The ref thing with Loz can go a number of ways..
1. We get the same refs and they give NSW some of the 50/50 calls because of the pressure applied
2. We get different refs and they give NSW some of the 50/50 calls because of the pressure applied
1. We get the same refs and they think, fuck you loz, and give QLD all the 50/50 calls (which is what happens now anyway so no harm done)
2. We get different refs and they think, fuck you loz, and give QLD all the 50/50 calls (which is what happens now anyway so no harm done)
Its actually brilliant from Loz - because the worst thing that can happen from it is exactly what happens now anyway. Masterstroke.
Just out of curiosity, what are the 50/50 calls you had a problem with that were made by the on-field refs that Loz is looking to change? Some examples:
1. Walker play the ball called as a knock on instead of a penalty
2. Jennings knock on from the bomb that was called as a QLD knock on (before the video ref over-ruled)
3. Morris no-try that was called a try (before the video ref over-ruled)
4. Gallen high tackle that lead to the penalty goal
5. Jennings knock on in-goal that was called against QLD resulting in a drop out
6. Gagai play the ball that was called play on
7. Cordner try where the passed was ruled okay by the on field ref
8. Thaiday lost ball called a knock on rather than a strip by Moloney
Of all of those, the only calls that I think went against NSW by the on-field ref was the Gallen penalty, and some argument over the Gagai decision. I think pretty much everyone agrees the Walker call was actually a good call (and one which we want to see more often in the NRL). The Morris try was an incorrect call in NSW favour. The Jennings knock on was an incorrect call in NSW favour. Moloney pass to Cordner was ruled in favour of NSW, and the Jennings knock on that was overruled by the video ref was called in NSW favour. The Thaiday knock on was called in NSW favour too.
Personally i reckon if I was a NSWman if I had any complaint it'd be against the video ref, and I'd be trying to get the former NSW 18th man appointed for game 2.
Of course there are probably more that I welcome you to add, given I acknowledge that I usually only remember the calls that go against my team. I just don't see how people can say the refs were against NSW. Pretty much every argument I've heard has basically gone "Yeah it was the right call, but that often goes the other way in the NRL". That's not a great argument, and also makes no sense. Of course the refs make more bad calls in the NRL because instead of having 2 of the best refs, you might have the 15th and 16th best refs making the calls. That's why those guys were selected. It'd be like saying QLD were lucky to win because Boyd had a good game, and in the NRL Will Zillman might not have made the same plays from fullback.