NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

EasyTiger - Team Tracker 2022

easytiger
    easytiger

EasyTiger - Team Tracker 2022 Empty EasyTiger - Team Tracker 2022

Post by easytiger Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:44 pm

NRL Fantasy OPEN
    -----------------------------------------

22/12/2021 (Wednesday) - The NRL Fantasy web application was opened today (possibly a good month earlier than last year - well done to Fan hub!)
    This was after the initial Broncos squad prices were revealed on Monday, as well as the feeds also being available.

Changes to general setup:
    - Salary Cap reduced to $9.4M in line with real-world cap (down from $9.8mil last year), squad sizes remain at 21 players
    - Magic number set at 12,452
    - DPP updates confirmed for post R1, post R6, post R12, post R18
    - 32 trades available to commence the season
    - 4 additional trades made available at R20 (i.e. total season trades up 2 to 36)
    - Max 2 trades available each week from R1-R12
    - Max 4 trades available each week from R13 onwards (this is still by doing up to 2 trades at once)

Changes to point scoring:
    - Six-again infringement (-1)
    - Escape from in-goal (+2)
    - Kick Metres (+1 per KM/30 rounded down - was previously per KM/20)
    - Tackle Breaks - was rumored to be dropping down to 2 points, but system currently lists this as +3 still <= watch this space
    - Offload (to ground) - no change (+2)
    - Offload to hand - new distinction (+4)

General observations:
    - Offload to hand seems greatly over-valued IMO (given it's the same value as a line break, and a Try Assist is only worth a 1 point more at 5 points)
    - Escape from in-goal is nice enough, but in reality stats seem to indicate this happens about once every two games (so largely meaningless)
    - Six-again infringements (data below) averaged 3.7 per team per game - so your player might lose -1 here or there, but generally not too concerning.
    - KM changes slightly reduced the base stat value of dominant kickers.
    - TB should have the most effect if this comes to pass - the team average across the NRL was 30TB's per game, so that's significant per game.
    While this (has likely) been priced in, it may slightly slow the cash gain (and ceiling) of high-dependence TB type positions like WFB.
    - The change in trading framework places some extra advantage to those capable of retaining trades before the bye period.
    It also means it would be technically possible to field 17 players for both byes this year (R13 & R17) - with 16 trades possible between the two byes (plus your 4 player extended bench)
    - The cap squeeze and obvious selection (C)leary will likely limit the number of guns in a Guns & Cows scenario - so once again choosing good Cows are very important.

A note on 6-again infringements:
    Based on SMH article after 21 rounds of the 2021 season, teams conceded the following:
    CBY 106, MEL 95, WST 91, SGI 86, GLD 83, MAN 82, NEW 82, CAN 78
    NQL 75, SYD 73, PAR 73, WAR 68, SOU 64, BRI 63, PEN 61, CRO 54
    Of the 1234 infringements 31% were inside the 10, 69% were ruck infringements.
    i.e. most teams conceded on average 1 inside the 10 per game (except the Dogs who did it 2.5 times per game), and 2-3 ruck infringements per game.
    easytiger
    easytiger

EasyTiger - Team Tracker 2022 Empty Re: EasyTiger - Team Tracker 2022

Post by easytiger Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:02 am

Starting Squad Early Draft

It's just under three weeks until the first game.
    Like most, I've just been playing around the edges with various player/position concepts as we lead up to the trials and TLT on the 8th of March

My likely core to start is looking something like:
    Grant/Cook
    MID MID MID
    EDG EDG
    Cleary HLF
    Burton Tago
    Papenhuyzen Hynes Crichton
    Randall Ilias INT INT
    RES RES RES RES

Randall, Ilias and Tago are all sounding likely to snare a starting spot, so assuming they get the roles/positions we expect, they're pretty straightforward selections.

I'm keen on both Burton and Hynes, although both are shifting from roles where they have most of their NRL experience while simultaneously changing clubs, too.
    They're certainly not without risk, which may be slightly magnified by having both of them.

That's about $5mil spent, leaving about $4.4mil for the remaining 12 spots.

Like most, I'd certainly like it if TLT presents the opportunity to run a Reserves bench worth $1mil (i.e. $250k average) - it seems a bit of a fantasy at this point.
    Most options either look tenuous due to injuries/likelihood of being selected: e.g. Davey, Walters, AFifita or more look like mid-season cows like Simpkins, Blacker, LSmith, PTurner, JCook, JGrant, Metcalf, Howarth, Mam, Koula, Moale, Alamoti, BTrbojevic, Mooney etc.

