NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2022 Part 73 - Let's go Dark Knight!

easytiger
    easytiger

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2022

NRL Fantasy 2022 Part 73 - Let's go Dark Knight! - Page 47 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 Part 73 - Let's go Dark Knight!

Post by easytiger Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:46 am

robelgordo wrote:

Yeah that exactly where I ended up. Upton, and went Taufa over Boyle and Clydesdale over Cherrington. Mainly cos I think they’ll be less selected. I had Taufa for the 16 and none of the good scores since, funnily enough.

First week picking a centre from NRLM side. Or anyone that isn’t Kelly.

I think Boyle will be considerably more popular than Taufa.
    Clydesdale/Cherrington might be pretty close - I think just go with who you think scores more.

I started the year with Taufa and was intending on just having her as an autopick. It started okay with 62, 42 then that 16 spooked me and I broke the cardinal rule of fantasy and dismissed a LT average for a poor week.
    Naturally I missed the following 79 and 94 - which would've given my team a good nudge forward.

I think a lot of us have just left Kelly as our C - deciding between Crichton, Tago & Penisini seems a bit of a coin toss to me - probably best to just go with the one that's going to score a try.
    easytiger
    easytiger

NRL Fantasy 2022 Part 73 - Let's go Dark Knight! - Page 47 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 Part 73 - Let's go Dark Knight!

Post by easytiger Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:50 am

Something strange has happened in the Mixer rankings.
    The two top teams that had a 200 point lead both seem to have been scrubbed (multiple entries??)

As a result I've jumped to 9th overall and instead of being 250 points behind and no chance, I'm suddenly only 70 points behind and an outside chance.

It's obviously tough to make much of a room with only the 4 teams playing this week, so I'm trying to decide whether there's a half decent POD play that's worth a gamble, or whether it's better to play a straight bat and create a solid base with maybe a Taufa (C) instead of Upton and maybe a Tago/Penisini instead of Crichton?

Any thoughts/ideas?
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:57 am

Milchcow wrote:
    They won't use video ref for forward passes, because if the passer has any decent forward momentum the pass will always travel forward relative to the ground, so you can't use line markings to help with the decision. And although some passes are obviously forward, there are too many where its inconclusive.

i just can't see how anyone could think using the video ref for forward passes would make things better. its still a subjective call by one individual. the blow ups from fans/media would only get worse. its all so tiresome.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:19 am

Milchcow wrote:
    They won't use video ref for forward passes, because if the passer has any decent forward momentum the pass will always travel forward relative to the ground, so you can't use line markings to help with the decision. And although some passes are obviously forward, there are too many where its inconclusive.

Because Moses was traveling towards his own ingoal when he threw his pass its easier to work out (it also looks more forward than it was because Moses' momentum made the ball end up well in front of him), but that is generally not going to be the case

A tracker in the ball measuring momentum, trajectory and pressure (when it leaves hands and when it is causght) should be enough data points to determine a forward pass. Put some fancy AI/ML behind it. Build yourself a core data set and implement. I'm sure it's not that easy, but it isn't rocket science either.
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:05 pm

No Worries wrote:

A tracker in the ball measuring momentum, trajectory and pressure (when it leaves hands and when it is causght) should be enough data points to determine a forward pass. Put some fancy AI/ML behind it. Build yourself a core data set and implement. I'm sure it's not that easy, but it isn't rocket science either.

I dont think this would stop the current idiots who whinge, from continuing to whinge..theyd just say the tracker is wrong. Its fake news bro.
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:22 pm

easytiger wrote:Something strange has happened in the Mixer rankings.
    The two top teams that had a 200 point lead both seem to have been scrubbed (multiple entries??)

As a result I've jumped to 9th overall and instead of being 250 points behind and no chance, I'm suddenly only 70 points behind and an outside chance.

It's obviously tough to make much of a room with only the 4 teams playing this week, so I'm trying to decide whether there's a half decent POD play that's worth a gamble, or whether it's better to play a straight bat and create a solid base with maybe a Taufa (C) instead of Upton and maybe a Tago/Penisini instead of Crichton?

Any thoughts/ideas?

Yeah wow, good luck mate. Still hard to make up the ground with the limited selection options this week but not impossible.

Don’t really have any advice, I think your posts have covered the options. With the lack of teams it’s hard to go too POD without it being silly. Guessing which centre scores the tries will be key, I guess.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:11 pm

Took myself down to the NRL Fan hub set up in Martin Place in the city today. Better than nothing which is what the NRL have put on in the past. Still very rudimentary with some main sponsors providing a gazebo with pas the ball and reflex type games, face painting. Very few kids mostly city workers rubber necking on their lunch break or die hards who have been there all day at the front of the stage to see the team announcements come out on stage.
    Cookie Monster
    Cookie Monster

Post by Cookie Monster Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:24 pm

No Worries wrote:Took myself down to the NRL Fan hub set up in Martin Place in the city today.

