NRL Fantasy Fanatics



Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

    Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party

    Fortitude
    Fortitude

    Posts : 4258
    Reputation : 2284
    Join date : 2016-02-25
    Location : National Capital

     Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party - Page 49 Empty Re: Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party

    Post by Fortitude Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:32 pm

    Confirmed the seven will not play.

    Essentially manly taking a ‘we respect their views, but will proceed to promote inclusivity’.

    Not a great position to be in, most of the blame going on administrative approach, rather than players not demonstrating the inclusivity the club is trying to promote.

    Lose lose for the club and the pride movement as no club will touch it with a 10 foot pole for another decade.

    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

    Posts : 21628
    Reputation : 12425
    Join date : 2016-01-08

     Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party - Page 49 Empty Re: Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party

    Post by my tv broke Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:37 pm

    hymenbustas wrote:Is it likely the 7 standing down for this week will face further suspension? I don't want to trade out Haumole if he's only missing this week. He was limping last week though

    Its hard to imagine so, unless Manly personally want to tell them to go away. But they also want to win games.. so..
    robelgordo
    robelgordo

    Posts : 8000
    Reputation : 4548
    Join date : 2019-07-08
    Location : Sydney

     Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party - Page 49 Empty Re: Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party

    Post by robelgordo Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:41 pm

    my tv broke wrote:

    Its hard to imagine so, unless Manly personally want to tell them to go away. But they also want to win games.. so..

    I reckon Des was doing the Zach G equation meme on this one

    “Well we probably lose this week if I back them, but if I make them play they might be dispirited all season and we lose more weeks, but also there could be players annoyed by their stance and me supporting it that makes it hard to win, carry the 7, divide…”
    Fraser
    Fraser

    Posts : 913
    Reputation : 635
    Join date : 2016-01-17
    Age : 37
    Location : NSW

     Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party - Page 49 Empty Re: Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party

    Post by Fraser Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:42 pm

    Thinking of going hard to get Murray considering my rank (137) he is only currently owned by 4 of the top 100.

    Barnett > Butcher
    Lolo > Murray

    Would give me 3 trades left and the following team:

    Cook
    Murray Crichton Elliott
    IPap Fifita
    Cleary DCE
    Burton Tago
    Teddy Hynes Doueihi

    Robson Harris Butcher Moses

    Koula Matamua Palasia Kennedy
    filthridden
    filthridden
    Moderator

    Posts : 15885
    Reputation : 9058
    Join date : 2015-09-27

     Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party - Page 49 Empty Re: Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party

    Post by filthridden Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:50 pm

    Big loss of respect for Shaun Johnson:

    "I don’t have an opinion either way. It’s not for me to worry about.”

    Comes across like he doesn't care about things that don't effect him personally.

    Honestly really, really disappointed that not a single player has said something like "How the NRL has a pride round soon!" or "Love the new Manly jersey" or just any token positive input.

    I would love a Marcelo Montoya redemption arc right now.
    filthridden
    filthridden
    Moderator

    Posts : 15885
    Reputation : 9058
    Join date : 2015-09-27

     Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party - Page 49 Empty Re: Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party

    Post by filthridden Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:56 pm

    In other news, Mahoney ---> Cook. Feel it needs to be done even if it is one of my last four trades.

    Holding on for dear life now.
    mrbrownstone
    mrbrownstone

    Posts : 3565
    Reputation : 1511
    Join date : 2019-09-13

     Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party - Page 49 Empty Re: Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party

    Post by mrbrownstone Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:58 pm

    filthridden wrote:Big loss of respect for Shaun Johnson:

    "I don’t have an opinion either way. It’s not for me to worry about.”

    Comes across like he doesn't care about things that don't effect him personally.

    Honestly really, really disappointed that not a single player has said something like "How the NRL has a pride round soon!" or "Love the new Manly jersey" or just any token positive input.

    I would love a Marcelo Montoya redemption arc right now.

    Didn't respect him much in the first place after the whole "yous got your way" after the Fiji QF exit debacle, but yeah, this doesn't help.

    Like, I get it from SJ, it's obviously a controversial issue (even thought it bloody shouldn't be in 2022) and he doesn't want to take a side and alienate anyone.

    But at the same time, I totally agree, it just comes across as spineless to me. To add another cliche into the mix: "If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."

    Surprised DCE hasn't come out and said anything actually - always struck me as a fairly smart and progressive guy, wonder what he thinks about all this.
    mrbrownstone
    mrbrownstone

    Posts : 3565
    Reputation : 1511
    Join date : 2019-09-13

     Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party - Page 49 Empty Re: Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party

    Post by mrbrownstone Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:59 pm

    Fortitude wrote:Confirmed the seven will not play.