At the moment, I'm hoping that TLT will offer up some bolters to ease salary cap pressure (I'm sure we all feel that way).

If the Reserves cost about $1.1mil ($275k average - it seems unlikely to get four base price reserves), then I'm left with an average of $412k for the remaining 8 spots - which is very much on the low end of midrange.
    This lends itself to running multiple Centres, which is a bit of a counter-intuitive strategy given it's traditionally a low-scoring position in fantasy (32.7 average), and most options have been priced around 26-28 points.

MID and EDG look to be the most challenging selections.
    I'm currently shaping towards one or two of the Cowboys Edges (Gilbert, Nanai, Luki?) -> incidentally, the Cowboys had easily the lowest fantasy average for the Edge position in the comp last year (at 37.3PPG) - so I'm not super excited, but they're cheap.

Currently, I have Fermor ($451k) & Nanai ($350k) in the Edge, with Stefano ($557k), Gilbert ($458k) and Hetherington ($424k). I almost certainly won't be running out with that setup! If nothing else, Hetherington will likely be suspended before the season start anyway. I'm quite keen on Kurt Mann as well, assuming he gets a 50-60 minute role in the middle.

Stefano Utoikamanu's end of '21 performance makes him attractive, but his game time isn't guaranteed, and the Tigers have improved their middle rotation with the off-season signing of Peachey.

TPJ should be there, seems a bit of a no-brainer, and ownership is high-enough that being TPJ-less is likely a negative POD. That means something has to give.

At this point,  I'm likely to have to shift one of either Burton/Hynes or start with a low-grade Hooker.
    Both options don't seem great, but there's not much point stressing until we see what next weeks trials reveal.
    Antipodean1
    Antipodean1

Post by Antipodean1 Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:45 pm

Your team is similar to mine, thoughts on Randall/Paix/K Hetherington instead of Cook/Grant? I have DFifi/Nanai and TPJ.
    easytiger
    easytiger

Post by easytiger Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:52 am

Antipodean1 wrote:Your team is similar to mine, thoughts on Randall/Paix/K Hetherington instead of Cook/Grant? I have DFifi/Nanai and TPJ.

I like Fifita, in some ways I'd love Cleary to miss R1 so I can pivot to him. TPJ definite upside.

There's nothing inherently wrong with any of those three a long as they get good game time, but they all have minutes risk and could end up being awkward 30 point averages.
    I've flirted with no gun hooker too.

Randalls obviously the safest, but won't surprise me if Mann or Crossland steal minutes - the Knights bench may give some indication on TLT
    easytiger
    easytiger

EasyTiger - Team Tracker 2022 Empty Starting Squad - General thoughts

Post by easytiger Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:16 am

Starting Squad - General focus:

I've been a bit short on time this week (bad timing yeah). I always think that RL is an underrated challenge to a successful Fantasy season, but it's something we all have to workaround.

Traditionally, I'm a poor starter but tend to build into the season well.
    Last year, I'd probably give my squad a solid 7/10 - good enough to provide a great platform to start the year, but with a few opportunities to learn.

I have a good enough handle on the details (assessing individual players), so my main focus is on the broader brushstrokes;

1/ Try to be middle-of-the-road.
    This worked well for me last year. I'm usually a good trader, so I don't need to start on fire - I just need to be in the mix.
    It's fine to have a POD or two, but don't make them critical. It's also okay to go against the herd for a non-critical selection e.g. Tino last year.
    Basically, aim for cookie-cutter with a tweak.

2/ Guns-cows
    It's harder for mid-rangers to make as much coin as cows (or as quickly) and they seldom make it to keeper status - leaving them in a bit of a fantasy no-mans land.

3/ Balance is more important than cash generation.
    Yes, cash generation is a key focus for your initial starting squad, but balance (cover for injuries/late withdrawals) is more important.
    Making forced trades due to a poor setup undermines the benefit that one or two potential cows may give you.

4/ Try and leave $50-100k cash in the bank.
    If possible, I don't want to make trades next week, but most years require some level of correction and that cow I've just missed has already jumped $40k!
    easytiger
    easytiger

EasyTiger - Team Tracker 2022 Empty 2022 - Round 1 - Starting team

Post by easytiger Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:29 am

2022 Starting Team - Part 1:

HOK: Chris Randall
    A workhorse that averages 44 from 66 minutes as a starting Hooker and really should get 60-70 minutes each week.
    Not under any major threat until Brailey returns late season.

