NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 91 times out of ten, Fifita scores that try

robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 91 times out of ten, Fifita scores that try - Page 50 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 91 times out of ten, Fifita scores that try

Post by robelgordo Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:49 am

The cricket commentary here in Aus definitely moved away from using it in the 1990s sometime, once it was realised it caused offence. Agree up until then it was used endearingly bu cricket fans, oblivious to any other context.

But way people from Yorkshire, which has huge South Asian population, didn’t know it was racist/offensive.

They spelt it P**i in the investigation report, but then concluded it was just bants lol

Last edited by robelgordo on Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 91 times out of ten, Fifita scores that try - Page 50 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 91 times out of ten, Fifita scores that try

Post by robelgordo Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:52 am

easytiger wrote:
    The best draw reveal of the day goes to the Raiders with their Meme post:
    Raiders Meme Draw

That’s so good
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:00 pm

Double post deleted

Last edited by robelgordo on Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:50 pm

WT Winfield wrote:

I had to look up what the p-word racial slur was. Apparently it's Paki.. Never knew that it's considered racist and I use it all the time in what I would consider an endearing way (not that I'm a fan of Pakistan as a country, I just like their cricket team).

Shortening/abbreviating words is kind of an Aussie thing.. like Aussie/Australians, Jap/Japanese, Paki/Pakistani.. Compare that with calling Americans Yanks or Brits Poms which is intended as derogatory and that leaves me rather confused.

The racism at Yorkshire runs a lot deeper than that from what I read though. From accusations of players been urinated on (like what the absolute fuck?!) to comments like "there's too many of you lot". Pretty gross.

Something like this can no longer be said as a joke can it. Or more so not said, i mean received.
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:51 pm

Where the bloody hell are ya !?
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:46 pm

https://www.facebook.com/1394801307414998/posts/3106747876220324/

Cheeky !
    WT Winfield
    WT Winfield

Post by WT Winfield Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:54 pm

Revraiser wrote:

Something like this can no longer be said as a joke can it. Or more so not said, i mean received.

Yeah, but like most perceived racist remarks, context is key. Even then you basically need an admission of guilt or at least know the person well to decide if what they said was intended as an insult or racist.

Is it too many of you lot in the country, the world or the domestic sports league? The first two certainly sound insulting to me, but the third I could interpret as kind of a backhanded compliment and casual banter. Inserting two people of different races might change things, but as a believer in equality, I feel race is mostly irrelevant when talking shit in a competitive environment.

robelgordo wrote:The cricket commentary here in Aus definitely moved away from using it in the 1990s sometime, once it was realised it caused offence. Agree up until then it was used endearingly bu cricket fans, oblivious to any other context.

But way people from Yorkshire, which has huge South Asian population, didn’t know it was racist/offensive.

They spelt it P**i in the investigation report, but then concluded it was just bants lol

I thought I could remember it being said on TV back in the day, with ads like "watch the Aussies take on the Kiwis/Poms/Pakis live and exclusive to Nine".

There was a comment in the article I read about a player having to run from skinheads as a kid because of "Paki-bashing", so the word Paki has that meaning to him. If they called it Pakistani-bashing, then the idea or act is still the same though. The use of the word Paki isn't the qualifier for it being racist and deplorable.

Similarly I saw a documentary about a Japanese man that was kept in Jap Camps in the US during WWII and the use of the word was frequently used in derogatory statements.

I can empathise with those people's individual circumstances, but don't agree that the words themselves are straight up racist, or that someone who uses them is racist, unless everything they say around it is.

In Yorkshire's case, context also includes if the word is only ever used in a racist way in that region. Out here in rural NSW, I don't think it is.
    L-Jimmy
    L-Jimmy

Post by L-Jimmy Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:48 pm

WT Winfield wrote:

Yeah, but like most perceived racist remarks, context is key. Even then you basically need an admission of guilt or at least know the person well to decide if what they said was intended as an insult or racist.

Is it too many of you lot in the country, the world or the domestic sports league? The first two certainly sound insulting to me, but the third I could interpret as kind of a backhanded compliment and casual banter. Inserting two people of different races might change things, but as a believer in equality, I feel race is mostly irrelevant when talking shit in a competitive environment.

I thought I could remember it being said on TV back in the day, with ads like "watch the Aussies take on the Kiwis/Poms/Pakis live and exclusive to Nine".

There was a comment in the article I read about a player having to run from skinheads as a kid because of "Paki-bashing", so the word Paki has that meaning to him. If they called it Pakistani-bashing, then the idea or act is still the same though. The use of the word Paki isn't the qualifier for it being racist and deplorable.

Similarly I saw a documentary about a Japanese man that was kept in Jap Camps in the US during WWII and the use of the word was frequently used in derogatory statements.

I can empathise with those people's individual circumstances, but don't agree that the words themselves are straight up racist, or that someone who uses them is racist, unless everything they say around it is.

In Yorkshire's case, context also includes if the word is only ever used in a racist way in that region. Out here in rural NSW, I don't think it is.

Nah bro.

"You don't get to decide what words about your race are offensive to you, we get to decide". Is a pretty damn ordinary sentence.

