NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

AFL

Pain
    Pain

NFL Dynasty Champion : 2019
    NFL Fantasy L2 Champion : 2019

AFL Empty AFL

Post by Pain Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:32 pm

First game of AFLW. Carlton v Collingwood.

Princess park full.

Best game of footy I've seen in a while.

Go the Blues!

Womens sport. The sleeping giant. Which ever code gets it right first will be huge.

AFL Empty Re: AFL

Post by Guest Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:04 pm

Those AFL gals hit hard! Great to watch.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:12 pm

I heard it was free tickets
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:27 pm

I believe it was free tickets. but still a big crowd. Couple thousand turned away.

Watched a bit during half time of the A-league. Carlton were a class above, Collingwood had too many plodders. They need to establish the comp for a few years to get an established pathway and some better training at grassroots and up to build the skill level. A few players out there were converts form other sports and would take a while to learn the game
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:48 pm

It feels so forced to me, like AFL legends are being forced to say they can't wait for it just to be PC. I can't imagine this taking off and lasting.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:19 pm

As pain said, women's sport is a sleeping giant. Most of the big sports in Australia have a pretty small percentage of female spectators /TV viewers.

It's a big untapped market. And live sport is one of the few things keeping foxtel and free-to-air TV alive, do they'd be keen to get something viable happening.

The AFL especially has shown in the past they are willing to throw money at something until it works
    Pain
    Pain

Post by Pain Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:55 pm

Most sydney nrl clubs would be gagging for the crowds that the aflw had so far.

Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:41 am

Pain wrote:Most sydney nrl clubs would be gagging for the crowds that the aflw had so far.

I've been talking about it with my mates, it's free and there's nothing else on at the moment so it's not hard to imagine they'd get a great crowd, especially for the first game. It's not something that has the legs to go the distance I don't feel. Once the hype dies down over it or they start charging for tickets the crowds will die or they'll pull the curtain for the guys games.

The quality of the footy is what will dictate how long it lasts, if they can get to a decent standard of play then perhaps it'll stay lukewarm but it's very hard for women to break into a male dominated sport and have success.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:52 pm

Honeysett wrote:

I've been talking about it with my mates, it's free and there's nothing else on at the moment so it's not hard to imagine they'd get a great crowd, especially for the first game. It's not something that has the legs to go the distance I don't feel. Once the hype dies down over it or they start charging for tickets the crowds will die or they'll pull the curtain for the guys games.

The quality of the footy is what will dictate how long it lasts, if they can get to a decent standard of play then perhaps it'll stay lukewarm but it's very hard for women to break into a male dominated sport and have success.

The curtain is the way to go. T20 womens did it and it worked a treat. Someone mentioned the legends having to tow the line earlier. I recall one of them coming out late last year saying the men shouldn't be subsidising the women and he got panned. At least as the curtai you can justify that people are paying to see them.
    Pain
    Pain

Post by Pain Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:17 pm

No Worries wrote:

The curtain is the way to go. T20 womens did it and it worked a treat. Someone mentioned the legends having to tow the line earlier. I recall one of them coming out late last year saying the men shouldn't be subsidising the women and he got panned. At least as the curtai you can justify that people are paying to see them.

A mix would be good. Taking the kids to a suburban field at a family friendly time also has its appeal.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:14 pm

Pain wrote:

A mix would be good. Taking the kids to a suburban field at a family friendly time also has its appeal.

Thats what T20 did through the finals when the teams playing didnt line up with the big bash.

Totally agree.
    B/L
    B/L

Post by B/L Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:41 pm

No disrespect to the women playing the game but the standard is horrible.

Its cringeworthy to watch they get numbers around the ball and no one can pick it up cleanly or kick it far enough to clear the ruck..

Kind of reminds me of food drops in poverty striken countries fighting over food.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:55 pm