MID 1: Payne Haas
    The Elite mid of the comp. Averages 1.03PPM across 3 years and a 65.8 MPG average. Started '21 slow, with court case, brothers death etc.
    Looks primed to start '22 well.

MID 2: Jason Taumalolo
    Career average of 54.7 from 58.5 starts at lock (dating back to 2014), drops to 53 with scoring changes.
    More recently: 2019 averaged 60.8 adj (64 mins), 2020 averaged 62.2adj (63 mins), 2021 dropped to 48.8 in 57.7 - but had multiple wrist injuries which seems to have hampered his performance.
    Call me sentimental, but should do better this year.

MID 3: Stefano Utoikamanu
    Career PPM of 0.97 is top shelf. Averaged 43.4 in 45 mins last year, but 50.9 in 51.7 mins as starting prop.
    Started the last 8 rounds for a 55.8 average (incl 3 tries, which is not likely maintainable).
    I think he averages just over 50 minutes, so should offer some value.

EDG 1: Kelma Tuilagi
    A bolter for the Edge spot - some rumour he is off to Manly next year, but never confirmed.
    Starts ahead of Garner on the bench, so likely a 60-65min edge. Meets the eye test, powerful and involved - not sure if he has the motor for 80, but even at 60 minutes should be able to hit a 40 average.

EDG 2: Eliesa Katoa
    Burst onto the scene in 2020 with a 0.65PPM in 69 mins (44.7avg), 2021 was a down year dropping minutes to 57.6 but PPM stayed strong at 0.69 when starting edge.
    Should get the role for the first month and sounds like he is working harder at his involvement in particular with defense..
    Warriors have 4 forward bench incl BMM and Sironen though - so lots of risk here, but I'm gambling on him getting a few early tries to start the season.

MID/EDG INT 1: Ethan Bullemor
    Transferred from the Broncos. Passes the Eye test for me and will get a start on the Edge for Manly, but some chance he gets spelled by Lawton.
    Schuster is due back in a few weeks, so would likely move to a 1PPM bench player, but has potential to top out as a 35-40 point player.

MID INT 2: Josh King
    A bit of a career workhorse, but never cemented a spot. Now at MEL (from NEW).
    His last two years have been a 2020 PPM 1.13 (23.7 in 21 minutes), and 2021 0.93PPM - 24.5 in 26.4 minutes.
    Has had a big preseason by all accounts, and gets a start at 13 with some key players out. Needs 40 MPG to be of value, which is possible with Kamikamica out and Finucane gone.
    Bellamy tends to give one or two Bench forwards that 40+ minutes so worth a gamble and very playable in week 1.

HOK INT 3: Harry Grant
    A fair chance he gets the starting Hooker position where he averages 62 from 74 minutes.
    Last season he averaged 55 from 59 minutes - either way, I suspect his minutes improve to 65-70 MPG.
    All this is mitigated by him missing R1 - but could be a good loop if I play an early risky scorer like CTR Tago.

CLOSE:
    HOK:
    Tom Starling (I'm tipping that at some point he becomes fantasy relevant this year, but not ideal cover in the meantime)
    Jake Simpkin (Tempted by the 4 week role - and has some chance he could displace Liddle if he plays well enough - this would be on a big assumption that he has improved notably in the preseason)
    Reed Mahoney (A solid selection, slightly undervalued, and should get some attacking stats with Parra's early draw)

MID:
    Max King (Looked good in the trials, should have a fairly safe 30 minutes, dropped out of my team in the quest for better balance)
    Andrew Fifita (The old warhorse. Probably too much threat around JS)

EDG:
    Jeremiah Nanai (Appears to have the edge spot on merit and seems likely to play the full 80, but a sluggish PPM suggests he's likely to be a slow burner gain)
    Teig Wilton (I have him narrowly ahead of Fermor - both should make similar cash, but Wilton in potentially half the time - which he'd need to as only has JS for a month)
    David Fifita (It came down to him or Grant. Exploded out of the blocks last year, and could do the same this year - tougher draw though with a few teams that could somewhat contain him)
    easytiger
    easytiger

EasyTiger - Team Tracker 2022 Empty 2022 - Round 1 - Starting team

Post by easytiger Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:47 am

2022 Starting Team - Part 2:

HLF 1: Toby Sexton
    Played 4 games last year for a 55.8adj average.
    Low score was 40 against the Rabbitohs, the other 3 were 55, 71, 72 (1T) - a bit Clearyesque in that he seems to score in every category and can add points without looking like he's doing much.

