nothing to do with state of origin.

Yes mate, jennings is still in his 20s, good stuff. :lol: :lol:

And nope, fergo would never play centre for NSW. He is a good rep winger, terrible centre. Plus he plays exclusively on the other side of the field.

Ahead of Mitchell as of right now - IMO, off the top of my head.
    Left Wingers: Brett Morris, Hayne.  (injured TTrbo, Mansour)
    Left Centres: Hayne, Jennings, possibly josh morris, (maybe Croker even tho he is never even mentioned in the debate).

All the healthy guys are in their very late 20s or 30s too

Now, as I have said a few times, he wont get picked this year and needs to learn some consistency and mature a bit. He obviously has the size and raw talent so yeh, In the next couple of years, mos def.

Far out, if the guy was from QLD you blokes would be absolutely tearing shreds off it over him

Bird & Roberts would also be infront for either/or/both centre/wing spots. BJ was in the emerging squad with them all so would be there or thereabouts depending on the day of the week.

Plus, if they go with Moylan at the back, they need to find room for Tedesco somewhere. And vice versa.

Gordon also gets picked in the back 3 ahead of Latrell at club, theres no reason that wouldnt continue at rep level, age aside.

Ice

Post by Ice Wed May 17, 2017 8:02 pm

So latest mail is Wallace will wear the 9 and BMoz on the left wing.

Look, I think both will do their jjob b, they won't be the reason for a defeat, but for the long term benefit of the squad, I don't see how, if you aren't going to go with Farah, that Peats isn't a better option in the 9 and how a Bird/Jennings Hayne left side Combo isn't a better option.

The selection of both to my mind is very short sighted.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed May 17, 2017 8:03 pm

ryno_ wrote:

Bird & Roberts would also be infront for either/or/both centre/wing spots. BJ was in the emerging squad with them all so would be there or thereabouts depending on the day of the week.

Plus, if they go with Moylan at the back, they need to find room for Tedesco somewhere. And vice versa.

Gordon also gets picked in the back 3 ahead of Latrell at club, theres no reason that wouldnt continue at rep level, age aside.

Gordon might be ahead of him on the wing, but I think he was a right winger wasnt he?
    Bird doesnt play left centre or left wing, either does roberts, either doe BJ.

They wont go with moylan at fullback, he will be the 6 or he wont be there, and they refuse to pick Tedesco on the wing for some reason even though I agree, he would be great there. Centre, duno. Moylan on the wing or at centre? Nope.

Now, on the the next one.

Pearce - he will be picked at 7.
    How many chances does he get this time around? If he is shit in game 1, does he get dropped for game 2?

I would honestly love to see him picked in the 14 and eased back into origin but it wont happen. That way you can have Moylan and Maloney in the side too.

Ice

Post by Ice Wed May 17, 2017 10:09 pm

Pieman wrote:
    Gordon might be ahead of him on the wing, but I think he was a right winger wasnt he?

They wont go with moylan at fullback, he will be the 6 or he wont be there, and they refuse to pick Tedesco on the wing for some reason even though I agree, he would be great there. Centre, duno. Moylan on the wing or at centre? Nope.

How many chances does he get this time around? If he is shit in game 1, does he get dropped for game 2?

I would honestly love to see him picked in the 14 and eased back into origin but it wont happen. That way you can have Moylan and Maloney in the side too.

Agree Pearce will be picked and if that is the case I think they should stick with him and Maloney for this series and the next, because we won't win this series regardless, unless Hayne kills it again from centre.

That said, I agree with your last comment, my preference would be to at least stick with the game 3 winning combo and ease Pearce in at 14. I think it is really bad karma to drop a game winning halfs combo for the next series if both are fit and in decent touch, which both are, even if it was a dead rubber.
    ryno_
    ryno_

Post by ryno_ Thu May 18, 2017 9:28 am

Pieman wrote:

#3 & #4 are interchangeable these days, especially when you're talking about rep quality players (and Latrell). Its not the old days of the inside/outside centre.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Thu May 18, 2017 11:18 am

ryno_ wrote:

#3 & #4 are interchangeable these days, especially when you're talking about rep quality players (and Latrell). Its not the old days of the inside/outside centre.

That's right, now they're half three quarters
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu May 18, 2017 1:21 pm

ryno_ wrote:

Not at all.
    Players these days are left side or right side - for the most part anyway.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu May 18, 2017 1:34 pm

Ice wrote:

Agree Pearce will be picked and if that is the case I think they should stick with him and Maloney for this series and the next, because we won't win this series regardless, unless Hayne kills it again from centre.

That said, I agree with your last comment, my preference would be to at least stick with the game 3 winning combo and ease Pearce in at 14. I think it is really bad karma to drop a game winning halfs combo for the next series if both are fit and in decent touch, which both are, even if it was a dead rubber.

