NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Finals Week 3

No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

NRL Finals Week 3 - Page 5 Empty Re: NRL Finals Week 3

Post by No Worries Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:15 am

Where have I read before about a player intentionally trying to aggravate another player's injury .................
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:36 am

No Worries wrote:Where have I read before about a player intentionally trying to aggravate another player's injury .................

Was it Billy Slater kicking someone in the head?
    dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:02 pm

Why does it seem the barbs and taunts got a little meaner in here over the last week? Are we all (most) bitter about not being in the finals, or is it just the impending boredom of the off season?

Anyway... GF prediction for me is Storm by less than 10 points. A gritty event where the Storm don't let the Sharks get into the game at any stage.

Wouldn't surprise me if Maloney got the CC - he's been in league-best form for most of the season. Looks like someone Queenslanders to grow to hate in the next couple of years, instead of just laughing at him out of hand, because he's a NSW half.
    RandomSil
    RandomSil

Post by RandomSil Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:07 pm

Yeah, I definitely went overboard... I miss Archer ):
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:37 pm

Almost everyone on here hates either Melbourne, Cronulla or both.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:04 pm

Things are no worse than during an origin series in terms of banter.

Cam Smith's grubbiness just riles me particularly because he gets away with it so much and manages to maintain his squeaky clean image. Most other grubs are recognised as such.

It's a shame because he's such a good player
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:41 pm

Milchcow wrote:
    Things are no worse than during an origin series in terms of banter.

Cam Smith's grubbiness just riles me particularly because he gets away with it so much and manages to maintain his squeaky clean image. Most other grubs are recognised as such.

It's a shame because he's such a good player

Yeah that would really shit me to tears..........if it were true
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:47 pm

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

the squeaky clean image or being a good player ?
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:48 pm

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

NRL Finals Week 3 - Page 5 2Q==
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:13 pm

I dont comment on such matters. Not into the tennis style back and forth with ignorance the winner. Hate to get all serious, but genuinely disappointed with some people's comments. Hope some fellow long termers dont hate me for being all cranky.

@comesacrossredneckish.
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:19 pm

Revraiser wrote:I dont comment on such matters. Not into the tennis style back and forth with ignorance the winner. Hate to get all serious, but genuinely disappointed with some people's comments. Hope some fellow long termers dont hate me for being all cranky.

@comesacrossredneckish.
    That's a pretty measured response considering some of the hypocrisy being thrown around Clap
    Dip

Post by Dip Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:22 pm

Sport is supposed to be emotional, hence why it gets narky when the biggest games of the year come along. Without teams and players to "hate", you can't really "love" your favourites as much in comparison.

Personally, I'm a bit cranky because this was supposed to be our year, and in the end we were too poor through the middle third of the season to really be in with much of a show. Sure the Origin was able to numb to pain a little, but it still hurts. Premierships are hard to win. We might not get another chance for years, and in the end we went out in week 2 of the finals and have left my two most unfavourite teams for the grand final.
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:52 pm

Revraiser wrote:I dont comment on such matters. Not into the tennis style back and forth with ignorance the winner. Hate to get all serious, but genuinely disappointed with some people's comments. Hope some fellow long termers dont think I'm trying to steal SI's soft cock award.

@comesacrossredneckish.

Nah mate it's all good, I'm pretty sure voting has closed.
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:03 pm

i never see why any fans like to pretend their favourite player isn't a grub, rugby league is full of them, its part of the fabric of the game, some push it more then others, we all love the players that do it for our team but ultimately every team has them

Cam Smith is a grub, paul gallen is a grub, one is just much stupider about how he goes about it (we all know which )

there are 2 different type of grubs, when ennis was at our club it gave me a pretty great example of it

Josh reynolds - 100% a grub, a loose cannon, when he tries to stir someone up, he gets under his own skin more then oppositions, alot of the time hurts us more then it helps (he has drawn it back a bit the last 12 months)

Mick Ennis - again 100% a grub and while he may give away a few ruck penalties, he knows what he is doing, rarely loses his cool and often forces other players into mistakes because he has got to them
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:05 pm

No Worries wrote:

Nah mate it's all good, I'm pretty sure voting has closed.

lol!