HLF 2: Brad Schneider
    Get's the starting spot over Sam Williams, with Jamal Fogarty out injured.
    High ownership mitigates risk. Averaged 48PPG in NSW cup, that included just 75KM per game and an over 90% tackle efficiency, decent goal kicker as well.
    I think he should be very playable in the 17 while starting.

CTR 1: Matt Burton
    Averages 67 from 9 games in the halves (8 at 5/Cool.
    That doesn't include GK which he should add on at the Bulldogs (presuming they score some tries).
    He's going from the best team to the worst, but I felt he was often held back a bit in his role at the Panthers (e.g. getting Luai & then Tyronne May to be the dominant half in 2021) - Meets the eye test & could be in for a big season.

CTR 2: Will Penisini
    Scored 34 & 53 (1T) in the finals to go with 3 regular season starts for a 37.6 average and 0.4T/G.
    Playing for the Eels who have a pretty friendly start to the year and tend to start well - so could boost early.

WFB 1: Nicho Hynes
    Shifts to the Sharks from the Storm, and also to Halfback from Fullback.
    He has a .75PPM in 2 other games in the halves and an average 55 in all games over 40 minutes last year (included 6 tries in 17 games, and almost 1TA per game) - albeit largely at Fullback.
    He should add Goal kicking, and up KM (especially next to Moylan), but will lose at least half of his 140MG per game last year. A potential top 3 in WFB and seems durable so far...

WFB 2: Ryan Papenhuyzen
    After averaging 49.4 in 2020, had a breakout in '21 until those HIA's.
    Still, he averaged 70.8 as starting Fullback (exluding HIA game) - 8 games, 11 tries.
    That would drop to 67 with the scoring nerf, but plenty of potential upside.

WFB 3: Stephen Crichton
    Career average of 37.3 at Centre and looks to have simply been miss-priced.
    In a good team and should average well, but will be a rollercoaster with plenty of 20's to go with the odd 50+ - could eventually be a great one to loop if possible.
    A bit of GK bonus to start with Cleary expected to miss the first 3 rounds.

HLF INT 4: Talatau Amone
    Averaged 47 in 3 games at 5/8 last year. A 71 and two in the 30's. Only 1 TA across that though.
    He was a bad scorer at CTR, but did well on the interchange - picked up 3 tries in 85 mins across 5 games for a 0.94PPM.
    Will be paired with Ben Hunt - a very dominant half, so not without it's risks.
    Hoping for 30's most weeks, with the occasional big game.

CTR/EDG RES 1: Izack Tago
    Izack Tago had two linebreaks, 12 tackle busts, 367 metres and a try in six games in his first season in the top grade.
    The Panthers have a big opinion of 19-year-old rookie, some fans compare him to Staggs.
    Averaged 136 MG and 57 Fantasy points in NSW cup from 9 games.

HLF RES 2: Lachlan Ilias
    Takes over the vacated 7 spot by Reynolds departure.
    Should go well enough in a good team and high ownership mitigates risk.
    Should eventually be safe to play, but may need the first month to settle into his role at the bunnies.

WFB RES 3: Xavier Coates
    Averages 26.7 in 28 starts as a Wing at the Broncos at a 0.5T per game rate.
    He would need to increase his workrate (108MG/G) and tries to offer real value, but MEL have been talking him up and he is a popular selection - so here largely as risk mitigation.
    Addo-carr was 0.8T per game and 131 MG/G, 3.8TB and 37.6 average as a comparison point - may be 10 points of value.
    My main hope is he groups a couple of big scoring games together (with Melbournes favourable early season draw) and has a good cash boost a la Jason Saab at Manly.

CTR RES 4: Viliami Vailea
    Rated among New Zealand's best players at secondary school level.
    Played Qld Cup last year for a 37 point average, 108MG, 85% tackle efficiency, and 7 tries in 13 games.
    Has good speed and is fairly explosive - hoped that either he or Berry (or both) become long term centres for the Warriors - so should get a few weeks to prove he is first grade ready.
    TBH he's only in my team due to being base price AND providing some positional cover.

