NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

How many points will parra lose

Poll

How many points will nrl deduct from parra ?

[ 0 ]
    How many points will parra lose  - Page 10 Bar_left0%How many points will parra lose  - Page 10 Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 2 ]
    How many points will parra lose  - Page 10 Bar_left25%How many points will parra lose  - Page 10 Bar_right [25%] 
    [ 2 ]
    How many points will parra lose  - Page 10 Bar_left25%How many points will parra lose  - Page 10 Bar_right [25%] 
    [ 1 ]
    How many points will parra lose  - Page 10 Bar_left13%How many points will parra lose  - Page 10 Bar_right [13%] 
    [ 1 ]
    How many points will parra lose  - Page 10 Bar_left13%How many points will parra lose  - Page 10 Bar_right [13%] 
    [ 2 ]
    How many points will parra lose  - Page 10 Bar_left24%How many points will parra lose  - Page 10 Bar_right [24%] 

Total Votes: 8
    Poll closed
    Pieman
    Pieman

How many points will parra lose  - Page 10 Empty Re: How many points will parra lose

Post by Pieman Tue May 10, 2016 12:47 pm

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

Agreed - Sydney sides have a massive advantage over the rest of the comp.

Teams like say the Broncos should get some sort of salary cap concession to account for this discrepancy.
    They probably already do.

But sure, Sydney teams not too far from the CBD (Roosters/Souths) do have a slight advantage over a side like the broncos in regards to travel.

Teams like Newcastle, Canberra, Penrith, Cronulla and the Dragons (based at Woolongong) would have an ever so slight advantage over brisbane but not much. Not to mention the fact that all those sides bar Canberra (and possibly Newcastle) have to get to sydney to then fly brisbane/GC/townsville/nz - so thats a disadvantage there.

Hell even getting from Manly to the city can take over an hour when the traffic bad - which is every day.
    Same with the doggies and belmore.
    Traffic from leichardt to the city can be a fucking nightmare too.
    Try getting from Parra to cronulla in under an hour and a half when its busy... or cronulla to the city. Cronulla to Manly... fuck that.
    Not to mention when sides move their games to gosford or NZ or to Darwin or what ever.

A side like Melbourne has a pretty even travel schedule to brisbane too. Same with the GC - GC is prob worse, because trust me if its cheaper to fly a side from Brisbane to syd, the club will go from brisbane every time.

The teams with real travel disadvantages are the Cowboys and warriors - but to compensate they get a lot of saturday night games with longer turnarounds (I assume).

I guarantee any team in the league would swap places with brisbane tho to be a one city team in a league mad state - to gain all the benefits that come along with that. I bet most of the time Broncos players sleep in their own bed after a game anyway, they would shower hit the bus and go straight to the airport from the game a lot of the time.
    Pieman
    Pieman

How many points will parra lose  - Page 10 Empty Re: How many points will parra lose

Post by Pieman Tue May 10, 2016 12:48 pm

SI wrote:

Do you mean the SG Ball side mate?
    Nope

In the 2009 Bundaberg Red Cup the Reds were winless until the back-end of the season when they won 3 of their 4 last games, giving them something to build on for the next season. Darwin Rugby League product Aaron Barnes was named the Reds' player of the year.[4] Unfortunately for financial reasons the Reds snr team was withdrawn from the Bundy Cup for 2010.

Should have said the WA Reds
    Dip

Post by Dip Tue May 10, 2016 12:52 pm

Pieman wrote:

I think you are underestimating it slightly.
    For starters, they have to get to the team bus that would then take the brisbane side to the airport.
    They get a flight to sydney (quicker than driving from the CBD to penrith)
    They then have to get a bus from the airport to where ever they are playing.

Teams do occasionally fly from say Sydney to Canberra or Newcastle to Canberra, but most of the time they get the bus because its fucking heaps cheaper and flying from sydney to canberra is not actually that much faster driving (when you take into account getting luggage and busses to and from the airport etc)

Yeah sorry I meant more the Penrith to Cronulla and around Sydney scenario. Catching a bus to Canberra/Newy would definately be much harder than the usual around Sydney stuff, but Sydney teams also do that between 0-2 times a year, compared to 11 for Brisbane. Newy and Canberra obviously do it more often. I'd estimate 4-6 times a year.
    Dip

Post by Dip Tue May 10, 2016 1:01 pm

Pieman wrote:
    They probably already do.

