NRL Fantasy Fanatics



Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

    The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread

    Pain
    Pain

    NFL Dynasty Champion : 2019
    NFL Fantasy L2 Champion : 2019
    Posts : 4320
    Reputation : 1836
    Join date : 2015-07-30

    The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread Empty The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread

    Post by Pain Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:13 pm

    I realised a few years ago that in my life I had somehow never eaten a Parma. Not deliberately, just never happened.

    I've had my fair share of schnitzels and actually lived upstairs from a Schitzel haus in Vienna for some time. But that's only part of the Parma dish.

    Now that this issue has become public I'm keen to remedy it. But I want to make sure it's with a good one.

    Keen to take on your suggestions as to where to go for the best Parma?
    standard-issue
    standard-issue
    Moderator

    Posts : 17666
    Reputation : 6903
    Join date : 2015-08-03

    The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread Empty Re: The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread

    Post by standard-issue Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:23 pm

    Because the Parmy is such an eclectic dish, I'm not sure whether you need the advice of Bogans like me or Hipsters like Filth or Honeysett.  You're in Brisbane right?  Can't help you but the Old Bailey does a wonderful Parmy if you're ever over this way.
    RandomSil
    RandomSil
    Moderator

    Posts : 8984
    Reputation : 2504
    Join date : 2015-01-12
    Age : 29

    The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread Empty Re: The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread

    Post by RandomSil Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:35 pm

    So fun story, I use to use the screen name Parma for videogames and originally a spinoff of that on Sportal originally. That actually stemmed from the back of a chocolate oak carton? You know the carboard containers. Anyway...

    I much like Pain have had chicken schnitzel before, but I have never had a Chicken Parma with all the extras that make it as such. Go figure? I guess it has never appealed to me.


    Oh and I forget the thread it was in, but here is a thing I did. Fence Sitting
    standard-issue
    standard-issue
    Moderator

    Posts : 17666
    Reputation : 6903
    Join date : 2015-08-03

    The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread Empty Re: The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread

    Post by standard-issue Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:25 pm

    Random wrote:So fun story, I use to use the screen name Parma for videogames and originally a spinoff of that on Sportal originally. That actually stemmed from the back of a chocolate oak carton? You know the carboard containers. Anyway...

    I much like Pain have had chicken schnitzel before, but I have never had a Chicken Parma with all the extras that make it as such. Go figure? I guess it has never appealed to me.


    Oh and I forget the thread it was in, but here is a thing I did. Fence Sitting
    So is that where your old username Paramatic came from?
    No Worries
    No Worries
    Moderator

    NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.
    Posts : 9361
    Reputation : 5546
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread Empty Re: The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread

    Post by No Worries Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:36 am

    I'm not a parma fan myself I'm more a snitty guy. But I don't mind the extras. In western Sydney you can't go past the Aussie Snitty at St Mary's Leagues club, comes with bacon, eggs & BBQ sauce.

    Also there is a camping and caravan show with a guy who was a bit part in Full Frontal or the comedy company that goes around the country checking out caravan parks and their thing is rating the local parma.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue
    Moderator

    Posts : 17666
    Reputation : 6903
    Join date : 2015-08-03

    The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread Empty Re: The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread

    Post by standard-issue Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:43 am

    @No Worries wrote:I'm not a parma fan myself I'm more a snitty guy. But I don't mind the extras. In western Sydney you can't go past the Aussie Snitty at St Mary's Leagues club, comes with bacon, eggs & BBQ sauce.

    Also there is a camping and caravan show with a guy who was a bit part in Full Frontal or the comedy company that goes around the country checking out caravan parks and their thing is rating the local parma.
    I'd like to see Milo Kerrigan doing this  Very Happy
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread Empty Re: The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread

    Post by Guest Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:47 am

    The problem with your classic parma is that on any given night the same establishment can deliver completely different parmies.

    Not enough cheese, too little sauce or ham or even a small piece of chicken can all turn a great parmy into an nightmare dining experience.
    Pain
    Pain

    NFL Dynasty Champion : 2019
    NFL Fantasy L2 Champion : 2019
    Posts : 4320
    Reputation : 1836
    Join date : 2015-07-30

    The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread Empty Re: The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread

    Post by Pain Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:45 am

    Bren wrote:The problem with your classic parma is that on any given night the same establishment can deliver completely different parmies.

    Not enough cheese, too little sauce or ham or even a small piece of chicken can all turn a great parmy into an nightmare dining experience.

    Now this is just making me nervous.
    No Worries
    No Worries
    Moderator

    NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.
    Posts : 9361
    Reputation : 5546
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread Empty Re: The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread

    Post by No Worries Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:16 pm

    The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread 2470
    standard-issue
    standard-issue
    Moderator

    Posts : 17666
    Reputation : 6903
    Join date : 2015-08-03

    The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread Empty Re: The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread

    Post by standard-issue Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:26 pm

    Very Happy
    Pain
    Pain

    NFL Dynasty Champion : 2019
    NFL Fantasy L2 Champion : 2019
    Posts : 4320
    Reputation : 1836
    Join date : 2015-07-30

    The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread Empty Re: The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread

    Post by Pain Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:44 pm


    I look a bit like that but with less hair
    filthridden
    filthridden
    Moderator

    Posts : 13973
    Reputation : 7465
    Join date : 2015-09-27

    The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread Empty Re: The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread

    Post by filthridden Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:39 am

    Before I got into keto, after a session of Saturday morning ultimate, we go to the local Irish pub.
    Now, firstly let me set the scene - this is far from a fine-dining establishment. We go there because its a five minute walk from our fields. The ultimate group have been going there for lunch on Saturdays for 3 years or so, originally getting discount food/drinks though this dried up recently due to a change of ownership. Some staff are friendly, even giving us Christmas gifts one year. Some are less friendly and signifcantly less competent.