CLOSE:
    HLF
    Sam Walker (a good draw after the first weeks and sounds like he has added some bulk and the GK - downside is he'll be playing next to a fairly dominant half)
    Kurt Mann ( Hard to get a read, as has never played the roving Lock role before. Watson averaged 51 mins off the bench, 64mins starting as a comparison - Mann could be better (or worse) - gut feeling is that he goes well)

CTR
    Euan Aitken (Averaged an unsustainable 0.8PPM in 5 games on the edge last year incl 4 tries - But the base stats were good, net 32 Tackles and 120MG equates to a 44 base and with a relatively soft opening 5 games)

WFB
    David Nofoaluma (2017 averaged 44adj (0.3T), 2018: 36.5adj (0.3T), 2019: 45.7 (0.6T), 2020: 47.1 (0.8T), 2021: 37.9 (0.5T) - A bit down last year but capable of getting 45 could go either way, but not a bad draw to start)
    Latrell Mitchell (A much improved 2021 Fullback averaging 52.1adj (0.8T/G) compared with 2020: 33.5adj. Should pick up 7 points a game in GK - the dynamic might not be as good without Reynolds though. Misses R1)

Last edited by easytiger on Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
    easytiger
    easytiger

EasyTiger - Team Tracker 2022 Empty Round 1 - Results & Review

Post by easytiger Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:52 pm

Round 1 Results & Review:

Score: 893

Captaincy:
    Payne Haas (85)
    I decided not to get too cute with Captaincy in the first round and it paid off in dividends.
    Expecting a solid 60's score and benefited from 4 surprising offloads worth an absurd 16 points, but that's the scoring system this year.

Surprise package:
    Izack (61) - Put in the loop spot at #18 in case his first outing at Centre was good (or bad against the Sea Eagles).
    Looked strong and got involved - the only question then was how to get him as an AE.

Justified:
    Harry Grant (DNP) - Yeah, a bit of a leprechaun play that one and should benefit from the opportunity created by Brandon Smith's unfortunate wrist injury.

The Jury is out:
    Jason Taumalolo: (45) Missed all the trial games and only played for 51 minutes (same as first round last year). 15 runs for 56 post contact metres is far from his best, will need to improve in minutes and intensity.
    Talatau Amone/Lauchlan Ilias: (20) Both struggled to exert themselves in games where their partners also struggled.

Underwhelming:
    Matt Burton: (39) It looks like it may take him a while to settle in to his new role as the key playmaker in a struggling team.
    Viliami Vailea: (7) Another young player that failed to really grab their first-grade opportunity, 10/13 tackles and only 8 runs with the ball. Now ruled out for a few weeks with injury.

A worthy few:
    A few debatable choices paid off - C-Haas, Tago, Josh King (& the obvious choices Schneider, Crichton, Randall).
    A few started well, but could still go either way - Katoa, Bullemor, Tuilagi
    A few look like they should pay off - Sexton, Penisini, Hynes, Paps, Utoikamanu
    A few looking very suspect to start, but probably should still work - Ilias, Amone, Coates, Taumalolo, Burton
    A few I had in my team prior to kick-off that I regret swapping out - MKing, Nanai, Mann & Wilton.

Cash generation:
    Just $250k - easily the lowest first week gain I've had in many years - a bit of a concern.

General Thoughts:
    A solid if not spectacular start.
    The main takeaway is that you want to be in a solid enough position after Round 1, and I feel I am.

Last edited by easytiger on Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
    easytiger
    easytiger

EasyTiger - Team Tracker 2022 Empty Round 2 - Trades and Team issues

Post by easytiger Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:47 pm

Round 2 Team Issues:

Injury Ward:
    Viliami Vailea - MCL (back round 6)

Ill-Discipline:
    None.

Dumped:
    None.

Covid:
    Brad Schneider

Rested:
    None.

Round 2 Squad:

Squad is pretty healthy and balanced, aside from Vailea's injury - who is a trade.
    Missing a couple of key cash-generators that I should've retained from my preseason list (Nanai, MKing, KMann)

Availability:
    19 players prior to trading

Returning:
    Harry Grant (from Suspension)

Round 2 Trades:

Wednesday - Pending finalisation.
    1/ Vailea > Mking
    2/

Popular targets include:

BASEMENT - MIDDIE
    Max King MID $281k
    Josh King MID $336k
    Izack Tago CTR/EDG $373k
    Jeremiah Nanai EDG $382k
    Stephen Crichton CTR/WFB $384k

PREMIUM
    Payne Haas MID $813k
    Harry Grant HOK $697k
    Isaah Yeo MID $686k
    Jai Arrow MID/EDG $580k
    Tom Gilbert MID/EDG $494k

👇 Trade outs:
    Viliami Vailea $229k (CTR)
    Made a bit of a blue on this one. Didn't really need the extra CTR cover (with Tago capable), yeah a bit annoyed about it.
    That being said, had an opportunity to make some coin with matches against the Dragons, Titans, Tigers, Broncos & Cowboys to start.
    (Lost $11k)

👆 Trades in:
    Max King $281k (MID)
    Cleaning up my initial selection mistake.
    Max King looks like he should be able to get 30 minutes of bench time each week.
    As long as he can maintain the same level of energy and enthusiasm that he brought into the first game then his place should be fairly secure, and the fantasy upside is that this should also ensure a good PPM >1.

