NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2023 Mattnz team thoughts and tracker

Cap'n Ranta
    Cap'n Ranta

2023 Mattnz team thoughts and tracker - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023 Mattnz team thoughts and tracker

Post by Cap'n Ranta Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:09 pm

Unlucky on Hopgood (c)

Remember you posting about getting Kiraz and Fifita in. Definitely fits your play style (going for the win). Just feel like pointing out it’s an asymmetric risk profile.

I prefer your old option of not Fifita. With the way EDG is going this is a real luxury trade that has a bye after two games.

This definitely could work out but it’s incredibly risky. Plus the original halves/CTR strengthening that covered HSS and Trindall/Katoa has 1k to work with.

Fifita over Butcher/Preston is 0 - 40 point upgrade this week.

Reynolds/SJ over Katoa is a 10-40 point upgrade (assuming Trindall has 1-2 games left max)
    Bird over HSS is a 15-20 point upgrade

You are a really helpful poster with a good viewpoint but I think in trying to get ahead of the curve you’ve got a risky punt with limited upside that limits future team flexibility.

It could win you the comp if both guys have a purple patch. Knowing the titans and Bulldogs I don’t think it’s likely. But nothing worse than not going with your own plan. Just know you are a fan of rational arguments and if you are cool with this then do it!
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

2023 Mattnz team thoughts and tracker - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023 Mattnz team thoughts and tracker

Post by mattnz Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:10 pm

Cap'n Ranta wrote:Unlucky on Hopgood (c)

Remember you posting about getting Kiraz and Fifita in. Definitely fits your play style (going for the win). Just feel like pointing out it’s an asymmetric risk profile.

I prefer your old option of not Fifita. With the way EDG is going this is a real luxury trade that has a bye after two games.

This definitely could work out but it’s incredibly risky. Plus the original halves/CTR strengthening that covered HSS and Trindall/Katoa has 1k to work with.

Fifita over Butcher/Preston is 0 - 40 point upgrade this week.

Reynolds/SJ over Katoa is a 10-40 point upgrade (assuming Trindall has 1-2 games left max)
    Bird over HSS is a 15-20 point upgrade

You are a really helpful poster with a good viewpoint but I think in trying to get ahead of the curve you’ve got a risky punt with limited upside that limits future team flexibility.

It could win you the comp if both guys have a purple patch. Knowing the titans and Bulldogs I don’t think it’s likely. But nothing worse than not going with your own plan. Just know you are a fan of rational arguments and if you are cool with this then do it!

Appreciate the thoughts thanks.

I was hoping Hopgood could put up 1 more good week, then was happy for him to shit the bed next week, when I would have had Tohu as captain.

I recognise the difference of team balance, to try to gradually upgrade various positions more evenly and often provide similar advice to others.

Fifita isn't replacing a guy like Preston in my team, he is replacing a guy like May or Boyd, upgrading a score in 30s with a 60+.

I am seeing Kiraz and Fifita as similar buys - both looking like they could have great "base" with a huge upside on their day.

My general thoughts on team formation this season are just to get the best value guys available each week, that can provide that upside.

I am pegging Kiraz at a 45 base average plus tries, linebreaks etc and need to replace Ponga this week.

Not sure how anyone can not get excited about having Fifita in their side, getting a 60 average without any tries and massive line breaks is insane. If he can keep up huge tackle counts, isn't being lazy and getting through work load enough to score 60, without anything special happening, it is just too enticing to pass up. It makes him about 20 points better value than in any other season!!

Will make him easily the highest scoring EDG this season at a bargain price point, as he will also have the huge 80 and 100 games on a regular basis. I was expecting similar from the guy he is replacing in NAS, who I plan to get back in when he returns from injury.

If I can get regular 45s and 60s respectively from Kiraz and Fifita and sometimes they go huge, I don't see how I can go too far wrong. If they both go huge on the same day, I should go up a lot of ranks.

At WFB, I see Miller averaging in the 40s and Warbrick is looking like a 50-60+ guy on his day when he gets a try or 2, for maybe a high 30s average, so I don't feel like I need to upgrade more there right now.

CTRs are a shit show, but if Alamoti can hit 40s on a regular basis and hit 60 when he gets a try, that is 1 spot that I am comfortable with. HSS has decent base, so is a stop gap measure for now. Lemuelu could appear as an upgrade coming up, or Te Whare gets a shot due to injury. Would like Bird at some point, but not an urgent upgrade.

HLF is where I probably most need to upgrade when Trindall loses his spot, or I get lucky and any of Kennedy, Hynes or Moylan get injured (or stay injured), or suspended. Alternatively Boyd may find his feet and start scoring as expected, could run with 40s average from him if that happens.

Hopefully Fifita and Kiraz both have a huge game this week and others realise they need to be trading them in. Would mean I am still a week ahead on trades.