    Essentially manly taking a ‘we respect their views, but will proceed to promote inclusivity’.

    Not a great position to be in, most of the blame going on administrative approach, rather than players not demonstrating the inclusivity the club is trying to promote.

    Lose lose for the club and the pride movement as no club will touch it with a 10 foot pole for another decade.


    I dunno, maybe I'm being too optimistic, but as someone else pointed out the Manly pride jersey sold out almost instantly. That won't have gone unnoticed.
    robelgordo
    robelgordo

    Posts : 8000
    Reputation : 4548
    Join date : 2019-07-08
    Location : Sydney

     Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party - Page 49 Empty Re: Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party

    Post by robelgordo Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:01 pm

    mrbrownstone wrote:

    Didn't respect him much in the first place after the whole "yous got your way" after the Fiji QF exit debacle, but yeah, this doesn't help.

    Like, I get it from SJ, it's obviously a controversial issue (even thought it bloody shouldn't be in 2022) and he doesn't want to take a side and alienate anyone.

    But at the same time, I totally agree, it just comes across as spineless to me. To add another cliche into the mix: "If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."

    Surprised DCE hasn't come out and said anything actually - always struck me as a fairly smart and progressive guy, wonder what he thinks about all this.

    I get why none of the players will want to stick their neck out, they're in the business of winning first and this is a "distraction". Plus a lot legit will have never thought of it. But it's still disappointing, someone get Christian Welch on the line - he's good for an articulate viewpoint.
    mrbrownstone
    mrbrownstone

    Posts : 3565
    Reputation : 1511
    Join date : 2019-09-13

     Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party - Page 49 Empty Re: Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party

    Post by mrbrownstone Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:02 pm

    This from AFB as well:

    "Each to their own, I guess," said Fonua-Blake ahead of Warriors training at Mt Smart. "It's a lot of cultural beliefs and religion that goes into the decision not to wear the jersey but you know, I've got nothing but respect for the boys and I have got no bad comments on people.

    "The NRL is very diverse - there's a lot of different religions in there and they have their own beliefs. I am not going to discriminate - whatever they want to do for their beliefs, total respect for them. And the boys that do go out and wear the jersey I'm pretty sure they are going to do a good job for Manly as well."

    Fuck me, as if it wasn't already hard enough to support the Warriors.
    Shady2K
    Shady2K

    Posts : 2531
    Reputation : 1178
    Join date : 2020-03-12
    Location : Sydney

     Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party - Page 49 Empty Re: Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party

    Post by Shady2K Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:06 pm

    Well the Seven are different from what I know...

     Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party - Page 49 Giphy
    mrbrownstone
    mrbrownstone

    Posts : 3565
    Reputation : 1511
    Join date : 2019-09-13

     Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party - Page 49 Empty Re: Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party

    Post by mrbrownstone Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:07 pm

    From The Mole so take it with a huge grain of salt, however, this is fairly heartbreaking if true:

    But their stance has left a promising young homosexual Sea Eagle, who has not yet come out publicly, devastated.

    "He is a good young player coming through the grades and just wanted to play first grade for Manly," a close friend of the player told Wide World of Sports.

    "But this move by the players has shocked him. He thought they would accept him for who he is if he ever decided to make his sexual preferences public - clearly that is not the case.

    "He has been devastated by this turn of events - the pride jumper is supposed to be a sign of hope and inclusion.

    "The fact that half the team would boycott it rather than play has deeply saddened him.

    "They have no problem supporting gambling on their jumpers, which is a sin according to the Bible. But when it comes to homosexuality, they have a problem."
    robelgordo
    robelgordo

    Posts : 8000
    Reputation : 4548
    Join date : 2019-07-08
    Location : Sydney

     Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party - Page 49 Empty Re: Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party

    Post by robelgordo Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:13 pm

    mrbrownstone wrote:From The Mole so take it with a huge grain of salt, however, this is fairly heartbreaking if true:

    But their stance has left a promising young homosexual Sea Eagle, who has not yet come out publicly, devastated.

    "He is a good young player coming through the grades and just wanted to play first grade for Manly," a close friend of the player told Wide World of Sports.

    "But this move by the players has shocked him. He thought they would accept him for who he is if he ever decided to make his sexual preferences public - clearly that is not the case.

    "He has been devastated by this turn of events - the pride jumper is supposed to be a sign of hope and inclusion.

    "The fact that half the team would boycott it rather than play has deeply saddened him.

    "They have no problem supporting gambling on their jumpers, which is a sin according to the Bible. But when it comes to homosexuality, they have a problem."