💰 Cash ITB:
    $31k
    Round 1 left me with $83k in the bank, as predicted, this has been very useful in my initial trade correction (especially in the event that a base cow goes down to a mid-term injury) - so a much better starting strategy than last year's $1k in the bank.

In retrospect I would've run Mann, Nanai & MKing over Katoa, Amone & Vailea - but I'll have to ride with those other two selections and hope they can mitigate any damage.
    easytiger
    easytiger

EasyTiger - Team Tracker 2022 Empty Round 2 Results & Review

Post by easytiger Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:25 am

Round 2 Results & Review:

Score: 835

Captaincy:
    Payne Haas (58)
    The solid option and generally has a very reliable floor.

Surprise package:
    Hynes (84) - In a tough round to pick up points, Nicho excelled.
    He's the sort of Fantasy player you love to have in modern RL, capable of scoring in every scoring metric.
    While I was expecting him to hit the occasional 80, 90etc, the surprise is him doing it so early without any tries, a single TA and missing most of his GK - all the while up against a decent opposition in the Eels.

Justified:
    Matt King (51) - When I traded him in, I wasn't expecting back to back 50's, more just an expectation of 30 mins for 30 something points and the occasional boost into the 40s.
    It's early days, but looking already like a reliable scorer in a typically unreliable bench Mid role.

The Jury is out:
    Jason Taumalolo & Stefano Utoikamanu: (40 & 27). Lolo looked better IRL this week, Stefano struggled against a solid Knights pack and had fairly poor minutes at just 38.
    Talatau Amone/Lauchlan Ilias: (27 and 17) Both are taking a while to get up to the speed & their role in first-grade.

Underwhelming:
    Kelma Tuilagi: (18) Looked a bit out on his feet early and only managed 51 minutes - one of many players in the NRL that look a bit underdone at present.
    Ethan Bullemore: (20) I had suspicions that this one was coming, but it's hard to bench a player who scored 48 the week before. Struggles a bit with the pace of first-grade, and benched in the first-half with an injury.

Cash situation:
    Made $370k, a bit down on previous seasons.

General Thoughts:
    Not a great round with 10 out of 20 players managing 40 points or less and only Hynes going large.
    That being said, whether you/your players score well is really only relative to how the other players/fantasy-players score - so on that base it was a positive round for my team.
    Being in the top 1k after 2 weeks is unexpected, but it's really early days so not reading much into it.
    The way this season has started I have probably been lucky to avoid any major bad luck, and could just as easily have been rank 20k, so it's a fortunate place to start from.

Last edited by easytiger on Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:04 am; edited 3 times in total
    anth20
    anth20

Post by anth20 Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:40 am

easytiger wrote:

Underwhelming:
    Kelma Tuilagi: (18) Looked a bit out on his feet early and only managed 51 minutes - one of many players in the NRL that look a bit underdone at present.
    Ethan Bullemore: (20) I had suspicions that this one was coming, but it's hard to bench a player who scored 48 the week before. Struggles a bit with the pace of first-grade, and benched in the first-half with an injury.

I believe Tuilagi failed a HIA but nevertheless wasnt great. Decent amount of missed tackles.
    GarethEllisismyDad
    GarethEllisismyDad

Post by GarethEllisismyDad Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:41 am

Really like this tracker, congrats on being in the top 1000, very impressive

I have similar problems to you with lolo, bully, tuilagi, ilias etc

Looking at cowboys fixtures I think I might keep lolo but realistically he’s the only asset I have that can sell

Very jealous of some of the players you’ve got that I wish I’d selected

Will be trailing this tracker- long may your luck continue
    easytiger
    easytiger

Post by easytiger Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:48 am

GarethEllisismyDad wrote:Really like this tracker, congrats on being in the top 1000, very impressive

I have similar problems to you with lolo, bully, tuilagi, ilias etc

Looking at cowboys fixtures I think I might keep lolo but realistically he’s the only asset I have that can sell

Very jealous of some of the players you’ve got that I wish I’d selected

Will be trailing this tracker- long may your luck continue

Thanks
    I think I've been fortunate in that most of my guns are looking fairly solid: Haas, Grant, Sexton, Hynes, Burton.
    Lolo, Stefano, Papy aren't hitting their straps yet - but think they're all probably worth being patient with.

