NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs

leaguegod

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs - Page 14 Empty Re: Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs

Post by leaguegod Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:16 am

its a good team on paper for sure, they've also still got a few players who are yet to really establish themselves who are fairly highly rated that could only improve how we see their list

i've got them missing the 8 because i think there may be some fire to the smoke regarding the off field stuff, i think hook will struggle to keep his job the whole year and it may even be the season that gus falls on his sword if they struggle
    ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Post by ryno_ Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:55 am

leaguegod wrote:its a good team on paper for sure, they've also still got a few players who are yet to really establish themselves who are fairly highly rated that could only improve how we see their list

i've got them missing the 8 because i think there may be some fire to the smoke regarding the off field stuff, i think hook will struggle to keep his job the whole year and it may even be the season that gus falls on his sword if they struggle

Gus is what, 8 years into his 5 year plan? No results yet.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:43 pm

THE Canterbury club is today in mourning following the shock and sudden death of former forward and coach Steve Folkes.

Folkes is understood to have passed away from a heart attack earlier today while cycling.

The news has devastated the Bulldogs family and all rugby league fans.

Bulldogs CEO Andrew Hill released a statement this afternoon after news of Folkes death broke.

“The club is shocked and saddened at the news of the passing of Bulldogs legend Steve Folkes.
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:20 am

i was pretty young, but remember moments of being a very young fan from 94-97 but folkesy era as coach and that magical 98' run was kid of the beginning of myself falling in love with the club and understanding its history

the clubs started slowly taking steps away from its foundations when he was let go, a decade later, we're trying to claw our way back there

always admired him as a coach, old games ik have seen, he seemed like a pretty tough unit who played at the highest level in a position where he was clearly not as big physically. Which considering the toughness shown by many in the 80's is pretty telling at just how tough he was.

today apparently marks 5 years since his wife passed away, feel for his kids

RIP Folkesy
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:32 am

I met him around 2010 at the Tigers and he was a really nice down to earth bloke.
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:49 pm

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Guess Tolman is staying now.

The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs and Mosese Suli have today agreed to part company.

Both parties sat down this week and decided that it was in the best interests of the club and the individual if they parted ways.

Bulldogs Chief Executive Andrew Hill said the time was right for the decision to be made: "Right from the start the Bulldogs were committed to giving Mosese every opportunity to fulfill his potential and become part of the Bulldogs. Unfortunately, Mosese has not been able to adapt to the high standards that Dean and the coaching staff have asked from all players and as such we think that it is in the best interests of both parties if we part ways. This is not the end for Mosese as a footballer and if he can regain the desire and drive to reach the standards required then I believe that he can still be successful. The club wishes him all the best going forward."

Moses agreed that the time was right for a change: "I think that it is right for me and the Bulldogs that I take some time away from the game to re-assess what the future holds for me. I want to thank the Bulldogs for the opportunity that they have given me and I leave the club with no hard feelings whatsoever."
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:55 pm

Lol
    Moose
    Moose

Post by Moose Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:03 pm

Bulldogs real reason for releasing Suli is so they will have enough left in the bank to sign SBW.

Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:16 pm

amazing..
    so I assume he is being paid by both the tigers and bulldogs now and for the next years and wont lace up a boot ever again
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:29 pm

Pieman wrote:amazing..
    so I assume he is being paid by both the tigers and bulldogs now and for the next  years and wont lace up a boot ever again

Nah, surely they have clauses in their contracts about not meeting KPI's as well? I doubt the Dogs would have released him after a couple of weeks if they had to pay him and not have his services in ISP.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:45 pm

Im sure they would have come to an agreement - but surely both are paying a sizeable amount to fuck off
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:25 pm

Pieman wrote:Im sure they would have come to an agreement - but surely both are paying a sizeable amount to fuck off

Haha, dunno. I guess there may be a pro rata system. But at the end of the day, if you or I don't meet kpi's (eg attend training and/or attend training on time) then after a warning or two we can be sent packing without recourse either.

Not sure how it works in professional sport though. This sounds like a stupid question, but do they have a probationary period like the vast majority of the rest of us? I can let someone go within the first 6 months without any recourse against me from them in my line of work; on the proviso I can show I have given them the resources to improve.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:26 pm

And as a Pieman-if you are disciplined at work do you receive a "warming" not a warning Very Happy ?
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:03 pm

It’s already been reported by a few reporters that he won’t be getting paid anything further from either club

In all honesty, I hope the club doesn’t give up on him even if he doesn’t play ever again, to not learn his lesson after being shown the door by the tigers a month ago shows there is aomthing wrong with the kid. The last thing anyone wants to hear is that depression sets in and he does somthing much worse then not commuting to his footy career
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:34 pm

leaguegod wrote:It’s already been reported by a few reporters that he won’t be getting paid anything further from either club

In all honesty, I hope the club doesn’t give up on him even if he doesn’t play ever again, to not learn his lesson after being shown the door by the tigers a month ago shows there is aomthing wrong with the kid. The last thing anyone wants to hear is that depression sets in and he does somthing much worse then not commuting to his footy career

Yeah, good call mate. The frustrating thing is that you would think both our clubs would have made sure he is okay from that side of things, not just the physical side of it.
    wizard333

Post by wizard333 Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:29 pm

Don't know if he burnt all his bridges as an Eels junior but he could be a cheap "project".
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:35 am

of course any decent person would hope that he either changes his attitude and works hard and gets picked up or a club invests in him. He is the kind of guy you would like to see a Bennett, Arthur or Bellamy get their hands on.

While he is obviously mostly to blame - He is a victim of his own success - being paid so much cash so early on in his career without proving anything. The NRL/tigers fucked him by setting him up a bit to fail IMO. I wonder if they noted this 18 year old getting paid a stupid amount and provided him with appropriate supports and opportunities for dealing with the pressure and expectation that comes with big coin, as well as managing or monitoring how he spends it. Also, They police underpaying players (sometimes), do they police overpaying players??

If its been reported ... ok ... ? I do find it very hard to believe that they can just sack him for not being fit enough without paying him some form of severance. Do they sack the scout for bringing him in too? Do they sack the trainer for not getting him fit enough?

Who knows if there are KPI's or probationary periods - personally I dont think there would be for a lot of players. Its not like he wasnt sought after.

Club x: Hey here is 400k but if you dont meet x within 6 months you are fired
    Club z: Hey heard about that kpi clause, here is 375k and there is no kpi
    That kind of thing. A lot of people would be taking the second option IMO.
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:57 am

its not jsut for not being fit enough pieman, its for turning up late to training on multiple occasions

clubs can sack players for any breach of contract, not everything has to be about players getting caught with drugs etc not turning up to training on time etc would absolutely be a breach of contract and he had already had 2 warnings before he was sacked
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:58 am

SI wrote:

Yeah, good call mate.  The frustrating thing is that you would think both our clubs would have made sure he is okay from that side of things, not just the physical side of it.

I imagine they have, but its more that they probably both should continue to make sure he is okay because one day he'll realize what mistake he has made and thats when he could hit rock bottom

MrCashman
    MrCashman

Post by MrCashman Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:33 am

Suli turned up to training late on many occasions with a bucket of KFC tucked under his arm lol

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:17 pm