NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NZ Warriors 2016 Thread

NZ Warriors 2016 Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: NZ Warriors 2016 Thread

Post by Guest Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:15 pm

To be fair to win against the Broncos and Storm their spine would need to click and produce straight away, throw in that the Warriors are always talked up as slow starters and you have a Coach halfway out the door before the season has started.
    Dip

Post by Dip Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:28 pm

Rippin and Tearin wrote:How are you fullahs feeling about the Warriors? I reckon if we don't beat Melbourne this weekend McFadden (if he's not already) will be effectively gone. There have been massive rumours circulating for some time now that Clearly is all but signed up and its just a matter of time.

For me the problem with the Warriors is simply they can't/refuse to tackle, and players like Vatuvaei, Hurrell, Kata etc are too much of a liability when more than one play in the same starting line-up. The Warriors edge defence has to be sorted out otherwise they will struggle in the NRL and one has to think there is an issue with attitude as well. Finally Shaun Johnson disappoints me. He's no longer a young kid in NRL terms. He needs to step up both on and off the field. He gives the impression that he is happy being a good exciting player and is not particularly interested in putting in the work to be one of the games greats. I think the Warriors need him to be the later.

I'm hoping we come right, but fear a change of coach and a lot of passing the buck is imminent. We have the squad to be a top 4 team but are playing and acting like a bottom 4 team.

Thoughts?

Tough judge on SJ IMO. After winning the Golden Boot he gets his team into the top 4 until he breaks his leg. Then is quiet in his first 2 games from a broken leg while playing in a new position. I'm personally prepared to give him a bit longer before I criticise him.
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:02 pm

Dip wrote:

Tough judge on SJ IMO. After winning the Golden Boot he gets his team into the top 4 until he breaks his leg. Then is quiet in his first 2 games from a broken leg while playing in a new position. I'm personally prepared to give him a bit longer before I criticise him.

Its all relative though right? I once thought Johnson could become one of the games greats. My disappointment in him is relative to those expectations. I don't believe he plays to his full potential and for me the Warriors need that to be successful.
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:16 am

Last chance for McFadden this week?

The Warriors were actually pretty good (I thought) against the Storm last week. They should probably have closed out that game and hence be on the board this season. However that was not to be, 0-3, and surely this is crunch time for McFadden. I'm not saying he will be gone after this match if they lose, but I reckon he will effectively be gone and it will just be a matter of weeks before Cleary is brought in...

Thoughts?

Also what's the deal with Luke? The dude turned up a bit over weight and not able to play the minutes he was at Souths, now dealing with subsequent injuries. Its a bit of a shame coming from a seasoned pro like him.... We really needed him to be all guns blazing from the start!
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:01 am

For me the first min or so of this video pretty much encapsulates the Warriors for me. Players who dont turn up to the regular season ready to go, players who seem to have attitude problems and big questions surrounding team culture, management, and coaches as to how they allow this kind of stuff to happen.

Glad they won on the weekend, and hope they can double up this week. But very concerned that one of our big signings doesn't really look that interested at the moment.
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:57 am

so apparently we're trading lane for RFM

thoughts on RFM lads ?

Lane showed heaps of attacking promise on the edge last year, his lankiness (is that a word lol) lead to a fair few defensive errors but there is a player there. fell behind a few during the pre season (elliot, L perret and fualolo) but still surprised we've let him go, could be the long term replacement for the hoff on the left for you guys
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:25 pm

Rippin and Tearin wrote:
    For me the first min or so of this video pretty much encapsulates the Warriors for me. Players who dont turn up to the regular season ready to go, players who seem to have attitude problems and big questions surrounding team culture, management, and coaches as to how they allow this kind of stuff to happen.

Glad they won on the weekend, and hope they can double up this week. But very concerned that one of our big signings doesn't really look that interested at the moment.

So apparently Luke's baby had some pretty bad health issues. McFadden says the way he conducted the interview was unacceptable but that personal issues relating to the birth of his child are why he behaved the way he did and nothing to do with being unhappy at the club.
    Dip

Post by Dip Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:37 pm

I have a feeling every journalist in the game knows enough about his child's health issues but have chosen not to publish it (which is actually admirable for a change), but to push the question further after he said it wasn't a leg injury issue when he probably knew what the answer was, was a cunt act in my opinion.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:21 pm

Dip wrote:I have a feeling every journalist in the game knows enough about his child's health issues but have chosen not to publish it (which is actually admirable for a change), but to push the question further after he said it wasn't a leg injury issue when he probably knew what the answer was, was a cunt act in my opinion.