Unless something major happens, I'm happy to ride with Taumalolo for the first month and then re-assess - there looks like there will be a number of undervalued guns at that point (as well as Cleary).

In terms of the cows - I'm somehow without Nanai - which is a bit weird as he was the mainstay of my preseason team and I think only fell out about an hour from R1 lockout - this week was a bit of a reprieve - but he showed he could've easily put up a 40 pointer.
    easytiger
    easytiger

Post by easytiger Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:49 am

anth20 wrote:

I believe Tuilagi failed a HIA but nevertheless wasnt great. Decent amount of missed tackles.

Thanks, I have yet to watch the game (only caught the last 10 minutes) - The NRL need to stop scheduling games at my kids bed time (NZT) already!
    GarethEllisismyDad
    GarethEllisismyDad

Post by GarethEllisismyDad Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:53 am

easytiger wrote:

Thanks
    I think I've been fortunate in that most of my guns are looking fairly solid: Haas, Grant, Sexton, Hynes, Burton.
    Lolo, Stefano, Papy aren't hitting their straps yet - but think they're all probably worth being patient with.

Unless something major happens, I'm happy to ride with Taumalolo for the first month and then re-assess - there looks like there will be a number of undervalued guns at that point (as well as Cleary).

In terms of the cows - I'm somehow without Nanai - which is a bit weird as he was the mainstay of my preseason team and I think only fell out about an hour from R1 lockout - this week was a bit of a reprieve - but he showed he could've easily put up a 40 pointer.

Haas, grant, sexton, burton, Hynes are this years must haves imo and i don’t have haas or sexton

easytiger
    easytiger

EasyTiger - Team Tracker 2022 Empty Round 3 - Trades and Team issues

Post by easytiger Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:08 am

Round 3 Team Issues:

Injury Ward:
    Kelma Tuilagi - HIA (protocols mean he will miss this week)

Ill-Discipline:
    None.

Dumped:
    None.

Covid:
    Harry Grant

Rested:
    None.

Round 3 Squad:

Squad is generally healthy and scoring well enough.
    Two players out means that I will likely have to play two players that I'd rather not... (Amone, Coates, Ilias, Bullemor)

Availability:
    19 players prior to trading

Returning:
    Brad Schneider (Covid)

Round 3 Trades:

Thursday - I've been fluctuating between 2 trades and no trades.
    I'm very keen to get Tom Starling (Hodgson gone for the season), but at a $449k price point and with only $31k in the bank, it rules out trading any underwhelming cows (looking at you Ilias, Amone, Bullemor).
    I can make the trade in one with Taumalolo or Stefano, but I'd rather give them some more time as I still think they could be fair selections.
    Otherwise I can make it by trading in a base-priced cow (Leo Thompson $249k) for a Bullemor & Amone.
    1/ Bullemor > Thompson
    2/ Amone > Starling

It would certainly boost my likely scoring this week, but I think the odds lie with Thompson more likely to be a wasted trade than an outright success.
    The crowd would probably advise to make that trade, but I decided that I wanted to err on the side of saving trades as an early season strategy this year, so will hold true to that.
    Having a reasonable rank to start the season probably affords a little latitude to being a bit more patient with trades.

Interesting to hear a few talking about trading out Nanai after last weeks 17 point (-28 demerits) - yet still someone I am considering on my trade-in radar. If Stefano looks low on minutes again this week I may look to bring in a Starling-Nanai combo next week.

Popular Targets:

BASEMENT
    Leo Thompson MID $249k
    Mat Croker MID $250k
    Taylan May CTR $300k

MIDDIE
    Max King MID $347k
    Josh King MID $373k
    Izack Tago CTR/EDG $427k
    Tom Starling HOK $449k

PREMIUM
    Nicho Hynes HLF/WFB $661k
    Isaah Yeo MID $723k
    Payne Haas MID $833k

Confirmed Trades:

👇 Trade outs:
    Held

👆 Trades in:
    Held

💰 Cash ITB:
    $31k
    easytiger
    easytiger

EasyTiger - Team Tracker 2022 Empty Round 3 - Results & Review

Post by easytiger Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:40 am

Round 3 Results & Review:

Score: 754
    Par: 930

Captaincy:
    Payne Haas (64)
    I placed the (C) on Nicho Hynes early in the week.
    News of Pat Carrigan being a potential out/carrying a minor injury in conjunction with the heavy downpour at the Sharks game, caused me to rethink it, and I reversed it back to Haas.
    It ended up a bad move in retrospect, costing 25 points.

