NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

    Pain
    Pain

    Posts : 3322
    Reputation : 1128
    Join date : 2015-07-30

    AFL Empty AFL

    Post by Pain on Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:32 pm

    First game of AFLW. Carlton v Collingwood.

    Princess park full.

    Best game of footy I've seen in a while.

    Go the Blues!


    Womens sport. The sleeping giant. Which ever code gets it right first will be huge.
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    AFL Empty Re: AFL

    Post by Guest on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:04 pm

    Those AFL gals hit hard! Great to watch.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett
    Moderator

    Posts : 5987
    Reputation : 2264
    Join date : 2015-09-28
    Age : 32
    Location : Scarborough

    AFL Empty Re: AFL

    Post by Honeysett on Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:12 pm

    I heard it was free tickets
    Milchy
    Milchy
    Moderator

    Fantasy Fanatics VSDT Overall Group Winner : 2017
    Posts : 11007
    Reputation : 4856
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    AFL Empty Re: AFL

    Post by Milchy on Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:27 pm

    I believe it was free tickets. but still a big crowd. Couple thousand turned away.

    Watched a bit during half time of the A-league. Carlton were a class above, Collingwood had too many plodders. They need to establish the comp for a few years to get an established pathway and some better training at grassroots and up to build the skill level. A few players out there were converts form other sports and would take a while to learn the game
    Honeysett
    Honeysett
    Moderator

    Posts : 5987
    Reputation : 2264
    Join date : 2015-09-28
    Age : 32
    Location : Scarborough

    AFL Empty Re: AFL

    Post by Honeysett on Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:48 pm

    It feels so forced to me, like AFL legends are being forced to say they can't wait for it just to be PC. I can't imagine this taking off and lasting.
    Milchy
    Milchy
    Moderator

    Fantasy Fanatics VSDT Overall Group Winner : 2017
    Posts : 11007
    Reputation : 4856
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    AFL Empty Re: AFL

    Post by Milchy on Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:19 pm


    As pain said, women's sport is a sleeping giant. Most of the big sports in Australia have a pretty small percentage of female spectators /TV viewers.

    It's a big untapped market. And live sport is one of the few things keeping foxtel and free-to-air TV alive, do they'd be keen to get something viable happening.

    The AFL especially has shown in the past they are willing to throw money at something until it works
    Pain
    Pain

    Posts : 3322
    Reputation : 1128
    Join date : 2015-07-30

    AFL Empty Re: AFL

    Post by Pain on Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:55 pm

    Most sydney nrl clubs would be gagging for the crowds that the aflw had so far.

    Honeysett
    Honeysett
    Moderator

    Posts : 5987
    Reputation : 2264
    Join date : 2015-09-28
    Age : 32
    Location : Scarborough

    AFL Empty Re: AFL

    Post by Honeysett on Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:41 am

    @Pain wrote:Most sydney nrl clubs would be gagging for the crowds that the aflw had so far.


    I've been talking about it with my mates, it's free and there's nothing else on at the moment so it's not hard to imagine they'd get a great crowd, especially for the first game. It's not something that has the legs to go the distance I don't feel. Once the hype dies down over it or they start charging for tickets the crowds will die or they'll pull the curtain for the guys games.

    The quality of the footy is what will dictate how long it lasts, if they can get to a decent standard of play then perhaps it'll stay lukewarm but it's very hard for women to break into a male dominated sport and have success.
    No Worries
    No Worries
    Moderator

    Posts : 6924
    Reputation : 3344
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    AFL Empty Re: AFL

    Post by No Worries on Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:52 pm

    @Honeysett wrote:

    I've been talking about it with my mates, it's free and there's nothing else on at the moment so it's not hard to imagine they'd get a great crowd, especially for the first game. It's not something that has the legs to go the distance I don't feel. Once the hype dies down over it or they start charging for tickets the crowds will die or they'll pull the curtain for the guys games.

    The quality of the footy is what will dictate how long it lasts, if they can get to a decent standard of play then perhaps it'll stay lukewarm but it's very hard for women to break into a male dominated sport and have success.

    The curtain is the way to go. T20 womens did it and it worked a treat. Someone mentioned the legends having to tow the line earlier. I recall one of them coming out late last year saying the men shouldn't be subsidising the women and he got panned. At least as the curtai you can justify that people are paying to see them.
    Pain
    Pain

    Posts : 3322
    Reputation : 1128
    Join date : 2015-07-30

    AFL Empty Re: AFL

    Post by Pain on Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:17 pm

    @No Worries wrote:

    The curtain is the way to go. T20 womens did it and it worked a treat. Someone mentioned the legends having to tow the line earlier. I recall one of them coming out late last year saying the men shouldn't be subsidising the women and he got panned. At least as the curtai you can justify that people are paying to see them.

    A mix would be good. Taking the kids to a suburban field at a family friendly time also has its appeal.
    No Worries
    No Worries
    Moderator

    Posts : 6924
    Reputation : 3344
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    AFL Empty Re: AFL

    Post by No Worries on Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:14 pm

    @Pain wrote:

    A mix would be good. Taking the kids to a suburban field at a family friendly time also has its appeal.

    Thats what T20 did through the finals when the teams playing didnt line up with the big bash.

    Totally agree.
    B/L
    B/L

    Posts : 1360
    Reputation : 418
    Join date : 2016-01-12

    AFL Empty Re: AFL

    Post by B/L on Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:41 pm

    No disrespect to the women playing the game but the standard is horrible.

    Its cringeworthy to watch they get numbers around the ball and no one can pick it up cleanly or kick it far enough to clear the ruck..

    Kind of reminds me of food drops in poverty striken countries fighting over food.

      Current date/time is Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:58 am