If they dont pick moylan at 6 what was the point of picking him there last year in the dead rubber?
    As I said, personally, I would be going with Maloney and Moylan in the halves with pearce at 14. Pearce is cover for injury but if all goes to plan he plays a running role in the middle of the field like cronk use to. He is a brilliant hole hitter. He can also play a little but of hooker to give Wallace a rest.

There are also whispers that Tedesco will be overlooked for Hayne, which I dont hate. Ted looked tired and disinterested recently. In saying that, if Hayne was FB, I would be picking ted on the wing over Bmoz - its a no brainer.
    From what I have read and seen this is the possible side

Ted (Hayne)
    Bmoz
    Hayne (Jennings)
    Dugan
    Fergo
    Maloney
    Pearce
    Fifita
    Wallace
    Woods
    Cordner (c)
    Friz
    Jackson

Bird
    Graham
    Klemmer
    JTrbo

I have tossed up a few teams here, and no one prob cares but I wouldnt hate...
    Hayne
    Tedesco
    Bird
    Dugan
    Fergo
    Moylan
    Maloney
    Fifita
    Wallace
    Klemmer
    Cordner (c)
    Friz
    JTrbo

Pearce
    Graham
    Vaughn
    Prop/lock - Merrin/Tamou/JDB

Last edited by Pieman on Thu May 18, 2017 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu May 18, 2017 1:35 pm

Also they did pick Walker from left field last year so who the fuck knows what they will do
    Ice

Post by Ice Thu May 18, 2017 2:53 pm

Pieman wrote:

If they dont pick moylan at 6 what was the point of picking him there last year in the dead rubber?
    As I said, personally, I would be going with Maloney and Moylan in the halves with pearce at 14. Pearce is cover for injury but if all goes to plan he plays a running role in the middle of the field like cronk use to. He is a brilliant hole hitter. He can also play a little but of hooker to give Wallace a rest.

There are also whispers that Tedesco will be overlooked for Hayne, which I dont hate. Ted looked tired and disinterested recently. In saying that, if Hayne was FB, I would be picking ted on the wing over Bmoz - its a no brainer.
    From what I have read and seen this is the possible side

Ted (Hayne)
    Bmoz
    Hayne (Jennings)
    Dugan
    Fergo
    Maloney
    Pearce
    Fifita
    Wallace
    Woods
    Cordner (c)
    Friz
    Jackson

Bird
    Graham
    Klemmer
    JTrbo

I have tossed up a few teams here, and no one prob cares but I wouldnt hate...
    Hayne
    Tedesco
    Bird
    Dugan
    Fergo
    Moylan
    Maloney
    Fifita
    Wallace
    Klemmer
    Cordner (c)
    Friz
    JTrbo

Pearce
    Graham
    Vaughn
    Prop/lock - Merrin/Tamou/JDB

I'd still go Peats over Wallace. Since Peats has returned he has been red hot. He makes such a difference for the Titans, as he did for the Eels. Wallace was the Panthers best in losing sides early in the season. Since Moylan decided to take a bit more ownership, they have started to win a few, he is the main factor in the wins even if Wallace has been more consistent for them, he isn't as influential as Moylan.

I'd always be comfortable with Hayne in the 1. If he is there I think we can win this series, but I can't see it happening. Is unfortunate TTurbo is out cause I think with Hayne, Teddy, TT and Dugan you have 4 absolutely top shelf guys who I'd honestly be comfy with in any jersey from 1-5.
    Ice

Post by Ice Thu May 18, 2017 3:04 pm

You also have to assume Jackson will be there so one of Graham, Frizell and JTurbo will miss out as Cordner is a certainty also. I think JTurbo fills that role of workman that Jackson also plays so it may we'll be him. I've always advocated for that grinder/workman, Hindy missed out far to often to the likes of Creagh/Hoffman/Watmough/Bird/O'Donnell et al when what NSW needed was 1 guy prepared to make 50 tackles to take the work load off the other running backrowers and we paid the price for it. So to that end I can come at the selection of Jackson, I just think JTurbo does everything he does and probably does it better now and has more upside long term.

Jackson offers nothing from the bench in my view, he just isn't a guy anyone is going, "Oh crap, this guy could really hurt us" but the other 4, any one of them on their day can do something from the bench and Turbo , as a starter, makes that backroad stronger.