Speaking of FanHub's, it was the end of an era (a pretty crappy era) last week when the company that acquired FanHub last year finally decided to rebrand NRL Fantasy with their own name

No more Failhub jokes I guess

Now the old Failhub staff will be producing a brand new NRL Fantasy game under the Genius Sports brand. No pressure there  A+
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:28 am

Cookie Monster wrote:Now the old Failhub staff will be producing a brand new NRL Fantasy game under the Genius Sports brand. No pressure there  A+

surely they aren't building a new platform, are they?

Did they ever do any sort of announcement re the fantasy winner this year?
    The Dolphin Conspiracies
    The Dolphin Conspiracies

Post by The Dolphin Conspiracies Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:56 am

my tv broke wrote:

i just can't see how anyone could think using the video ref for forward passes would make things better. its still a subjective call by one individual. the blow ups from fans/media would only get worse. its all so tiresome.

I wonder if the solution is to not judge whether the pass is forward but whether the receiver is behind the passer when it is passed. It is a bit radical but it would be much simpler to adjudicate on I think that as along as it does not turn rugby league into AFL it would work just fine
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:11 am

my tv broke wrote:

surely they aren't building a new platform, are they?

Did they ever do any sort of announcement re the fantasy winner this year?

The NRL Fantasy Facebook page announced it.

Since the original lone scout left the official page doesn't get much engagement so probably missed by most
    filthridden
    filthridden

Post by filthridden Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:26 am

Peter V'Landys destroying the digital arm of the NRL means unlikely anyone is going to put in $ to rebuilding the fantasy platform or anything else.

If anything I wouldn't be too surprised if it went backwards and was sponsor-based like we've seen with the mixer.
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:40 am

filthridden wrote:Peter V'Landys destroying the digital arm of the NRL means unlikely anyone is going to put in $ to rebuilding the fantasy platform or anything else.

If anything I wouldn't be too surprised if it went backwards and was sponsor-based like we've seen with the mixer.

I sort of assumed that, given the favors already done for foxtel, PVL would scrap the NRL's  fantasy when current contract expires and just point everyone to supercoach

Cant be far off. Handful of hardcore fans will be annoyed but it will largely go unnoticed. In years gone by i would be very annoyed, but dont think i care anymore.
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:23 pm

Yeah I think Supercoach has won. Lack of NRL investment in their own fantasy product, all integrated media promotion is for Supercoach (Foxtel/Kayo obviously, but often Ch9). Supercoach now has NZ residents eligible for prizes, which was an advantage for NRL fantasy.

Never played it.
    easytiger
    easytiger

Post by easytiger Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:31 pm

robelgordo wrote:Yeah I think Supercoach has won. Lack of NRL investment in their own fantasy product, all integrated media promotion is for Supercoach (Foxtel/Kayo obviously, but often Ch9). Supercoach now has NZ residents eligible for prizes, which was an advantage for NRL fantasy.

Never played it.

For whatever reason, the NZ Fantasy audience seems either disproportionately large or loud?
    Anyway, in terms of NZ - you hit the nail, this was my first year of playing SC - why? not because of interest in SC, just the fact we're now identified as being a market meaningful enough to be eligible for prizes.

I'm a huge "hardcore fan" of fantasy classic who possibly resented the existence of SC - but now I can see the point of it, and understand better the space it fills.
    I like Classic more, but there is definitely an art to SC as well - it's just a different twist of largely common ground.

It has some elements that are better than Classic particularly around trade strategy, and while I didn't like it at first, it doesn't hurt that such a large proportion of players score 50+; in a way it makes it feel a bit more positive - it's certainly more forgiving of mistakes.
    I found my engagement with SC grew as the year progressed.

In a way it's a bit like T20 vs ODI's - they provide for a similar, yet different, strategy to essentially the same game - you can dislike T20 cricket in principle if you want, but if you love ODI's you will probably enjoy T20's, especially if ODI's die at the hand of the growing popularity of T20's and you have no choice.

I hope they continue to exist in parallel, but yeah the NRL have pretty much shown that they have no love for the digital community, so expect to see it die at some point.

filthridden
    filthridden

Post by filthridden Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:39 pm

Warriors have signed Jackson Ford.
    Can't imagine he's anything more than a depth signing to replace Dunamis Lui/Jackson Frei.

Also didn't realise Daejarn Asi has signed with the Broncos and Jack Murchie to the Dragons.
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:43 pm

filthridden wrote:Also didn't realise Daejarn Asi has signed with the Broncos

neither did i. interesting.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:44 pm

No footy tonight but Australia currently playing China in the basketball semi finals if people want sport to watch
    The Dolphin Conspiracies
    The Dolphin Conspiracies

Post by The Dolphin Conspiracies Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:52 pm

hermann ese ese base price MID for next season @ Dolphins
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:57 am

The Dolphin Conspiracies wrote:hermann ese ese base price MID for next season @ Dolphins

I think they have a pretty long list of forwards alteady, herman probably struggles to crack the side. Perhaps wayne gets him going again though..

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:50 pm