The top 2 trade outs this week are the guys I traded out last week, and already have Tohu, Mahoney and Preston, which is the direction many teams are heading this week, except for Walsh, who I am happy to miss, can't see him averaging in the 50s like he would need to, playing like he did last week, every week to have a chance of that happening.

Another performance like that from Turbo though and I may need to find a way to get him in.

Anyway, I am just looking for the best undervalued season keepers each week, and grabbing them where I see huge base and upside. Both my trade ins this week fit that perfectly.

For now, pretty comfortable running this team, loving the bench strength, which can make up for being slightly light elsewhere.

Carty sticking around for a few weeks is really helpful, 1 less thing to worry about short term.

My weaknesses are currently manageable, and have some flexibility next week if required.

Mahoney
    Tohu Hopgood Cotter
    Butcher Carty
    Douehi Trindall
    Alamoti HSS
    Kiraz Miller Warbrick

Carrigan Tapine Fifita Preston
    Boyd May Katoa Talau
    Cap'n Ranta
    Cap'n Ranta

Post by Cap'n Ranta Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:57 am

All over it. Best of luck.

Like the undervalued keeper angle. HLF is a tough position so hopefully one of your options pans out.

I know Fifita is doing nothing for his average of 60 and had a 70 avg in the 2021 season but that’s Vlandys Ball. I’m not sure he has gone to another level. There is some value there due to his interchange appearances last year though so good luck.
    Boozecluez
    Boozecluez

Post by Boozecluez Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:58 pm

You still doing this? It's a shame if you have given this up already after 4 rounds
    Hope you come back to this and see out the year

mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:52 pm

Contrastinghobby wrote:You still doing this? It's a shame if you have given this up already after 4 rounds
    Hope you come back to this and see out the year

Will see, rank blew out to 10k from injured captain and 2 late outs leaving me playing 16, on top of a heavy injury toll every other week. Been a bit rough.

It would likely be a bitch and moan thread at the moment, trying to stay positive.
    GarethEllisismyDad
    GarethEllisismyDad

Post by GarethEllisismyDad Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:23 pm

bring it back
    Snatchpato
    Snatchpato

Post by Snatchpato Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:20 am

keep going Matt

it wasn't going to be sunshines and rainbows all year, perhaps you've just happened to have your run of rain early in the season. As someone in the financial space you should know better than most that variance is uncontrollable, and that you need to focus on the process not the outcome.

Despite the issues I have with your tone and general lack of empathy for others in the main thread, I've always appreciated your unique way of approaching the game and would still like to read week-to-week.
    Stylebender
    Stylebender

Post by Stylebender Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:04 am

The Floyd Mayweather of Fantasy Fanatics. Whether you hate MattNZ or love MattNZ, we're gonna read his posts every damn time.

Keep posting champ.
    Ando
    Ando

Post by Ando Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:58 pm

Are you grabbing Hynes this week Matt?
    Boozecluez
    Boozecluez

Post by Boozecluez Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:03 am

Edited: discussed in main thread

Last edited by Contrastinghobby on Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Rabbits21
    Rabbits21
    Fanatic

Post by Rabbits21 Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:31 pm

Where is your team tracker mate? Cmon brother do not just stop it as it’s turned to shit mate you’re better than that. It can change quickly. I really love and appreciate how passionate you are about the game mate but going so many left of field picks early time and time again it hasn’t come off everyone likes a pod but don’t go pod heavy as it sets you back too much. I tell myself bring it back to one thing who scores the best mate keep it simple make money as best you can look for cashies and keepers plus fallen guns etc…… I wanna see you up the ranks mate everyone pretty much does.

You were top 1k a few weeks ago now I assume you’re outside the top 10k but don’t just give up mate it’s a marathon not a sprint just man up start the tracker again and say this is where I’m at it’s been a shit two weeks let’s get back on the horse and start a charge back up the ranks.

Plenty have been outside top 15k at this point and still finished top 2000 mate I have faith in you if you narrow it down to who scores best not who is the best pod I can get because more often than not it just doesn’t come off my friend.
    Boozecluez
    Boozecluez

Post by Boozecluez Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:59 pm

2023 Mattnz team thoughts and tracker - Page 3 Giphy
    Enchanted Glossy Flamingo
    Enchanted Glossy Flamingo

Post by Enchanted Glossy Flamingo Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:04 am

I wouldn’t have started with Preston this year unless I read about him here. He’sa big part of me having a decent crack this year and the best go I’ve had since 2019. I wasn’t even going to make a team this year.

Your team was very standard to start the year, unusually safe, and you’ve blown out a bit chasing guys like Kiraz and other genius PODs.

I’m not sure what the purpose of this post is but I hope it helps somehow

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:57 pm