I think my pack would now be:

Woods
    Peats
    Fifita
    Graham
    Cordner
    Trbojevic

Peachey/Pearce
    Klemmer
    Frizell
    Paulo/Vaughan
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu May 18, 2017 3:11 pm

Ice wrote:You also have to assume Jackson will be there so one of Graham, Frizell and JTurbo will miss out as Cordner is a certainty also. I think JTurbo fills that role of workman that Jackson also plays so it may we'll be him. I've always advocated for that grinder/workman, Hindy missed out far to often to the likes of Creagh/Hoffman/Watmough/Bird/O'Donnell et al when what NSW needed was 1 guy prepared to make 50 tackles to take the work load off the other running backrowers and we paid the price for it. So to that end I can come at the selection of Jackson, I just think JTurbo does everything he does and probably does it better now and has more upside long term.

Jackson offers nothing from the bench in my view, he just isn't a guy anyone is going, "Oh crap, this guy could really hurt us" but the other 4, any one of them on their day can do something from the bench and Turbo , as a starter, makes that backroad stronger.

I think my pack would now be:

Woods
    Peats
    Fifita
    Graham
    Cordner
    Trbojevic

Peachey/Pearce
    Klemmer
    Frizell
    Paulo/Vaughan

I really dont think Woods should be there. He is so fucking over rated. But he will be there.
    I would love for the peach to get picked, but he wont.

The good thing about JTrbo is he offers brilliant offload as well, he is almost corey parker like. Jackson (and I feel like we have this discussion every series) is a great player. He is a hard worker and he wont let anyone down, but there at a handful of guys that actually offer something in attack as well as the hard defense that he will do - ie JTrbo. Dont get me wrong, Jackson will play, he will start and he will be one of the harder workers and better defenders on the park - I just prefer someone that at least offers something in attack as well like Friz, Jtrbo, graham

I too would go peats over wallace, but they wont.
    Peats at least offers a hooker for the next 3/4 series where wallace would be 1/2 at best.
    If wallace is hooker I feel we need a genuine utility or hooker on the bench like Peach/peats but it wont happen, it will be jack bird.
    Ice

Post by Ice Thu May 18, 2017 3:13 pm

Pieman wrote:Also they did pick Walker from left field last year so who the fuck knows what they will do

I'd say "Surely they can't make a similar mistake this year" but I know that they most certainly can.

Often when we have these discusssion, there are players who look likely to be selected who I just go "NO" to, but I've gotta say, even in the version of teams I think Loz will go with, there really aren't any that I go "Man, that is just bizarre". Pearce in the 7 will be the most controversial, but I seriously have no real issue with it. Ask me that 2 or 3 years ago and I would have said he should be stamped never to play again.

BMoz, Wallace and Jackson will be the most bizarre ones for me and none of the, are totally stupid. Tamou would be a shock given our depth in the front row, I will shake my head at that IF woods is fit Tom play, if Woods is out then I can understand sticking with his experience.

McInnes and Cook would be crazy, I couldn't cop either of their selections over Peats, Farah or Wallace or even Pearce in the 9.
    Ice

Post by Ice Thu May 18, 2017 3:22 pm

Pieman wrote:

I really dont think Woods should be there. He is so fucking over rated. But he will be there.
    I would love for the peach to get picked, but he wont.

The good thing about JTrbo is he offers brilliant offload as well, he is almost corey parker like. Jackson (and I feel like we have this discussion every series) is a great player. He is a hard worker and he wont let anyone down, but there at a handful of guys that actually offer something in attack as well as the hard defense that he will do - ie JTrbo. Dont get me wrong, Jackson will play, he will start and he will be one of the harder workers and better defenders on the park - I just prefer someone that at least offers something in attack as well like Friz, Jtrbo, graham

I too would go peats over wallace, but they wont.
    Peats at least offers a hooker for the next 3/4 series where wallace would be 1/2 at best.
    If wallace is hooker I feel we need a genuine utility or hooker on the bench like Peach/peats but it wont happen, it will be jack bird.

Don't buy into the hammering of Woods, he does just fine, just needs a haircut. He might have been a little average in his first series, but he has been solid since then and the reality is he will be there.

I don't understand why, with TTurbo out, Bird just doesn't slot straight into the centres. He showed last series he is a guy you want on the park, so slot him in and Hayne can push out to wing.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu May 18, 2017 3:36 pm

Woods is so soft imo.
    A plodder who has never once put a good hit on or run over the top of someone.
    Easy to tackle, doesnt offer all that much in the way of an offload etc. Good, solid club player IMO, nothing special besides his work rate - but the quality just isnt there for mine.

Could bird not slot onto the wing either?
    They want hayne closer to the action I guess, but really - wingers touch the ball more than centres - it wouldnt shock me if we see the entire backline shuffle around at times to be honest.
    Shanbon
    Shanbon

Post by Shanbon Thu May 18, 2017 6:44 pm

From what I've heard from Daley and Sterling they don't want to pair up Farrah and Pearce as they have seen it doesn't work. So the decision will be Pearce and Wallace/Peats or Moylan and Farah

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:56 pm