NRL Fantasy Fanatics



Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

    NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning

    filthridden
    filthridden
    Moderator

    Posts : 13837
    Reputation : 7394
    Join date : 2015-09-27

    NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning - Page 50 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning

    Post by filthridden Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:32 pm

    Fanatics Awards votes are being tallied now. Might be able to release some later tonight but most likely awards will be tomorrow and Sunday Very Happy

    Even got a voting entry from Fanhub Fiona herself! Laughing
    Mulvy
    Mulvy
    Moderator

    Posts : 15496
    Reputation : 7482
    Join date : 2016-01-26
    Location : Mulvania

    NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning - Page 50 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning

    Post by Mulvy Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:47 pm

    @WT Winfield wrote:The 'groupthink' and 'flavour of the week' terms get thrown around pretty often, and then those people trade in the same players anyway once they get off their high horse..  Laughing

    The masses trading in the same handful of players each week is usually because there's been a role change, whether it's more minutes, starting, shifted to a more favourable position, more carries, bottomed out price etc.

    If you're not trading in those guys, then you're pretty much just taking a punt on someone randomly hitting a purple patch and getting lucky.

    @AL wrote:

    Bit of tall poppy syndrome going on here IMO. Blokes leading, which IMO takes both skill AND luck, and whilst he may have been late on Cleary and Turbo he wasn’t too stubborn to refuse like many, and got on board when he could. Pretty easy to sit bank miles behind and claim he got lucky whilst you got unlucky.

    Maybe a congrats, well played and good luck for the final round might be more appropriate.

    People like MTB, Honey Badger, Milchow etc etc don’t rank so high every year on luck. MTB has had an outlier this year obviously with some bad luck, but I’d bet my left nut he is back at the pointy end next year.

    TLDR, bad luck can kill you, good luck isn’t the sole ingredient to success.

    All of this. You don't win the thing without some smarts and some good trades and selections. Obviously you need some luck too, but if you keep making sound decisions the luck will come your way eventually. Not quite the same thing but Gary Player said something like "it's a funny thing, the more I practice the luckier I get".
    robelgordo
    robelgordo

    Posts : 5791
    Reputation : 2860
    Join date : 2019-07-08
    Location : Sydney

    NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning - Page 50 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning

    Post by robelgordo Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:50 pm

    @Mulvy wrote:



    All of this. You don't win the thing without some smarts and some good trades and selections. Obviously you need some luck too, but if you keep making sound decisions the luck will come your way eventually. Not quite the same thing but Gary Player said something like "it's a funny thing, the more I practice the luckier I get".

    Put up your trades mate so I can point out how you were really bad except for the part where you have more points that almost everyone
    Mulvy
    Mulvy
    Moderator

    Posts : 15496
    Reputation : 7482
    Join date : 2016-01-26
    Location : Mulvania

    NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning - Page 50 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning

    Post by Mulvy Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:00 pm

    @robelgordo wrote:

    Put up your trades mate so I can point out how you were really bad except for the part where you have more points that almost everyone

    I was actually planning on posting them at some stage with a bit of analysis on what I did right and what I did wrong and what I genuinely thought was good/bad luck, but I've been super busy lately. Might get a chance tomorrow. I'll post them now if I get figure out a lazy way to do it.
    wolfking
    wolfking
    Fanatics Immortal

    Posts : 26792
    Reputation : 8223
    Join date : 2016-04-26
    Age : 37
    Location : Brisbane

    NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning - Page 50 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning

    Post by wolfking Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:05 pm

    @Mulvy wrote:

    I was actually planning on posting them at some stage with a bit of analysis on what I did right and what I did wrong and what I genuinely thought was good/bad luck, but I've been super busy lately. Might get a chance tomorrow. I'll post them now if I get figure out a lazy way to do it.

    I'd be interested in that too mate, but no rush.
    Mulvy
    Mulvy
    Moderator

    Posts : 15496
    Reputation : 7482
    Join date : 2016-01-26
    Location : Mulvania

    NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning - Page 50 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning

    Post by Mulvy Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:06 pm

    Mulvy's Madness:
    NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning - Page 50 Screen16


    Last edited by Mulvy on Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
    easytiger
    easytiger

    Posts : 1831
    Reputation : 1723
    Join date : 2020-01-27
    Location : League 51 Party Island

    NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning - Page 50 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning

    Post by easytiger Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:07 pm

    @filthridden wrote:Fanatics Awards votes are being tallied now. Might be able to release some later tonight but most likely awards will be tomorrow and Sunday Very Happy

    Even got a voting entry from Fanhub Fiona herself! Laughing

    Sent mine through about 15 minutes ago - hope you can add it in FWIW

    Thanks
    Mulvy
    Mulvy
    Moderator

    Posts : 15496
    Reputation : 7482
    Join date : 2016-01-26
    Location : Mulvania

    NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning - Page 50 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning

    Post by Mulvy Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:07 pm

    I'll try and comment on them tomorrow.
    filthridden
    filthridden
    Moderator

    Posts : 13837
    Reputation : 7394
    Join date : 2015-09-27

    NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning - Page 50 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning

    Post by filthridden Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:08 pm

    @easytiger wrote:

    Sent mine through about 15 minutes ago - hope you can add it in FWIW

    Thanks

    Yeah mate all good Smile
    WT2K
    WT2K

    Posts : 9239
    Reputation : 3558
    Join date : 2018-03-25
    Location : Leichhardt Oval

    NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning - Page 50 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning

    Post by WT2K Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:09 pm

    EELS TEAM NEWS - 1-17 no changes Will Penisini 18th man

    PANTHERS TEAM NEWS - Martin 2RF Kikau bench Izack Tago 18th man
    ynot
    ynot

    Posts : 146
    Reputation : 610
    Join date : 2021-03-23

    NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning - Page 50 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning

    Post by ynot Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:12 pm

    @Mulvy wrote:I'll try and comment on them tomorrow.

    NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning - Page 50 SnCQqLW
    Mulvy
    Mulvy
    Moderator

    Posts : 15496
    Reputation : 7482
    Join date : 2016-01-26
    Location : Mulvania

    NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning - Page 50 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning

    Post by Mulvy Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:13 pm

    No news on Avo yet I suppose?
    easytiger
    easytiger

    Posts : 1831
    Reputation : 1723
    Join date : 2020-01-27
    Location : League 51 Party Island

    NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning - Page 50 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning

    Post by easytiger Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:19 pm

    One of the things I would say was impressive with the guy in first, is restricting to just 4 trades in the opening 4 weeks.

    I think if anything it's more impressive that he was often a few weeks behind key trades, so it shows there's a lot of room for error across a season - you just have to be able to make a good read on when you may have gotten it wrong, and when you should still jump on.

    Personally, I don't think you need luck to win, just a little bit of avoiding a run of bad luck...
    Mulvy
    Mulvy
    Moderator

    Posts : 15496
    Reputation : 7482
    Join date : 2016-01-26
    Location : Mulvania

    NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning - Page 50 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning

    Post by Mulvy Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:26 pm

    @easytiger wrote:One of the things I would say was impressive with the guy in first, is restricting to just 4 trades in the opening 4 weeks.

    I think if anything it's more impressive that he was often a few weeks behind key trades, so it shows there's a lot of room for error across a season - you just have to be able to make a good read on when you may have gotten it wrong, and when you should still jump on.

    Personally, I don't think you need luck to win, just a little bit of avoiding a run of bad luck...

    A decent way of putting it. The late great Steve Nicholls said after his top 20 finish, the main difference to other years was that he played in the usual manner but instead of copping the run of injuries at the back end of the season like usual, they just didn't happen that year.
    robelgordo
    robelgordo

    Posts : 5791
    Reputation : 2860
    Join date : 2019-07-08
    Location : Sydney

    NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning - Page 50 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning

    Post by robelgordo Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:32 pm

    First time all year I’ve gained ranks in a Storm game. Last trade Paps delivering
    WT Winfield
    WT Winfield

    Posts : 4302
    Reputation : 2742
    Join date : 2016-08-21

    NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning - Page 50 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning

    Post by WT Winfield Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:35 pm

    Storm should pop a droppy and then accidentally let in a couple of tries..
    White Lightning
    White Lightning
    Fanatic

    Posts : 11673
    Reputation : 3431
    Join date : 2015-10-13

    NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning - Page 50 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning

    Post by White Lightning Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:38 pm

    @WT Winfield wrote:Storm should pop a droppy and then accidentally let in a couple of tries..

    I got him last week so he owes me this week Very Happy
    mattnz
    mattnz

    Posts : 9912
    Reputation : 2862
    Join date : 2018-03-11

    NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning - Page 50 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning

    Post by mattnz Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:39 pm

    @easytiger wrote:One of the things I would say was impressive with the guy in first, is restricting to just 4 trades in the opening 4 weeks.

    I think if anything it's more impressive that he was often a few weeks behind key trades, so it shows there's a lot of room for error across a season - you just have to be able to make a good read on when you may have gotten it wrong, and when you should still jump on.

    Personally, I don't think you need luck to win, just a little bit of avoiding a run of bad luck...

    Agree, that was the point of my post as well. A lack of bad luck was more important than getting the key players early.
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

    Posts : 10761
    Reputation : 4253
    Join date : 2015-10-21
    Location : Sydney

    NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning - Page 50 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning

    Post by Revraiser Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:39 pm

    And a team like the Warriors with nothing to play for on Sunday....
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms

    Posts : 7623
    Reputation : 4195
    Join date : 2015-10-29
    Age : 28

    NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning - Page 50 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 89 - Time to start pre season planning

    Post by multiple.scoregasms Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:39 pm

    @Mulvy wrote:

    A decent way of putting it. The late great Steve Nicholls said after his top 20 finish, the main difference to other years was that he played in the usual manner but instead of copping the run of injuries at the back end of the season like usual, they just didn't happen that year.

    Year I finished top 20 the only difference was nailing the original squad. Only missed 1 key cash cow and fixed that after about 5 weeks. Still went hard at byes, still had origin bolters selected from nowhere, still came home with a wet sail while most were running on fumes. It was in the days before reverse trades and I gambled on Blake Ferguson's run home with my last trade hours before he was caught drinking on the roof

      Current date/time is Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:16 am