    My theory is that you will never truly understand the parma until you have eaten a wide range. You must experience the worst before you experience the best.

    The best thing about this Pub is that I swear, each weekend their parma (we get the mini parma which is cheaper and have so far not managed to figure out the difference between the "mini" and the "regular" - pretty sure they are the same thing).

    Changes from week to week include but are not limited to:

    *different salad
    *different size, shape, brand of chips
    *different sized parma/chicken - I've been served one that almost took up half the plate and one that was half the size of that.
    *wide range in amount of ham
    *wide range in amount of sauce

    and so far the best scenario we had was "10 parmas?", "No, we only ordered 8!" "ah fuck, well you've got two for free now."

    Dear diary. Best. Day. Ever.

    We used to get a mini parma with chips and salad plus a soft drink for $10. Great value.
    Now we pay like $13-14 and we were so used to the $10 deal that we consider this a rip off.

    Moral of the story - find your local spot for a parma, find your best recommendations for a parma... experience all of it. Parma is not about the destination, it's about the journey... but also its about the destination.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow
    Moderator

    Posts : 18208
    Reputation : 10189
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread Empty Re: The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread

    Post by Milchcow Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:01 pm

    Not quite a true parma, The Crows Nest Hotel used to schnitzels with a whole variety of toppings. Basically it was pizza, but with a schnitzel base.

    Tremendous. They're undergoing renovations so I haven't been there to eat in a few years, probably doesn't exist any more.

    But eating what was effectively a meat lovers pizza on top of a schnitzel was a culinary highlight.

    White Cockatoo is where you want to go for the Schnitty that hangs off the plate.

    You should be able to find a pub near you that does a decent schnitty for $10, at least for a weekday lunch.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett
    Moderator

    Posts : 7869
    Reputation : 4807
    Join date : 2015-09-28

    The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread Empty Re: The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread

    Post by Honeysett Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:40 pm

    Also before we get started, it's Parmi not Parma.
    avatar
    Oz Sport Mad

    Posts : 1782
    Reputation : 609
    Join date : 2015-09-28

    The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread Empty Re: The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread

    Post by Oz Sport Mad Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:13 pm

    @Honeysett wrote:Also before we get started, it's Parmi not Parma.

    Unsurprising that an emo, craft beer swilling, hipster like yourself would try and wankerfy the spelling of this culinary delight...
    The correct spelling you'll find is in fact 'Parmy' and I refuse to hear otherwise.

    Anyway back to Pain's conundrum.

    What I have found in my travels is actually common to most other dishes, whereby the success (or otherwise) of a classic Parmy is significantly dictated by the setting and general ambiance of the establishment at which said Parmy is being consumed.

    For example, if you were to take two identical Parmy's and eat one at a local surf club and one at a fine dining establishment, you would find that the surf club Parmy would be vastly superior.

    It's merely science.
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread Empty Re: The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread

    Post by Guest Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:49 pm

    There is no "y" in Parmigiana.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue
    Moderator

    Posts : 17666
    Reputation : 6903
    Join date : 2015-08-03

    The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread Empty Re: The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread

    Post by standard-issue Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:01 pm

    This thread is profound.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett
    Moderator

    Posts : 7869
    Reputation : 4807
    Join date : 2015-09-28

    The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread Empty Re: The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread

    Post by Honeysett Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:40 pm

    @Oz Sport Mad wrote:

    Unsurprising that an emo, craft beer swilling, hipster like yourself would try and wankerfy the spelling of this culinary delight...
    The correct spelling you'll find is in fact 'Parmy' and I refuse to hear otherwise.

    Anyway back to Pain's conundrum.

    What I have found in my travels is actually common to most other dishes, whereby the success (or otherwise) of a classic Parmy is significantly dictated by the setting and general ambiance of the establishment at which said Parmy is being consumed.

    For example, if you were to take two identical Parmy's and eat one at a local surf club and one at a fine dining establishment, you would find that the surf club Parmy would be vastly superior.

    It's merely science.

    I'm also part Italian and it's Parmi. Trust bogans to dumb it down.
    avatar
    Oz Sport Mad

    Posts : 1782
    Reputation : 609
    Join date : 2015-09-28

    The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread Empty Re: The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread

    Post by Oz Sport Mad Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:47 pm

    Bren wrote:There is no "y" in Parmigiana.

    There's no "y" in football either but I still call it footy....

    Anyway, like all learned scholar's I investigated this further by conducting a dictionary search and found the following:

    Link

    Parmy
    Slang used for a chicken parmigiana. It's definitely not "Parma."
    Stuart: Hey, let's go get a Parma for dinner.
    Any sane person: I agree, but it's Parmy you cock-juggling thundercunt!
    RandomSil
    RandomSil
    Moderator

    Posts : 8984
    Reputation : 2504
    Join date : 2015-01-12
    Age : 29

    The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread Empty Re: The Parm - E - I -E - I - O Thread

    Post by RandomSil Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:54 am

    Can someone explain to me the actual appeal of a Parmi/Parmy/Parma/Pomeranian?

      Current date/time is Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:43 am