Beer
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:07 pm

The voting didn't even need to open  Very Happy
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:02 pm

leaguegod wrote:i never see why any fans like to pretend their favourite player isn't a grub, rugby league is full of them, its part of the fabric of the game, some push it more then others, we all love the players that do it for our team but ultimately every team has them

Cam Smith is a grub, paul gallen is a grub, one is just much stupider about how he goes about it (we all know which )

there are 2 different type of grubs, when ennis was at our club it gave me a pretty great example of it

Josh reynolds - 100% a grub, a loose cannon, when he tries to stir someone up, he gets under his own skin more then oppositions, alot of the time hurts us more then it helps (he has drawn it back a bit the last 12 months)

Mick Ennis - again 100% a grub and while he may give away a few ruck penalties, he knows what he is doing, rarely loses his cool and often forces other players into mistakes because he has got to them

I'm not sure why I am being labelled as biased in this debate, I'm genuinely calling it how I see it and much like Dip, I tend to hate the Storm anyway.
    Not because of the salary cap cheating more so because of the style of play they employ - it's dour, unimaginative, high percentage football.

I'm happy to call players that I am biased towards as grubs.

For example, Justin Hodges and Josh McGuire.
    Love them but deadset grubs.
    Same with when Ennis played for the Broncos.

I just have never been able to understand the grub call's against Slater and Smith.
    Even when people attempt to explain their reasons, it just comes across as a frivolous justification and mostly appears driven by tall poppy syndrome.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:18 pm

Generally people who "tell it like it is" or "call it as they see it" aren't the sort of people who could be called genuinely unbiased.

Dip

Post by Dip Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:20 pm

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

I just have never been able to understand the grub call's against Slater and Smith.
    Even when people attempt to explain their reasons, it just comes across as a frivolous justification and mostly appears driven by tall poppy syndrome.

Well Slater would be one of the most suspended guys still playing in the comp, though most of those were in the first half of his career, and much of that from when he kicked Skandalis and got 7 weeks for it (makes you realise how much things have changed with the MRC when Kasiano got 2 or 3 weeks), so I can see why he's been labelled a grub. Can't really understand the Cam Smith call though. People seem to equate him questioning the refs better than any other captain as being a grub. I'm not sure how that connection is made. I call it being a good captain.

LG is right about taking ownership of grubs. Hodges and McGuire are/were certainly grubs. They are OUR grubs though, so that's okay. Hodges was the king of being a grub. Funny that sometimes these guys like Ennis and Hodges are also renowned for being players who other players want to play with and look up to. There wouldn't be a more respected player in the Broncos or QLD team amongst team mates in the last decade than Hodges.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:26 pm

Dip wrote:

Well Slater would be one of the most suspended guys still playing in the comp, though most of those were in the first half of his career, and much of that from when he kicked Skandalis and got 7 weeks for it (makes you realise how much things have changed with the MRC when Kasiano got 2 or 3 weeks), so I can see why he's been labelled a grub. Can't really understand the Cam Smith call though. People seem to equate him questioning the refs better than any other captain as being a grub. I'm not sure how that connection is made. I call it being a good captain.

LG is right about taking ownership of grubs. Hodges and McGuire are/were certainly grubs. They are OUR grubs though, so that's okay. Hodges was the king of being a grub. Funny that sometimes these guys like Ennis and Hodges are also renowned for being players who other players want to play with and look up to. There wouldn't be a more respected player in the Broncos or QLD team amongst team mates in the last decade than Hodges.

Yeah as I said, I can't see it with Slater.

A lot of the calls over the years stem from incidents like when he accidentally kicked Klemmer in the chops, which I put down to people never having jumped in the air and caught a ball in their lives.

Or when he would slide in to stop tries, which I never saw as dangerous personally and is actually a good trait IMO.

Anyway it's just my opinion.

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 pm