NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

Nrl Fantasy 2021 Part 44 - Why are people so unkind

Cookie Monster
    Cookie Monster

Nrl Fantasy 2021 Part 44 - Why are people so unkind - Page 25 Empty Re: Nrl Fantasy 2021 Part 44 - Why are people so unkind

Post by Cookie Monster Mon May 03, 2021 10:59 pm

I can't believe no one has mentioned at least one of Paul Verhoeven's 90's films. Total Recall, Basic Instinct and Starship Troopers are all great movies. Showgirls, not so much.

I'm also very surprised that Silence of the Lambs didn't get a mention.
    The Pascoe Fiasco
    The Pascoe Fiasco

Nrl Fantasy 2021 Part 44 - Why are people so unkind - Page 25 Empty Re: Nrl Fantasy 2021 Part 44 - Why are people so unkind

Post by The Pascoe Fiasco Mon May 03, 2021 11:04 pm

zim wrote:

Is Leon the one about the hitman with a pet plant? Lock Stock follow up is called Snatch it's great, Vinnie Jones is a menace

That’s Leon -brilliant, remake of a French movie I think. I loved Snatch! Fight Club should be mentioned too!
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Mon May 03, 2021 11:22 pm

To be towards the top, there were a number of things that you needed to get right to start the season and there wasn't much leeway.

Must haves to start the season:
    Cleary
    Fifita
    Watson
    Laurie
    Papy
    Brailey
    Mitchell
    Stefano
    Alvaro
    Welch or Kami
    McCullough
    Townsend

Needed to have picked up many of:
    iPap
    Walker
    Schuster
    Peachey
    Too
    Mahoney
    Turbo
    TPJ
    Curran
    Walsh
    Koala

While avoiding all of:
    Teddy
    Roberts
    Lolo
    Api
    Matterson
    Lam
    Moylan

Wasn't much room for movement outside of this.

Most were also forced to trade many popular players that were injured, suspended or dropped:
    Momo
    Niu
    Liddle
    Riki
    Milf
    SOS
    AFB
    Mitchell
    Lam
    Moylan
    Averillo (before he started scoring well)
    Hampton

Because of the forced trades, it was harder to catch up on those that started with the right team.

robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Mon May 03, 2021 11:30 pm

rhinoceroo wrote:

Yes, the forum does seem to be underperforming currently. Hard to pinpoint exactly why, but an early preference for Ted over Latrell and Lam over Chad seems to have a lot to do with it. We'll be repaid when Ted averages 90 over the next four rounds...

The near consensus on Lam over The Chad here is a serious difference maker. Townsend as a high scoring cow up there with needing all 3 of Cleary, Fifita and Papy from R1 to be up there IMO. It’s easy 20pts, 30k each week and minimum one trade saved over starting Lam

Looking back, I actually think it was a pretty poor collective decision.

Other misses - like Latrell, iPap etc - are much easier to justify I think.
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Mon May 03, 2021 11:34 pm

mattnz wrote:To be towards the top, there were a number of things that you needed to get right to start the season and there wasn't much leeway.

Cleary
    Fifita
    Watson
    Laurie
    Papy
    Brailey
    Mitchell
    Stefano
    Alvaro
    Welch or Kami
    McCullough
    Townsend

Needed to have picked up many of:
    iPap
    Walker
    Schuster
    Peachey
    Too
    Mahoney
    Turbo
    TPJ
    Curran
    Walsh
    Koala

While avoiding all of:
    Teddy
    Roberts
    Lolo
    Api
    Matterson
    Lam
    Moylan

Wasn't much room for movement outside of this.

Most were also forced to trade many popular players that were injured, suspended or dropped:
    Momo
    Niu
    Liddle
    Riki
    Milf
    SOS
    AFB
    Mitchell
    Lam
    Moylan
    Averillo (before he started scoring well)
    Hampton

Because of the forced trades, it was harder to catch up on those that started with the right team.

Put Mahoney in the top category, actually. Teams that started with him for his 184 points had a huge leg up over anyone who picked him up later. Probably put Simonsson and Leniu in the avoid category too, simply for lack of cash generation over other 20/21 options like Stefano and Alvaro. And Opacic was an amazing starter for those who went with him.
    SoylentGreen
    SoylentGreen

Post by SoylentGreen Mon May 03, 2021 11:34 pm

zim wrote:

Is Leon the one about the hitman with a pet plant? Lock Stock follow up is called Snatch it's great, Vinnie Jones is a menace

Another one that just sneaks into the 90s is Ghost Dog: The Way Of The Samurai. Awesome film - stars Forest Whitaker, directed by Jim Jarmusch, with a cracking soundtrack by RZA.
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Mon May 03, 2021 11:37 pm

robelgordo wrote:

The near consensus on Lam over The Chad here is a serious difference maker. Townsend as a high scoring cow up there with needing all 3 of Cleary, Fifita and Papy from R1 to be up there IMO. It’s easy 20pts, 30k each week and minimum one trade saved over starting Lam

Looking back, I actually think it was a pretty poor collective decision.

