NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

Recreational drugs in sport

No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Recreational drugs in sport Empty Recreational drugs in sport

Post by No Worries Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:19 am

On the back of Lovett's no charge recorded and 6 month good behaviour bond after pleading guilty to cocaine possession, some interesting reading in the SMH today. Although listed as rugby league, NRL barely gets a mention but an interesting read none the less.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/nrl-and-afl-only-have-illicit-drugs-policies-to-cover-themselves--not-protect-players-20160328-gnsg3g.html
    ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Recreational drugs in sport Empty Re: Recreational drugs in sport

Post by ryno_ Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:37 am

Does anybody honestly care if players do recreational drugs? I dont care if somebody jams anything that will fit up their nose on a weekend, aslong as they are sober when they pull the boots on.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:37 am

Its an interesting and difficult debate.

Some jobs - if you test positive for drugs then you will lose your job.
    Some jobs - you never get tested so it doesnt matter.

Should it matter if athletes test positive for rec drugs?
    They arent performance enhancing so why should they be banned?
    Do they get banned just because the substances are illegal in society and the league wants to seem as if it is against illegal drugs? The leagues don't want their players to have drug problems because it looks bad.
    Do the drugs effect their performance? Prob no more or less than getting blind on grog.

Its a long and difficult debate

Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:38 am

ryno_ wrote:Does anybody honestly care if players do recreational drugs? I dont care if somebody jams anything that will fit up their nose on a weekend, aslong as they are sober when they pull the boots on.
    yeah thats the debate, what if they do it on a sunday then play on a monday and still have it in their system when they play a game?
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:19 am

Drugs would be better for athletes than alcohol in terms of keeping them fit however they have long term problems that go with that, getting on the coke for long periods of time can cause problems with your heart or ruin your voice box. So there needs to be a line in the sand with league. They're a professional sport and need to be against illicit drugs, it goes without saying I believe.
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:27 am

It's illegal and they are public figures end of story. The few who claim they are performance enhancing are off their rockers though.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:41 am

Why no charge when he was caught red handed with Coke?
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:45 am

SI wrote:Why no charge when he was caught red handed with Coke?
    If you mean Lovett I'm assuming it's actually no conviction recorded.
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:44 pm

Krump wrote:
    If you mean Lovett I'm assuming it's actually no conviction recorded.

^This - clean skin, remorseful & pleaded guilty early.
    Dip

Post by Dip Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:40 pm

It's a tough one, which is fueled by a population (not necessarily just supporters) which generally has a holier than thou attitude that hold's these guys to a higher standard than pretty much any other 18-33 year old male. I'm not saying that is right or that I agree with it, but like it or not, that's how it is. From a club's (and NRL) point of view, that can and will affect sponsorship, so they have to have to protect their investment so to speak.

As far as I see it, I agree with article that the current recreational drug policy is probably not about helping the player.

Personally, I don't really care what these guys pop, providing it's not hurting anyone else (and keep in mind that self harm not only hurts themselves, but also their family), but like it or not they are role models to youngsters. Should they be? In some cases probably not, but for some reason my kids would prefer to admire a sportsman than the current Australian of the Year or Fred Hollows etc. They are role models because they have high exposure due to their sport and skills. This high exposure also results in them having a really good income compared to most other 18-35 year old men, so there is an argument that they don't want to be a role model and just play football, then maybe they should do that in the QCup or somewhere they can still play football and not be known by millions of people. Sure they won't get paid much for it, but if exposure = money = being a role model, then you might argue it's something you either take all of or none of.

I would also say that generally speaking, people need to take responsibility for their own actions, which would then lay all the consequences on the player alone, but in this case I'm going to make an exception and the club should help players prevent and rehabilitate from recreational drugs, because in part they are responsible for it. They are the ones who place the pressure on the players so that they want to let their hair down every now and then, and I am also harsher on organisations which generally don't show a lot of loyalty, and will quite happily cut/abandon a player if they think there is a better alternative. That's their perogative given the nature of the industry, but if you are going to be ruthless in some parts, I think it's fair to be overly generous in other areas.

So in summary, my opinion is based on the idea of letting the little things go relatively unpunished (sometimes the shame of it all is punishment enough), and being heavy handed on the big things. If some players take a couple of tablets that make them feel like the world's best dancer, but apart from that all that happens is they go home and wake up with a bad headache and they don't cause anyone else any trouble, then for sure give them no punishment, or at worst keep a confidential register of it and if it happens enough give them some advice/rehab that one day it's going to cause more problems.

If they take something and go on a trip that is followed by them having their stomach pumped in hospital, and their mother reading in the paper that they're a druggo, then give them a strike and and have some sort of rehab process that helps them not do something that will result in their 13 year old sibling being made fun of at school about their snorter brother.

It they take some ice and punch everyone in sight at a nightclub, or have a skinful of alcohol and come home and bash their missus, then throw the book at them. Unfortunately, there is too many do-gooders in society and the media that want to treat the first example exactly the same as the third.
    ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Post by ryno_ Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:46 pm

Pieman wrote:
    yeah thats the debate, what if they do it on a sunday then play on a monday and still have it in their system when they play a game?

If they have it in the system when they are playing, fuck em. Throw the book. But if they are sober when they play, I dont care what they are doing in their spare time. Thats a matter between them and law enforcement, not their employer or their fans.

Post by Guest Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:35 pm

I'm all for it.
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:22 am

Rabbit wrote:I'm all for it.

Is that you

Dylan Walker
    Aaron Gray
    Kirisome Auva'a
    Craig Field ???

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:37 am