Surprise package:
    Hynes (89) - His best game yet and rewarded with another great Fantasy score. His style of play makes him a Captaincy contender. A bright start to the week...

Justified:
    Josh King (55) - Seems to be settling into the role of a reliable starting middle at the Storm.
    With Harry Grant a chance to return and Brandon Smith back, it will be interesting to see his likely role going forwards.

The Jury is out:
    Jason Taumalolo (36) - Continues to provide hints of being a decent purchase, but yet to land any significant fantasy score.
    Played the entire first half against the Cowboys and may have been on for increased minutes had the game not been a blow out.

Underwhelming:
    Ilias (21) and Amone (17) continue to shit the bed, offering no cash gains and neither look likely to have a break-out (fantasy) game any time soon.
    Toby Sexton with a 10 point second half as Canberra came back from a 22-0 scoreline to win. Another who's been hinting at getting a decent score without getting one over the line.
    Matt Burton with a fairly lacklustre 34 and concerns he may struggle to put up good numbers against decent teams.

Unlucky:
    It's been a real rough week Fantasy-wise.
    Starting the week by losing $711k worth of Harry Grant to Covid in what would've been his second game back was a bit of a hurdle to start. With Tuilagi out, it meant I was down to 19 fit players.
    Game 2 of the round Eliesa Katoa got a finger? to the eye, causing him to miss 11 minutes of the first half with an HIA assessment. His eye swelled shut and he would not play a role in the second half (14 points).
    Stefano Utoikamanu managed just 5 minutes of his second spell before suffering a high-ankle sprain (syndesmosis) and would take no further part. Scored well with 31 in 30 minutes and appeared to be on for 52minutes TOG - finally the time & performance I wanted, but cruelled by injury.
    Xavier Coates - A late withdrawal with a quad? complaint - suddenly down to 18 players and now Bullemor & Amone (17) are playing.

Horror-Show: Yikes
    Will Penisini's 9 points was a kick in the guts in an already tough round - these things can happen sometimes against the Storm - sadly worse was to come.
    Ethan Bullemor (6) - lucky for me I wasn't around to hear the news that he had been demoted from the starting edge spot in the final hour before the game, or that he wouldn't make an appearance in Des's unusual rotations until the 55th minute, or to see him manage 4 tackles in 26 minutes - did he play on the wing??

Regret:
    Early last week I traded out a Stefano (31) + Bullemor (6) pair for Starling (56) + Nanai (62 inc 3T) combo, while shifting the C to Hynes.
    By the time Thursday rolled round, the trades seemed indulgent.
    The fantasy Gods would decree that it was a 106 point better play this week.

Cash situation:
    Approx $350k, a lot of teams will be over $500k this week

General Thoughts:
    Fantasy at times is a game of inches.
    Sometimes those 50-50 calls prove to be marginal, sometimes they swing towards you and sometimes that cluster-f**k you like no bodies business.
    Dropping 10 fold from the 800's to 8'000s is an unwanted new record for me, but it's still early days at least.
    It's a bit raw right now (especially on top of a really tough week IRL), but in a few days I will mull over the decisions and whether I shift my early objectives for next year.

Last edited by easytiger on Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:26 am

Hopefully you had all your tough breaks at once, mate. Better days ahead...
    GarethEllisismyDad
    GarethEllisismyDad

Post by GarethEllisismyDad Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:43 am

Hard lines there- lots went against with the covid and unlucky injury runs, plenty of time to turn it around
    easytiger
    easytiger

Post by easytiger Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:06 am

rhinoceroo wrote:Hopefully you had all your tough breaks at once, mate. Better days ahead...

GarethEllisismyDad wrote:Hard lines there- lots went against with the covid and unlucky injury runs, plenty of time to turn it around

Thanks

Yeah, probably one of my worst fantasy weeks in a number of years.
    These days I generally try to avoid having many PODs to start the year for this reason - it's kind've funny that they would all simultaneously flop while the other "almost-had" one's all boomed.

Fantasy is a game of averages, so hopefully there's a little bounce-back around the corner - and like GE says - plenty of time to turn it around.

Current date/time is Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:07 am