But sure, Sydney teams not too far from the CBD (Roosters/Souths) do have a slight advantage over a side like the broncos in regards to travel.

Teams like Newcastle, Canberra, Penrith, Cronulla and the Dragons (based at Woolongong) would have an ever so slight advantage over brisbane but not much. Not to mention the fact that all those sides bar Canberra (and possibly Newcastle) have to get to sydney to then fly brisbane/GC/townsville/nz - so thats a disadvantage there.

Hell even getting from Manly to the city can take over an hour when the traffic bad - which is every day.
    Same with the doggies and belmore.
    Traffic from leichardt to the city can be a fucking nightmare too.
    Try getting from Parra to cronulla in under an hour and a half when its busy... or cronulla to the city. Cronulla to Manly... fuck that.
    Not to mention when sides move their games to gosford or NZ or to Darwin or what ever.

A side like Melbourne has a pretty even travel schedule to brisbane too. Same with the GC - GC is prob worse, because trust me if its cheaper to fly a side from Brisbane to syd, the club will go from brisbane every time.

The teams with real travel disadvantages are the Cowboys and warriors - but to compensate they get a lot of saturday night games with longer turnarounds (I assume).

I guarantee any team in the league would swap places with brisbane tho to be a one city team in a league mad state - to gain all the benefits that come along with that. I bet most of the time Broncos players sleep in their own bed after a game anyway, they would shower hit the bus and go straight to the airport from the game a lot of the time.

Given Jetstar are the major sponsors of the Titans, I doubt they don't fly out of Melbourne. Perhaps that's the whole sponsorship deal lol.

When comparing it to the only other city which has a strong rugby league base, a million + people in the NRL (the Warriors), if that is the norm, then Brisbane is doing extremely well. In fact, since teams came into the comp where flying was necessary, those teams have only won 9 premierships, 6 of them by the Broncos.

I would be interested in finding out if the Broncos fly back same night. I'm sure the would want to for the recovery session etc. I guess it would depend where they play. You'd think if they were playing Penrith they wouldn't. Keep in mind we don't play day games either, so if we are playing at say ANZ with a 8pm kickoff, even if they do fly back, by the time they do press etc they're not on the plane before midnight, and it's probably 3am by the time they hit the pillow. If that's the case it makes the 7 day turnaround myth a farce. You're really only getting 6 every second week if you fly back next day. (Even if we did actually have 7 day turnarounds).
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Tue May 10, 2016 1:19 pm

Broncos and Cowboys both stay at pullman after ANZ games, atleast they have on atleast 1 occassion lol, we've seen them having breaky the next day when we've decided to stay
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Tue May 10, 2016 1:49 pm

Curfew at Sydney airport is 11pm - so they ain't flying anywhere.
    Ice

Post by Ice Tue May 10, 2016 2:04 pm

Ok, time to start a new thread for this debate about travel etc, if people really believe it a relevant topic, which to be honest, I don't. As Ryno said, swings and roundabouts on a whole range of issues.

Can we get this topic back onto the shitness of Parra please.....oh wait.......
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Tue May 10, 2016 2:17 pm

Parramatta had to cheat the cap to win the spoon. That's pretty impressive. Can't even cheat the cap right.
    filthridden
    filthridden

Post by filthridden Tue May 10, 2016 2:26 pm

Your Name wrote:Parramatta had to cheat the cap to win the spoon. That's pretty impressive. Can't even cheat the cap right.

They should forfeit the spoon and give it to the rightful owners who finished 15th that year! Wink
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Tue May 10, 2016 2:45 pm

filthridden wrote:
    Your Name wrote:Parramatta had to cheat the cap to win the spoon. That's pretty impressive. Can't even cheat the cap right.

They should forfeit the spoon and give it to the rightful owners who finished 15th that year! Wink

affraid

Well played.