If they know what the issue was they shouldn't be anywhere near him for an interview. You leave them alone. Hope all goes well for Bully. People should take a step back at times like these and appreciate what they have and how lucky they are instead of trying to selling papers
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:53 pm

Dip wrote:I have a feeling every journalist in the game knows enough about his child's health issues but have chosen not to publish it (which is actually admirable for a change), but to push the question further after he said it wasn't a leg injury issue when he probably knew what the answer was, was a cunt act in my opinion.

journalist in the game knows enough about his child's health issues but have chosen not to publish it

A lot of this actually happens

to push the question further after he said it wasn't a leg injury issue when he probably knew what the answer was, was a cunt act

Unfortunately so does this
    EvenSteeden
    EvenSteeden

Post by EvenSteeden Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:28 pm

leaguegod wrote:so apparently we're trading lane for RFM

thoughts on RFM lads ?

Lane showed heaps of attacking promise on the edge last year, his lankiness (is that a word lol) lead to a fair few defensive errors but there is a player there. fell behind a few during the pre season (elliot, L perret and fualolo) but still surprised we've let him go, could be the long term replacement for the hoff on the left for you guys

I like this trade, if it does happen.

RFM needs a bit more structure to reach his potential and sure he'll do well under Hasler. At the Warriors I feel he'll be in the 17 long term but will just exist more than anything else. Plus there were rumours since the end of last year he was gone (contracted under end of this year).

Haven't seen too much of Lane, but he's got good wraps on him and seems like he's got a good work ethic/attitude/mental toughness
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:28 am

Yeah, I heard Allen Mac on the radio a couple days after this went down. I think I heard correctly when he said that he did intact know about Luke's baby's health situation. Hence I agree with you, it shouldn't have been pushed. I also think given the circumstances Luke shouldn't have been in front of the media at all - not sure why he was. Anyway it seems all has been put to bed now. And for that matter Luke looked much better on the field yesterday - still a little slow to the ruck at times but definitely looking like he is getting back to form.

With that said, I really think the Warriors are a shot this year. They certainly have the talent and if they can sort the D out, which might be a long shot) then if they can just build throughout the year they should be a real force.

The game against Sydney had glimpses of brilliance but also periods of the "same old Warriors". One or the other will come out on top 50-50 I reckon, but if they can string things together I think they are one of the few teams that will be able to challenge the likes of NQ and the Broncos come the business end of the comp.
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:09 am

More embarrassment for the Warriors:
    https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/sport/league/six-warriors-including-vatuvei-matulino-axed-in-disciplinary-move-missing-review-42-0-melbourne-thrashing
    Beast From The Big East
    Beast From The Big East

Post by Beast From The Big East Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:47 am

It's just so frustrating watching the Warriors because you know there is the potential for so much more. Yes you can say that about any club, but if you were truly honest, there are only a handful of teams you could say right now have the ability and team to go out and match the likes Broncos and Cowboys in the finals. Yes all teams regardless of ladder position, maybe not the Knights (sorry Honeysett Laugh 3 ) can match any team on their day but most would need a lot to go there way. The Warriors on the other hand are just all attitude. They don't need the bounce of the ball here, or the other team to have an off day. The ability to play and rack up points at will is something the Warriors will always have and as proven in the past in finals series (Melbourne prelim a few years back) they can play a winning brand of finals footy. There is so much potential there to play a completely different game than what the others teams are but there is just such a lack of effort and cohesion.
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:42 pm

Beast From The Big East wrote:It's just so frustrating watching the Warriors because you know there is the potential for so much more. Yes you can say that about any club, but if you were truly honest, there are only a handful of teams you could say right now have the ability and team to go out and match the likes Broncos and Cowboys in the finals. Yes all teams regardless of ladder position, maybe not the Knights (sorry Honeysett Laugh 3 ) can match any team on their day but most would need a lot to go there way. The Warriors on the other hand are just all attitude. They don't need the bounce of the ball here, or the other team to have an off day. The ability to play and rack up points at will is something the Warriors will always have and as proven in the past in finals series (Melbourne prelim a few years back) they can play a winning brand of finals footy. There is so much potential there to play a completely different game than what the others teams are but there is just such a lack of effort and cohesion.

It really is tough to see them capitulating SO badly AGAIN!