Other misses - like Latrell, iPap etc - are much easier to justify I think.

IPap was completely forgivable - bench forward in the 500s. Latrell was more likely collective prejudice (in favour of Ted as well as against Latrell).
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Mon May 03, 2021 11:39 pm

rhinoceroo wrote:

Put Mahoney in the top category, actually. Teams that started with him for his 184 points had a huge leg up over anyone who picked him up later. Probably put Simonsson and Leniu in the avoid category too, simply for lack of cash generation over other 20/21 options like Stefano and Alvaro. And Opacic was an amazing starter for those who went with him.
    I dont think it was realistic to be able to pick Mahoney as a top scorer before round 1, any more than any other player. Don't recall any discussions on him pre-season as a gun pick for this year. He finished last season with four 50 minute games and they added hookers to the squad so that he didn't have to play 80 minutes. Wasn't on anyone's radar.
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Mon May 03, 2021 11:43 pm

mattnz wrote:
    I dont think it was realistic to be able to pick Mahoney as a top scorer before round 1, any more than any other player. Don't recall any discussions on him pre-season as a gun pick for this year. He finished last season with four 50 minute games and they added hookers to the squad so that he didn't have to play 80 minutes. Wasn't on anyone's radar.

No, he wasn't on anyone's radar here (maybe a few had him?) but the question was about this forum's underperformance and him *not* being on the radar is a part of it, because a fair number of the current top teams did. And he was definitely more valuable to start than as a pick-up.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Mon May 03, 2021 11:53 pm

DarkKnight wrote:

What are us long time seasoned fantasy players doing wrong this year Milch. Along with MTB and MS we are all getting smashed in the rankings. I don’t even feel like my team is bad but keep dropping ranks week after week sitting around 10k now. I’m the James Roberts of Fantasy Fantasy.

Started with a few wrong players, and then injuries/suspension/form prevented me from getting in the players I should have had.
    Trading out Averillo turned out unfortunate, but I was down a CTR that week due to Bird missing too. In hindsight, probably should have played with 16. Potentially this week I'll play with 16 rather than trade in another CTR. I think that position has been worse this year than last. Its only round 9 and I've had Bird, Roberts, Momirovski, Averillo and now potentially Hampton miss games.

Plus with non CTRs I've had Pappy, Teddy, Host, Davey, Liddle, Milford, Lodge, Lam, Hoy, Taukeiaho miss games due to injury/suspension/form (Plus Cleary missed a week but we can let that slide)

Some of those are poor picks, and some I could have held (some I am still holding) but its meant I have spent too many trades looking for a certain position rather than best available player.

Plus when I've had a chance to make a good trade (eg bringing in iPap) I have looked opportunity in the eye and then turned the other way.
    Holy Moly
    Holy Moly

Post by Holy Moly Mon May 03, 2021 11:55 pm

rhinoceroo wrote:

No, he wasn't on anyone's radar here (maybe a few had him?) but the question was about this forum's underperformance and him *not* being on the radar is a part of it, because a fair number of the current top teams did. And he was definitely more valuable to start than as a pick-up.
    My guess is that those who picked Mahoney were aiming for RD13 bye coverage and so far far it's been a good play.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Mon May 03, 2021 11:56 pm

mattnz wrote:

There was so much value in hooker I don't think many serious teams would have started with him. Same with iPap.

But anyone that got on him early has done well out of it
    gouds
    gouds

Post by gouds Mon May 03, 2021 11:56 pm

What's people's thoughts on lomax? If Hampton is out,
    I need to buy a ctr or play 16. Couple of really bad scores and is now priced @ 475k. Is he still considered a top tier centre?
    Bethany_B
    Bethany_B

Post by Bethany_B Mon May 03, 2021 11:58 pm

gouds wrote:What's people's thoughts on lomax? If Hampton is out,
    I need to buy a ctr or play 16. Couple of really bad scores and is now priced @ 475k. Is he still considered a top tier centre?

He just broke his thumb mate, avoid.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Tue May 04, 2021 12:02 am

mattnz wrote:To be towards the top, there were a number of things that you needed to get right to start the season and there wasn't much leeway.