Your opinion of whether the words are always everywhere and forever racist (even in broadminded and accepting rural NSW) is not relevant. Neither is the fact that Australian tv back in the day was a bit fucking ordinary.

Grouping races together with generalised statements using racial epithets is a bad thing. Yeah, especially when it's been historically associated with something awful like Paki-bashing.

Banter? Sure! About an individual's aspects connected with the game. Not about their race. That's racist. That's literally the example of racism.

Mate, cmon.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:16 am

Interesting infograph. Looks like they want the Titans in the 8 next year and as usual the Tigers to get screwed.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/caught-on-camera-bulldogs-huge-bid-to-lure-eels-star-as-meeting-video-emerges/news-story/dead76b1ba65b54980504f87eceda954?recommendedCount=0

NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 91 times out of ten, Fifita scores that try - Page 50 003eca5a8a6e362b94a42fd93b3ddb23?width=768
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:15 am

Wacko wrote:Sea Eagles 2022 Development player Gordon Chan Kum Tong

If this bloke makes the NRL how many fantasy teams will be named after him ?
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:30 am

Every media outlet reporting Mahoney met with Dogs officials, Dogs set to pull off coup,  Dogs offering 4 years at $650K Eels offering 3 years at $450K.

Nek minit Reed has followed Dogs insta page lol! lol!
    WT Winfield
    WT Winfield

Post by WT Winfield Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:46 am

L-Jimmy wrote:

Nah bro.

"You don't get to decide what words about your race are offensive to you, we get to decide". Is a pretty damn ordinary sentence.

Your opinion of whether the words are always everywhere and forever racist (even in broadminded and accepting rural NSW) is not relevant. Neither is the fact that Australian tv back in the day was a bit fucking ordinary.

Grouping races together with generalised statements using racial epithets is a bad thing. Yeah, especially when it's been historically associated with something awful like Paki-bashing.

Banter? Sure! About an individual's aspects connected with the game. Not about their race. That's racist. That's literally the example of racism.

Mate, cmon.

That's not what I was saying. Alternative words to describe a group should up to the people being referred to. When it comes to an abbreviated version of the accepted word, I'm not going to judge anyone that uses it unless the rest of their statements/actions are offensive. Abbreviations are easily found and as is our nature in Australia, we shorten words and especially names and chuck a vowel on when needed. I think it's a lost cause trying to stamp those words out when they will continue every generation and are mostly used innocently.

I've never followed any English sport or general current affairs over there, but after reading more about these bashings being rampant throughout the 70s and 80s (and probably still) and that England has quite a large population of people from the subcontinent and just a lot more context to the word, it does make me feel a bit uneasy about my own usage of it now. To me it's always just been a nickname and a cricket team I enjoy watching and competing against. Maybe one day the offensive nature will wear off I guess.
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:50 am

Brandon Smith met with Titans to discuss a deal from 2023. Could see him being a target for Wayne as well. Would be a great guy to build his team around as their first marquee signing.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:03 pm

No Worries wrote:Interesting infograph. Looks like they want the Titans in the 8 next year and as usual the Tigers to get screwed.

Spoiler:

I've always found this sort of thing a bit meaningless.

At the start of this year, if you were judging how hard your 2021 draw was, playing Manly twice was considered just as difficult as playing Brisbane or the Bulldogs twice.

If you had to make a choice between playing your last game against the Sharks or the Knights - is your choice really going to make a massive difference to the strength of your schedule?
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:27 pm

Milchcow wrote:

I've always found this sort of thing a bit meaningless.

At the start of this year, if you were judging how hard your 2021 draw was, playing Manly twice was considered just as difficult as playing Brisbane or the Bulldogs twice.

If you had to make a choice between playing your last game against the Sharks or the Knights - is your choice really going to make a massive difference to the strength of your schedule?

I think it’s a bit meaningless too - past performance not always indicative of future returns. At the same time it would also look less Mickey Mouse if NRL worked out who played every twice based on strength of schedule so these perceived imbalances didn’t exist.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:35 pm

robelgordo wrote:

I think it’s a bit meaningless too - past performance not always indicative of future returns. At the same time it would also look less Mickey Mouse if NRL worked out who played every twice based on strength of schedule so these perceived imbalances didn’t exist.
    '

They used to do that ages ago. But these days I don't think they want to risk missing out on doubling up key matches like Souths v Roosters or Broncos v Cowboys.

if you are an unpopular club like Canberra/Titans/Warriors you just get to accept the dregs after all the important matches are scheduled, and hope the luck of the draw falls your way.
    easytiger
    easytiger

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2022

Post by easytiger Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:24 am

CM reporting that Marata Niukore has signed a 4 year deal with the Warriors (2023-26).

In feel good news, Wests Tigers confirm that Life Member Benji Marshall will formally return to the club as an official ambassador
    Chewie
    Chewie
    Fanatic

Post by Chewie Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:54 am

Haven't been on the forum for ages... came back just in time for Page 51!
    Chewie
    Chewie
    Fanatic

Post by Chewie Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:55 am

I hope you are all well
    Chewie
    Chewie
    Fanatic

Post by Chewie Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:00 am

Let's go!

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:37 am