NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

The TV Thread

Revraiser
    Revraiser

The TV Thread - Page 28 Empty Re: The TV Thread

Post by Revraiser on Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:26 pm

The Capture was brilliant. Curfew piss weak, could t watch oh it past 2 episodes, very corny and weak script. Haven't fired up Barry.
    Enjoying Mandalorian. So glad it hasn't gone teen like the classic Star Wars has now.
    SEE, this is awesome. One of Apples launch series on its streaming service or wateva they r called.

Anyone been a FTWD fan and watched it absolutely capitulate this season ? An absolute dive into a shadow of its former self.
    filthridden
    filthridden

Post by filthridden on Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:56 am

@Revraiser wrote:The Capture was brilliant. Curfew piss weak, could t watch oh it past 2 episodes, very corny and weak script. Haven't fired up Barry.
    Enjoying Mandalorian. So glad it hasn't gone teen like the classic Star Wars has now.
    SEE, this is awesome. One of Apples launch series on its streaming service or wateva they r called.

Anyone been a FTWD fan and watched it absolutely capitulate this season ? An absolute dive into a shadow of its former self.

Barry is amazing, just keeps getting better. One of my top recommends from the past few years.
    I'm a few eps into the new season of Mr Robot and its ridiculously good. Hasn't dropped an inch.
    Mandalorian is good but I thought the most recent episode was just a filler and its a worry that you have a filler episode that early in the season.
    Got recommended Fortitude which is a three season and done TV show that I have gotten pretty addicted to. It's a bit of a slow burn but I am enjoying the characters and there's some crazy pay off every now and then.

Watched the first two epiosdes of Watchmen and its good but I haven't been completely sucked in yet. Will keep watching when I get some more free time. There's a lot of good TV going around at the moment!
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Fantasy Fanatics VSDT Overall Group Winner : 2017

Post by Milchcow on Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:41 pm

Which Mandalorian episode do you think is filler? The most recent one?

Mandalorian spoiler:

I thought the 2nd episode was the most redundant episode. Not much of use happened in the episode except for a bit of connection between Mando and baby Yoda. Which I guess its important to show that that happened, but took a long time to show it.

Most recent episode (knock off of Seven Samurari) I thought was pretty good. Seems to be fine for what i thought the premise of the show was going into it. Similar to cowboy westerns of a guy going through the galaxy encountering problem of the week rather than concentrating solely on 1 ongoing story.

There's a lot of good TV around these days which is all about 1 continuous story, but I don't mind if we get something where each episode is more stand alone
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow on Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:42 pm

On Walking Dead, FTWD, I gave up on the TV shows a while ago, but the comic itself just had its last issue recently. I'm not a big comic reader at all but I enjoyed the comics all the way through.
    Revraiser
    Revraiser

Post by Revraiser on Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:14 pm

Most recent Mandalorian is on the 'quiet' low profile planet right?
    @Milchcow - do u mean u thought it would be a standalone episode series or it would be long story ?

I have found very cleary with my own tastes, shows that are standalone with new, short storylines each week are much less engaging than the deep, long run shows. So.many examples, pretty much all the modern successful series are this way I find. Anything on commercial tv is almost 100% week by week new stories and so so shallow.
    Revraiser
    Revraiser

Post by Revraiser on Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:20 pm

@filthridden wrote:

Barry is amazing, just keeps getting better. One of my top recommends from the past few years.
    I'm a few eps into the new season of Mr Robot and its ridiculously good. Hasn't dropped an inch.
    Mandalorian is good but I thought the most recent episode was just a filler and its a worry that you have a filler episode that early in the season.
    Got recommended Fortitude which is a three season and done TV show that I have gotten pretty addicted to. It's a bit of a slow burn but I am enjoying the characters and there's some crazy pay off every now and then.

Watched the first two epiosdes of Watchmen and its good but I haven't been completely sucked in yet. Will keep watching when I get some more free time. There's a lot of good TV going around at the moment!

I watch Mr Robot, but its one I've put on hold, or time wise had to. Finished season 2, and accumulating the rest since.
    Looks like Fortitude will get a run, like the sound of the story.
    Watchmen just doesn't catch me from all the teasers I watch.
    Its been such an obvious thing to me, in recent years series are going nuts, so much quality.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow on Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:25 pm

I admit I hadn't done much reading about Mandalorian before it was released (hadn't even watched the trailer) but I was expecting a story of the week. I have no problem either way as long as the stories are good.
    I one of the interesting things about the Mandalorian story will be how they resolve it in a way that fits in with the movies that are set after it finishes. They can't have anything too major happen without it creating inconsistencies with the new movies.
    Mandalorian:

Basically if Baby Yoda survives and develops into a powerful force user, they have to explain why he doesn't appear in episodes 7 or 8 (or 9 I'm assuming)

I think the biggest difference for modern TV, is that they no longer have to worry about filling a 26 episode season, and can just make 10-12 episodes if that is what they want. I think needing to have an episode every week for 6 months led to a lot of filler episodes that weren't very good

The fact that most TV has an over-arching story is generally a good thing too, but I think that shorter seasons are ow the norm has done a lot to help improve the quality too.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow on Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:27 pm

Watchmen is very much a mystery box TV show, which sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
    For me its working, but its not necessarily a show for everyone

You probably need to have read the comics/seen the movie to appreciate it, as there are lot of references that would otherwise be meaningless.
    Pain
    Pain

NFL Dynasty Champion : 2019
    NFL Fantasy L2 Champion : 2019

Post by Pain on Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:24 pm

Milchy wrote:
    Watchmen is very much a mystery box TV show, which sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
    For me its working, but its not necessarily a show for everyone

You probably need to have read the comics/seen the movie to appreciate it, as there are lot of references that would otherwise be meaningless.

I've struggled through the first 6 episodes on your recommendation. I just can't keep track of whats going on.
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries on Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:28 am

Started watching Upright last night. 3 episodes in. Not bad, relatable, quirky, funny, very Australian
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow on Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:13 pm

@Pain wrote:

I've struggled through the first 6 episodes on your recommendation. I just can't keep track of whats going on.

If you haven't read the comics or seen the movie a lot of it won't make sense, as they don't really explain who the characters are.

Its only a 9 episode season if you want to stumble through the rest of it. I'm still really enjoying it.
    Pain
    Pain

Post by Pain on Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:22 pm

Milchy wrote:

If you haven't read the comics or seen the movie a lot of it won't make sense, as they don't really explain who the characters are.

Its only a 9 episode season if you want to stumble through the rest of it. I'm still really enjoying it.

I've jumped into Barry now. Bit better aligned to what my brain needs now. Will go back to watchmen over the holidays.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue on Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:30 pm

I've literally never been into anything DC or Marvel; never been into it. One of my best mates lives and breathes comics though and his favourite has always been Watchmen apparently. I didn't actually know that before watching this, even though he might have told me in the past.

I watched the first 2 eps of Watchmen based on the previews and the cast, and I think it's absolutely tremendous. I'll binge the rest now I have it all recorded, but Ep 1 had me absolutely hooked, even with no context going into it.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue on Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:10 am

@No Worries wrote:Started watching Upright last night. 3 episodes in. Not bad, relatable, quirky, funny, very Australian

Baulked on starting it as it seemed a bit commercial. Reviews are pretty good though.

Some great Aussie shows at the moment and Les Norton on the ABC was tremendous. I picked up my first Robert G Barrett book in Cairns airport in 1993 and was hooked straight away; mainly due to the fact they were only about 100 pages long and the font was elephant sized and Rugby League was a common thread Very Happy The TV adaptation has David Wenham, Rebel Wilson, Angus Samson, Ryhs Muldoon, Ian Roberts, Kate Box, Stephen Peacock and Peter Phelps as a cameo! Episode 8 revolves around an actual First Grade game from 1985 between the Roosters and Balmain Smile

I can't go past Mr Inbetween for Aussie Drama though. Wonderfully understated and ridiculously under rated.

Pain
    Pain

Post by Pain on Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:19 am

I'm deep into Mr Robot now. Wow.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue on Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:23 am

@Pain wrote:I'm deep into Mr Robot now. Wow.

Where are you up to? I remember Filth recommending it when it first started. Season 2 was crafted incredibly for the big twist Shocked
    Revraiser
    Revraiser

Post by Revraiser on Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:19 pm

Limestone and Servant are two mystery type series, new ones. Both short run time each episode, and very engaging. Recommended but they dont give u much in terms of answers, which is not to everyone's taste.

Going to crank out the latest season (4) of The Expanse before work resumes on the 6th.
    Pain
    Pain

Post by Pain on Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:53 pm

SI wrote:

Where are you up to?  I remember Filth recommending it when it first started.  Season 2 was crafted incredibly for the big twist Shocked

Just started season 3. So well done. Not sure what it's triggering in my mental health lol.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue on Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:54 pm

The Outsider has been wonderful so far; leaves me wanting to watch the next Ep asap when it comes out instead of binging later on.
    Pain
    Pain

Post by Pain on Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:20 am

SI wrote:The Outsider has been wonderful so far; leaves me wanting to watch the next Ep asap when it comes out instead of binging later on.

Yeah I'm liking it too

Current date/time is Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:27 pm