Post by Guest Tue May 10, 2016 2:52 pm

filthridden wrote:

I can't recall which shithouse club that was?
    Ice

Post by Ice Tue May 10, 2016 5:05 pm

See, this is much better...................
    Dip

Post by Dip Wed May 11, 2016 11:11 am

Well I assume they could get one player off the books immediately without having to negotiate with another club.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/parramatta-eels-star-junior-paulo-uses-fake-name-to-play-park-rugby-union-breaches-nrl-contract/news-story/bbc3aa9d98111ad7b051f013c3159030
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Wed May 11, 2016 11:16 am

Dip wrote:Well I assume they could get one player off the books immediately without having to negotiate with another club.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/parramatta-eels-star-junior-paulo-uses-fake-name-to-play-park-rugby-union-breaches-nrl-contract/news-story/bbc3aa9d98111ad7b051f013c3159030

Complete lunacy.
    Ice

Post by Ice Wed May 11, 2016 11:18 am

Dip wrote:Well I assume they could get one player off the books immediately without having to negotiate with another club.

This is excellent news. I rate Paulo and he has been awesome for us, but given we are losing him next year, I don't understand why he isn't being the guy pushed out over Peats. My guess is if we moved him on early, we'd still be paying some of his contract and that wouldn't be enough to get us out of trouple, but now that he has breached his contract, we just have to be ruthless and tear it up and send him on his way.
    Dip

Post by Dip Wed May 11, 2016 11:41 am

Ice wrote:

This is excellent news.  I rate Paulo and he has been awesome for us, but given we are losing him next year, I don't understand why he isn't being the guy pushed out over Peats. My guess is if we moved him on early, we'd still be paying some of his contract and that wouldn't be enough to get us out of trouple, but now that he has breached his contract, we just have to be ruthless and tear it up and send him on his way.

I agree totally. Not to mention that he has let his team mates down by playing. What if he got injured? Try explaining that to Brad Arthur.

Only thing which might hinder them is if there is some sort of process they need to go through under the contract before firing them (e.g. has opportunity to to appeal within xx days). We've seen the legal case Carney has brought against Cronulla for the process they took firing him. Presumably the NRL would also need to deregister his contract for it to be excluded. Having said that, I think the NRL would be on Parra's side here and would do what they could to try to help. It is in the NRL's interest to have Parra playing for points as soon as possible.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Wed May 11, 2016 11:44 am

Parra fans will be frothing and it will have serious repercussions for Paulo.....but I love hearing about these stories.

I know these blokes are paid big bucks and he could have been injured, or injured someone else (I'm bloody surprised he didn't actually).....but fuck it, as long as it didn't have a big impact on the result of the game then I'm all for it.
    Good on him

Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Wed May 11, 2016 11:47 am

Dip wrote:

I agree totally. Not to mention that he has let his team mates down by playing. What if he got injured? Try explaining that to Brad Arthur.

Only thing which might hinder them is if there is some sort of process they need to go through under the contract before firing them (e.g. has opportunity to to appeal within xx days). We've seen the legal case Carney has brought against Cronulla for the process they took firing him. Presumably the NRL would also need to deregister his contract for it to be excluded. Having said that, I think the NRL would be on Parra's side here and would do what they could to try to help. It is in the NRL's interest to have Parra playing for points as soon as possible.

Undoubtedly would be a process - but given it is merely an admin issue (the salary cap breach and the sacking) I would have thought that instigating the process would be sufficient enough for the NRL.
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Wed May 11, 2016 11:59 am

He's breached contract but a tear up over first offence will see the eels in court. The court payout wont be for 12 months and by then they have been playing for points.

Then you can add that payout to the Hoppa one which will have to be included in the cap for 2017 and the Eels will have 25 players on minimum wage as their top tier cap.
    Ice

Post by Ice Wed May 11, 2016 12:06 pm

Your Name wrote:He's breached contract but a tear up over first offence will see the eels in court. The court payout wont be for 12 months and by then they have been playing for points.

Then you can add that payout to the Hoppa one which will have to be included in the cap for 2017 and the Eels will have 25 players on minimum wage as their top tier cap.

I think you have to see down with Paulo and say "Maaaate, massive error, and we can drag this out and your teammates will suffer and Peats will get shafted, or you can agree to cop your medicine and make a clean start with the Raiders ASAP and maintain the respect of your current crew. Take one for the team like Watmough."

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:13 pm