    I did see a Twitter comment yesterday dismissing the boycott as scuttlebutt as a player is "out within the club". But the boycott happened and the second part could be true as well. What a mess.
    Aardvark
    Aardvark

    Posts : 3602
    Reputation : 3395
    Join date : 2018-03-01
    Location : Parents basement eating Cheetos

     Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party - Page 49 Empty Re: Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party

    Post by Aardvark Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:16 pm

    DCE

    “The situation we’re in now, unfortunately we’re not going to make everyone happy,” he said.
    “Like a lot of things in life, we can’t make everyone happy so I tried to make it really clear as a person you have the right to your own actions and with those actions come consequences and repercussions and we just have to make sure if any of these things get too out of hand that we’re there to support our teammates for their decisions.
    “Sometimes the hardest situation in sport is to try and deal with situations that are sometimes out of your control but one thing they can control as a playing group is accepting the decision some players have made in trying to find a silver lining in all of this.
    “There are going to be 17 players out there celebrating inclusiveness and diversity, so I think hopefully we can start to shift our attention towards the good intentions that were had.”

    That probably sums up the situation fairly well
    mrbrownstone
    mrbrownstone

    Posts : 3565
    Reputation : 1511
    Join date : 2019-09-13

     Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party - Page 49 Empty Re: Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party

    Post by mrbrownstone Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:20 pm

    Aardvark wrote:DCE

    “The situation we’re in now, unfortunately we’re not going to make everyone happy,” he said.
    “Like a lot of things in life, we can’t make everyone happy so I tried to make it really clear as a person you have the right to your own actions and with those actions come consequences and repercussions and we just have to make sure if any of these things get too out of hand that we’re there to support our teammates for their decisions.
    “Sometimes the hardest situation in sport is to try and deal with situations that are sometimes out of your control but one thing they can control as a playing group is accepting the decision some players have made in trying to find a silver lining in all of this.
    “There are going to be 17 players out there celebrating inclusiveness and diversity, so I think hopefully we can start to shift our attention towards the good intentions that were had.”

    That probably sums up the situation fairly well

    Yeah well said from DCE. He's caught between a rock and a hard place here realistically, nothing he can publicly say will be that satisfying. Can hardly come out and say "yeah, those 7 are a bunch of bigots and I'm ashamed to play with them", so he's walked the line as well as he probably could.
    robelgordo
    robelgordo

    Posts : 8000
    Reputation : 4548
    Join date : 2019-07-08
    Location : Sydney

     Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party - Page 49 Empty Re: Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party

    Post by robelgordo Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:23 pm

    Yeah, I think we need to remember in this while the focus is on the negative, a positive is the club has pushed on at the cost of probably 2 points and potentially a finals place.

    Meanwhile:
    Des Hasler is gonna put a pride flag outside every KFC and McDonalds on the peninsular and hope Josh Schuster boycotts them too. - Twitter wag
    Bethany_B
    Bethany_B

    Posts : 4938
    Reputation : 1848
    Join date : 2018-02-05
    Age : 24
    Location : Canberra, Australia

     Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party - Page 49 Empty Re: Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party

    Post by Bethany_B Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:26 pm

    robelgordo wrote:Yeah, I think we need to remember in this while the focus is on the negative, a positive is the club has pushed on at the cost of probably 2 points and potentially a finals place.

    Meanwhile:
    Des Hasler is gonna put a pride flag outside every KFC and McDonalds on the peninsular and hope Josh Schuster boycotts them too. - Twitter wag

    I honestly hope Manly wins this week and then just doesn't bring back the 7 players. Won't happen but it would be nice.
    wolfking
    wolfking
    Fanatics Immortal

    Posts : 29976
    Reputation : 10748
    Join date : 2016-04-26
    Age : 38
    Location : Brisbane

     Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party - Page 49 Empty Re: Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party

    Post by wolfking Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:29 pm

    Class there from Giraffe Neck.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow
    Moderator

    Posts : 20485
    Reputation : 12467
    Join date : 2015-07-31

     Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party - Page 49 Empty Re: Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party

    Post by Milchcow Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:32 pm


    Paul Gallen's quote that "It's 2022, I think everyone accepts that there are different people in life" doesn't look very accurate when there are 7 Manly players who clearly don't accept that.
    robelgordo
    robelgordo

    Posts : 8000
    Reputation : 4548
    Join date : 2019-07-08
    Location : Sydney

     Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party - Page 49 Empty Re: Re: NRL Fantasy 2022 - Part 66 - Couch Party

    Post by robelgordo Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:36 pm

    Milchcow wrote:
    Paul Gallen's quote that "It's 2022, I think everyone accepts that there are different people in life" doesn't look very accurate when there are 7 Manly players who clearly don't accept that.

    I think his attempt to hint this is overreach because it detracts from the womens round and therefore all the women in your life is a pretty heroic reach.

      Current date/time is Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:57 am