It is hard to get a handle on what is going wrong, but I think it is more than just the attitude culture thing. I believe they need to focus their game plan around the core strengths of NZ league players, then buy the type of players required to support that game plan. My favourite Warriors team was that of 2002. They had fantastic ball playing 2nd rowers and a great playmaker, but had some core guys surrounding them including props that did the hard yards well, and key experienced guys that made sure everything was professional etc. The other Warriors team that I liked was the year when they brought in Wiki and Price and that go forward was pretty much was the foundation for everything else.

So on top of culture, I reckon the game plan is wrong and the pieces of the puzzle to support it, in particular the big boppers up front. Is that gonna change anytime soon??? They might be abel to work on the culture, and maybe with a new coach get the game plan on track, but I don't know how they solve the propping problem. Is there anyone out there to bring in?? Cause it doesn't look like the cattle are in the squad already!
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:36 pm

Beast From The Big East wrote:It's just so frustrating watching the Warriors because you know there is the potential for so much more. Yes you can say that about any club, but if you were truly honest, there are only a handful of teams you could say right now have the ability and team to go out and match the likes Broncos and Cowboys in the finals. Yes all teams regardless of ladder position, maybe not the Knights (sorry Honeysett Laugh 3 ) can match any team on their day but most would need a lot to go there way. The Warriors on the other hand are just all attitude. They don't need the bounce of the ball here, or the other team to have an off day. The ability to play and rack up points at will is something the Warriors will always have and as proven in the past in finals series (Melbourne prelim a few years back) they can play a winning brand of finals footy. There is so much potential there to play a completely different game than what the others teams are but there is just such a lack of effort and cohesion.

You've made a powerful enemy today my friend

NZ Warriors 2016 Thread - Page 3 424758
    Beast From The Big East
    Beast From The Big East

Post by Beast From The Big East Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:53 pm

Honeysett wrote:

You've made a powerful enemy today my friend

NZ Warriors 2016 Thread - Page 3 424758

Can't wait till the Knights play the Warriors. How does the game pan out when one team can't do anything to get a win and the other does everything they can to lose
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:57 pm

Beast From The Big East wrote:

Can't wait till the Knights play the Warriors. How does the game pan out when one team can't do anything to get a win and the other does everything they can to lose
    The knights beat the Tigers
    Beast From The Big East
    Beast From The Big East

Post by Beast From The Big East Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:03 pm

Rippin and Tearin wrote:

It really is tough to see them capitulating SO badly AGAIN!

It is hard to get a handle on what is going wrong, but I think it is more than just the attitude culture thing. I believe they need to focus their game plan around the core strengths of NZ league players, then buy the type of players required to support that game plan. My favourite Warriors team was that of 2002. They had fantastic ball playing 2nd rowers and a great playmaker, but had some core guys surrounding them including props that did the hard yards well, and key experienced guys that made sure everything was professional etc. The other Warriors team that I liked was the year when they brought in Wiki and Price and that go forward was pretty much was the foundation for everything else.

So on top of culture, I reckon the game plan is wrong and the pieces of the puzzle to support it, in particular the big boppers up front. Is that gonna change anytime soon??? They might be abel to work on the culture, and maybe with a new coach get the game plan on track, but I don't know how they solve the propping problem. Is there anyone out there to bring in?? Cause it doesn't look like the cattle are in the squad already!

couldn't agree more mate. the game plan just seems off. they are constantly stuck trying to play structured at all times and playing "Warrior ball" that it inevitably goes wrong. Will be harder this season with RTS out but the game plan for this season should have been simple. Do the hard yards and then let your spine create when you are in the right position. But a lot of that comes back to the culture. One thing I often notice watching the games is that the Warriors defensive line always looks slow compared to other teams. Very rarely will it come up hard and fast and try to restrict yards like other teams. If you are constantly getting the ball from kick returns near your goalline as you can't limit the opponents yardage you will find it hard to force pressure yourself. That means that on the 4th and 5th guys like SJ are getting themselves in a position to punt out of their territory rather than looking for a set move with RTS with the defence protecting their line.

But the props is a big problem. Besides Lillyman, there is a major lack of do the hard yards type attitude a team like the Warriors need. Matulino is too bothered with trying to put a step on and get an offload, while the likes of Vete and Lisone think they can just run into an opponent like in junior level and their sheer size means they win each matchup. As much as they aren't the marque types some fans feel they are entitled to, the Warriors need some solid ball runners like Mannah, Vaughan, Tolman who will run at the line every minute of the match if need be. Just some straight solid running to get a platform and some yardage.
    Beast From The Big East
    Beast From The Big East

Post by Beast From The Big East Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:05 pm

Krump wrote:
    The knights beat the Tigers

Not that great of a claim to be fair

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:57 am