Cleary
    Fifita
    Watson
    Laurie
    Papy
    Brailey
    Mitchell
    Stefano
    Alvaro
    Welch or Kami
    McCullough
    Townsend

McCullough in 30 of the top 100 teams
    Welch 10
    Kami 0

Few of the others quite low as well although would have been higher and been traded out.

The phrase "must have" gets used a lot around here, but it is perfectly possible to have a very high ranking with only half of those players.

I'd say the top 6 are probably must have. Mitchell and Townsend would have been very handy and 1 of Stefano/Alvaro
    Bethany_B
    Bethany_B

Post by Bethany_B Tue May 04, 2021 12:06 am

Milchcow wrote:

McCullough in 30 of the top 100 teams
    Welch 10
    Kami 0

Few of the others quite low as well although would have been higher and been traded out.

The phrase "must have" gets used a lot around here, but it is perfectly possible to have a very high ranking with only half of those players.

I'd say the top 6 are probably must have. Mitchell and Townsend would have been very handy and 1 of Stefano/Alvaro

Yeah I agree.

In my case the only guys on the list I didn't start with were Mitchell, Alvaro (bought after round 2), Macca and Townsend. My main costly mistakes were selling Averillo early and starting with Lam.
    Chris nz

Post by Chris nz Tue May 04, 2021 1:10 am

Bethany_B wrote:

Yeah I agree.

In my case the only guys on the list I didn't start with were Mitchell, Alvaro (bought after round 2), Macca and Townsend. My main costly mistakes were selling Averillo early and starting with Lam.

To be honest brimson and fog early hurt a lot of people aswell the way the points and round averages / injurys and suspensions have been going with origin and byes to go that list is more of a in hindsight round 1-8 recap rather than where we have gone wrong as individuals and as a forum lots of footy left shit loads more twists and turns and I think a lot of peoples teams will come right with time it's easy to get a few picks right and start the year well.... my partner hardly watches this wonderful sport and literally names her team ( I don't care ) every year and she was in top 5k for the first 6 rounds she picked half her players because there names sounded cool lmao experience and general knowledge will come in handy later on in this season I expect majority of the forum will come right and with a bit of luck be serious contenders
    Bethany_B
    Bethany_B

Post by Bethany_B Tue May 04, 2021 2:04 am

Chris nz wrote:

To be honest brimson and fog early hurt a lot of people aswell the way the points and round averages / injurys and suspensions have been going with origin and byes to go that list is more of a in hindsight round 1-8 recap rather than where we have gone wrong as individuals and as a forum lots of footy left shit loads more twists and turns and I think a lot of peoples teams will come right with time it's easy to get a few picks right and start the year well.... my partner hardly watches this wonderful sport and literally names her team ( I don't care ) every year and she was in top 5k for the first 6 rounds she picked half her players because there names sounded cool lmao experience and general knowledge will come in handy later on in this season I expect majority of the forum will come right and with a bit of luck be serious contenders

Yeah Fog was one I copped (sold after his injury for Moses and am glad I did), and I had seriously considered Brimson over Fog to start with, so it could have all gone pear shaped so easily there.
    Jumping Marlin
    Jumping Marlin

Post by Jumping Marlin Tue May 04, 2021 5:22 am

Re starting teams:

I recall word out of Parra was that Maloney would not be playing 80, making him a hard avoid.

For Townsend, he had a long stretch playing next to Moylan back in around 2019 and averaged low 40s in that time.  He smashed anyone’s reasonable expectations.

Tino was another popular choice who hurt teams who started with him.

No facts to back this up, but the ranking seem much more bunched than in prior years.  Still only something like 100 points between 2900 rank and 1100 rank.
    Iron Mike
    Iron Mike

Post by Iron Mike Tue May 04, 2021 5:26 am

I have now pushed back into the top 1000 after being 11,000th after round 1. Steadily improved each week.

Biggest regret is Lam over Townsend to start at the same price. Lam sold to Walker after round 2.

Next would be taking Teddy at that price. And pissing around with Hoy. Bought in Papy for his 124 and sold for $150k profit when injured. Won't sell Teddy as you don't buy high and sell low.

Next would be starting with only Roberts and Averillo as centres. I still have both of them but bought Peachey for round 2.
    Peachey and Averillo the last four rounds has been gold. Not sure what to do with Roberts.

So my team would be much better if Townsend>Lam, Momo/Opacic>Roberts, Mitchell>Teddy. It's only 3 players picked differently over 8 rounds.

Plenty more opportunity to pick the right player over another.

Current date/time is Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:47 am